Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #181
rodderz

What a great final. One of the better games I've seen all year. The 1st half was very hard fought. It seemed like Geelong were expecting to win and went out with that in mind, the hawks went out with "stuff them, we'll play our own game" attitude, and it paid off.

Geelong had their opportunities, with Bateman and Croad off injured and a couple of others with injuries still on the ground they squandered opportunities and had they converted some opportunities into goals, I reckon Geelong would of ran away with it. The hawks were on the back foot for a while, especially when they deliberatly rushed a heap of behinds. But the hawks seemed to keep fighting and ended up running away with it.

Well done Hodgey for the Norm Smith, the guy is as tough as nails. A great possible sendoff for Crawf too, the guy has a massive heart. I'm tipping Sam Mitchell will miss the 1st few games next year with his 2 hits on Ablett too!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #182
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
Just got home from centre square, and what can i say but suck on that geelong! god its so sweet to shut geelong up after they were so cocky about "running over hawthorn easily" as well as all the omg hawks will only win if it rains.. or only if buddy kicks a big haul ha ha couldn't be more wrong. So happy for crawf and the best game of footy Ive ever been too.

Were a happy team at Hawthorn....
When did Geelong ever talk about running over Hawthorn easily? Just because a few supporters do, you're prepared to brush an entire club with the same paintbrush?

On SEN, a call-in poll suggested that the cockiest supporters in the finals were Hawthorn supporters, and although their premiership is well deserved, had the Hawks lost, the egg on their faces would have been significant.

How about you go back and read some of my posts and see what I said about Hawthorn? Maybe then you'll get a better feel of what real Geelong supporters are like, rather than the few bandwagon jumpers who don't know who Fred Flanagan, Bernie Smith or Edward Greeves are, or who only follow Geelong because of Bartel.

It's arrogance that makes clubs so disliked...don't do a discredit to your club.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #183
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
hawthorn deserve their success - there is no doubt about that. they went out there to play

the signs were there from the anthem, when hawthron stood arm in arm and geelong stood arms by their sides. one side seemed to be there for each other, maybe not the other

from around 3-4 minutes when hawthorn's nerves were over, geelong looked pretty ordinary. they dropped the ball, missed targets and couldn't kick a goal from 15 metres - all with virtually no pressure
Rubbish.

In the 1997 Grand Final, St Kilda stood arm in arm while the Crows didn't. Who won that Grand Final?

All these silly theories are about clutching straws.

Cometti also spoke crap saying, "the signs might have been there last week when Geelong v Bulldogs blah blah"...well last year we beat Collingwood by 5 points and Port beat the Kangas by 76 or thereabouts, yet we thrashed Port by 119.
GF is down to the day...the moment...not the year or the previous week.

Hawthorn won because they played smarter and were more efficient, while Geelong at times was lazy. Better on the day, and although I reckon Thompson is a great coach, Clarkson coached a lot better on the day.
Hawthorn had a very open forward line, while Geelong's was cluttered. Hawthorn did not get all that many shots on goal, but their running power from smaller men were always at the drop of the ball, while our lack of leg speed showed. Stokes played stupidly for a small man.

Our best three were Scarlett, Selwood and Ablett. Johnson got the ball, but he caused a lot of errors along the way. Stokes is a disgrace. Lazy.
Too many passengers.

At Hawthorn, the performance was more even. That's where the difference lies...not in the linking of arms or any of that gestural crap.

Hawthorn deserved to win as a premiership is about a team effort, and the previous 25 weeks of the season are consigned to toilet paper and quickly used.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 28-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #184
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
As Crawford said at the medal presentation.... "That's what i'm talkin' about!!"

GO THE HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

LOL I knew you'd be a happy chappy Fab, what with that avatar you've had for ages. hehe

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #185
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
All these silly theories are about clutching straws.
maybe so, but geelong were in deep trouble by hawthorn's first goal. it seemed geelong were not switched on at all. i still thought they would win after 10 minutes, but they needed to lift big time. they did not
you may be right, but the fact is they looked disinterested minutes before the game and did not play at a level that could have won it, for virtually the whole game
i think you were right about the lazy part. geelong tried to rely on talent - hawthorn relied on effort

but then, it doesn't matter what i think (or anyone else for that matter), a golden opprotunity was let slip by one side and was taken by the other. history will always state that hawthorn won in 2008

in some ways it is a pity as the best side over the year did not come out on top, but that is what finals are all about. one day only - and the team that takes their opportunities with both hands will be very deserving
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #186
prydey
Rob

brisbane had a golden patch and walked out of it with 3 premierships and 4 GF's in a row. thats making the most of your opportunities.

essendon, for all thier greatness (52 from 57 or something) have only 1 flag to show for it.

geelong now have squandered their chance to do something special. 42 from 44 so far and only 1 flag. i think they went out there just expecting to win.

If young gary didn't have ablett for a surname, i don't think you'd hear half as much about him as what you do. i'm not saying he is not a great footballer, i'm saying the commentators get a bit too much to bear at times. there were about 20 players out there having a better game and yet when he got his hands on it they all ooh and aah like he's got the sun shining from you know where.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #187
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
brisbane had a golden patch and walked out of it with 3 premierships and 4 GF's in a row. thats making the most of your opportunities.

essendon, for all thier greatness (52 from 57 or something) have only 1 flag to show for it.

geelong now have squandered their chance to do something special. 42 from 44 so far and only 1 flag. i think they went out there just expecting to win.

If young gary didn't have ablett for a surname, i don't think you'd hear half as much about him as what you do. i'm not saying he is not a great footballer, i'm saying the commentators get a bit too much to bear at times. there were about 20 players out there having a better game and yet when he got his hands on it they all ooh and aah like he's got the sun shining from you know where.
When your team mates are not putting in an effort, Ablett's effort was supreme.
He broke through tackles and tried to make opportunities.
I don't agree with you totally. Yes, his name is recognised, but considering how great his father was, his PEERS AND the coaches of the AFL have voted him the best player. You don't win both in the same year just on a surname. He earned it.
20 players did not have a better game. Very few did. That's a distorted opinion based on the fact that his team didn't win.
He had a game high number of possessions, he was targeted twice off the ball and still got up, had the second most number of contested possessions, broke tackles as usual, and kicked two goals.

I do not believe your point is highly validated.

Ablett almost won the Brownlow, won several awards, and came second in the Norm Smith Medal. Commentators aside. He is worthy of adulation.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 28-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #188
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

a bit of worthless trivia - slightly off topic, but slightly relevant to yesterday's game

in my life footscray/western bulldogs have lost 5 preliminary finals. in 4 of those years one of our players polled the most votes in the brownlow

in the 3 years we won the brownlow, the team that defeated us lost the grand final. in the other 2 years, the team that defeated us won the grand final
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #189
prydey
Rob

Quote:
He is worthy of adulation.
i never said he wasn't a great player. i just meant that at times the commentators go a bit over the top when he touches the ball. there is one d.cometti that i cannot stand. bruce is no better. expert comments by lethal were about the only ones i could stomach. one of the best call's going is triple m but its always out of synch if you have that playing whilst watching the tv.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #190
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Commentators have to make the game interesting...their job is to make the good players bigger than they are. IF not, their commentary would be boring.

Dake Thomas IMO is among the most overrated players in the league, but commentators always make his few productive deeds seem majorly important because they know that people's perception will be altered by their commentary...and it works.

I have no problem with Ablett being made big, because in my opinion, he has been the best player in the league over the past two seasons, and yesterday was not his fault. He was one of few whose form was level with their reputation.

Players like Steve Johnson are not as good and always are spoken up by commentators. I'm not a big Steve Johnson fan because I feel he's a genuine idiot.

One of the best players to watch over the past decade has been Andrew McLeod. The commentators get excited when watching him, and I reckon he's just great to watch. He moves so smoothly and his ball use is normally excellent.

I think a lot of people dislike Ablett because he is so good, and his father was so good.

People envy success. Nobody cared about Geelong until they started winning last year.
Now, Hawthorn will be the hunted team next year, and all other 15 teams envied the position they were in at 5:30pm on Saturday afternoon, as each captain of those teams would have loved to lift the cup in place of Sam Mitchell.

There is a lot of bullpoop in football, which is formulated by the media, as well as loud-mouthed footballers.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 28-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #191
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I'm not a big Steve Johnson fan because I feel he's a genuine idiot.
Atleast I'm not the only one.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #192
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Atleast I'm not the only one.
I presume you mean not the only person who thinks Steve Johnson is an idiot, and not that you are not the only idiot :P

But I think Johnson is just a receiver too often. In last year's Grand Final, all of his goals were easy receives with little pressure.

Chapman was way, way better, and IMO best on ground was Scarlett, who two years in a row has been among Geelong's best players on the big day.

Johnson is the kind of person who doesn't appreciate the opportunity they have in playing AFL, nor do they accept the responsibility.

There is an argument that AFL players should not have to uphold the standards that are expected and reluctantly placed upon them, but when you represent a business and a sporting organisation, as well as earn a bloody good wage for kicking around a piece of leather, it is something you take on board, whether you want it or not.

Professional sport is constantly analysed and scrutinised for good and bad reasons, and a large degree of that is player behaviour.

If you don't want that spotlight on you, then go and play with your local football team, and nobody will care about you.

Didak and Shaw learned that this year the hard way, as did Johnson last year.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #193
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Absolutely gutted. That's all I have to say...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #194
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Absolutely gutted. That's all I have to say...
I am more peeved...we should have won the game, given our form all year, as well as our opportunities.

Hawthorn played so much better and had a better system up forward.
We had no system, and no accuracy.

So given our poor performance on the day, we didn't deserve it. Too many passengers.

Gary Ablett showed why he was the best in the AFL in the Grand Final...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #195
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i never said he wasn't a great player. i just meant that at times the commentators go a bit over the top when he touches the ball. there is one d.cometti that i cannot stand. bruce is no better. expert comments by lethal were about the only ones i could stomach. one of the best call's going is triple m but its always out of synch if you have that playing whilst watching the tv.
Cough* Buddy Franklin* Cough.

Some commentators think he's the second coming, yet the past 2 big games he has had little influence on the game like they all expected him too.

Ablett on the other hand stood up like a true champion does.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #196
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Franklin is good, but he is really still a receiver. If the supply from down the ground is cut, he won't get goals.
If he improved his fitness base and became more of a centreman, he'd be even better.

Look what it did for Ablett...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #197
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Quote:
Ummmm do u mean for Geelong or AFL in general? cause I'm pretty sure if he was the best he would have won the norm smith ( or brownlow )? ( Icing on the cake watching him cry when they announced Hodge the winner ). IMO after watching the game for the 5th time Ablett really does love to play for the free kicks, not to mention geelong had a lot of "helpfull" free kicks, 7 of there goals were from frees on top of the 29-21 overall tally, Don't care what any one thinks but Mclarren was wearing a Geelong jersey under that red shirt of his.

Geelong had all the help they needed, but like i said they got cocky they thought they would come to the game and beat hawthorn without a challenge. I'm also curious, if Geelong were so good why did they double team Buddy? didn't see hawthorn double team any geelong players? ( especially Ablett )
pejamas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #198
SLY XR8
Who's your Daddy now

Quote:
I am more peeved...we should have won the game, given our form all year, as well as our opportunities.

Hawthorn played so much better and had a better system up forward.
We had no system, and no accuracy.

So given our poor performance on the day, we didn't deserve it. Too many passengers.

They were lucky to even make the Grand Final. If the Dogs had a full forward Geelong would have had an extra week off. Put Geelong under pressure and play them man on man thats what happens they can't handle it.

And the only thing Gary Ablett Showed he was the best at was Crying..

GO the Hawks...