Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #2071
Spinner77

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Followers of this thread might be interested in knowing that the printed June issue of Choice magazine carries an article on payback periods for solar.

On account of copyright, I have to be careful. A lot of public libraries subscribe to Choice, so you can research the article there if you are interested.

But it looks as if they have had some serious modelling done for a 2.0kW system exporting 30 per cent and 50 per cent respectively. I say it is serious because they seem to have taken most of the things into consideration that you might expect from a professional accountant. That includes the time value of money (discount rate), degradation of the system, increases in the cost of electricity (assumed to be 0.25%) etc. There are said to be 15 variables in all.

Choice does not provide numbers on the payback period, but gives readers a bar chart. The winner looks to me to be the NT, where the payback time is 4 years (for exporting either 30 or 50 per cent). The longest seems to be Victoria: payback looks like up to 10 years (50 per cent export) and about 6-8 years (30 per cent export). In NSW the maximum payback period appears to be around 9 years (50 per cent), and about 6-7 years (30 per cent). SA is a maximum of just under 8 years (50), and about 6-7 (30).

The message I get from the article is to minimise your export to the grid. The differences between the 30 and 50 per cent export scenarios are significant (except in the NT, and - wouldn't you know it? - the ACT where the payback periods do not seem affected by the power exported). Accordingly, the article seems to favour smaller systems.

My personal reaction is that one criticism of the analysis could be its very conservative assumption on increases in the price of electricity.
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #2072
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey a QQ

I am moving house, and will monitor my usage there and choose a system (Prolly 3-4kw) and install in the next 18 months.

Can I get my Solar 3ph Meter installed at build time, and save some coin (even though I do not do the solar install yet ??)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #2073
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Having my 5kw system installed as I type this.
Will also make enquiries with SP Ausnet as to the costs involved in going to 3 phase at my place for future upgrades.
You will need 2 truck appointments, cost around $600, plus the cost of your REC doing any work needed.

That would be my guess.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #2074
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Hey a QQ

I am moving house, and will monitor my usage there and choose a system (Prolly 3-4kw) and install in the next 18 months.

Can I get my Solar 3ph Meter installed at build time, and save some coin (even though I do not do the solar install yet ??)
Depends on your state, in Victoria you can get the Meyer but it will need to be reprogrammed at the time your solar system is installed. This will still cost you. In Vic nothing you can do to get around the cost.
Old 20-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #2075
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

My 3.99kW system just had it's first birthday. Yay!
It's generated 5686 Kwh for the year, and I'm exporting an average of 60.2%.
Very happy, considering I live in Sunny Ballarat
Old 21-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #2076
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Just got my letter from AGL re the price increases from July 1st. Looks like they're bringing QLD in line with our brothers down south:

Tariff 11: Up from 26c to 30c /kW
Supply: Up from 30c to 57c /day

Maybe fair enough on the tariff increase (not saying that because I've got solar) but near doubling the supply charge as well - for christs sake, that's gouging at the extreme.

Thieving bastards.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #2077
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Just got my letter from AGL re the price increases from July 1st. Looks like they're bringing QLD in line with our brothers down south:

Tariff 11: Up from 26c to 30c /kW
Supply: Up from 30c to 57c /day

Maybe fair enough on the tariff increase (not saying that because I've got solar) but near doubling the supply charge as well - for christs sake, that's gouging at the extreme.

Thieving bastards.
Wow your supply charge is still half that of Victoria.

I pay around $1.05 after GST per day about and about the same per Kwh

What you have to remember about Queensland rates, was that the Gov. put a freeze on the rates last year. So no price increase. So basically this price increase you are seeing is 2 years worth of rate increase in 1 rate increase. If Queensland had a price increase last year, the increase this year would not have looked so massive.
Old 22-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #2078
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 days time sees the 1st anniversary of our 1.5kW system being installed.
In that time, we've generated 2430kW/h, an average of 6.64kW/h per day averaged out over the whole year. Not bad I reckon! Glad we put it up now.
Old 22-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #2079
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

WA electricity prices are going up again from 22.8c to over 25c per unit i see
they didnt say if the 8.4c they buy solar at will be going up but i would say no it wont :(

but now my solar is working correctly i have been getting just under 13kw/h a day for this time of year (12.94 yesterday and a 3kw system) compared with 9.something this time last year when they forgot to hook up 1 panel
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #2080
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
WA electricity prices are going up again from 22.8c to over 25c per unit i see
Sorry, but I gotta laugh at that, when here in SA, the cheapest rate for kW/h starts at around 32c and the highest is over 40c. But, we do get 25c per unit of solar fed back in to the grid, for now.
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #2081
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
My 3.99kW system just had it's first birthday. Yay!
It's generated 5686 Kwh for the year, and I'm exporting an average of 60.2%.
Very happy, considering I live in Sunny Ballarat
So, in "Sunny" Ballarat, what was your average bill before solar, and what is it now ? The inlaws live just outside Ballarat and have only recently had solar fitted............
Old 23-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #2082
Rastus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
So, in "Sunny" Ballarat, what was your average bill before solar, and what is it now ? The inlaws live just outside Ballarat and have only recently had solar fitted............
I just went and asked the Minister of War & Finance, and she tells me our bills were ranging from $400-$600 a quarter, with the highest being approx $700.
I know we based our daily usage at time of specc'ing up our system at about 16Kwh/day. While I went and put a few led globes in and was a little bit more aware of our power use since the solar install, I reckon we're trending more in our usage again with the kids and their electronics usage (2 teenage girls/pre-teen boy)
At present we're in credit as you might see in my previous posts, and we should stay that way. My Spring & Summer bills should be in credit by a good amount, Autumn pretty much @zero and my winter (Mid May-Mid August) I'm guessing will be in the negative by a bit. (TFIT@.33c) I'll know for sure at the end of August.
The energy retailers will slowly screw us over though, with the daily supply charge going up & up, see xisled's post @ ~$1.00 day, as well as peak supply rates guaranteed to overtake my feed in tariff. I'm glad more than 1/2 of our usage is off-peak.
Old 23-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #2083
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

I've been told to wash the solar panels every 3-4 months with fresh water. Anyone else heard of that ?
Old 23-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #2084
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've been told to wash the solar panels every 3-4 months with fresh water. Anyone else heard of that ?
Mine are getting a wash with fresh water today! It's falling from the sky, for free!
But yes, others in this thread have mentioned that you would see a slight improvement on the amount of power generated should you wash your panels on a regular basis.
Old 23-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #2085
Rastus

Yeah, if it hasn't rained for a while & they're looking a little dusty, a spray with the hose can't hurt. And if you've got stubborn stuff like sap, pollen or bird crap even a squeegee would be good.
I bought a squeegee head from Bunnings and attached it to an Aldi extendable handle. Works a treat after a good spray from the hose. You wouldn't want to use anything harsh though which could scratch the panels.
Old 23-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #2086
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if they are extremely dirty yes, otherwise the improvement is really not all that noticeable.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #2087
prydey
Rob

and if you do decide to give them a clean, make sure they aren't hot.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #2088
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77 View Post
Followers of this thread might be interested in knowing that the printed June issue of Choice magazine carries an article on payback periods for solar.

On account of copyright, I have to be careful. A lot of public libraries subscribe to Choice, so you can research the article there if you are interested.

But it looks as if they have had some serious modelling done for a 2.0kW system exporting 30 per cent and 50 per cent respectively. I say it is serious because they seem to have taken most of the things into consideration that you might expect from a professional accountant. That includes the time value of money (discount rate), degradation of the system, increases in the cost of electricity (assumed to be 0.25%) etc. There are said to be 15 variables in all.

Choice does not provide numbers on the payback period, but gives readers a bar chart. The winner looks to me to be the NT, where the payback time is 4 years (for exporting either 30 or 50 per cent). The longest seems to be Victoria: payback looks like up to 10 years (50 per cent export) and about 6-8 years (30 per cent export). In NSW the maximum payback period appears to be around 9 years (50 per cent), and about 6-7 years (30 per cent). SA is a maximum of just under 8 years (50), and about 6-7 (30).

The message I get from the article is to minimise your export to the grid. The differences between the 30 and 50 per cent export scenarios are significant (except in the NT, and - wouldn't you know it? - the ACT where the payback periods do not seem affected by the power exported). Accordingly, the article seems to favour smaller systems.

My personal reaction is that one criticism of the analysis could be its very conservative assumption on increases in the price of electricity.

I am aware of this, and other article's, and have studied it intensely,whilst I attribute a lot of knowledge to choice and its contributors I must say i find a lot of "flaws" in the calculations.

I am pushing my second year with solar now, I have also been involved with a large number of installs and have built up a substantial knowledge base that can be backed up with hard figures. my own and many others

personally, my outcome has been fantastic.....payback period is of no real consequence to me, solar is not to be looked at as a "short term investment"

there are a lot of variables when taking solar into account.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 24-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #2089
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
and if you do decide to give them a clean, make sure they aren't hot.
No chance of that up here in the last 6 months............
Old 27-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #2090
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well after first full year of solar (geez that went quick ) saved $1,560 and have $338.01 in credit gotta say very happy with that.solar is good for my wallet & the environment talk about a win,win
Old 27-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #2091
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
well after first full year of solar (geez that went quick ) saved $1,560 and have $338.01 in credit gotta say very happy with that.solar is good for my wallet & the environment talk about a win,win
very similar to our experience......well done.

just got a letter from Lumo to say that the price of power is to go up by 4% as well as supply charge.

I really cant see where the "contract" part of my "contract" is when they have broken it twice within a very short space in time.

Old 27-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #2092
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
very similar to our experience......well done.

just got a letter from Lumo to say that the price of power is to go up by 4% as well as supply charge.

I really cant see where the "contract" part of my "contract" is when they have broken it twice within a very short space in time.
Your contract will have a clause to say they can raise the price with x days notice, Also it will say they can charge you extra for any necessary charges.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #2093
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

I'll apologise now if this has been answered already.

Do you actually ever receive solar credits in the hand? When do they pay up, especially since you have to declare it as income at tax time?
I'm with Origin energy in Brisbane BTW.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #2094
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN View Post

Do you actually ever receive solar credits in the hand? When do they pay up, especially since you have to declare it as income at tax time?
I'm in Brisbane, but with AGL. I originally waited for the full twelve months to get my credits back, I now get them quarterly after my bill comes in. All I have to do is ring them up (accounts section) and ask for my credit to either be direct deposited into my bank account, or they will mail a cheque. Usually this takes 5 working days.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #2095
Muzzle

Solar PV panels waste of money in WA. Govt cut rebates. Got a 1 kw system and is a waste of time better to get a stand alone system on batteries if you are that keen on solar. Solar hot water system is great though always have hot water even in winter, the booster will only come on when the water drops below a certain temp. If you have a big family get more storage.
Ours was installed when the house was built in 1985 and is still going strong.
Muzzle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #2096
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle View Post
Solar PV panels waste of money in WA. Govt cut rebates. Got a 1 kw system and is a waste of time better to get a stand alone system on batteries if you are that keen on solar. Solar hot water system is great though always have hot water even in winter, the booster will only come on when the water drops below a certain temp. If you have a big family get more storage.
Ours was installed when the house was built in 1985 and is still going strong.
no offense, but a 1kw system wouldn't do much for a lot of families regardless of rebates.

solar can still reduce your bill if you do your sums and work out the right size system for you. lack of rebate means the payback period is greatly increased but no one knows what the future holds as far as electricity pricing goes either.

the unfortunate thing with the solar scheme is too many people saw it as a money making exercise.

it should always have been set up as a kwh credit system rather than a money system. if you feed 100kwh back to the grid, you get 100kwh credit. a 'one for one' type system.

all too late now. all states will be rebate free in the next 12 months i'm tipping.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #2097
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle View Post
Solar PV panels waste of money in WA. Govt cut rebates. Got a 1 kw system and is a waste of time better to get a stand alone system on batteries if you are that keen on solar.
even a system as small as 1 kilowatt will reduce usage in the home and therefore the account by a reasonable amount. solar is never a waste of money,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN

if you have a credit and wish to claim it (cash it in) ring your supplier and tell them so, normally the ammo8int will be credited to your bank account within a day or so.

unless you notify them that you wish to claim your credits it will remain as a credit on your account indefinitely.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #2098
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a fairly decent power usage each week, as being pensioners and indoors for a lot of the time, our last power bill from agl was from memory over $800.00, and over a thousand(cough) before a winter time concession(did someone say thieving bastards? ) it seems not to many years ago we were paying 250/300 max.
Just wondering has anybody had a go at a do it yourself off the grid system ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #2099
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

working on one now Mik, not mine though.

all parts sourced through ebay or online to try to keep the cost down just as an experiment. (pensioners). I'd like to go stand alone myself but the council is a bit funny and I will still be paying for "supply"

$1,000 for 3 months is a bit painful mate.......ours used to be around $250 a quarter then it shot up to over $600.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #2100
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
working on one now Mik, not mine though.

all parts sourced through ebay or online to try to keep the cost down just as an experiment. (pensioners). I'd like to go stand alone myself but the council is a bit funny and I will still be paying for "supply"

$1,000 for 3 months is a bit painful mate.......ours used to be around $250 a quarter then it shot up to over $600.
good onya Poppa and good luck with it, let us know how you go mate.
yeah cost is getting outta hand , i have thought about it, we have a fairly decent size garage with a partitioned off tool room, only guessing, i'd say it's 4m wide.....maybe a little more roof area with over hang and about 9 or 10 m long, and right behind it is a galvanized shed about 4m L x 2m W with 7 foot high roof,
it would make an ideal battery room i think, just needs about 16 years of accumulated crap that will probably never get used disposed of , a good excuse to have a spring clean(throw some **** out).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post