Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #211
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knew this would cause some confusion and also clarify some situations. Yes HERXR8 now you know why it happens,theres no law against it,though it could be different in VIc. As for Bindi, there is no law in NSW making it illegal to UNDERTAKE but yes all of us are taught to keep left its just that some of us are just plain ignorant of other people or arrogant to think not to G.A.S. I am not sure about other states regarding undertaking but it is illegal in some other countries.
KEEPLEFT, nowhere in the new or old rules does it say it is an offence to drive in the right hand lane if it posted @ 50,60,70,80kph. A motorway is clearly marked and the law is very clear regarding keeping left. In actual fact a section called MULTI-LANED roads, from the old handbook is not included in the NEW rules I downloaded yesterday. In part it states; If you are driving along a road with marked lanes it is safest to stay in the left lane.Overtake in the right lane and move back to the left lane as soon as it is safe to do so.If the road has a speed limit of more than 80kph,or a KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING sign,you must drive in the left lane unless you want to overtake or turn right.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #212
AdzT3-146
own the road

does it get seriously policed though? has anyone ever been done for sitting in the right lane doin 90 in a 90 zone for example?
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #213
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With it now attracting 3 demerit points and $250 fine lets hpoe so. _
Old 10-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #214
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

DeeSun wrote: "KEEPLEFT, nowhere in the new or old rules does it say it is an offence to drive in the right hand lane if it posted @ 50,60,70,80kph".

As I typed earlier, it is NOT an offence to drive in the right lane in those zones UNLESS the road also has a keep left unless overtaking sign posted.

As to the previous RUH text on the multi-lane matter generally, where in bold we wrote ' . . keep left', it was felt that owing the absence of a regulation that directly prohibited a driver from driving in the right lane in those speed zones not posted with a 'keep left unless overtaking' sign, that we'd soften the new book to better reflect that reality in that regard.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #215
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in answer to my question I take that as a NO,but please excuse me if I wait on an answer direct from the RTA as I have no idea who you are. But if you had any input into draughting these regulations I would have made it so the rule INCLUDED 80kph zones and I'm sure I'm not alone here. Ask average Joe and I reckon he thinks it does but I doubt he obeys it. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #216
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Vic you can drive in the right lane making an **** of yourself unless -:

A) zoned above 80kph
B) sign posted keep left.

It's been like that for many years. I'm surprised so few know it as it was on my license test 12 years ago. It may have been on my L plate test 14 years ago but I can't remember.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #217
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
. I'm surprised so few know it as it was on my license test 12 years ago. It may have been on my L plate test 14 years ago but I can't remember.
Current L Plate/License testing is crap. It's too easy to get your license nowadays, you might as well be getting it out of a cereal box.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #218
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Deesun, what is taught in each driver manual is not always a true reflection of law, and some legal items in turn are missing from the manuals.

Insofar as the 90km/h recognition, this figure was arrived at by discussion with each Australian states participating transport public servants. Some states had to change a lot of law, some didn't.

In the case of NSW, we lost our previous '80km/h and above' requirement for keeping left.

I've been keeping a close personal eye on this stuff since Keating kicked off national harmonisation.

The states have committed to keeping uniformity, that said, it is possible for a state to create its own additional regulation modifiying behaviour or requirement.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 10-07-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #219
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nloads/p11.pdf

Start from Page 4

Details for NSW laws are here.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #220
Mustang Dave

People who sit slightly under the speed limit on a single lane rd and then speed up when they reach an overtaking lane ing_sm
Mustang Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #221
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its obvious many of the beurocrats sitting around the table thrashing these things out don't have to drive on our and other states clogged up crappy roads but I reiterate there would be VERY few people in this fiorum no matter what state they are from who would prefer 90+ to 80+ ruling.

Last edited by deesun; 10-07-2005 at 10:55 PM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #222
bscampbell

When on a dual lane road and there is nobody else around except the person coming up behind you who overtakes then pulls back right in front of you! Why they don't just stay in the right lane for at least a whole 10-15 seconds longer bewilders me. Annoys me even more if they fling rocks at you as they pull back in front.

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 01:38 AM   #223
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dave
People who sit slightly under the speed limit on a single lane rd and then speed up when they reach an overtaking lane ing_sm
Or when you go to overtake someone and they speed up (which is actually illegal) on you.

I have many pet hates ... trying to remember them is difficult ... I could be here all day.

Being a courier driver .... I see a lot of bad driving habits by people on the road ... and I have seen some really dangerous drivers out there (not the fast ones .... the drivers without any clue at all are the worst).

A saying I always go by is "He (or she) who hesitates is LOST (or dead in some cases)"
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 AM   #224
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

this is from a while back...

Quote:
I said an SV6 with minor mods will beat an XR8 with no problems. XR8's run mid 14's, and once in a blue moon with a good driver run 13.9?. That's half a second difference. Minor mods will make up this time plus more very easily
...but i would love to know what minor mods will send an SV6 into the high 13 bracket...
Full comp insurance :nutsycuck
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #225
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I know that some do not agree with my GT stripes on my car, too bad but this is what I think is all so wrong!

XT NA6 GT look alike
Old 18-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #226
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
I know that some do not agree with my GT stripes on my car, too bad but this is what I think is all so wrong!

XT NA6 GT look alike
yep thats a bit ghey
Old 19-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #227
XB_fairmont
Starter Motor

I have a special name for right hand lane hogs. Enforcers of the speed limit. They feel they have been deputised by the forces that be to maintain the speed limit. Drives me nuts!
What bothers me more is when they hit a round-about or an intersection they are most likely to stop because they are over cautious, where as I'll steam through, because I've look before getting to the intersection.

I drive a old diesel landcruiser and i can't afford to lose momentum, when on the highway i'll sit between 110-120, i'll be coming to a hill and there will be this dick in a sports car (Porshe, BMW M3 etc) doind 100km/h and he won't pull over so i lose momentum and do end up doing 80kms/s up the hill. I should just keep going!!! What is up with these @rseholes?

Gosford- Sydney, I've had a Nissan GTR doing 60km/h in the right hand land whilst talikg to his mate in the left hand land, unfortunatly i was in a Honda quibbles car with CVT. Wish i was in the LC!

Other things that bother me...

Stick on bonnet scoopes, "if it to loud, you're to old" stickers. exhausts that sound like you're dropping your guts. People who put their seats so far back they can't steer the car effectivly. Seats in cars that are so low that it looks like Dicky-Knee driving. Arm hangers. hacked springs, 10" exhausts,
People who think distorted music is acceptable.
$5000 Hyundi with $15000 worth of stereo , paint , fiberglass , glitter etc.

I'm done ....
XB_fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #228
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

My biggest pet hates of the moment:
  1. Having just moved, people who just "have" to get infront of a truck, no matter if their turning 20 metres up the road, your on the speed limit and you've got a 40 metre gap behind you.
  2. The amount of cars in NSW that have indicators fitted as optional extras, because the standard ones obviously don't work.
  3. School Zones: the ones on 70 km/h multi-lane roads that have a pedestrian over-bridge and fences for 100 metres either side of the school; The ones that have the signs obscured by trees and you only realise you've been in the zone on the wayout. The idiot parents that double-park, cross the road outside of the designated crossings from between cars (with child in tow), speed through the zone to get child 2 from high school after getting child 1 from primary, don't care about indicating anything, crawl along the road looking for their child then stop in the middle of the road to collect them, perform u-turns in the middle of said zone over double lines, and lastly, the fact the police seem oblivious to this and won't/can't police these areas.
  4. The fact the idiots in government don't think it's worthy to install solar powered flashing yellow lights on ALL school zones (to flash on the appropriate day and times).
  5. The lack of red-light-cameras on the intersections that really need them. Stacey St - Hume Hwy anyone? (Yet they whack speed cameras everywhere).
I think that will do for now.... :Reverend:

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #229
bscampbell

From a bike riding perspective...

When happily pedalling along, someone races up on the outside (right) of you then cuts you off to turn left onto another road...

Coming up to a single lane roundabout, cars try and beat you to it, but they end up slowing the bike rider down because they can't take it as quickly!

People trying to nudge through a single lane roundabout while you are in it...I had someone do this to me once...he was close enough for me to whack his passenger window with my hand, which I did with an almighty crack as my ring (the one you wear on your finger) hit the window...

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 06:57 PM   #230
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Oh oh oh! I thought of another one! A truck is trying to get a bit of a run-up to get up a hill at a decent speed (and not have to change down 16 gears), and gets stuck behind some d*ckhead who's doing 10ks below the speed limit. The poor truckie has no choice but to change gears and lose all that power - then has to snail-pace the hill. Most of the time with pi55ed off drivers behind him, blaming him.

People just don't think of truckies or buses, no wonder they get the sh!ts and push us around (after years of putting up with it, I would lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #231
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Got another....(warming up now)
People who think round-a-bouts are "Give way to the right" not "Give way to trafic ON round-a-bout". Try driving through the multitude in suburban Auburn/Granville. I used to do this twice daily to and from work, I survived at least one near-miss everyday!

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 20-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #232
B.J(inCanb)

People in car parks that cannot see anything wrong with bashing the car next to them with their door. I am always so careful of others cars I would like the courtesy back.
Old 25-07-2005, 12:34 AM   #233
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Lol was just thinking about my earlier post in this thread (Post #12) and well I think I was a bit hypocritical when it comes to stupid stickers on cars because my daughter recently bought me a number plate surround that says "yes it's fast and NO you can't drive it"

Well, I wondered whether I should actually put it on the plate thinking 'that's a bit lame' lol but knew I'd hurt her feelings if I didn't so I put it on BUT I quietly cringe everytime a car is behind me lol because I know it's being read.

Ahhhh well I'll leave it on for a while but I think it might "accidentally" break and need to come off, some time soon lol.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 12:56 AM   #234
xrgran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
Lol was just thinking about my earlier post in this thread (Post #12) and well I think I was a bit hypocritical when it comes to stupid stickers on cars because my daughter recently bought me a number plate surround that says "yes it's fast and NO you can't drive it"

Well, I wondered whether I should actually put it on the plate thinking 'that's a bit lame' lol but knew I'd hurt her feelings if I didn't so I put it on BUT I quietly cringe everytime a car is behind me lol because I know it's being read.

Ahhhh well I'll leave it on for a while but I think it might "accidentally" break and need to come off, some time soon lol.
ahh, it's the thought that counts Kris. Your girl obviously knows you adore your car, so in her own way is helping you to 'customise' it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 06:20 AM   #235
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
Would it help it we all endorse it and give you "permission" to use it? Cos I think it's kinda funny and kinda cool - and it's not ott like those huge stickers! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 07:37 AM   #236
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

People who sit on 60km/h on Pennant Hills Rd for no aparrent reason. The speed limit is 70 dammit!

There is no cars in front of them, it is a well made, wide multi-laned road and yet heaps of drivers still feel that it is necessary to sit in the right lane and do 10km/h under the speed limit.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #237
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
People who sit on 60km/h on Pennant Hills Rd for no aparrent reason. The speed limit is 70 dammit!

There is no cars in front of them, it is a well made, wide multi-laned road and yet heaps of drivers still feel that it is necessary to sit in the right lane and do 10km/h under the speed limit.

Which is in itself, not an offence.

Even if the limit is raised to 80km/h, as NSW is removing 70 and 90km/h speed zones, it will not remain an offence.

That said, 'good behaviour' would have drivers using the left or middle lane routinely. The road is not freeway category where one would keep left, not middle.
Old 25-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #238
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Which is in itself, not an offence.

Even if the limit is raised to 80km/h, as NSW is removing 70 and 90km/h speed zones, it will not remain an offence.

That said, 'good behaviour' would have drivers using the left or middle lane routinely. The road is not freeway category where one would keep left, not middle.
Indeed... But it's still a pain in the @rse.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #239
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
Indeed... But it's still a pain in the @rse.
I agree, what a pain....
Went and picked the missus up from Sydney CBD on Saturday night. I had to flash 5 people on the way in (20 min drive) for driving under the limit in the right lane on the M5/Eastern Distributer. I found another 2 on the way home. They looked at me like I was the person in the wrong. One driver was the only car for 100 metres either side but still sat in the right lane on 90 in a 110 zone....

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 25-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #240
GraveDilute

People who can't merge give me the sh*ts as well as people who get up my a@$ in a school zone because they don't want to wait (usually non MILF with kids wearing no seat belts in passenger seat)

Also, non road related but..
Mechanics who think they can bamboozle you with quasi technical language and then try to be your best mate when you ask them a proper question which reveals that you're not going to be taken in by their bull
GraveDilute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post