Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #211
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: QLD New Cycling Laws Exposes Flaw in New CyclingLaws.

I don't have an issue giving cyclists room. What drives me insane is the cyclists who ride through traffic to get to the front of the lights- then you get stuck behind them till you can safely pass them. Because you are held up you often miss the next lights. And so they pass you again. And so the circus continues up the road. Why are they so impatient that they cannot wait in the queue with the other road users? If they did this you would only pass them once. Isn't that the dangerous part they have had to write laws on? Why not remove half of the dangerous events by just waiting your turn?

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #212
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have personal insurance for when I ride. Covers up to 5mil in damages and injury. Well worth it for the peace of mind knowing not only am I covering myself but others too be it cyclists or drivers. I would hate it if I knew I was at fault and did not at least provide the minimum cover for others I may have contributed in injuring at the scene of an accident.

I believe it should be compulsory for parents to provide cover for their children (on bikes) on public footpaths, and public roads where no cycling track is provided.

I also believe it should be mandatory if not penalized for any driver to not have the minimum CTP cover for ANY damage or injury to others including property. The amount of times I hear people who drive vehicles with zero insurance scares me, and it's becoming all too common, yet you hear nothing about it in the tabloids. Why should I be using my comprehensive insurance to cover F-wits who are too stingy to not bother? If you cant afford to get the very minimum/basic insurance you should not be on the roads/paths, cyclists included.

Back on topic, agree that personal and public liability insurance is a must for cyclists.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #213
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I don't have an issue giving cyclists room. What drives me insane is the cyclists who ride through traffic to get to the front of the lights- then you get stuck behind them till you can safely pass them. Because you are held up you often miss the next lights. And so they pass you again. And so the circus continues up the road. Why are they so impatient that they cannot wait in the queue with the other road users? If they did this you would only pass them once. Isn't that the dangerous part they have had to write laws on? Why not remove half of the dangerous events by just waiting your turn?
Totally agree.

I am a cyclist and hate it as well - nothing worse than a cyclist that thinks they are a motorcyclist.

I always stay in my spot like a car - and in stop start city traffic I can hold my spot, just like a car as the speed isn't that high.

Doing so not only prevents ****ing motorists off, it also means less cars passing me so win win

Sadly too few cyclists, just like most road users think it is all about them and them only, stuff everyone esle.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #214
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226
Totally agree.

I am a cyclist and hate it as well - nothing worse than a cyclist that thinks they are a motorcyclist.

I always stay in my spot like a car - and in stop start city traffic I can hold my spot, just like a car as the speed isn't that high.

Doing so not only prevents ****ing motorists off, it also means less cars passing me so win win

Sadly too few cyclists, just like most road users think it is all about them and them only, stuff everyone esle.

agree as well. i also hold my spot in the queue if there is no bike lane. mind you, i don't tend to ride a lot in peak hour type traffic, so i'm never really mixing it up with long lines of cars.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #215
nstg8a

I saw a cyclist pulled over by an unmarked popo after work today, cyclist passed me and the unmarked in front of me (I hadn't even noticed it was a cop lol) then moved directly in front of the cop and did that balancing act they do when don't wanna unclip their feet. Soon as the lights went green the cop put his lights and siren on, I nearly crappered myself.
Would love to have heard that conversation.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #216
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I don't have a problem with cyclists using the roads if they wish, but im buggered if I can understand why they want to.

Im a truck driver.
Every day I see stupidity on the roads amongst car/bike/truck traffic, im damned if I'd ride amongst it all just because I can.
Just yesterday I sat front row whilst a hybrid Camry driven by an Indian chap went toe to toe with a b double carting fuel on Adelaide's busiest road.

No one cares anymore, everyone is in a hurry and the only considerations are for themselves.

10 years ago I sat for my motorcycle license, I sold my new ZZR before it had 2000k's on it as the close encounters from ignorant motorists turned me off real quick.

I recently jumped back on the bike but only on designated bike paths, when you see first hand daily what your dealing with its not worth the risk to go out on the road.

My 2c.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #217
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...line-/2443076/
It's getting nasty.............
Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #218
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I don't have a problem with cyclists using the roads if they wish, but im buggered if I can understand why they want to.

Im a truck driver.
Every day I see stupidity on the roads amongst car/bike/truck traffic, im damned if I'd ride amongst it all just because I can.
Just yesterday I sat front row whilst a hybrid Camry driven by an Indian chap went toe to toe with a b double carting fuel on Adelaide's busiest road.

No one cares anymore, everyone is in a hurry and the only considerations are for themselves.

10 years ago I sat for my motorcycle license, I sold my new ZZR before it had 2000k's on it as the close encounters from ignorant motorists turned me off real quick.

I recently jumped back on the bike but only on designated bike paths, when you see first hand daily what your dealing with its not worth the risk to go out on the road.

My 2c.
Spot on. I'm on the road everyday with my work truck. I have a motorbike as well, but will not ride on the road with it. The crazy stuff I see everyday puts me off riding the bike.......
Old 05-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #219
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

In some cases riding more than 2 abreast is legal in Vic

this is from Vicroads

Bike riders must not ride alongside more than one other rider in a single marked lane or on any part of a road that is not a multi-lane road unless the bike rider is overtaking another bike rider.

On multi-lane roads, bike riders cannot (as stated) ride more than two abreast in any single marked lane on that road (unless, as stated, overtaking another bike rider) but may ride more than two abreast across multiple lanes.

If riding in the same marked lane (and regardless of whether the road is a multi-lane road or any other sort of road), bike riders in that marked lane must not ride more than 1.5 metres apart.

Tip: When riding two abreast please consider other road users and, if necessary, change to single file to allow drivers to overtake safely.

Drivers – only overtake when it is safe and legal to do so. After overtaking, make sure you are well clear of the bike riders before moving back.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #220
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
Tip: When riding two abreast please [COLOR=royalblue]consider other road users and, if necessary, change to single file to allow drivers to overtake safely.
i think this is the bit that needs more emphasis. i'm a cyclist and even i think stubbornly riding 2 abreast 'because i'm legally allowed to' is inconsiderate to other road users if there is a reasonable amount of traffic.

have the awareness to recognise when vehicles are around and single up. its not that difficult.

the groups that i ride with make a very conscious effort to do this, with the call of 'car back' or such like when vehicles are approaching.

this has been mentioned a few times already, its about respect. if you want some, you need to show some.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #221
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

That's the bit that irritates the drivers..............
Old 05-11-2014, 09:42 PM   #222
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Saw one a few weeks ago pass in between everyone at the lights then pull in front of the car in the left lane at the front of the lights. Seconds later that left arrow goes green while the straight light stays red. The front 2 or 3 cars were turning left, but the cyclist just sat there blocking them. I swear he had no idea or at least no care that the cars he just cut in front of were now held up.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #223
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i think this is the bit that needs more emphasis. i'm a cyclist and even i think stubbornly riding 2 abreast 'because i'm legally allowed to' is inconsiderate to other road users if there is a reasonable amount of traffic.

have the awareness to recognise when vehicles are around and single up. its not that difficult.

the groups that i ride with make a very conscious effort to do this, with the call of 'car back' or such like when vehicles are approaching.

this has been mentioned a few times already, its about respect. if you want some, you need to show some.
I agree entirely. If I was on a touring holiday in my original Morris Minor towing a bondwood caravan at 70km/h, I would drive to minimise my impact on the traffic wanting to travel at a diffrent speed.

That's all I ask of a cyclist.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #224
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

And that is exactly what the vast majority of cyclists do. I tell you one thing though I have started to do it less, as if I am as polite as possible and stick as left as possible lots of dimwits do not move an inch in their lane and thus cut so close to me that it is very alarming and rude. If I am less polite and force cars to move in their lane around me they seem to show me more courtesy.... A bit of a conundrum there really...
Old 06-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #225
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: QLD New Cycling Laws Exposes Flaw in New CyclingLaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
And that is exactly what the vast majority of cyclists do. I tell you one thing though I have started to do it less, as if I am as polite as possible and stick as left as possible lots of dimwits do not move an inch in their lane and thus cut so close to me that it is very alarming and rude. If I am less polite and force cars to move in their lane around me they seem to show me more courtesy.... A bit of a conundrum there really...
Agree, with many of the thoughts . A cyclist will always come off second best when matched against it's 4 door adversary - so no matter whether I am in a position of 'right' , I always look to cause as little impact on the traffic around as possible .. Better that I am delayed and in the right , rather that in right and crippled by my adversary . No matter how right the cyclist there is no coming back from a serious injury. Period .
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #226
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Smart hat could be the answer to cyclist registration, councillor says

• State Government is considering licencing options for cyclists
  • Many drivers argue cyclist should be registered like other road users
  • Smart helmets would overcome need to register every bike in NSW
  • High tech features will improve rider safety, says designer

A SYDNEY designer has patented a new licence plate helmet that could pave the way for cyclists to be registered.

The so-called smart helmet design incorporates a registration number that can be seen by existing CCTV and road cameras.

It also envisages indicators controlled by a Bluetooth system on the handlebars, as well as a photo sensor to turn on head and tail lights and a small warning speaker when the cyclist rides too close to pedestrians.

It is the work of designer Toby King who presented his concept to Mosman Council on Tuesday night hoping to win support for a submission to the State Government which is considering licencing options for cyclists.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay has asked his department for a list of recommendations.

Unlike other proposals, attaching a licence plate to compulsory headwear for NSW cyclists would overcome the requirement to licence every bicycle in the state.

Mr King told the meeting the helmet would benefit cyclists and road users.

“This is a concept for better road safety. It is not a product or a business, it is a concept design,” he said.

“There are not many features on the current helmets that makes them safe.”

But Mr King acknowledged the proposal was controversial, saying he would prefer to keep his name out of the public eye in case of any backlash from cyclists against the idea of compulsory registration.

The concept has the backing of Mosman councillor Simon Menzies who said it would also provide a solution for commuter cyclists to be registered and able to showcase their registration number.

“People who use it as a mode of transport should be registered and insured,” Cr Menzies said.

“Every other road user pays for registration and it should not be any different.”

Relationships between road users would improve if drivers thought cyclists would be held accountable for their actions, he said.

“It annoys drivers that cyclists can get away with breaking road rules.”

But while council members agreed it was a good idea, they said it was not an appropriate forum for the discussion. Cr Menzies’ motion was amended to support concepts generally which aim to improve cyclist safety.

Cyclist group Bike North was not supportive.

Spokesman Phil Griffiths said a licence plate helmet would put people off from cycling and the negative costs would far outweigh any benefits.

“I think it is an unnecessary distraction on what is *really important, which is providing for cyclists’ safety,” Mr Griffiths said.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227121392639

How ridiculous does that look?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #227
MAD
Petro-sexual

Need to shortcut the whole system and just register all people for public liability insurance.
Cue the Australia card....
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #228
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I saw this on a cycling forum and thought WTF. I also found out that the designer of the helmet doesnt want to be publicly named/announced for fear of backlash. Again WTF...

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #229
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and a small warning speaker when the cyclist rides too close to pedestrians.
That's a stupid and pointless feature. Cyclists need to learn to just slow down around pedestrians. Yes it might make your bike ride longer by a few seconds, but the safety of pedestrians is important.
Old 14-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #230
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
That's a stupid and pointless feature. Cyclists need to learn to just slow down around pedestrians. Yes it might make your bike ride longer by a few seconds, but the safety of pedestrians is important.
Same can be said about motorists
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #231
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I saw this on a cycling forum and thought WTF. I also found out that the designer of the helmet doesnt want to be publicly named/announced for fear of backlash. Again WTF...
It looks like something out of a futuristic 1980s movie depicting the world circa 2020.

Its funny he didn't want to be publically named but I'm pretty sure the article names him anyway?

Quote:
It is the work of designer Toby King who presented his concept to Mosman Council on Tuesday night hoping to win support for a submission to the State Government which is considering licencing options for cyclists.
Quote:
But Mr King acknowledged the proposal was controversial, saying he would prefer to keep his name out of the public eye in case of any backlash from cyclists against the idea of compulsory registration.
Old 14-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #232
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Same can be said about motorists

Exactly. I was using the cyclists main argument against them.
I do agree with it from both side.

I'm just bitter about it because I have been abused by cyclists on road bikes for riding my mountain bike too slow on a shared cycle way/pedestrian walkway.
The guys that abused my mate and I probably get upset when cars beep him for going to slow.
Seen a few get annoyed with 'slow' pedestrians on the same pathway.
Old 14-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #233
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think everyone just needs to chill the F out.
Old 14-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #234
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Exactly. I was using the cyclists main argument against them.
I do agree with it from both side.

I'm just bitter about it because I have been abused by cyclists on road bikes for riding my mountain bike too slow on a shared cycle way/pedestrian walkway.
The guys that abused my mate and I probably get upset when cars beep him for going to slow.
Seen a few get annoyed with 'slow' pedestrians on the same pathway.
The cyclist that did that to you was an idiot. He needs to pull his head in and realize that its a dual pathway for foot and cycle traffic. He needs to slow down and watch for pedestrians as they are slower to react. Every time I have to resort to pathway riding I slow it down in case there is a jogger wearing headphones than comes out from nowhere or a mum pushing a pram around a corner, heck even a child on a bike with training wheels frequent paths like that. Anyone looking to race a strava segment or going more than running speed on dual purpose paths is a complete clown. I don't condone this behaviour.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #235
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Totally agree.

Great Post...............
Old 14-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #236
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I just read, the inventor of that helmet isnt even a cyclist, doesnt own a bike.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #237
prydey
Rob

the whole idea of a helmet in any sport, is to protect your head. i think the designer has forgotten the main function.

there's no way that would get approval. hope he didn't waste too much of his time. clearly he has plenty spare.

having said that, i would be more than happy to wear identification. just don't call it 'rego' as that seems to upset most cyclists. if its ok for cyclists to video motorists doing illegal acts, and getting them convicted, then its only fair that i'm also able to be identified.

this wouldn't change the way i ride though, as i don't tend to ride illegally.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #238
1TUFFUTE
Banned

The other day he 7pm project had a guy on who'd been road raged bad by an idiot motorist. He'd rammed the cyclist. So I thought man that's harsh. Then I noticed on his camera replay he had on his bike......HE WAS RIDING BY HIMSELF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

That's no excuse but damn idiots bring these things upon themselves sometimes
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #239
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in other words, he was riding in accordance to the road rules.. and????
Old 16-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #240
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
So in other words, he was riding in accordance to the road rules.. and????
Too many of them ride in accordance with the rules when it suits them and disregard it when it doesn't.

Yes I know motor vehicle drivers are the same but it's a much, much lower percentage.