Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #211
nstg8a

Default Re: THE GT335 competitor 300c SRT8 is going to be cheaper...

is anyone else getting sick of all the 300C loving?

yes its a good thing etc etc, but does every 5.0l thread need to descend into hemi worshipping?
last time i looked this was ford forums, not ford and chrysler forums.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #212
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I just posted up to results to entice some interesting debate. It was just surprising how well the 4 pot falcon did with some average rubber. Some G6E turbo rims and tyres I'm sure would improve it's track time also. Interesting to note it also wiped the floor with the GT86 and subaru BRZ.
Thanks for posting the info. Honestly mate I think the Ecoboost is a very handy bit of kit and for those looking to dodge high fuel bills, and still retain large car comfort with good solid performance its the "go to" car. Helps heaps that its very good value too. I think I'd miss the V8's raw power something awful but that's just my petrol head tendancies and logic suggests the Ecoboost makes a compelling case. The accountant in me definitly agrees with you
Surprised it beat the 86 though
Quote:
yes its a good thing etc etc, but does every 5.0l thread need to descend into hemi worshipping?
Have a look at the thread title I'll do my best to contain my thoughts regarding the SRT8 within this one appropriate thread and you can feel free to skip this thread in future that way we'll both be happy

Last edited by Rodge; 15-08-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #213
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
is anyone else getting sick of all the Valiant loving?.

Here, I fixed this for you..
Old 15-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #214
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:

I think the popularity of the Toyota lovefest thread is more troubling personally, but you're right it's all standard fare around here nowadays... though I personally don't mind the hemi .
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #215
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

STR8 looks alright, but I'd take the FPV 'racoon' eyes anyday, especially over the HSV offering.

Interior, sure the 300C might have a few more bells and whistles but if it's quiet and 'feels' like a luxury car people will want it.

The HSV interior makes me think of an Aussie gym junkie roided up to the eyeballs trying to put on his best "Arnie" voice, it just doesn't quite work.

I've been having a grumble about the road noise in my F6 of late and I don't think it's 'bagging' the brand, especially when many others comment on the same issue too.

IMO as we all identify the bits we DON'T like, we can work towards rectifiying them together. I might just be a perfectionist but I really do see value in calling out the flaws in a product, even if it's got many many good points.

There are only a few 'little' things that could be done to the GT335 to bring it on par with the 'euro' offerings, and as far as I'm concerned with the standout job FPV have done creating what they have so far, that's where it deserves to be.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #216
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
I think the popularity of the Toyota lovefest thread is more troubling personally, but you're right it's all standard fare around here nowadays... though I personally don't mind the hemi .
Yeah I like the 300c don't get me wrong (and the 86), if we kept the valiant/hemi love to this thread that would be awesome lol.

I'm not going to avoid this thread because I do like reading about them, it just seemed every other thread was turning into a gt vs 300c sook fest.
Old 15-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #217
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rodge on the 300c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
I expect the 80-120 time of the SRT8 to drop to about 3.0 seconds with the forthcoming ZF 8 speed box which will also benifet track times. The existing MBenz 5G Tronic box is very slow on the kickdown, shift times are also slow and there's no doubt in my mind the cars performance will be significantly enhanced with the better box in due course.
it's got a rubbish 5 speed box in this day and age, but that's ok they will drag themselves into this decade "in due course"

Rodge on GT RSpec:

Quote:
I reckon the blue one looks the best but really this kit should have come with the SC FPV when it was first released so in reality all it means is that early adopters have been short changed.
So FPV have delivered what we need, but it should have been done sooner!!!

You seem to be the ultimate turncoat. Just 3 months ago if anyone said anything bad about FPV, regardless of how valid you would become enraged, but now you sink the boot into our local car, making unrealistic comparisons at every opportunity.

Keeping in mind that FPV are a small niche Australian manufacturer and the other is, well the 300c

I would love to see what car NZ can produce
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #218
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo

ok

Old 15-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #219
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Rodge on the 300c:

it's got a rubbish 5 speed box in this day and age, but that's ok they will drag themselves into this decade "in due course"

Rodge on GT RSpec:

You seem to be the ultimate turncoat. Just 3 months ago if anyone said anything bad about FPV, regardless of how valid you would become enraged, but now you sink the boot into our local car, making unrealistic comparisons at every opportunity.

Keeping in mind that FPV are a small niche Australian manufacturer and the other is, well the 300c

Burn

Its only good if you want a semi luxury car, not a performance vehicle. The fact an Ecoboost can get within a second of it on a track is just embarrasing from a performance point of you. Those geez whiz high tech switchable dampers must work great. Just like all the other electronic gizmo crap that is next to useless. It's mostly all **** factor stuff that you would use twice to show off to people and never use again, bar the stereo, i'll give you that.

Rodge, can you please buy a 300 now, and not wait for the new model so we don't have to listen to you go on and on about how good the equipment levels are for the next 12 months.

Maybe you should compare them to the 2014 Falcon update if you're going to keep referring to the next model, maybe we all should do the same with Falcon.

I'll bet the 2014 FPV's will have similar spec levels to 300.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #220
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
What showroom can I buy that from?
Old 15-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #221
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What showroom can I buy that from?
a nz one.

one day.

maybe.
Old 15-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #222
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Sounds like the Joss supercar made in Oz.

One day.
Old 16-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #223
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Rodge on the 300c:

Rodge on GT RSpec:

FPV themselves have conceeded that the SC FPV's should have had that suspension kit in the first place back in October 2010, I've allready provided a link for that.
Its seriously rich on their part to conceed that fact, then supply the kit but charge an extra $6K for it and call it a limited edition. They've all but formally confirmed the gear will be in future models, further link already supplied but clal this a limited edition. I'm not a turncoat I'm starting to see through their "creative" marketing simple as that.

Yeah SRT8 is a watershed event in the high performacne motoring landscape, get over it mate, its here to stay and will be a serious thorn in local manufacturers side for years to come. FPV and to a lesser extent HSV need to adapt to the changing market place, I care about their future, I'd like to stay with the brand but if they don't adapt their sales will continue to decline.

FPV can pretend the SRT didn't happen and bury their heads and hope everything turns out allright or adapt and somehow convince Ford head office that Falc needs heaps more tech.

Regarding the 8 speed ZF thing, I've since learned that workld-wide demand for high torque versions of that gearbox has exceeded ZF's ability to produce it, hence Chrysler are spending $300m to set up their own tansmission plant to build both high and modest torque rated versions of that gearbox under licence. Production commences in Q4 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Burn

Its only good if you want a semi luxury car, not a performance vehicle. The fact an Ecoboost can get within a second of it on a track is just embarrasing from a performance point of you. Those geez whiz high tech switchable dampers must work great. Just like all the other electronic gizmo crap that is next to useless. It's mostly all **** factor stuff that you would use twice to show off to people and never use again, bar the stereo, i'll give you that.

Rodge, can you please buy a 300 now, and not wait for the new model so we don't have to listen to you go on and on about how good the equipment levels are for the next 12 months.

Maybe you should compare them to the 2014 Falcon update if you're going to keep referring to the next model, maybe we all should do the same with Falcon.

I'll bet the 2014 FPV's will have similar spec levels to 300.
The car will be singificantly quicker with the 8 speed ZF.
Its not **** factor stuff, WTF do you think the reason is that Falcon's sales are continuing to decline, people want luxuries and tech gear in their cars
The 2014 Falcon will go someway to having some of the tech the 300 has but by no means all the way. By your own insistence, it won't for example have the 8 Speed ZF and I'll eat my hat if it has a 19 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo system or adaptive dampers or 3 way DSC. I'd be very surprised if it had nappa leater, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel either.

Last edited by Rodge; 16-08-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 16-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #224
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the tech is available on the Mondeo anyway so Ford have it in their arsenal.

PLUS, we have the other thread were Ford have /are investing funds at Broadmeadows to provide the "calibration" facility to help bring things like adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, etc, to local Fords.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #225
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

All they will add to the 2014 Falcon is, they will change the brochure from FG MKII to another name like FV... Thats it...
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #226
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
Most of the tech is available on the Mondeo anyway so Ford have it in their arsenal.

PLUS, we have the other thread were Ford have /are investing funds at Broadmeadows to provide the "calibration" facility to help bring things like adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, etc, to local Fords.
Why don't they bring it across on to the Falcon ?
Old 16-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #227
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why don't they bring it across on to the Falcon ?
Maybe because the current wiring platform might not support it.

I'm only guessing so maybe someone like jpd80 or bossxr8 can explain it more.

Cheers
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #228
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FPV themselves have conceeded that the SC FPV's should have had that suspension kit in the first place back in October 2010, I've allready provided a link for that.
Its seriously rich on their part to conceed that fact, then supply the kit but charge an extra $6K for it and call it a limited edition. They've all but formally confirmed the gear will be in future models, further link already supplied but clal this a limited edition. I'm not a turncoat I'm starting to see through their "creative" marketing simple as that.

Yeah SRT8 is a watershed event in the high performacne motoring landscape, get over it mate, its here to stay and will be a serious thorn in local manufacturers side for years to come. FPV and to a lesser extent HSV need to adapt to the changing market place, I care about their future, I'd like to stay with the brand but if they don't adapt their sales will continue to decline.

FPV can pretend the SRT didn't happen and bury their heads and hope everything turns out allright or adapt and somehow convince Ford head office that Falc needs heaps more tech.

Regarding the 8 speed ZF thing, I've since learned that workld-wide demand for high torque versions of that gearbox has exceeded ZF's ability to produce it, hence Chrysler are spending $300m to set up their own tansmission plant to build both high and modest torque rated versions of that gearbox under licence. Production commences in Q4 2012.

The car will be singificantly quicker with the 8 speed ZF.
Its not **** factor stuff, WTF do you think the reason is that Falcon's sales are continuing to decline, people want luxuries and tech gear in their cars
The 2014 Falcon will go someway to having some of the tech the 300 has but by no means all the way. By your own insistence, it won't for example have the 8 Speed ZF and I'll eat my hat if it has a 19 speaker Harmon Kardon stereo system or adaptive dampers or 3 way DSC. I'd be very surprised if it had nappa leater, heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel either.
Rodge, you're an accountant, I shouldn't have to explain to you the different economies the two manufacturers face.

FPV is a tiny niche manufacturer, hand building around 1000 muscle cars a year from a donor car that is itself fast becoming a niche product, all within the very tiny market that is Australia.

Think fixed costs and the very small number of units they are able to spread this across.

I get that many buyers want something different to what FPV are able to produce, but the fact is FPV cannot build what you (now) want.

FPV have not changed though, you have.

The FPV is all thrills, no frills, always has been.

I'm sorry to interrupt your 300c circle jerk, I realise that this is a thread about it, but I have posted here cause I don't want to take one of the other threads (further) off topic with raising the 300c like you have in almost every thread.
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #229
Rodge
Banned

Fact is Shonky the root of the problem lies with the reasons why either Ford America or Ford Australia have got in
the way of allowing Falcon to have the latest technology. Whether you like to admit it or not the tech in the Falcon
and FPV has progressively and gradually slipped further and further behind.

There is nothing to stop FPV subcontracting out the installation of proper premium stereo equipment to a third party
and having it as a cost option, net cost to FPV - nothing. If they do what they've always done they'll get the result
they always have and in case you missed it they're not over the moon about recent sales.

Falcon look to have invested so as that adaptive cruise and blind spot assist will be included in the 2014 update and I
won't be in the market to change till then so we'll see what other kit if any, they bring to the market.

Lets see if FPV get it between now and 2014 that some people are after more than performance, handling and
brakes, (I promise I won't hold my breath).

Of course we could all be on here pumping each other's tyres and pretending there isn't a new player in town that's
only going to seriously exacerbate the problems FPV already face...but I prefer to live in the real world, and lets not
forget FPV have the VF HSV to deal with next year...talk about a world of hurt in 2013...

I've already commented above that I'll restrict any further comment on the SRT8 to SRT8 appropriate threads, there's
no need to be antagonistic.
Obviously you haven't driven one so have little real idea what we're really talking about so if you don't want to
discuss it further that would be fine with me.

FPV will be a smaller and smaller niche player, (if they survive), if they don't adapt, sorry you don't like reading the
truth. Charging 6K extra for suspension kit they've already admitted should have been included with the original SC
cars isn't what I'd call a good way to keep your customers loyal.
Calling it a limited edition is also more than a little disingenuous when its all but certain the suspension kit will carry
over to future models. If you take the FPV admitted view that this suspension should already have been applied to
other models the R Spec is nothing more than a sticker pack, with leather and some red wheels and has an on the
road cost of approx. $14,000 more than an SRT8 yet misses out on an absolute ton of technology.

Just as well I'm not changing in the near future as if I was they'd lose another loyal customer. Who knows what 2014
will bring ???? According to the Myans we won't even make it there...

Last edited by Rodge; 16-08-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 16-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #230
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Moved here the content is largely about the SRT.

Anyone wanting a discussion solely on the new GT RSPEC here is a link,
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11374036

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #231
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Before everyone gets too carried away, they only got 30 SRTs for the whole of Aust and the 2012 ones are all sold including the next shipment in similar numbers. Next years model are already being chased and I would suggest that not many will be sliding into one (even when you are in the know!) so you might have a substantially better chance of buying the FPV. This might solve all this agonizing about brand loyalty. You'll need to be putting down a hefty deposit right now to secure a 2013 and there are doubts you can choose what colour/options etc you want. Many people will not want to take what they are offered when they have a wish list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #232
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

So only 30 SRT8s but as many GT as people want......

Maybe the solution is staring us right in the face..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #233
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

well not from the stories i hear. A friend had to wait 3 months for a standard LPI xt. If i was going to spend 80k on a car i want to order exactly what i want, not pick up a show room floor demo thats 2011 plated... Whats the wait time to build a FPV to order?

Last edited by Cheese3; 17-08-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #234
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I have to admit to chuckling when I read how many times the stereo is mentioned in this thread. It will be interesting to see what they've done with it though. Can't be easy with this setup steering the stage with seven mid/tweet/coaxials. Bit interested in what the non-traditional subs are too....

"...boasts a 12-channel amplifier, 900 watts of power and a total of 19 speakers—seven 3.5-inch midrange units, each with seven integrated tweeters, along with five "subwoofers" (although only the rear deck's 10-inch unit is a traditional round subwoofer design).
Old 17-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #235
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
"...boasts a 12-channel amplifier, 900 watts of power and a total of 19 speakers—seven 3.5-inch midrange units, each with seven integrated tweeters, along with five "subwoofers" (although only the rear deck's 10-inch unit is a traditional round subwoofer design).
I have no idea what all that means, but I can tell you from a person who just cares how it sounds, the difference to the way the SRT8 systems pumps out the tunes compared to the Ford Premium system, is the difference between the sound of a GT335 at WOT vs the F6. Both do the job, but one sounds soooo much better!

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #236
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly think the stereo sounds like a waste of time and space who needs 19 speakers ??? and 5 subwoofers ??? and 900 watts of power over 19 speakers sounds pretty weak to me ha ha thats around 47 watts per speaker and that has to run 5 "subwoofers" hmmmm no doubt it sounds better than the falcon stereo but come on the newer falcons would have to have the worst factory stereo system ever so it wouldn't be hard to better it.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #237
GT-E

The crap audio that comes standard in the Ford is pathetic. To get the same crap speakers in the base XT as you get in the GT-E is just so wrong.
FPV have lost the plot, as their cars are falling further and further behind the competition.
FPV/Ford sit around wondering why nobody is buying big cars anymore, but they are, just not Ford/FPV models.
Why is that ? They are running 5yo tech in there cars.

The depreciation on the FPV range is offensive.
I cannot even get $35,000 on my GT-E that is 3.5 years old, 32,000km and cost me $90,000!!! I have lost over $1,000 per month just on depreciation.

Ford/FPV are dieing a very slow death by not keeping current in the market place. We should have the MYFORD ICC, LED lighting, HID headlights, keyless entry/start. All of this type of tech is standard on so many cars. This is why the SRT8 is going to steal a lot of sales form FPV, as will the new Jeep SRT8.

Sad to say, but FPV have lost me as a client now.
Old 17-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #238
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a mate who works at a dealership that sell Hyundai, Chrysler and Volkswagen and he tells me to stay away from Chrysler.
He mentions that they have so many more issues with them its not funny.
He rates Hyundai as the best of the 3.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #239
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds
I have a mate who works at a dealership that sell Hyundai, Chrysler and Volkswagen and he tells me to stay away from Chrysler.
He mentions that they have so many more issues with them its not funny.
He rates Hyundai as the best of the 3.
I seen one today at my friends workshop needs a new exhaust system $5000 retail complete genuine and its not stainless

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #240
Rodge
Banned

N.Z. got allocated 26 SRT8's for 2012, also now all sold... only 30 for Aus ..perhaps Gaela you meant the initial shipment was 30 and so was the second one ?

Last edited by Rodge; 17-08-2012 at 04:41 PM.