Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #241
xr8ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTASY
A slight tweak and the T will be free of any Commondore..again.
hehe, yeah very true, but I guess an SS owner could do the same . I do think that ford needs to work on the XR8, up high it pulls like a teenager, but down low you play the waiting game.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #242
justa6
justa6

do you know what the new holden's weigh,
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:31 AM   #243
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Better Article then Drive.a.Holden.com atleast. No one expects the Falcon to win, but its good to know it still stacks up.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #244
Aeron
DJR Fan

I think for the money, the VE SS is the best bang-for-your-buck car out of that lot.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #245
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys.....

Media in general and motoring magazines in particular make their money from advertising and to a lesser extent circulation.

It is very much in their interest to perculate controverasy at all times as this keeps their readership up.
Really, how many copies of MOTOR would you buy if every issue had glowing reports on yet another amazing feature of Ford and how every Holden ever made is crap or vice versa.

Performance Ford and Street Commodores exist for those market segments. Of course the VE SS will win, it is the new toy. Remember how good the BA was? And the Mitsubishi 380.

The reviews will always focus on the strong points of the product chosen to win the comparo and be very fuzzy on the weak points. Over the coming period the comparos will be closer and closer until the PCOTY or whatever when it will be fair dinkum.
Now amazingly again, just after the "fair dinkum" comparo someone will release a new model the will be so far ahead of the others it isn't funny.
Over the ensuing months the comparos will be closer then a "fair dinkum" one will happen.

Don't believe me.... Look back through MOTOR or WHEELS for the past 5 or 10 years.
It is a formula, simple as that.

It does not stop there. V8 supercars, holden vs ford (yeh right), abject manufactured tribalistic patriotism. And it works VERY VERY well.

Holden need Ford, Ford need Holden, that is the way of things. If either stopped playing the other would collapse to be replaced by "world car" mediocraty.

Ponder this.

The VE was started in 2000, one of the holden gurus moved up here a few years ago and would not give me even the slightest hint about the VE but the other day after the release told me all about it and the changes from when he was involved, which was not much.
I personally saw an Orion drive train mule in 2003 and spoke with the development engineers over beer at Tennent Creek.
Do you REALLY think that the Ford and Holden management are not aware of what the other is up to? Do you REALLY thing that the VE is a total surprise?

Holden will already be planning the replacement platform for the VE. 6 or 8 years from now a new sooper dooper one will appear.
Ford will be doing the same. If Orion is to begin production in 2008 then it will probably have been signed off some time ago and the next one planned.

Go with the flow, embrace the moment, the blue oval will strike back only to be counter attacked by the lion. We are living in a golden age. It will not last for ever.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #246
YOOT
Banned

BF Turbo + Edit = game over SS

Heck even Terry Turbo + Edit = All over SS, then off to the beach! :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #247
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

It may not have won but he is correct, the car is a gerneration older yet it still holds its own greatly!!, and yer just wait for BF2T!!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #248
HSE2

Although not the best times from a turbo its interesting see the Fords close the gap after losing out to 100kph. The SS times are indeed very impressive. If these times become the recognised norm it will hurt FPV because they are as quick for substantially less money and as much as it pains me it’s a factor that influences people in this market.

What I would like to know is if anyone in the media are putting the question to Ford on why the XR8 has been allowed to become irrelevant?

There is a real sense of history repeating in this current situation and given Ford previous statements it’s about time someone asked the hard questions from management.

Thank god for the T.

Anything on the HSV cars?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #249
Disco1986

just when ford come close to beating holden in perfromance holden seem to strike back even harder! Come on ford stop pussy footing and make a somthing just as quick!
Disco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #250
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
Hi all.

I have read the article from motor mag about the VE vs BF (XR8, XR6T, SS and SSV) . Anyone read it yet?

Here is the conclusion for those who have not read it

"That our testers on this comparison were split about 50-50 between the SS and the turbo gives you and idea of how good the turbo still is.

But that doesnt alter the final outcome which was a points decisoin to the SS over the Turbo with the SSV third (based on price) and the XR8's irrelevance earning it last spot. Wanna be king of the road? Then you need the Commodore SS, you do."

So once again, the fords dont stack up too badly considering they are now a generation older.
What was the fuel consumption of the four cars tested?

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #251
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i couldnt care wich one is faster, i would always buy a ford!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #252
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1986
just when ford come close to beating holden in perfromance holden seem to strike back even harder! Come on ford stop pussy footing and make a somthing just as quick!
....and Ford will improve on Holden, then Holden will improve on Ford and so on and so on. Its a 'NEW' model. Wait your turn.......It will and always happen......'cough cough' AU.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #253
Abacus
Life's a Gas

The position Ford has let the XR8 fall into is a disgrace.

At the very least, the XR8 should have the GT-P motor, and FPV should do something special for the GT.

One issue to consider is this, any time Ford raises the heat, Holden have got yet another monster V8 (7 litres) they can get their hands on.

What road map has Ford actually got for its V8s?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #254
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
"But that doesnt alter the final outcome which was a points decisoin to the SS over the Turbo with the SSV third (based on price) and the XR8's irrelevance earning it last spot. Wanna be king of the road? Then you need the Commodore SS, you do."
Sounds like typical motoring writer hype.

As I've said before, I dont believe anything they write anymore. Its just sensationalist writing to make a story out of something thats probably quite line ball.

Whatever they think, may not be what someone else thinks. Also they tend to ignore points I believe are important in a car. I just use these articles as a guide and try not get caught up with their opinions.

If I want to compare cars, then I'll check them out myself.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #255
Boss 290

Default ss ve opinion....dont click if your sick of it

I just saw the ss twice in the past 2 days and before seeing it in the flesh I said it looked shocking. Then I took closer looks at it and I began to like it but after seeing them in the flesh, I must agree with my first instict and say that it looks weird and Im not inpressed.It does not date the ford and even my other half who grew up with holden in her face agrees that this ss does not look the goods, its too futuristic and it looks like a camry cross vectra cross falcon....It just doesnt go. As for the ride and handling I am yet to experience it but I would imagin that it would be real good ....I suppose I need to see more on the roads and then maybe I would begin to like them.....but it wasnt the case with the vz I liked them from the start (not as much as the ba but I still thought it looked good)
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #256
HLC
Audi S3

I've seen a couple of SS's in the flesh now and they look better than in pictures. i could still make some improvements, but im not working for holden. so....
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #257
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

i reckon it looks like a longer version of the vetcra, i pass one parked everyday on the way to work, they're shocking. they should've stuck with the vz/vy look :
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #258
BAFalconXT
Sold...

I dont like em at all, and not just coz I drive a Ford. The front of the SS looks like one of those old Ralliart Magnas, and the instrament cluster with the 3 guages looks like crap. I saw the new GTS, they have 19 inch wheels and you can still put your fist between them and the guard, not to mention the tiny rear round lights and two tone spoiler...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #259
BAFalconXT
Sold...

And the base model hub caps, look like they came off a camry. VY executive hubcaps look batter...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #260
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAFalconXT
I dont like em at all, and not just coz I drive a Ford. The front of the SS looks like one of those old Ralliart Magnas, and the instrament cluster with the 3 guages looks like crap. I saw the new GTS, they have 19 inch wheels and you can still put your fist between them and the guard, not to mention the tiny rear round lights and two tone spoiler...
Actually the new GTS has 20 inch wheels as standard.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #261
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been to have a look at the cars in the rang at my local dealer. The stock models like the Omega, I'm not a fan off, and I think the falcons have it all over them, but I think the models like the SS are starting to grow on me. Still see the demo's SS and SV6 belting around the streets going out for test drives for the customers. The look good on the road. The SS has a nice stround sound. If I was looking to buy an SS, I really wouldn't consider the colour coding of the dash. Thats probabbly the only thing I don't like about it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #262
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Enough said... It is suppost to be a sports car, not a 4x4.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #263
b2tf
not here much anymore

There are a few VE's floating around Wagga now, including a silver SS and a red demo model from the dealers here.

To be honest, they dont stand out near as much as I thought they might when I first saw them. Ive driven past them a few times now and the only thing thats made me even look twice is the fact that mrs b2tf has said "goddamn thats ugly" and she's not looking in my direction.

I pulled up behind an SS-V a few days back and the first thing that hit me was the ride height and the very small taillghts. Going by the back of them I reckon they would be a real bugger of a car to reverse, especially if it has a spoiler.

Last edited by b2tf; 10-09-2006 at 07:15 PM. Reason: sp
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #264
BAFalconXT
Sold...

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring...s/8febmit1.jpg
Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #265
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol i had a picture of a red SS-V as my phone wallpaper, and you could only see mainly the front. And a chick goes... Is that an astra. Lol
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #266
HSVETAR
Bring on the lion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
i couldnt care wich one is faster, i would always buy a ford!
Oh true that...... Altho, Ford just need to create a monster that just says, ****** you all....... :thebirds:
El falcon, 4.0, XR6 camshaft, pacemaker extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust with tri flow sports muffler, AU TE50 intake, with K&N panel filter, Advanti racing Stalker 17" rims, Sitting on Ultra Low King Springs, 'Gabriel' Ultras Lowered struts, NOW MANUAL, 3.45 LSD

9.694 @ 75.38 MPH at Mildura Drag Strip 1/8 Mile

XC Falcon project car underway......
HSVETAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #267
XR666T

I see an SS (or is it an SS-V... god knows : ) every morning. I've also seen a few Omegas and a Berlina.

From some angles the SS looks ok but from others it looks weird, from front-on it looks like it's been crushed sideways in a compactor. The rear lights also look like a smaller version of the 380's. It just doesn't do it for me.

I'm not biased towards Ford either, just calling it as I see it. I dare say they'd drive better than the BF (they'd want to for a brand new, billion dollar car) but the styling doesn't do it for me.

When I saw the BA XRs for the first time though it was love at first sight! :
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #268
Franky
Bring back the Phase

When I first saw the release pictures I was worried as they did look very impressive and made the falcon look a little aged.

In the flesh though it's a differernt story... they do not stand out except for the bright red ss and they don't look much newer than the BF. bit of a dissapointment really as I prefered the look of a 380 that was beside a new calis at the lights yesterday.

oh and the SS looks much, much less agressive than it should be
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #269
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah in the flesh was disappointing...holden in tville had a blow up blimp and everything for it (wheres a crossbow when you need one).

anyways someone smart got the VE and BF side by side and well even with all the euro blood i have the BF wins by default..<< lol (havent heard that too many times)

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #270
BAFalconXT
Sold...

From the back the lights still look alot like VY/VZ commodores for a new car. Hopefully Ford hasnt made the same mistake with the new Falcon.