Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
LukeyST
ST fan

Question Rocker gear bolts torque settings? (VCT I6)

Gday,

Does anyone know what torque the bolts holding the rocker gear down should be tightened too? And is there a special pattern for the order to tighten them down? I'm going to do my lifters today, but the i'm not touching a thing till i have this info.

The car is a series III xr6 VCT, im not sure if it being VCT would make a difference compared to HP?

Thanks.

Old 22-08-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Rocker arm shaft pedestal bolts=25nm
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

There is - our tech section has the torque setting and the sequence - it's always a good place to start.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
LukeyST
ST fan

Wow some great info there, thanks guys i appreciate it!
Old 23-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
LukeyST
ST fan

Ok another quick question,

I put the new lifters in, used some good assembly lube in the process so everything was nice and slippery when it went back in.

When i first turned it over it made a horrible noise for about 2 seconds (which i expected) but then they all seemed to settle besides what sounds like just the one lifter towards the rear of the engine. I had it running (just at idle) for about 3 minutes and it didnt go away. I revved it up to about 2500rpm and it seemed to quieten it but it came back again at idle. At this point i just switched her off in fear of doing some damage :(

Should i give it some revs and hold it to build some pressure or something??

I have oil and a filter to do a change, should i change the oil now and see if it fixes it?? The oil in it is about 10,000km old, if that. The new oil i have is Penrite 10w-50 which was recommended to me for the AU i6.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 23-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
LukeyST
ST fan

All fixed.

Got some advice elsewhere to take it for a run and keep it in the mid range of the revs. So i changed the oil (had too, as i already had the engine flush in it) and took it for a run. As good as dead quiet at idle, slight tick at 2000-2500rpm (but still better than before) and above that engine noise drowns anything minor out.

I was told that the i'd still have air to be bled in the new lifters, and this seems to be the case as its still improving.