Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Question Rocker Cover Air Filter?

Hey guys.

Some things i dont know about cars and this is one of them. I know you can get small air filters for your rocker covers. What exactly do these things do. Improve performance im guessing. Do they do much?

Thanks

Old 25-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Rollin
Banned

They are to vent crank case vapours, and are illegal on anything post 1976 I believe, but it could be even further back than that.

Since 1976 all crank case vapours have had to be routed back into the motor and be burned.

The 'air filter' on the rocker cover does not increase performance...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

so why do people put them on then?
Old 25-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
Hey guys.

Some things i dont know about cars and this is one of them. I know you can get small air filters for your rocker covers. What exactly do these things do. Improve performance im guessing. Do they do much?

Thanks
Now I'm curious. Got any pics?
Old 25-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
so why do people put them on then?
1. Because they can look cool
2. Because others do it and get 50% increase in power
3. Because engines with excess blowby will make smoke and foul the carby/throttle and combustion chambers
4. Because excess oil vapour will affect the oxidisation rate of the fuel
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the difference between drawing filtered air from inside the air cleaner and drawing it through the little fliter in the oil cap? WHY are they illegal they only filter the air going in. nothing is let out, it is still a closed system assuming you have a PCV valve in the other rocker cover thats connected with a hose to the base of the carb? Am I missing something? The hose that connects form the oil cap to the air fitler just supplies clean air to the Crank case, right?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
What is the difference between drawing filtered air from inside the air cleaner and drawing it through the little fliter in the oil cap? WHY are they illegal they only filter the air going in. nothing is let out, it is still a closed system assuming you have a PCV valve in the other rocker cover thats connected with a hose to the base of the carb? Am I missing something? The hose that connects form the oil cap to the air fitler just supplies clean air to the Crank case, right?
Um, I think thats back to front. The hose that connects to the oil filter from the engine is to direct the fumes/smoke/pure oil (depending on the state of the engine) back into the engine and not let it vent into the atmosphere.

Engine blocks dont, as far as I know, suck air. They tend to build up pressure not create a vacuum.
Old 25-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
1. Because they can look cool
2. Because others do it and get -50% increase in power
3. Because engines with excess blowby will make smoke and foul the carby/throttle and combustion chambers
4. Because excess oil vapour will affect the oxidisation rate of the fuel
5.It looks good when they fill up with oil and leak it over the engine bay
Added one to your list,and modified another..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Um, I think thats back to front. The hose that connects to the oil filter from the engine is to direct the fumes/smoke/pure oil (depending on the state of the engine) back into the engine and not let it vent into the atmosphere.

Engine blocks dont, as far as I know, suck air. They tend to build up pressure not create a vacuum.
Oh, OK. Maybe I should put one on then seeing as my air cleaner has provision for it. I would need to change my cap though.
Old 25-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Added one to your list,and modified another..
Well done
Old 25-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
You need to understand that the PCV valve is closed when the manifold is under reasonable vacuum. It only opens when there is a slight vacuum approaching atmospheric pressure. Under heavy load the breather hose will flow oil vapour to the carby/throttle body. If you replace the hose with a filter, the heavy droplets may gravity feed back into the rocker cover, but you will end up with a nice dirty patch on the covers and probably on the underside of the bonnet.

Last edited by Wally; 25-02-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

I checked in the XC factory workshop manual and the PCV system works like I thought it did. The hose going to the air filter housing supplies FRESH air to the system and the vapours get drawn into the motor through the carb base plate via the PCV valve on the RH rocker cover.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
nos_james

that seams to be how the clevo in the xd works
nos_james is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused and just to add to it. I have a Clevo with crinkle finish rocker covers with a flot top with a chrome flat oil filler cap that doesn't breath.
So am I screwing up my engine, are there bad vapours not escaping that should be or what?
My air cleaner is an open type sports so i cant connect a hose,and my engine runs on dual fuel.
Any advice?? Should I have a breathable filter type oil filler cap.?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 AM   #15
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Ok, now I'm thoroughly confused and just to add to it. I have a Clevo with crinkle finish rocker covers with a flot top with a chrome flat oil filler cap that doesn't breath.
So am I screwing up my engine, are there bad vapours not escaping that should be or what?
My air cleaner is an open type sports so i cant connect a hose,and my engine runs on dual fuel.
Any advice?? Should I have a breathable filter type oil filler cap.?
yes!! But are you sure your cap doesn't breathe? The normal, chrome push in ones all do. Suck it and see, lol.

Last edited by GXL078; 09-03-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #16
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, the cap is like a radiator cap with a rubber O ring and closes off completely with no way to breath.
I tried your idea too but the taste of oil was real bad.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, I've dug out my own workshop manual to get the low down for myself.
It has a picture of the engine titled "Positive Crankcase vent System" showing the oil filler cap with the hose going to the air cleaner and a note saying "Hose from valve rocker cover to air cleaner for fresh air to crankcase".
Air goes both ways through this pipe to get fresh air to the crankcase and when theres a build up of contaminated fumes that can't get through the PCV valve (located between the valve rocker cover and carb spacer) in the crankcase it is redirected intothe carby back into the combustion chamber for burning.
Clear as mud???
Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

on decelleration its sucking air into the crank case - under power the crank case is being pressurised by blow by from the cylinders. in positive pressure situations it can creat real issues if not vented correctly especially if rings are worn or if tollerences arent fine enough
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post