Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
robbo/region15

Default Vehicle culture shock.!

So,i recently returned to the UK.
Im absolutely gobsmacked with the variance of models on the road here!!!

Ford are well catered for with mondeo,focus,kuga,fiesta.Not a falcon or larger car to be seen [as in Aus size].Although i did see a Statesman near Heathrow.

Most drive these small cars, especialy the Ford KA...........single egg carton,very hard to get in/out off....lol.

Fuel here is 1.45 pound/litre ..which is very pricey./[$3.48 p/litre]

Roads are busy ,even here in the West Country.

The smaller the car ,the cheaper the road tax[rego],plus these mot[roadworthys]yearly keep the crap cars off the road.... .

Like i said "Culture Shock!"

Last edited by robbo/region15; 24-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Vehicle culture shock.!

It's been like that for many years, just about forever.
Not only is fuel expensive, roads are smaller too and obviously there is a fair amount of congestion hence the lack of larger cars.
They also have the advantage of better PT.
No real need for a large sedan.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo/region15
],plus these mot[roadworthys]yearly keep the crap cars off the road.... "
i guess you're not from NSW, who have a yearly safety inspection...
Old 24-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Your exchange rate conversion is out!

1.48GBP = 2.30AUD
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will find that most countries in europe are like this.....
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam
You will find that most countries in europe are like this.....
But not all - indeed I wonder if even most. In Czech Republic I'm paying $1.50 a litre for diesel. It's not that much more in Germany. The only two car brands in Europe still experiencing considerable growth, Skoda and Hyundai/Kia are made in Czech Republic so manufacturing export earnings from about 1 million cars a year are going very nicely.

Plenty of large cars and SUVs on the road here (and Austria and Germany) too, though I'm surprised to see Volvo almost vanished.

I suspect UK's in an economic drain-hole of its own!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like hell if you like driving then.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
sounds like hell if you like driving then.
Driving in Europe (well certainly Central Europe and UK) is an absolute pleasure compared to driving in Australia because of:

. driver attitudes, courtesy, awareness, intelligence, alertness and lack of aggression.
. lack of official nannying so you can drive on motorways at speeds appropriate to the conditions and concentrate on driving without worrying about you know what.
. good transport planning with proper roads and traffic controls provided where needed and excellent public transport to ease the peak loads.
. because of all the above, being able to get where you want in a reasonable time and reasonably relaxed - and therefore having a chance to actually enjoy driving.

All that, in spite of many times more people living on that continent.
Old 25-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" . driver attitudes, courtesy, awareness, intelligence, alertness and lack of aggression. "

Absolutely 100% true . Generally speaking , as a race Australians still have not and probably never will come to terms with the motor car . Also walk down any street in the UK and look into the cars , you will be absolutely flat out finding an automatic , they are drivers not vehicle steerers .
Old 25-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, but I gotta say having a manual is generally a pain in the butt lol!

I think there are actually many very capable drivers in Australia but a minority spoil it all bigtime - and even worse bring the official nannies out of their closets. Which sends it all into a self-perpetuating downward spiral.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Your exchange rate conversion is out!

1.48GBP = 2.30AUD

Never let accuracy get in the way of a good yarn...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People's circumstances dictate their lifestyle. Cars are money pits. Cheaper car has cheaper costs. Lets face it, why do people need a car that does 13litres per 100 when cars out their do it for 6 litre's less. Transport. A to B.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
" . driver attitudes, courtesy, awareness, intelligence, alertness and lack of aggression. "

Absolutely 100% true . Generally speaking , as a race Australians still have not and probably never will come to terms with the motor car . Also walk down any street in the UK and look into the cars , you will be absolutely flat out finding an automatic , they are drivers not vehicle steerers .
try driving a truck all day long in the city!!! you'll learn too love automatic cars pretty quick
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Driving in Europe (well certainly Central Europe and UK) is an absolute pleasure compared to driving in Australia because of:

. driver attitudes, courtesy, awareness, intelligence, alertness and lack of aggression.
. lack of official nannying so you can drive on motorways at speeds appropriate to the conditions and concentrate on driving without worrying about you know what.
. good transport planning with proper roads and traffic controls provided where needed and excellent public transport to ease the peak loads.
. because of all the above, being able to get where you want in a reasonable time and reasonably relaxed - and therefore having a chance to actually enjoy driving.

And don't forget signs that tell you where the road goes to rather than the name of the road!!
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plus insurance is UK is through the roof.
Especially for young drivers. They pay almost as much as the car is worth. Sometimes more.
So that would make people want to buy a small cheap car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The West Country?

Are we talking Welsh-West or Bristol-West?

Lukeyson
Old 25-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
robbo/region15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris

Very true,not many autos to be seen!Quite the opposite to what i posted about FOA /Do they build Manuals anymore thread.......
Old 25-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
robbo/region15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
The West Country?

Are we talking Welsh-West or Bristol-West?

Lukeyson
Lukeyson,im talking West Country;South West-Devon & Cornwall..
Old 25-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's why all sizes of car from large to small have a diesel as one of the most popular...if not the most popular...engine choice. Cars that we've had here for years have only had petrol engines surprise Australians when we find out they have an option of an amazingly frugal and powerful turbo diesel in Europe...which usually never see the light of day here even on fairly common models that are imported here in big numbers.

Fuel has always been expensive in England...a friend of mine lived in London for four years, and said he never owned a car. An amazing public transport system meant you didn't actually have to, and if you were going on a trip, just rent one.
He also said that part of owning something like a Jag or a Rolls was not only "look at me, I can afford a big car", it was "Look at me, I can afford t put fuel in it"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #20
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That's why all sizes of car from large to small have a diesel as one of the most popular...if not the most popular...engine choice. Cars that we've had here for years have only had petrol engines surprise Australians when we find out they have an option of an amazingly frugal and powerful turbo diesel in Europe...which usually never see the light of day here even on fairly common models that are imported here in big numbers.

Fuel has always been expensive in England...a friend of mine lived in London for four years, and said he never owned a car. An amazing public transport system meant you didn't actually have to, and if you were going on a trip, just rent one.
He also said that part of owning something like a Jag or a Rolls was not only "look at me, I can afford a big car", it was "Look at me, I can afford t put fuel in it"...

hahaha!!! hope we dont get like that here with our big cars!!! gee I'm gunna cop it for owning two falcons!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, but check out how much a 5 - 10 year s classs or 7 series costs to buy - super cheap
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my experience.. the public transport system is very good, and there is no "im too good for public transport attitude"
Many top end workers commute into london by Train live close to the countryside where they have thier weekender cars.
After living there for a couple of years I found I became a better driver, oddly form not driving so often.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

With such good public transport why would you ever take a car into central London and try to find a park every day.
Save fuel, parking costs, traffic hassles by catching the train or bus and have a great weekend car - that sounds great.

And that the point, in countries where people don't need to buy cars, manufacturers have to try harder
with prices, not like Australia where everyone just accepts the 50% higher prices for whatever reason is offered.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #24
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
With such good public transport why would you ever take a car into central London and try to find a park every day.
Save fuel, parking costs, traffic hassles by catching the train or bus and have a great weekend car - that sounds great.
Parking in central London was never a problem for me

I live there for 6 years and nearly 4 of those I had a car

Do not get me started on the UK - a tremendous place to live and definitely not as expensive as many Australians believe

Transport is A1...5 stars...top class! Can you imagine getting onto a train platform and being disappointed at having to wait 6 minutes? The norm was 2-3. Outstanding.

English drivers are light years ahead of us.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #25
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Do not get me started on the UK - a tremendous place to live and definitely not as expensive as many Australians believe

Transport is A1...5 stars...top class! Can you imagine getting onto a train platform and being disappointed at having to wait 6 minutes? The norm was 2-3. Outstanding.

Most of that is true , however the problems are pomms and their odd work ethics being in my experience dead set clock watcher
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny how fuel prices in europe in their currency (pound or euro) have pretty much stayed the same for 10+ years, and here it has gone from 70c to 1.50 even though our dollar has doubled its value in those years!!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hmmm....how much do they pay train drivers over there I wonder...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #28
creative
I am Batman

Quote:

Non of that applies to the uk!

Australia is the same as the uk, just 10years behind. Roads are just as terrible, congestion is just as bad, M25 carpark anyone? And cars are woefully small! Anything over a 2lt is a big engine! I think lawn mowers over here have bigger engines than some of the cars there!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
UKXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Funny how fuel prices in europe in their currency (pound or euro) have pretty much stayed the same for 10+ years, and here it has gone from 70c to 1.50 even though our dollar has doubled its value in those years!!!
I think you need to check your figures!!
Back in 1999 I was paying around 60p per litre (which I thought was extortionate back then), its now around £1.45 today..

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #30
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:

Agreed, except I did come across a couple of nutcases during my stints over there, one was a Transit van that surprised me when it started overtaking me toward the top of a hill on a two way country road. As expected, a vehicle then appeared coming the other way, so this van which was beside me simply moved into where I was. I had to hit the brakes to avoid him running me off the road.

But on the whole they are very disciplined, motorcyclists queuing up at traffic lights in line with the cars in front and behind them, with no attempt to get to the front or lane split. Also at roundabouts, if the general Victorian driver tried their bad habits in the UK, they would get blasted with loud horns each time. UK drivers stay in their roundabout lane, not cut across lanes unless deliberately changing lanes to go where they have to go, giving way as appropriate to other traffic on the roundabout.

I do like the way UK have their motorway lanes organised, where it is the righthandmost lanes that discontinue, not the left lanes as it is here. Motorway entry lanes continue on forming new lanes on the motorway, so cars entering dont need to merge with the traffic already on the motorway. This encourages traffic to stay in the left lanes, despite drivers tending to stay in the left lanes regardless, unless overtaking.

And if you have a car the size of the Falcon, it wont fit in the Micra sized carspaces in supermarket carparks. The Honda Civic I was driving was almost too big for them.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post