Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Imported cars arent as green as you think

Because they have to be shipped here to begin with and international shipping generates 2.7% of global CO2 emissions (search international shipping emissions). sounds pretty darn huge to me!

Now the Fed Govt and State govts rely on this Green Car Guide (google it) and some of them are buying damn Prius's instead of, say, Cruzes as a result.

But this Green Car Guide doesnt take into account the emissions required to get those cars here.

There is nothing green about shipping a car from Europe to Melbourne!!!

Last edited by turbodewd; 06-02-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: k
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Imported cars arent as green as you think

Or Melbourne to Perth.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the Green Car Guide was gone from the 1st of January this year?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
Because they have to be shipped here to begin with and international shipping generates 2.7% of global CO2 emissions (search international shipping emissions). sounds pretty darn huge to me!

Now the Fed Govt and State govts rely on this Green Car Guide (google it) and some of them are buying damn Prius's instead of, say, Cruzes as a result.

But this Green Car Guide doesnt take into account the emissions required to get those cars here.

So what you saying is that the WA or QLD (NT) state governments, or local governments in those states, or federal departments in those states should not buy locally made cars? Its alot more carbon intensive to get 4000 locally made cars to these areas than it is to ship them down from South Korea, Thailand or Japan.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Imported cars arent as green as you think

From what I've read, per kilo/tonne nothing pollutes less then the super container ships!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
So what you saying is that the WA or QLD (NT) state governments, or local governments in those states, or federal departments in those states should not buy locally made cars? Its alot more carbon intensive to get 4000 locally made cars to these areas than it is to ship them down from South Korea, Thailand or Japan.
I doubt it.

I would presume its greener to move a Falcon to Brisbane than a Hyundai from S.Korea to Bris. Happy to be proven wrong, but strongly doubt it.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post

Considering more than half of the Cruze is assembled from parts shipped from Korea i'd say the difference is bugger all really.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post