Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation NSW Police Now have a McLaren 650S !!!

"THINK you can run from the police? Think again. It appears the NSW Police force has just taken delivery of the $450,000 McLaren 650S supercar.

The British supercar was spotted on the back of a tow truck earlier today in Sydney wearing full police livery.

Retailing for just under $450,000 in Australia, the 650S is capable of sprinting from 0-100km/h in 2.9 seconds thanks to its 478kW V8 engine.

NSW Police confirmed to news.com.au that the vehicle is in the force as a promotional tool to help raise money for the families of fallen police and comes at no cost to tax payers."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/techno...-1227522570530

Last edited by csv8; 13-09-2015 at 08:03 PM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW Police Now have a McLaren 650S !!!

At no cost to taxpayers.....yeh right
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

errrr.....my tax dollars....waaahhhh
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Love to see the "talent" behind the wheel of that. Next time it makes the news it'll be wrapped around a pole
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Love to see the "talent" behind the wheel of that. Next time it makes the news it'll be wrapped around a pole
Or someone will have put the wrong fuel in it.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another 91 RON fuel ruined engine in no time
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a promotional vehicle. It won't see a day of active duty. It's advertising for the manufacturer hence why they it is free except for fuel.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #8
marty351
Shenanigans..............

+ professional driver. No way its going to be in the hands of HWP.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 AM   #9
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
+ professional driver. No way its going to be in the hands of HWP.
Hate to tell you this but HWP are professional drivers

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know what... I hate these promotional vehicles. They are just a big fat FU to the motoring public.

For a country with modern freeways, low population density, little snow or ice and some of the most intensive and expensive licensing standards anywhere (140 hours of learner driving to get a provisional in NSW instead of 3-12 across Europe). Yet we have that slowest travel speeds on the planet.

Shove that Mclaren up your @ss.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Woftam
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait until the first average-sized copper goes to sit in it with a utility belt.

Same thing happened in the late 90`s with the Subaru's.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #13
irvinnie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Wait until the first average-sized copper goes to sit in it with a utility belt.

Same thing happened in the late 90`s with the Subaru's.
In NSW the subarus were pulled from service because they couldn't get the cars speedometers to maintain its calibration. The end result being that NSW police no longer use the cars speedo but an independent one (top left in the picture below)

And as the article said for those that bothered to read it, the car has been donated and all the police have to pay for is fuelling and it won't see active duty just used from promotional purposes. Anything to get people to interact with police in a positive note has to be a good thing. But those that hate will always hate.

2014 FGX G6E Turbo Tuned by Walter@Oztek performance 504rwkw on e85/420rwkw on 98 with a PCMTec flex fuel tune

Previous rides
- 2010 FG GT (335 build #152) 437rwkw
- 2012 XR6 turbo Ute 345rwkw
- 2007 Force 6 (build #91) 330 rwkw
- 2010 GTE (build #2) 425rwkw
- 2010 50th anniversary turbo ute 365 rwkw
irvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #14
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, am I interpreting this correctly... The NSW police service want to increase the public's interaction by adorning a "high" performance vehicle, that is specifically designed for high speed driving. Such advertising makes a mockery of their anti speeding and "speed kills" campaigning.
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinnie View Post
.............. Anything to get people to interact with police in a positive note has to be a good thing. But those that hate will always hate.
Trouble is, I think most people will be ignorant of the fact the car was donated and will more likely think along the lines that "there goes my tax dollar in yet another example of wasted government spending".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #16
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI PSI View Post
So, am I interpreting this correctly... The NSW police service want to increase the public's interaction by adorning a "high" performance vehicle, that is specifically designed for high speed driving. Such advertising makes a mockery of their anti speeding and "speed kills" campaigning.
Stop splitting hairs, a 10k commodore can do 200kph. A VF with police livery sitting in a westfield isn't a talking point, a supercar is, that is the whole point. And they didn't pay for it.
And a McLaren is more than capable of doing 60 in a 60 zone, 100 in a 100 zone. Should we only give the police push bikes just in case we spread the speeding message further?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Trouble is, I think most people will be ignorant of the fact the car was donated and will more likely think along the lines that "there goes my tax dollar in yet another example of wasted government spending".
As opposed to funding the modification of a GT-F...and in turn completely ruining it. That's the definition of a waste (and hypocrisy).
Old 12-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #18
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In NSW the subarus were pulled from service because they couldn't get the cars speedometers to maintain its calibration. The end result being that NSW police no longer use the cars speedo but an independent one (top left in the picture below)

And as the article said for those that bothered to read it, the car has been donated and all the police have to pay for is fuelling and it won't see active duty just used from promotional purposes. Anything to get people to interact with police in a positive note has to be a good thing. But those that hate will always hate.

My bad. I didn't take any notice of the Highway Patrol...I was referring to regular cop cars in Victoria (late 90's). The calibration would be an easy fix now rather than rearranging an interior.

But in any case, at least promo a car that the country of origin's Police Officers, or any other country that imports them, wear a Utility Belt and not just drive around with a pen and notepad. Maybe it's interior is roomy, I don't know....that was my point...nothing to do with Hate.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #19
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

This 600KW GTF they stuffed by filling it with E85...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #20
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well- in Newcastle I would like to see police getting out of their cars and WALKING down the mall- having chats etc to people, instead of sitting in their cars driving down the mall eating Mcdonalds,....

Very simple for police to interact- get out of cars and walk in the community and be friendly and engage- that will go far....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Well- in Newcastle I would like to see police getting out of their cars and WALKING down the mall- having chats etc to people, instead of sitting in their cars driving down the mall eating Mcdonalds,....

Very simple for police to interact- get out of cars and walk in the community and be friendly and engage- that will go far....
There’re police, not superstars, and what’s wrong with the public making that connection 1’st, I am sure they would be more then happy to reply back with common courtesy, it will probably make their day to see someone from the general public acknowledge their services.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
There’re police, not superstars, and what’s wrong with the public making that connection 1’st, I am sure they would be more then happy to reply back with common courtesy, it will probably make their day to see someone from the general public acknowledge their services.
Hard for the public to interact when they just sit in a steel box driving through public walking.

They have a hard job to do-for instance that shooting of that local postie at Warners Bay-I knew that guy as did my wife- and she was disturbed at how the cops had their guns out and were rather on the front foot instead of being passive and trying to diffuse the situation. But- I look at it as being very stressful and hard for the police.

But what I am saying is get out and walk-makes it easier for the public to engage with the force. No need for a supercar to do this.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 12-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Hard for the public to interact when they just sit in a steel box driving through public walking.

They have a hard job to do-for instance that shooting of that local postie at Warners Bay-I knew that guy as did my wife- and she was disturbed at how the cops had their guns out and were rather on the front foot instead of being passive and trying to diffuse the situation. But- I look at it as being very stressful and hard for the police.

But what I am saying is get out and walk-makes it easier for the public to engage with the force. No need for a supercar to do this.
Not that hard to lift an arm and give a wave, or in other word’s acknowledge them with a kind gesture, but anyway people often get the wrong perception of police because they see them driving slowly in their vehicle for instance, and they then think that that’s all the police have to do all day, nothing better to do with their day huh.... maybe some should job swap for a week and see what is actually involved in law enforcement.
Give respect and get it in return.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #24
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A guy comes running at you with a machete, see how you get on. "Hang on a minute mate calm down lets talk about it", while he's swing a machete at you. I would rather go home to my kids safe and sound than risk getting killed by a man with mental health issues swinging a machete. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend but you can't blame the Police, they have to protect the public and themselves. And I hope they got there in a car, not walking about and having to run 3 blocks to get there, if I want the cops I want them as quick as.

Anyway off point, the McLaren is just a poster boy for the Police, maybe someone will be silly enough to think they'll get one as a patrol car and join up, only to be short changed with a Commodore.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #25
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why don't cops have life insurance? Any supercars being given to construction workers to raise money for the fallen?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #26
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
A guy comes running at you with a machete, see how you get on. "Hang on a minute mate calm down lets talk about it", while he's swing a machete at you. I would rather go home to my kids safe and sound than risk getting killed by a man with mental health issues swinging a machete. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend but you can't blame the Police, they have to protect the public and themselves. And I hope they got there in a car, not walking about and having to run 3 blocks to get there, if I want the cops I want them as quick as.

Anyway off point, the McLaren is just a poster boy for the Police, maybe someone will be silly enough to think they'll get one as a patrol car and join up, only to be short changed with a Commodore.
Yeah- fair call- like I said police do a hard job and sometimes they are damned if they do and damned if they do not. As I said, my wife had the strong view that they were aggressive, from my end I noticed how fast the postie ran at one of the policeman with a knife- and wow- not much time to deal with things, and the police are entitled to defend themselves so they can go home to their loved ones.

And yes- good that police have fast cars to get to real crimes to safeguard the public.

But my point is-you do not need a supercar to communicate with the public. That's ridiculous. Simply get the police to do some foot patrols and mix with the population, not that hard.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #27
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Why don't cops have life insurance? Any supercars being given to construction workers to raise money for the fallen?
Well police have better workers comp insurance, like coal miners, than the rest of the public. Society says that what they do, means they have more value, and hence society values their injuries more than the rest of the plebs out there.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #28
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Off topic...

I also live in Newcastle (Eleebana which is one suburb away from Warners Bay).

I know the manager of the PO, as I coached his son in juniors cricket.

It was a very sad turn of events and I don't think for a minute that anyone is placing blame on the police involved.

They were dealing with a person who was suffering depression, had deeper
mental issues and on the day, had been drinking (who was banned from local bottle shops).

It was a big shock to the local community and we all talked about the 'what ifs'

Why didn't the police shoot him in the leg etc?

Police are trained to aim and shoot at the clearest body mass in these situations as there is little to no time to consider a second option.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved. This includes the police, the victims family (including his mum who witnessed the whole thing), the staff at the PO and the staff at the supermarket who processed the the sale of the butchers knife used by the victim.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #29
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Off topic...

It was a big shock to the local community and we all talked about the 'what ifs'

Why didn't the police shoot him in the leg etc?

Police are trained to aim and shoot at the clearest body mass in these situations as there is little to no time to consider a second option.

My thoughts go out to everyone involved. This includes the police, the victims family (including his mum who witnessed the whole thing), the staff at the PO and the staff at the supermarket who processed the the sale of the butchers knife used by the victim.
Yeah- this is what my wife said- and you summed it up really well. Easy for us not involved to sit in Ivory tower and cast judgment on what the police did.

Saying all that a real tragedy, last 8 months I had a lot of dealings with all the posties there as I sold a lot of sound recording gear - and I dealt with the guy that was shot- and he was always very pleasant to deal with. At Christmas he shared chocolates a customer had given him with other customers..... Tragedy all round- shame that he did not get medical and other intervention that he obviously required.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #30
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

They have to with all the Aurion out on the road these days. Pull 5 secs to 100.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: