Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
chenka

Question Ex-Taxi good buy or???

hi all, looking to upgrade and can get hold of Au ex taxi wagon on gas with about 550,000 k's on her and 12 months reg for $4000.....any thoughts welcome

chenka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Rob
Living the dream

Way overpriced! My uncle runs a fleet of cabs, he always tells me if I need a runabout, he'll get me a VT/AU for like 2 grand. Dont pay more than 3 for an ex taxi.

Good luck mate.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
chenka

thanks for that...but I wouldn't know where to start looking in NSW and I have the money now or can chuck lpg on me current ride(vn wagon) which is oldy but goody and get the rebate....mmmm
Old 16-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

For that kind of money you would be able to get an EL with about half as many kays and in good nick.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
chenka

been looking on Ebay etc , all online car sites for weeks...no luck and around my way, they'd be asking $5000/+
Old 16-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #6
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I paid $3900 two years ago for an ex taxi AU. No reg, but a Blue slip. I was happy with the deal.

I dont think $4000 is silly money if it is a tidy car, and mechanically good. I went for a ride is a S3 AU taxi the other day in Sydney and it was immaculate.
An engine is about $700, a trans as little as $200 what is there to risk?

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
chenka

yeah , I've read a few posts in this Forum and it seems like Au's in general are a good vehicle so if I can get it , I will. Had an Ea wagon till got the Vn an loved the "big car" ride. Any special mods needed, ie, is suspension etc good?
Old 16-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Its not just the engine and trans that cause u greif... its the stuffed window channels, the broken trims, the dodgy door gaps, the worn suspension pars, the leaking heater core. THe broken heater flaps. THe cracked door hinges. , The boody creaks... the rust (lots of repairs to pannels) especially inner sills, THe hole in the roof. The worn out seats, the worn key barrels the broken door actuators.... U can go on forever...

You are better to go buy a GOOD low k ED/EF for that kinda money... TAxies are just stuffed when there finished
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
chenka

well I'm still looking but hafta make up my mind fairly soon because of the sudden waiting list to get lpg installed...been looking at all makes/models after about 92
Old 16-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #10
chenka

Smile

any more opinions welcome!
Old 16-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

My suggestion would be is that if you want a Ford, you WILL easily find a clean EL with under 200,000 kays for that money or less, or if you're patient, you'll find an AU series 1 at the auctions for less than 4k.

Then, go get the LPG rebate on top of that.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
chenka

don't really care if its a Ford or not...just found this Au tonight and it seems like lpg installation has aquired a sudden price rise as well as a looonnnggg wait list....what is a good price for an Au wagon and why are taxis so bad?...all the kays?
Old 16-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #13
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
Its not just the engine and trans that cause u greif... its the stuffed window channels, the broken trims, the dodgy door gaps, the worn suspension pars, the leaking heater core. THe broken heater flaps. THe cracked door hinges. , The boody creaks... the rust (lots of repairs to pannels) especially inner sills, THe hole in the roof. The worn out seats, the worn key barrels the broken door actuators.... U can go on forever...

You are better to go buy a GOOD low k ED/EF for that kinda money... TAxies are just stuffed when there finished
This is probably all true, but I dont forget its a cheap car.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
TUF514
Banned

yes the kilometres are massive.

even if it has been maticulously maintained, 550000 is huge. your gunna need a new engine soon i would imagine.

4 grand i reckon is a little steep......
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you wouldn't need a new engine after 550 000.. who told you that?? they will last double that mate. especially a taxi on gas

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from what ive heard and read, if it's been well looked after 550000 km is only just (well maybe a bit more) run in for an au engine. if looked after properly they can last 1mil + km...depends on the maintenance which is generally pretty good with taxis as they have to be on the road and reliable all the time
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I was last at the auctions a year ago, and back then AU1's with 200ish kays in decent nick were going for 3500-4000ish. If you want a bargain, I'd be going that way.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

That aint a bad price , although there's alot of k's on the clock. Imo - maybe - just a sugestion - with the government now offering $2000 towards a gas installation , if u really want gas , then maybe see if u can get a non taxi au cheap with low k's and have it converted to gas .

Just my 2 cents , allthough if the taxi u are looking at is in vgc ( interior/ trim / seals etc etc ) then it doesnt sonund too bad , 500,000 + is alot of k's , but it would prolly still have plenty more in it yet / if its been run on gas all its life then it might just need the carbon buildup/rubbish cleaned off the top of the pistons and around the valve seals/seats - to give it a bit of life again / if its a bit sluggish as is .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

there is no way i'd be paying 4k for it...... if our 93 hilux is anything to go by it'd be well and truly stuffed........ the hilux has 632,000 on it...original motor and box.... and everything is stuffed, engine, transmission, suspension, latches, locks etc.....

if i were you, i'd offer them 2500 or 3k max or walk away from it....thats my opinion anyway
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #20
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
there is no way i'd be paying 4k for it...... if our 93 hilux is anything to go by it'd be well and truly stuffed........ the hilux has 632,000 on it...original motor and box.... and everything is stuffed, engine, transmission, suspension, latches, locks etc.....

if i were you, i'd offer them 2500 or 3k max or walk away from it....thats my opinion anyway
lol , im suprised u got that many k's out of a toyota before it was stuffed ..

There is a few Au taxi's out there that have gone over the 1,000,000 k mark ! , they au I6 is a pretty reliable motor ... i dont wanna get in no arguments anyways ..lol , cheers ;) .

Old 17-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #21
LUXO_8
windsor user

the thing with the hilux is its been this stuffed since 300,000 lol...... ive personally put about 400,000 on it in 6 years lol...

whats interesting though is the ute isnt running constantly (wherever i go i turn it off, start it to go again)its just a delivery ute :P...... unlike a taxi which doesnt have the start stop wear that a normal car has... as they are left running 90% of the time.....

thats why taxis can get the kms out of them that they do

Last edited by LUXO_8; 17-08-2006 at 12:16 AM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:09 AM   #22
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most AU taxi's i've ridden in have absolutely stuffed transmissions
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #23
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

i'll end my 2 cents saying the following ! ..lol /

If you are really considering buying it then at least do yourself a favour and pay that few extra $ and get it fully inspected before you buy it , it could be a good buy , and it could be the dud of a life time , choose carefully and gl ;) , cheers .

Old 17-08-2006, 03:15 AM   #24
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU Taxi - A not-very-educated guide to your next purchase!

Pro
- Engine reliability
- Generally good interior
- Probably full Service logs
- Cheap

Con
- Rooted transmission (wouldnt buy one that hasnt been reconned/replaced recently)
- Rooted suspension
- Rooted brakes
- People keep waving you down

If you want a car that mechanically is not very hard to look after an AU is perfect (In fact, anything EL onwards are, they all suffer the transmission/suspension problems though)

I'd go the Ex-Taxi/Cheap AU route. The VN is a workhorse but there is nothing quite like new technology!
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #25
Rob
Living the dream

The auto is likely to be the best chance for failure, as the motors are incredibly strong. My uncle has an EF runabout, now has 854,000 km... starts every time. Rebuilt tranny at 560,000.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:47 AM   #26
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250

forgot to mention A/C repairs...they are never cheap.

For that kind of money there has to be other vehicles which are not such a mechanical liability.

Also think of resale...how will you ever sell a second hand ex taxi? You will have a lot mor chance of selling a third hand private owned Falcon.

The used car market is in free fall at the moment...you'll find your bargan somewhere :evil_laug
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #27
chenka

Smile

unfortunately I live out in the Boonies(Broken Hill) and cannot get to auctions etc and would have to find what i want b4 I actually get there....major pain.I am in the NRMA so I guess I could arrange inspection and if i could bring the price down, maybe look at reco' ing the trans b4 I have problems?
BTW thanks for all input
Old 17-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #28
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Its worth $2,000 thats all. 4k is a joke. go to the auctions see what ex taxis AU's get now
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #29
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So many misguided people.

Mr Chenka, you have left out many vital pieces of information.

I own a 06/00 AUII Ex-Cab. Factory Ticford Gas, Vialle Converter.
Never had a hit
Brand New Regal Red paintjob (back to its original colour)
Brand new (reco) Automatic
Brand New suspension all round
16" Fairmont Wheels
Starts first time every time
Drives like brand new
Can't tell it was an ex cab
594,000klms
Absolutely Beautiful.
$4500 with full proper roadworthy and rego.

If it was still yellow, had a ****ed auto, dinged, crap suspension and just generally broken all round, I wouldn't pay $2000 for it no matter what.

The I6 on gas is good for about 1,150,000klms. Sometimes 1,200,000 if you are lucky.

A crap ex cab is the worst buy you'll ever make.
A good ex cab is the best buy you'll ever make.

I used to work as a mechanic's hand for a Yellow Cab yard. I handpicked this car as i knew it was the best ex-cab i'd ever seen.

I let about 15 ex-cabs go before i got to this one. This one is something else.

Is an ex cab for $4000 a good deal?
No-one can say yes or no without more details.
Old 17-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #30
chenka

thats MS Chenka ty....I have no other details except that its white and has 12 months rego...have emailed the seller so will have to wait