Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Territory displayed at Bangkok Int. Show

Ford press release:
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=36230

Quote:
All-New Ford Focus To Make its ASEAN Debut at the 33rd Bangkok International Motor Show
  • The all-new Ford Focus is the next of eight all-new global One Ford vehicles to be introduced in ASEAN by mid-decade
  • Ford stand at the ASEAN region's premiere auto show will feature an array of interactive displays and full range of Ford vehicles, including the expanded lineup of the class-leading Ford Fiesta and class-defining All-New Ford Ranger
  • The Bangkok Show will serve as the ASEAN preview for the new Ford Territory premium SUV to gauge public interest
Quote:
Ford will also use the Bangkok Show for the ASEAN preview of the Australian-built Ford Territory premium SUV to gauge customer interest and the feasibility of a local market introduction.

The new Ford Territory is a seven-seat crossover, equipped with a 2.7L TDCi V6 turbo-diesel engine with six-speed automatic transmission.
I wish they included an Ecoboost Falcon just for the hell of it, bugger it, I would have chipped in for the freight costs, lol.

Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Territory displayed at Bangkok Int. Show

Excellent, I hope Ford Australia get positive feed back and start exports to RHD Asian countries, India and South Africa..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Brilliant news!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Excellent, I hope Ford Australia get positive feed back and start exports to RHD Asian countries, India and South Africa..
jpd80 would say 2000+ exports a month of combined Falcon & Terry make much diff?
Old 24-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
jpd80 would say 2000+ exports a month of combined Falcon & Terry make much diff?
Ok yeah, I think FoA would be happy with 500-800/mth for a start
and being RHD, minimal development cost....

NOTE: Holden can't follow - No diesel, No SUV and cars are over capacity for Thai tax limit.
Old 24-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok yeah, I think FoA would be happy with 500-800/mth for a start
and being RHD, minimal development cost....

NOTE: Holden can't follow - No diesel, No SUV and cars are over capacity for Thai tax limit.
I really believe that FoA won't get much Fed assistance without an export plan, maybe this is the start.
Old 24-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I really believe that FoA won't get much Fed assistance without an export plan, maybe this is the start.
Exporting within our region using vehicles and engines that stand a chance of selling well is a great start.
It depends if funding ismade conditional on LHD exports or whether Ford showing that the bulk of FAPA is RHD will carry weight.
Old 24-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I'm thrilled to see that Ford is considering exports of the Territory. It's truly a standout vehicle.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

High Aussie doller will hurt any exports that Ford could muster. It would fantastic if they could export the Tez and a massive bonus for Aussie manufacturing.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
EL Lupo
Starter Motor

As much as I'd love to see Territory exported , and therefore have a better shot at surviving in the long run.... I wouldn't count on it. FoA has a long history of recognising market opportunities..... then completely ignoring them.
Old 24-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Lupo
As much as I'd love to see Territory exported , and therefore have a better shot at surviving in the long run.... I wouldn't count on it. FoA has a long history of recognising market opportunities..... then completely ignoring them.
However, when your back's up against the wall maybe that drive is more intense and has sharper focus. I would also like to believe that maybe some frankness from FoA could have been delivered to the parent company about past constraints and this time the parent has said, well OK do it uninhibited but it's your last roll of the dice.
Old 24-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
However, when your back's up against the wall maybe that drive is more intense and has sharper focus. I would also like to believe that maybe some frankness from FoA could have been delivered to the parent company about past constraints and this time the parent has said, well OK do it uninhibited but it's your last roll of the dice.
Let's not forget that not so long ago, there wasn't just one ford, there was six or seven of them each
operating pretty much independently but now FoA is an integral part of the Asia pacific and Africa region,
that gives them a much stronger voice and more friends willing to assist..
Old 24-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

O rly

Hopefully this will also pave the way for Ecoboost Falcon exports in the region, should give FoA a nice little bit of incremental business.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Ford press release:
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=36230

I wish they included an Ecoboost Falcon just for the hell of it, bugger it, I would have chipped in for the freight costs, lol.
Dude, I'd have joined in on the crowd-fund to help out too.

I'd have been MOST keen on a Diesel Falcon being trialled for export. But the EcoBoost would be the major option, especially since I get the feeling we're going to see a barrage of Ecoboost advertising soon. It seems like Ford has been banking up on the advertising waiting for the Ecoboost release.

And since Bangkok generates it's own LPG and has it's own plants, I reckon even the ECOLPi would be viable too.

Lukeyson
Old 24-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Interesting that that is a US Ford media release - nothing about it on the FoA website.

Further interesting that the release refers to the Territory as a "premium SUV".

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 24-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great news, I hope the get a great reaction & let the exports begin. As mentioned above, the high AUD will hurt though..

Why isn't this all over local motor media news's?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Great news, I hope the get a great reaction & let the exports begin. As mentioned above, the high AUD will hurt though..

Why isn't this all over local motor media news's?

Because holden are borrowing money again, so they don't leave Australia...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Fantastic news, lets hope they get an export program off the ground.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the bet it'll be engineered here in Australia, but manufactured over in Thailand if it goes ahead? Solves the problem of the high Aussie dollar and wages.
The tooling has already been made, would just have to ship it over there from Geelong...
Old 24-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
What's the bet it'll be engineered here in Australia, but manufactured over in Thailand if it goes ahead? Solves the problem of the high Aussie dollar and wages.
The tooling has already been made, would just have to ship it over there from Geelong...
A few more floods and disasters in Thailand might put an end to those ideas too..
Money talks and if the government offers a couple hundred million, I'm sure Ford will listen..
Old 24-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A few more floods and disasters in Thailand might put an end to those ideas too..
Money talks and if the government offers a couple hundred million, I'm sure Ford will listen..
Don't get me wrong, it would be great for FoA if it's manufactured here, but there is a lot against that happening. It may be they manufacture the Terri in two (or more) countries?
All we need is the mining industry to tank so the bottom to fall out of the AU$ and Aussie manufacturing will be right again!
Old 24-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

I can see a lot of potential for FG falcon/SZ territory in Malaysia. The 2.0 ecoboost motor has around the same capacity as the equivalent Camry in Malaysia (Camry is considered a premium car, sells for $120,000RM=$40,000aud, go figure..). Road tax is quite low for a 2.0 litre engine. There is high demand for premium sedans and I believe that a mid-range model FG could very well compete with the 5-series/E-class (which are actually quite common over there), which have higher capacity motors and hence higher road tax than the 2.0 EB. SZ territory could also fare well, as diesel engines come under a different road tax bracket, and 2.7 is quite a small size for a diesel motor. Exported in kit form and assembled by a local Malaysian firm, a large portion of tariffs could be reduced...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would love to see this happen. Fingers crossed.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Rockape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, it would be great for FoA if it's manufactured here, but there is a lot against that happening. It may be they manufacture the Terri in two (or more) countries?
All we need is the mining industry to tank so the bottom to fall out of the AU$ and Aussie manufacturing will be right again!
I'd say, stop looking at it in terms of a greenfield project and more like an evolution of existing
architecture that rolls in more of Ford's global mechanical and electrical packages. Couple that with
existing infrastructure that's already built and paid for with continued funding and I think we're good to go.
Look at Holden, one minute we're pulling out but... $275 million later we're investing a billion over ten years..

What impresses the American execs is that 25% cofunding from the Aussie government,
that gives them great cause to rejoice and not want to pull out, the right vehicles are the key to this...
Old 24-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Uh, no. The Thai plants arent configured to manufacture the Territory, and the costs to establish the capacity to make them there would be offset by the relatively low sales volume...it would take years to amortise thhose costs. We're probably talking as many sold in the ASEAN market as in Australia.

If Ford goes ahead with this (and that's a big if, but my beer is half full at the moment), this could potentially double the number of Terri's cranked out of Broadmeadows and could open the door for Ecoboost Falcons to go there to go head to head with the 'premium' Camry (think our Aurion but with a 4cyl). It would be a massive win for Ford Australia and cement it as the 'head' of Ford's Asia Pacific-Africa portfolio.

Old 24-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If Ford say they will do it, just watch the Thai government introduce a new 30% sales tax on SUV's with engine sizes bigger than 2.6 litres.

They will **** this whole thing up to protect there own, and the aussie government will bend over and take it like a pack of little biatchessss.

Free Trade Agreements are great.

Its good to see Ford finally take a little bit of initiative and seek out export markets. I wonder if Detroit will sabotage it though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If Ford say they will do it, just watch the Thai government introduce a new 30% sales tax on SUV's with engine sizes bigger than 2.6 litres.

They will **** this whole thing up to protect there own, and the aussie government will bend over and take it like a pack of little biatchessss.

Its good to see Ford finally take a little bit of initiative and seek out export markets. I wonder if Detroit will sabotage it though.
Considering it's a Ford US press release I'm assuming Ford Aust didn't exactly secretly get a Terry over to Thailand so maybe big brother already has said yes. Plus they don't make a RHD Explorer.
Old 24-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Relax, Thailand stands to lose a lot by playing tricks with taxes, they will catch too many of their local products if they do..

Quote:

Detroit is doing anything but, they could have closed down FoA's production anytime in the past six years if they really wanted to.
The fact that they are still willing to roll the dice and take a shot says to me that things are not as distorted as you think, business is tough.
Old 24-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I'm loving this thread. It is great that Ford Asia Pacific is showcasing the Territory at the Bangkok show. It's great that it is also announced on the Ford US website.

What the Thai government potentially does with the 'free trade agreement' is entirely out of Ford's control unfortunately. Just like what happened last time a Territory was to be exported.

Having the diesel Territory exported can add much needed volume to our Australian production. Not only that as others have said, it could also pave the way for the EcoBoost Falcon.

My glass is more than half full on this one!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

In fairness to the Thai government, think about this: an SUV with a 4 litre petrol engine is a hell of an impost from a fuel consumption and emissions point of view. Asian markets are used to small capacity petrol engines and diesels. They probably had a major WTF moment when they found out an SUV with a 4 litre engine was arriving.

The game has changed now...