Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default US caranddriver magazine discovers Aussie Fords

Hopefully not a repost (someone will tell me if it is)

Feature Article from US caranddriver magazine;

Fords That Could Save Ford Now

I for one hope they don't get their hand on our Falcon and Territory's.
Bad news for us IMHO, were doing fine well away from US influence.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

It would be nice to say we are away from the American influence, But unfortunately they throw it down our necks in some shape or form:(
Old 05-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if they would actually sell in USA. The septics have a very different veiw on life to us as can be seen by the interior and exterior styling of some of their vehicles.

It would be nice to see LHD falcons helping to offset our trade imbalance but on the other hand if it went pear shaped then we might lose our marque forever....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
XRated
Shoot.

The article's more accurate than most Aussie editorials! It'd be good if they had the Typhoon and got to see the potential of the modded Falcon.

Quote:
Would you visit a Ford dealer if it sold a budget BMW that hosted five adults and their airport luggage, laid rubber with the rear tires and rode gently on all four, turned sharply into corners and drifted its tail coming out, gave you the choice of a six-speed manual or German-designed six-speed automatic, and came in all the colors of the rainbow and a few found only in a toxic dump?
Hmmm interesting..

Quote:
Melbourne’s highways, which have a 100km/h speed limit — or 62 mph — zealously enforced by speed cameras (our local guide complained of receiving a ticket for 106km/h, or 3.7 mph over)....

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
ImpulseTaco
n00b

I *think* I was the first to mention it in another thread, and somebody else posted a link, but I feel that the article deserves its own thread anyway.

I definately think the falcon would have lots of potential for sales over here. The Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger has been selling TONS, ever since they came out with it. That car alone proves there is still a strong market for a V8/RWD car over here. The Falcon (especially XR6T/XR8) models are at least as good, if not better. And you can get a manual in the Falcon, which is not avaliable in the Chrysler/Dodge.

While I personally like the styling of the Falcons (BA/BF especially) I'm not sure that everyone else here would be in agreement. Plus, the retro look is currently the "in" thing here. I think if Ford changed the sheetmetal and gave the Falcon a more retro look, they would have a definate winner. It would be nice to see it with the I6, too as I prefer an I6 over a v6 anyday.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

They like retro hey...

I know... We can send them all our AUs!

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

The problem is whether or not the hugely powerful American auto trade unions would allow us to import the models. We'd most likely have to 'sell' the design to FoMoCo.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
They like retro hey...

I know... We can send them all our AUs!
No thanks, you can keep those. :

Well, I'd have a TE/TS50. Those are the only AU series that aren't hideous.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

At least sell the xr6 turbo and fpv. I've been to the states plenty of times and when you tell a local about our cars, they get really excited.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #10
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
At least sell the xr6 turbo and fpv. I've been to the states plenty of times and when you tell a local about our cars, they get really excited.
Hell, I look at the fact that we got the Monaro as a big plus. Unfortunately it didn't sell all that well, which is probably discouraging to Ford. :(
Old 05-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Oz would make more money developing a car for the US and helping to amortise the costs in developing a new Falcon and LWB cars. Look at how Ford Oz developed the Indian Fiesta and some of the details of that car were taken into the latest European built Fiesta such was the great work undertaken locally. The only problem is if the situation turned sour as has the VE/US plans for Holden. Being so heavily linked into the US programs meant far more was spent on developng VE and now that things have gone a little sour in the US, Holden has been delayed in releasing the VE as they attempted to trim costs and switched to overseas component suppliers as a result.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 05-05-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeap Ive and others have said it 1000's of times. Ford globally are dumb as$es for not using atleast our platform.

If we could share some of the technology it would cut costs massively, and then they could stick some better content in aswell!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseTaco
No thanks, you can keep those. :

Well, I'd have a TE/TS50. Those are the only AU series that aren't hideous.
Hahaha.

Hey, how do the Falcons compare pricewise to whatever would be the equivalent in the US? Do they represent good value for money for the average US buyer, if the price is based on what is the case here in Aus?

Cheers

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #14
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
the GT with its gaping chin scoop and virile hood bulge is pure bogan.
:

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #15
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Hahaha.

Hey, how do the Falcons compare pricewise to whatever would be the equivalent in the US? Do they represent good value for money for the average US buyer, if the price is based on what is the case here in Aus?

Cheers

Jac
From my looking (Ford Oz's Website, and a currency converter) Falcons (XR8 specificially) is 5-8k (US$) more than a comperable car. I would imagine if Ford was serious about mass producing the car for the US market, they could use cheaper labor, and take advantage of more volume, and reduce alot of the costs.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

If the market is there, Ford could make up lower ticket prices with volume. The US market is larger by a magnitude of, ....ummm well its big.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #17
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I think US exports would only be in the form of limited sales as niche models. Highly profitable.

XR8 and maybe XR6T. Maybe 1000 units of each, maybe less.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #18
fmc351
let it burn

In Aus a limited run was 500 in the HDT's etc during the earlier Bathurst days. The states has more than 10 x our population so a limited run there should easliy fill 10,000 units. (If they like it at all that is).

Considering the way the auto market is, they could be the next mainstream vehicle Ford runs in the states (one of anyway). Again, providing the public take to it. The market here was what, 60k+ units. Thats a lot of potential in the states.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #19
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I wonder if they would actually sell in USA. The septics have a very different veiw on life to us as can be seen by the interior and exterior styling of some of their vehicles.

It would be nice to see LHD falcons helping to offset our trade imbalance but on the other hand if it went pear shaped then we might lose our marque forever....
I got bailed up by a couple of Americans late last year while fuelling my ute. They were out here on holidays and they were all over my car like you wouldn't believe.They were saying that in the US most people that have modified cars only drive them on weekends.When I told him that the ute was my everyday car and that it wasn't modified that much I thought he was going to have a heart attack.They reckon that if Ford Aust exported the utes and Sports models(as he put it)meaning the XR's and GT's to the US that they would sell like hot cakes. But he said the biggest hurdle would be get past the unions, as they are very protective of their own manufacturing over there.So after kicking my wife out of the passenger seat and taking both the men AND their wive's for a run,I think that I left them with no doubt in their minds as to which country makes the better cars. They reckon that if they could organise it that they wouldn't have any hessitation in buying one and shipping it back.Perhaps ford US should talk to some people on the street instead of listening to the bosses that just sit in the offices.Most of the time with their heads up their backside or so it seems.(sarcasim)
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #20
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

With the US market going up a certain creek rapidly there is no way in hell the US auto unions will accept any new imports. Doesn't bother me where they sell our products, as long as they don't try to change them. In my humble opinion Ford Australia makes the best Fords in the world by a country mile :thebirds:
Old 05-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #21
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseTaco
It would be nice to see it with the I6, too as I prefer an I6 over a v6 anyday.
Your in luck... The Falcon 6 is only built as a 250 cubic inch I6...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How ironic considering the Falcon came from America originally (a LHD design)!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
How ironic considering the Falcon came from America originally (a LHD design)!

I go ahead a step, and say how ironic it is that Ford USA tried to get the Aussie Falcon morphed into an American Taurus, of which the AU was the stepping stone. I also find it ironic that the very car that the USA had, and ruined (in their home market) could be the very thing that saves them.

It will be Orion (at the earliest) that brings forth any real insight into how the LHD Falcon will behave, but hopefully, the I6 goes wherever the Falcon does, and that the car isn't influenced by any real Yank input. Ford Australia have a large design clinic for a reason.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #24
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I am a bit like Raptor, i would sell my BA if yanks started to import them.. i cant handle them!
I say, leave the big old ugly fords over there, leave our good looking fords here, and i will be happy.

It would be shocking to see a gtp with wood grain GT stripes down the side... :hihi:
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #25
myxr6
Banned

Can you fit a gun rack in a BA/BF ute ?
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I can't see Ford exporting the Falcon lineup to America... I can see Ford SVT adopting the FPV range style of vehicles, maybe in the Mustang range or cobra range.... means that the mustang will still come in a 6 and an 8 and producing loads of power like it should!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #27
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxr6
Can you fit a gun rack in a BA/BF ute ?
There is enough room to fit a whole arsenal of weapons behind the seats in a Ford Ute!!! out:
Old 05-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #28
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

As a performance niche model (like the Monaro) some of our cooking model Falcons I believe will sell. I think the current large rear drive sedan you have over there from the Ford stable is the Lincoln LS and ofcourse the Lincoln Towncar which is essentially a Crown Victoria.
The Lincoln LS is powered by the same engine in the Thunderbird a 3.9L 32valve V8 making 280hp. Australia's offering would be the XR8 and it makes 350hp and comes in a manual. I actually think the Lincoln LS is a nice looking modern themed saloon but with a conservative easy on the eye shape much like the BA/BF.

The Lincoln Towncar by comparison is a car for people who like wearing golf trowsers, conservative, 5.47m long, room for 6, softly suspended and its shape dates back from the 1970's Towncar where its shape was drawn by someone who only had a ruler and a HB pencil.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #29
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

There is one thing to consider about the U.S car public, they are very different to us, they moaned until they got a RWD V8 and them moaned it wasn't tuff enough when there, they have such different taste to us and no matter how good the car is if the looks aren't there it's worthless to them, It needs to be all show then they worry about the go.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:32 AM   #30
460cixy
burn out king

i liked it was a good read . but as holden have proven theres realy no point exporting falcons to the yanks. there unions are as strong as ours wish thay could be . and theres no way it would stay the same as nature intended it. it would have a pus box v6 slaped in complete with y head gaskets and then turned in to a front drive vn commie that. whats with those chrysler things with the grill like its out of there f250 style trucks but in a falcon sized car. if thay think that will sell here :
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post