Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What would you rather?
BF Fairmont Ghia 57 50.44%
BF XR8 56 49.56%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Has Ford abandoned luxury cars?

I am a big fan of Fairmonts.

My dad had a 1968 Fairmont with a 302 Windsor and he currently has a XE Fairmont Ghia.

I took the plunge and bought a AU Fairmont Ghia and I simply love the unique styling, unique engine and all the features that make it special as has always been the case.(apparently heaters never used to be standard in cars back in the 60's lol)

Anyway having a look at the current BF Fairmont Ghia I have to say I am quite disappointed. From the outside it looks like a base model XT and on the inside the only thing seperating it from a regular Falcon is a friggin clock.

Engine wise all you get is a base model six or a base model V8 ( I know the 3V is good but it's the same one as in a XT)

FPV has recognised this in releasing the Force series but it simply looks like a tame version of a typhoon or GT.

Ford needs to make the Fairmont better hopefully the next one gets the XR6 Turbo motor standard and the same V8 as the XR8 and some better interior work.

What happened to the Ghia rims?

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Nashy86

I really like the current mkII ghias, externally and internally i dont see them as very XT
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyEB1
I really like the current mkII ghias, externally and internally i dont see them as very XT
I'm with you there. BF Mk1s did look very XT inside but MKII looks great inside and out

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Maybe I'm talkin about BF1.

What are the changes?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

ford.com.au
Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Cant see how you can say a AU Fairmont is that much different to an AU Forte, the BFII Fairmont Ghia is further differentiated to the XT then the AU was.. the AU never had side airbags, power drivers seat (98 Fairmont ghia?), driver program settings for seats coded to the keys, a 6 speed auto, foglamps, ESP, body kit, sports steering wheel, dual zone climate control, reverse parking sensors etc.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 02-06-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

BF2 Fairmont Ghia Turbo please ford...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Orion has a Turbo 6 Option on Ghia, but i believe there will be no V8 option.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

The BFII lifts the game over the BFI, new dash, new interior colours, new external looks. IMHO the XR skirts on the Ghia look totally horn. It needs 18" wheels tho. Not a huge fan of the BFII lights tho.

Looking at getting a BA Fairmont Ghia and upgrading it to BF spec.
-BF taillights (2nd hand)
-BF II Dash because its totally awesome, best B-series dash ever, might change the lighting tho
-BF shifter (2nd hand)
-BF front bar and fogs
-BF steering wheel.
-BF chrome side strips.

While the BFII does look different it should. Now the XT comes with 17", 6 speed, esp, sports suspension.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
TBO240
Member of 12sec club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
BF2 Fairmont Ghia Turbo please ford...
force 6
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
The BFII lifts the game over the BFI, new dash, new interior colours, new external looks. IMHO the XR skirts on the Ghia look totally horn. It needs 18" wheels tho. Not a huge fan of the BFII lights tho.

Looking at getting a BA Fairmont Ghia and upgrading it to BF spec.
-BF taillights (2nd hand)
-BF II Dash because its totally awesome, best B-series dash ever, might change the lighting tho
-BF shifter (2nd hand)
-BF front bar and fogs
-BF steering wheel.
-BF chrome side strips.

While the BFII does look different it should. Now the XT comes with 17", 6 speed, esp, sports suspension.
XT doesnt come with 17s etc standard, that was a Special Pack which you cannot get anymore, you can get the ES pack but its a little dearer.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
[IMG]

Cant see how you can say a AU Fairmont is that much different to an AU Forte, the BFII Fairmont Ghia is further differentiated to the XT then the AU was.. the AU never had side airbags, power drivers seat (98 Fairmont ghia?), driver program settings for seats coded to the keys, a 6 speed auto, foglamps, ESP, body kit, sports steering wheel, dual zone climate control, reverse parking sensors etc.
?????

AU Fairmont no but Fairmont Ghia yes!

I have electric seat, a better looking dash than the BF, a Tickford motor found in the XR6 VCT, leather, computer thing with a million features. I am told shite down to WHICH door is left open even the BF XR6 Turbo doesn't do that.

All your reply did was prove my point the interior STILL looks ordinary and on the outside it STILL looks like an XT.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol...

If you think an AU Dash is better then a BFII Ghia then your seriously playing with yourself.

Even an XT has all the trip fucntions you speak of, so the BFII Fairmont Ghia has that, and leather, and yes it tells you which door is open, even my FPV ute does that
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely the XR8, its a better looking car allround, but still forced induction for me!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO240
force 6
the problem with that is the fact that its just a typhoon minus the rear wing.... i actually prefer the Fairmont Ghia looks wise, just it should have a turbo and be priced under the national debt
how are ya btw mate?......long time no see
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the new Ghia looks pretty good.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #17
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
All your reply did was prove my point the interior STILL looks ordinary and on the outside it STILL looks like an XT.
Here it is with the china beige leather that further seperates it from the XT. The grey interior in LSTerritoryGhia's post doesn't look as classy as the china beige.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

????

Last time I checked I'm pretty sure the BF XT doesn't do all the things my AU does and the BF XR6 Turbo is down a few specs too.

What they have gained is annoying buzzes (i no ive got me freakin seatbelt off I was about to put it on!!!)
Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why should it, its a lower spec FLEET model. Are you talking about the Trip computer? The BA / BF XT has more trip functions then your Fairmont champ, it even has a TRIP A and TRIP B, last time checked AU's did not have this.

Do you expect Ford to build the XT with Leather standard??
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #21
TBO240
Member of 12sec club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
the problem with that is the fact that its just a typhoon minus the rear wing.... i actually prefer the Fairmont Ghia looks wise, just it should have a turbo and be priced under the national debt
how are ya btw mate?......long time no see
good wayne and your right about the national debt
Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #22
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I hear Fairmont will be a turbo option next year and there may be a turbo factory LPG option.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #23
The Monty
Just slidin'

I agree with sleekism. The amount of differences you got between a Forte and a Fairmont in the AU's was quite substantial, these days, I cant say I think they are that much better than the plain XT, except the MKII ghia, its damn nice. But BA and MKI BF's are wayyy to plain for me.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Sleekism, the AU fairmont and the forte looked basically the same externally anyway, especially when ford put the fairmont bonnet on the AU2.
I agree that the interior of the fairmont upward was markedly different from the base model forte, but conversely the difference between the Fairmont Ghia and the XT interiors is as wide as Paris Hilton's you know what.

However, not to detract from your point and speaking from experience, the AU2 LTD interior kills the BA LTD interior, BA2 LTD and to some degree BF interior. The B series LTD's had minimal money spent on them and therefore ended up with a falcon dash and some faux wood to make you feel better.

The AU2 on the other hand has an ALL leather interior; the whole seat cover is leather and not vinyl like on the BA plus, the doors have rouched leather, the centre console is leather, the console extension around the shifter is leather, and then there's the woodgrain. Woodgrain switches, steering wheel, woodgrain cupholders, rear vents, window switches; even the light switch is woodgrain - all in all, it is such a nice and special place to be.
BA forward LTD interiors were far too clinical IMO.

Quote: