Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
transitman
Starter Motor

Default Gas tank specifictions

I have searched high and low for the standard gas tank capacity on an AU2 cab chassis, I assume it would be the same on any ute. The book that comes with the vehicle only has petrol tank capacity and it is factory gas, anyway can somebody help with this or point me in the right direction.

transitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

LPG ... uses twin LPG tanks ... maximum usuable capacity is 90L.
I ran mine dry .... and from dead empty (after being towed to a servo after one of the senders failed) ... I managed to fit in 100L.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

but who says you put 100L in maybe the servo has done a dodgy and made you pay for more than you took. hmmm
Old 19-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

True that ... I had the same thing happen at another servo ... and queried them about it adn they didn't know what to do about it.

I could have said I wasn't going to pay more than 90L.

But the 90L (usable limit) is only 80% of the actual capacity of the tank .. the Auto Fill Limiter will stop it at this mark. Thing is this sometimes changes when it comes down to the pressure left in the tank ... and temperatures of the day too can affect this.
Old 19-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
transitman
Starter Motor

Thanks guys but 90 or 100 litres can't be right for all is it!!!! my warning starts with around 70 klm's to go after doing about 280 to 300 klm's (depending on load). On filling up the factory gas tanks,one large and one smaller by the looks, it took the most gas I have put in it around 60 litres, normally at this stage of filling it takes around 50 litres,this has bought about the question on tank(s) capacity.As stated it would have to be towed if I run it out of gas to find out, The Bucketts Way is not somewhere to run out of gas, no gas stations and no phone reception.
Old 22-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Sounds like you have a stuffed LPG sender on the smaller tank ... it is only reading the larger 60L tank on the passenger side ... so I presume you get the driver's side tank sender replaced.

You are only effectively only using 2/3 of your capacity ... you still have about 20-30L left without realising it.

Your gauge on the dash is only reading from one sender hence giving you the incorrect reading.

Get it tested by a LPG mechanic ... the LPG senders are known to be faulty and fail on a regular basis.

These are usually about $140 each from Ford ... and are a weird resistance range too ... so usually only Ford can get them ... I have tried getting them elsewhere.
Old 23-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
transitman
Starter Motor

If that is the case then I am sick of Ford Falcons, after putting multiple auto gearboxes in, now this could be faulty and I have only had the vehicle a couple of months, this will be the one and only crappy Ford I will own.
Old 23-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Ive run mine down to less than 10 on the DTE a few times and every time it takes pretty much spot on 80L

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

It's a common issue ... the replacement of the part though isn't that difficult though (about 10 minutes per sender with a small Phillips head screw driver) ... my current set of senders have been going well for quite some time now ... previous set lasted me 100,000km .... I think that makes this set around the 50,000km mark so far.

As far as autos go ... i know they can be a weak link ... especially if working the vehicle quite a bit .... I have had one replaced ... but this time I had a strengthened one put in ... had a larger cooler added ... and I religiously service it every 20,000km. I know with my current auto ... how it has been treated and when it is serviced.
Old 27-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitman
If that is the case then I am sick of Ford Falcons, after putting multiple auto gearboxes in, now this could be faulty and I have only had the vehicle a couple of months, this will be the one and only crappy Ford I will own.
multiple auto gearboxes in a couple of months? : either you are thrashing it overloading extremly or they are dodgy transmissions you are fitting. these things run day in day out as cabs and if looked after you can get 400K or more from a transmission. even then it is a rebuild not a replacement . are you lugging big loads and towing and not using a cooler? i recomend you look at the cause instead of blaming a car renouned for it's longevity. sure they have some little annoyance but so do all cars. falcond do 800 to 900 000Ks as cabs on one engine i challenge you to get the competitor to do 1/2 this on a wide scale the occasional crummydore we see as a cab lasts 500K if they are lucky
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitman

Senders are known for going bung. AUvians know and accept this. We don't like it but we accept it.

As for your multiple gearboxes, how can so many be so rubbish? Are you putting new or reco boxes in, or just any old second handy, with only God knows how many kays and service life they've had? What are your expectations for the box? Are they unrealistic? BAs chewing gearboxes and diffs I've heard of, but not AUs at least not in normal use. Stav on the other hand loves blowing diffs and the odd box too IIRC! LOL!

AUvians also understand that the S5 solenoid often goes bung, causing rough kickdowns, particularly from 2nd to 1st. We usually get it changed or try to tolerate it.

If there is another reason for the gearboxes going bang (or whatever) and you get it sorted, you just may learn to appreciate the AU and heck, I'm going out on a limb here, you just may also want to stay with Ford in the land of the AU. If you throw in the towel, you just might not learn to come to love the AU like us.

If you give us a stack more detail about the box issues, we may be able to help you nut it out.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post