Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Steve
torque is your friend

Default Action against V8 Supercars Aus

G'dday all,
A group of us (from NSW and Vic) are looking at taking V8 Supercars Australia to "Consumer, Trading & Tenancy Tribunal NSW" and I need some help and/or advice.
The issue relates to reserved stand seating on pit straight at Bathurst where there was no view of the big screens. The complaint is that we paid for the seats and to be able to see the screens yet our view of both the screens and the timing tower were totally obstructed by sponsor flags. We've spoken to V8SA and they're basically telling us to get *******.
If anyone's got any advice on how to handle this or if anyone else was affected and wants to join the action plese let me know.

Thanks.

Old 23-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
MarkAW

Firstly do you have evidence that what you believe to be the case is what was offered by the promoters or retailers of the tickets?

Did the sales brochure state that you would have an uninterrupted view of the big screen and the track/timing tower?

Remember - caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW
Firstly do you have evidence that what you believe to be the case is what was offered by the promoters or retailers of the tickets?

Did the sales brochure state that you would have an uninterrupted view of the big screen and the track/timing tower?

It would be reasonable to assume if you have pit straight seats that a uninteruppted view of big screen and track/timing tower would be standard. Aren't these premium seats?

I have to say good luck to you though I doubt it will go anywhere.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do it, the money probably comes from walkinshaw anyways
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
It would be reasonable to assume if you have pit straight seats that a uninteruppted view of big screen and track/timing tower would be standard. Aren't these premium seats?

I have to say good luck to you though I doubt it will go anywhere.

Dont assume anything.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
Dont assume anything.
Too True..... Assumption is the mother of all F Up's is it not. :
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
As soon as the concept of assumption comes into it... it becomes a battle of $$$... company will bleed you dry with that element of ambiguity... lawyers love subjective arguments around assumption

If it's clear cut "false advertising", sec 52 of the Trade Practices Act kind of thing then its difficult for a large organisation to wipe out a group of individuals.

Certainly no legal advice to offer Seve... but just for my own interest... what representations were made to you regarding the tickets?
Old 23-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
MarkAW

Quote:
Presumptions are what litigations die on.

You either have evidence as I have previously indicated or don't waste your money with the solicitor. Having said this if your view of the track and by implication the event ie the cars speeding past, was totally obscured by the sponsorship regalia then you may have a case to fight as the tickets would imply a view of the "race". This is delving into the grey area of the Trade Practices Act under goods being fit of purpose and description of goods.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

You dont need hard evidence as in writing or a guarantee, courts are well aware this is not always possible, its a civil matter, not criminal. If the seats you purchase cost more than ordinary seats, one would expect something 'extra' to come with them. The question will be, what is that 'extra'? So what sets these seats apart from other seats? Solicitors and courts arent stupid, they will glean much from the facts. Courts dont let matters descend into he said, they said, but are more than willing to reason by implication, in fact its what they often do. When hard evidence is available, the matter rarely reaches court, a decent solicitor should advise you to settle the matter or drop it.

I have no idea if you have a case, but if the screen and lap time tower are part of the package you paid for, they should be visible.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"An opinion is like an ***hole - everybody has one." - Harry Callahan
Steve i read your sig. For what it's worth just change seats next year, it has taken 5 or so years of seat juggling at the clipsal to get front row gold on gillette corner, the crowd still all gather on the walkway in front of us ( to see the big bangs into the wall on that corner ), and we cant see as well, so we just cheer or boo and carry on with the rest of them till the next bingle.

It's a bit like being right up the back of a major rock concert, you dont see everything but you were there.

Other than that channel 10 do a good tv coverage.

Just my 2cents
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Steve i read your sig. For what it's worth just change seats next year, it has taken 5 or so years of seat juggling at the clipsal to get front row gold on gillette corner, the crowd still all gather on the walkway in front of us ( to see the big bangs into the wall on that corner ), and we cant see as well, so we just cheer or boo and carry on with the rest of them till the next bingle.

It's a bit like being right up the back of a major rock concert, you dont see everything but you were there.

Other than that channel 10 do a good tv coverage.

Just my 2cents
Yea a bit unaustralian i think, whats the world coming to when something offends you or isn't 1oo% perfect then you just go sue people................
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #12
rodderz

I can think of 100 better reasons to sue, sure you paid for good seats but to sue because you cant see the bloody screen?!!

Either you should of checked for screen positions beforehand or once there taken it up with nearby officials/grandstand employees etc
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
Steve
torque is your friend

None of us are litigation mad but we spoke up from the moment we got there only to be fobbed off by officials and told to keep coming back. At one point we were told that someone was on their way to see us only to find that three hours later we'd been ignored. We're not sueing for any real money, just a bit of a refund or even just to get up their noses for the way we were treated. Unaustralian? Maybe.
Perhaps next time I'll just rip the bloody thing down myself and be done with it.
Old 23-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
all4ford
XW 351

I think its a "reasonable" assumption to expect that you can see the big screens from your paid for seats. Although with that said, I am not familiar with the Bathurst spectator's facilities, nor with the cost of such seats versus other available seats.

However, if you do want to try and take this further, I would suggest to you the use of other avenues rather than going to court, as many others have stated, its a battle of the $$$ when it comes to courts.

So my suggestion is to contact a consumer group or current affair type program and voice a loud oppinion. V8 supercars would much rather bad publicity be kept quiet than to have people in any main stream media stating they were ripped off by the promoters of Australia's biggest motorsport event.

I personally would not be bothered with any such action, but if you really want to take this further, I think that is your best bet. I mean, if gamblers can blame the clubs and fat people can blame maccas, this should be a pushover. :
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
majin_andrew

I can't give you any advice, but I hope you get something out of them, you were ripped off IMO.
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Perhaps next time I'll just rip the bloody thing down myself and be done with it.
Now you're talking, Thats the aussie sprit :jab: !!!!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #17
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb
Now you're talking, Thats the aussie sprit :jab: !!!!
Nothing a few can's wouldn't help start :sm_headba .
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW

Or did it simply state that you would have one of the best seats at the event, right on the start/finish straight.

No point really, the only argument you might have would be the fact that the issue was raised with event staff and 'possibly' organizers but nothing was done about it even though they had assured you they would resolve the issue. If you are only after a refund or tickets to the next event this might be your best option, but even then it's won't be easy.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
Kyl3
Circlework.com.au

How much was your individual ticket?
Old 23-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #20
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

if you lose, you'll have to pay court costs wont you?
when thats compared to the ticket price, is it worth the risk?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 02:17 AM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Civil small claims court costs are only $50-100.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #22
turboute
turboute

start a riot next year... probably the only way the message will get through.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'd start at the Office of Fair Trading. They might tell you if its worth pursuing.
Old 24-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #24
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I'd start at the Office of Fair Trading. They might tell you if its worth pursuing.
yeah free advice and its usually the best start too

just save up for corporate box ticks lol, or as someone has said you just have to juggle around until you find the best spot.... or bring your own flag so no one else can see and everyone is happy...not really :P

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #25
Falchoon

If you want to watch the race on a TV screen you should of stayed at home and saved yourself a sh!tload of money. :
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #26
Steve
torque is your friend

None of this would've started if not for the way we were jerked around. If they couldn't do it then they should've just said so at the time.
The guys in NSW have contacted Consumer Affairs to come to a resolution but to no avail. The next step is to go the NSW equivalent of VCAT (Consumer, Trading & Tenancy Tribunal NSW). It wouldn't be a full blown court case with solicitors etc. I think it'd cost around $30 odd dollars to have it heard.
Personally I'm not fussed either way but I'm not the only one involved in this. One guy wanted to go to a certain channel 9 tv show that I won't even dignify by naming. He was quickly talked out of it thankfully. Either way I enjoyed the race and loved the result. It's just sh*tty attitude of the organisers that p*ssed me off. It's clearly obvious that the whole V8 supercar scam has gone away from being a race for the people to being a circus organised for the benefit of sponsors and to be marketable to a TV audience. Phillip Island was a perfect example of this.
Old 27-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #27
RS027
Perth XR5'er

This is why my tickets cost sooo much these days. People sueing others over F***all.
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS027
This is why my tickets cost sooo much these days. People sueing others over F***all.
Yeah, its got nothing to do with other costs and over paid, under-performing management. Its the thousands of lawsuits launched daily : .

Its nice to know there are still people around who I can rort and theyre too damn lazy to help themselves. Any excuse will do to do nothing.

Now Im off to buy a 1/2 inch RS027
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
RS027
Perth XR5'er

Sorry you lost me. I was busy reading on Google about how a man sues Over Deleted World of Warcraft Character, and another over a bad Horoscope... God bless America...oh I mean Australia.
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #30
Steve
torque is your friend

Hang on, no one is asking for compensation above the cost of a ticket.