Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

Default Drag Tag- What was he thinking?

what a great night it was last nigh as it was my first time watching the cars on the burnout pad. it started out fantastically with a really nice xe going nuts. anyway after a couple of hours there was a new car to go on. it drove out and to my complete shock and ... i cant find the words- a guy was starting to do burnouts in a 1967 MUSTANG FASTBACK- MK1. i thought- no it has to be a copy or something but when it was finished the announcer said that it was a genuine mustang. i could not believe what i was seeing/ hearing. why the hell would you do it in that car. those cars are ment not to be driven. let alone do burn outs. it was too painful to watch.:jab: i could see everyone shaking there heads (even people with holden jackets on). :

anyway thats all i have to say lol.
matt

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

whats wrong with doing burnouts in a mustang? and why arent they meant to be driven?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

His car, his money, his choice, good luck to him.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Whats the point of having such a beautiful toy if you can't use it?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Cars are fun, it seems he was having plenty. :evil3:
Any video ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I see no problem with him doing that. A car is to enjoy, and if he enjoys doing that in his car then why not? Would it be better to just let it sit in a garage and never hear the roar of the mustang? I think not.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had a mach 1 I would flog it still ( in a safe controlled environment of course )
Cars like that need to be driven not left to get dusty in a museum.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

i am not saying that he cant use it. of course he can, and yes it is his car/ money ect. what i am saying is that if i owned it i would be looking after it alot better than he is. even if i drove it everyday i would not even think of doing burnouts with it. i just think i see mustangs as show cars more than burnout cars.

2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Old 03-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

no sorry no video. sister broke my camera.

2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can buy brand new mustang bodies from the US now, worst case he damages the paint or damages the 1/4 panel. Now if it were a phase 3 it might be a different story....
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
You can buy brand new mustang bodies from the US now, worst case he damages the paint or damages the 1/4 panel. Now if it were a phase 3 it might be a different story....
Yep as above..............

I did see a GT HO crash into the wall at one of the first Sandown EasterNats, don't think it was original BUT what would I know.........

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Was it a light green one ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Who cares what car it was. At least you'd have fun doing it.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick EB
i just think i see mustangs as show cars more than burnout cars.
Somebody better set Gary Myers straight then

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

To be honest I don't have a prob in the least with a car guy enjoying his ride in whatever way he wants. The car in question (I suspect) is indeed an original Mach 1 Muzzie, and is a regular competitor out there on the pad. The following pic is from a demonstration day held the Saturday before the fpv open day.
I intend upon putting up a more thorough discussion of dragtag etc not too far into the future. I still have a lot of other photo work to get sorted through before then though.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Nice car....maybe they should rename the place Burnout Tag........
Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

That is one beautiful car. I wish I had one.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #18
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the base 69 mach 1 was a 3 wheel drum, 2barrel 351 wheezer with a 3 speed manual ... funny how they all grow brakes, a 4 barrel carb and a decent gearbox
I'd love one regardless, probably the only thing I would sell the XA for.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You haven't heard of Gary Meyers? "The burnout king" Have a guess what he drives...
http://www.garymyers.com.au/
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #20
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

My grandad has a '70 Mach One, and it saddens me to think that it hardly ever see's the light of day...

Good on the owner of the '69 Mach 1, I'd love to see more real muscle cars put through there paces!

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #21
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH

so what if it was a phase 3 big woopdy doo a tarted up xy v8! by the way i own and drive and thrash an xy fairmont. cars are made to be driven not trailered. if i had a phase 3, 69 302boss mustang, 70 429boss (427boss?) mustang, shelby supersnake etc etc etc aslong as it has tyres keys and petrol it will cop a hammering burnouts doughnuts and all! its only sheetmetal it can be repaired or replaced. i pity all the pansies out there that have the balls of a parrot and wont thrash a expensive car.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #22
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
so what if it was a phase 3 big woopdy doo a tarted up xy v8! by the way i own and drive and thrash an xy fairmont. cars are made to be driven not trailered. if i had a phase 3, 69 302boss mustang, 70 429boss (427boss?) mustang, shelby supersnake etc etc etc aslong as it has tyres keys and petrol it will cop a hammering burnouts doughnuts and all! its only sheetmetal it can be repaired or replaced. i pity all the pansies out there that have the balls of a parrot and wont thrash a expensive car.
perhaps some of us just have a small amount of respect for the cars we own! dosen't mean we are pansies any more than your attitude means you are a moron!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #23
XRCISM
Speed Demon

Cars are made for driving - mechanics and panel beaters are for repairing.

Mustangs were made to be driven HARD (excuse the pun boys). If you are gonna be precious about getting a scratch on it then you'll never experience the full enjoyment that a car like that can give you. I say if you can afford the rubber than have fun doing burnouts if that's your cup of tea.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #24
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

The overiding fact on all of this is that it needs to be done legally, and in the appropriate locations etc.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #25
gotanxr6

chris christou did the above mentioned in a phase 3 ho as well.
better than gary myers too!!! imo of course
Dean
gotanxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #26
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
perhaps some of us just have a small amount of respect for the cars we own! dosen't mean we are pansies any more than your attitude means you are a moron!
fully agree. there are some people who like to see their car APPRECIATE in value hence why they are garaged for most of their lives and only driven on rare/special occasions. on the other hand i can also see the side of "if you own it, drive it" attitude. not everyone knows how to appreciate what they have and just take for granted that if something goes wrong, a mechanic will repair it. and what happened to "if something goes wrong , I will fix it"? dont people know how to fix their classics anymore? shame on you people that fob any repair job off to a qualified person, learn to fix things your selves!

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #27
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

the only thing i have had to get done by someone else on my car is the windscreen and exhaust, apart from that my own 2 hands did the rest and im only a mechanic.

whether you drive your car hard and fast or slow and steady it will appreciate in value, if you garage it how much more is it going to worth?
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #28
The Monty
Just slidin'

Chris does it in a phase three, so whats the difference? I say drive it like they are meant to be, otherwise whats the use of having it in the first place.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:08 AM   #29
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Better than treating them like a stamp collection or a painting on a wall,as seems to be a recent trend in some circles...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They arnt worth much.

Here, you can get one for USD$30k.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-MA...QQcmdZViewItem

In terms of value, its no different than someone doing a burnout in an BF XR6 turbo.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post