Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hyundai "Hoon"

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...2-drink-driver

Quote:
A 23-year-old P-plate driver had his licence suspended after being caught speeding and drink-driving in central NSW, police say.

Highway patrol officers clocked the man driving a Hyundai Elantra at 172km/h on a stretch of Burrendong Way, Euchareena, where the limit is 100km/h.

He returned a low-range positive blood alcohol breath test, police say.

P-platers should have a zero blood-alcohol level.

His P2 licence was suspended on the spot and he was given a court attendance notice.
An example showing that car restrictions don't stop excessive speeding. The driver controls the throttle and in this case kept it planted

Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Next they will say if he didnt have a 'low range positive alcohol test' he wouldnt have been speeding.
Old 14-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just goes to show how things have changed.

Who would have thought "Hyundai" and "hoon" in the same sentence would have ever been possible.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Just goes to show how things have changed.

Who would have thought "Hyundai" and "hoon" in the same sentence would have ever been possible.
i think too many people are getting caught up with the word hoon. media and police like to say it - we do not like it said. i do not see the problem with the word. as most words, it is generalising a type of person, and that person no doubt believes they should not be stereotyped with the others

the car does not matter, anyone can be silly on the road, but it seems to be that the owners of high performance or base model (falcons and commode dores) of those cars are more likely to be silly than others. that does not mean other drivers are better, just less interested in cars and therefore generally will not hoon as much
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i think too many people are getting caught up with the word hoon. media and police like to say it - we do not like it said. i do not see the problem with the word. as most words, it is generalising a type of person, and that person no doubt believes they should not be stereotyped with the others

the car does not matter, anyone can be silly on the road, but it seems to be that the owners of high performance or base model (falcons and commode dores) of those cars are more likely to be silly than others. that does not mean other drivers are better, just less interested in cars and therefore generally will not hoon as much
Good post, call them what they are idiots that deserved to get caught and
processed before a solid object catches them or they hurt someone else....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

What is the media trying to achieve here, that one apple should spoil it for the whole barrel? Young people (esp. males) are always going to push the boundaries as they feel as though they are invincible.

Instead of constantly bringing in harsher laws until P platers are driving around horses and carts @ the young age of 21 (ha ha ha goodbye apprentices) maybe they should educate and even scare young drivers more when they are still in school.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
What is the media trying to achieve here, that one apple should spoil it for the whole barrel? Young people (esp. males) are always going to push the boundaries as they feel as though they are invincible.

Instead of constantly bringing in harsher laws until P platers are driving around horses and carts @ the young age of 21 (ha ha ha goodbye apprentices) maybe they should educate and even scare young drivers more when they are still in school.
I have to admit, being restricted to horses would be pretty funny.

"I'll make it to work at approximately Wednesday, but there might be a delay because the council just cut the grass on the side of the road, so I need to stop to get Food for my ride every few hours."

We'll be restricted to horses and you guys will have a highway limit of 40km/h.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
dsyfer

I read this story on two different news sites, and in neither stories did the word "hoon" appear, $10 says if they were driving a 6 or 8 cylinder car it would have made the headline.
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyfer
I read this story on two different news sites, and in neither stories did the word "hoon" appear, $10 says if they were driving a 6 or 8 cylinder car it would have made the headline.

Scary point but probably true.

In a 4 cyl non turbo car the driver is considered irresponsible by the press, in a turb, six or eight with even a wiff of performance about it, he is no longer irresponsible and it is now the cars fault.
Old 14-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$10 says if they were driving a 6 or 8 cylinder car it would have made the headline.
I have to sadly agree with this statement.
Many years ago I had a rather staunch XC that you could hear along time
before you would see it, I also owned a brand new Hyundai Excel as a daily driver.
The suburb I lived in was very conservitive and it use to amaze me peoples reactions
to the 2 cars, the Excel I could be flying down the road and no one would notice,
the XC on the other hand I could cruise down the road doing 10klms under the limit
and people would clutch their children like I was going to lose control mount
the foot path and mow them all down.
All of this was around the time when QLD police were 1st starting to hit the
likes of Harrys dinner and it was on ACA every second day.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But that speed would have seen the car impounded under "Hoon" laws
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
dsyfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
But that speed would have seen the car impounded under "Hoon" laws
For sure, but I don't like the way the media choose when and where to use the word "hoon", unfortunately too many times it is used as a term attached to only modified or performance cars, and not to the offense being committed no matter what type of car is involved.
Old 14-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Scary point but probably true.

In a 4 cyl non turbo car the driver is considered irresponsible by the press, in a turb, six or eight with even a wiff of performance about it, he is no longer irresponsible and it is now the cars fault.
its that moronic logic they use as scare tactics and mount a witch hunt and a save the children rally, in reality if you have a look at the stats, its about 2.1% of the entire road toll that is attributed to 'reckless driving' *proper term* or for those that only read the paper 'hooning' - in the doing skid/high speed/dangerous for the conditions driving.

Im really really unsure as to why with NO facts they go off on a tangent and get idiotic laws past and then penalise everyone under the one banner for something that already had a law/punishment just under a different guise and a fairer one, it used to be speeding/failure to maintain control of vehicle/excessive noise and smoke/dangerous driving, now its just HOONING :

public needs to grow up, remember when they were young, understand you cant legislate against stupidity and get rid of this Save the children/save your self from your self mentality.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TE50#134
I have to sadly agree with this statement.
Many years ago I had a rather staunch XC that you could hear along time
before you would see it, I also owned a brand new Hyundai Excel as a daily driver.
The suburb I lived in was very conservitive and it use to amaze me peoples reactions
to the 2 cars, the Excel I could be flying down the road and no one would notice,
the XC on the other hand I could cruise down the road doing 10klms under the limit
and people would clutch their children like I was going to lose control mount
the foot path and mow them all down.
All of this was around the time when QLD police were 1st starting to hit the
likes of Harrys dinner and it was on ACA every second day.
Haha, soo true.

After GavL got his uber-loud exhaust put on his N/A BA, we went for a exhaust celebratory cruise (as you do), he drove up my very quiet, one-lane suburban street at something like 40kmh, some douche who lives up the street from me was walking in the other direction and started shaking his head and yelled at us [gav] calling us a F***KING IDIOT! etc etc.

We weren't speeding
We weren't spinning the wheels
We had to be in a low gear to get up the damn hill (really steep)

I don't know, I think the only effing idiot in this scenario is him, yelling at random cars! Man, he's lucky we weren't like some roided-up psychos on the roads that would have stopped and fixed him up!
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

some people deserve to yell at the wrong person sometimes, might teach them to pull their heads in ;)

Old 14-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was he going downhill with a big tailwind?
Old 14-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

er, yes Elantras do go pretty well ;-) Easy hit the double tonne in the NT before the 130 limits.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
Haha, soo true.

After GavL got his uber-loud exhaust put on his N/A BA, we went for a exhaust celebratory cruise (as you do), he drove up my very quiet, one-lane suburban street at something like 40kmh, some douche who lives up the street from me was walking in the other direction and started shaking his head and yelled at us [gav] calling us a F***KING IDIOT! etc etc.

We weren't speeding

I don't know, I think the only effing idiot in this scenario is him, yelling at random cars! Man, he's lucky we weren't like some roided-up psychos on the roads that would have stopped and fixed him up!

Have seen people doing this before abusing guys with noisy exhausts playing doof doof music cruising through shopping centres with their baseball caps on backwards last time I saw it ,it was a group of females saying what tools these guys where.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
Have seen people doing this before abusing guys with noisy exhausts playing doof doof music cruising through shopping centres with their baseball caps on backwards last time I saw it ,it was a group of females saying what tools these guys where.
I can honestly say we aren't ANY of these stereotypes, I hate these types too.

We gave him no reason at all to react like that, he just thought he'd be the hero.
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #20
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO a very bad choice of thread title considering the word HOON was not mentioned in the report by the media.

Why arc up when there is no reason to arc up?

Seems some of car enthusiasts just want whine about something even when there is nothing to whine about.

"Damned if you do and damned if you don't".
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

That guy isn't a hoon, he is a speeding drink driver, these days it seems anyone doing anything wrong in a car is now a hoon! :
Old 14-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #22
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
Haha, soo true.

We weren't speeding

this is all too common I had a similar thing was driving along with a dimwit kid i dunno maybe 14 was mucking around like a dropkick on the nature strip right on the gutter I chose to stop and not run him over he stopped being an idiot and I drove past and got a pair of birds and the customary "EFFING IDIOT" screamed at me - I was thinking if i was being an effing idiot I would have driven past you so fast as to suck you off your bike and the grass off the nature strip and not given a crap about the fact you are there and I may run you over.. This is one example of many when I have been on the receiving end of sidewalk tuff guys telling you how to drive from the footpath

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
IMO a very bad choice of thread title considering the word HOON was not mentioned in the report by the media.

Why arc up when there is no reason to arc up?

Seems some of car enthusiasts just want whine about something even when there is nothing to whine about.

"Damned if you do and damned if you don't".
but I think that could be the piont. What would have been said if the car was an XR6/commo S or impreza, whatever, this would have been all over the joint with 'hoon' as the major selling piont. The public would have demanded his car get crushed, this guy go to jail, and apologies to all the people in Australia he was bound to run over. But the fact is it was a Hyandui, they can't play of anything, there's no shock value in a 4cl Korean car.
Just like the other week when an XR6 hit a tree in the wet, media all over it, even though the police said there was no evidence of foul play, it was still an XR6 waiting to kill someone.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

This guy is a hoon. He is exactly the same as every other idiot out there who thinks he is a hero and is untouchable. Whether or not the media labels him a "hoon" or just another speeding driver doesn't matter to the people who have a brain and can see past all the media bullcrap!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #25
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
but I think that could be the piont. What would have been said if the car was an XR6/commo S or impreza, whatever, this would have been all over the joint with 'hoon' as the major selling piont. The public would have demanded his car get crushed, this guy go to jail, and apologies to all the people in Australia he was bound to run over. But the fact is it was a Hyandui, they can't play of anything, there's no shock value in a 4cl Korean car.
Just like the other week when an XR6 hit a tree in the wet, media all over it, even though the police said there was no evidence of foul play, it was still an XR6 waiting to kill someone.
I just don't get the point in bitchin' about something that didn't happen! It wasn't a turbo, a 6cyl or an V8, there was no media beat up, no hoon tag so why complain?

What should the media have written? Beat it up the so we can complain about it?

If the media don't to beat it up out of proportion then the forums will do it instead!! :
Old 14-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #26
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
This guy is a hoon. He is exactly the same as every other idiot out there who thinks he is a hero and is untouchable. Whether or not the media labels him a "hoon" or just another speeding driver doesn't matter to the people who have a brain and can see past all the media bullcrap!
Why is he a "hoon"? He is a speeding driver full stop!
Old 14-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #27
DJREB5
love my eb,s

well ther is no need to say it all agen most of you are very correct but think of the speed he wold have dun if he had a falcon most likly over 200 i have been on a nice day out with my kids for a drive and been calld a hoon with my car. it has a fue mods and you can hear me comeing but dont rember the larst time i did a skid or even went moor then 10 over the limet so we all get punisht for the nob head out ther

and i love the pic on EBMAUNAL when we a chating on hoons lol
DJREB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #28
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
I just don't get the point in bitchin' about something that didn't happen! It wasn't a turbo, a 6cyl or an V8, there was no media beat up, no hoon tag so why complain?

What should the media have written? Beat it up the so we can complain about it?

If the media don't to beat it up out of proportion then the forums will do it instead!! :
I did happen, so what if it wasn't a turbo, 6cl or V8, it was a 4cl. The media didn't beat it up because it would undermine what they have been saying for the last year odd, and make them look stupid. They are shaping public opinion saying large cars=bad, small cars=good.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #29
dsyfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
I did happen, so what if it wasn't a turbo, 6cl or V8, it was a 4cl. The media didn't beat it up because it would undermine what they have been saying for the last year odd, and make them look stupid. They are shaping public opinion saying large cars=bad, small cars=good.
Exactly, the term 'hoon' should be used to describe a driver's actions, not the type of car that is being driven. Otherwise, in the not too distant future 'hoon' & 'car enthusiast' will be interchangeable words in the media, which unfortunately in the eyes of most of conservative Australians (read: the majority of voters) is taken as 'gospel'.
Old 14-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #30
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

you cant just have it ONE way, which I believe what is trying to be said by the a few members here, either a hoon is someone doing 170+ in a 100zone or its not, its not based on if he did it in a XR6 or a mondeo he is still doing 170+ in a 100zone.

its not a hard concept to work out why people are upset, HOON is just used depending on what type of car you are driving when you crash.

ditto for P plates, 80 yo granny mistakes accelerator for brake and kills 1 in a cafe, P plater looses control in the wet and takes out pedestrian killing one.. end result is the same but I guarantee the latter will be front page and the other snuck in on page 5.

media in general needs a brick to the face.