Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Angry To: (Vict)Woolworths/Safeway NIghtfill ( Start Looking for a new Job)

hey guys, this past tuesday i got told the worst news ever my store Wheelers Hill Woolworths are getting Rid of nightfill and they actaully doing it aswell which is freaking me out big time, ive had to call the union twice about it, and just yesterday they have put all the nightfiller on evening : on the rooster , when i was in the nightfill meeting my manager said the reason they are getting rid of nightfill is because of profit no money, i could't belive it when i heard it, plus get this Woolworths will be tring to get rid of Nightfill Completly in the next few months, the money i'll be losing will be $230 which is heaps at the moment i am looking for a new new job there is no way i'm going to evening., i honestly don't want to leave woolworths either since i just hit 6.5 years and so close to long service but when they do something like this what choice do i have, plus working nightfill now way different now, they are giving alot annual leave's now which is weird ive already 2 annual leave days this week which is uncommon, this is just a little warning to any woolworths/safeway nightfiller out there prepared for the worst in the coming months

Thanks Erik

ps - admin please fix my speling if you can't read this probably

Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Not many supermarkets employ night staff in country areas anymore.

Around here Woolies and Coles are open untill 10:00pm and they use regular staff to fill the shelves whilst the shop is still open.

This saves the store money and makes life much more interesting for the shopper, who has to fight their way along the aisles between pallets of product!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

Around here Woolies and Coles are open untill 10:00pm and they use regular staff to fill the shelves whilst the shop is still open.

This saves the store money and makes life much more interesting for the shopper, who has to fight their way along the aisles between pallets of product!

Yeah , i will continue to until somone hurts themselves and sue's
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

Yeah true the only stores left that haven't gone to evenings in woolworths are victoria, all the rest have, plus roll cages
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
DashXR6T
Dash FG XR6T

Im a nightfiller too, now you got me worried about my job :( I hope it aint for all Woolies in Melb..
The New: FG XR6 Turbo in Dash:Sunroof, Custom Exhaust with Quad 3.5" Tips, Xr8 Bonnet, 20"GT Rims, Lowered on SSSL & SSL King Springs. Growler Intake, 30% Tint, Viper 2 Way Alarm, Philips Diamond Vision 5000K Headlights&Foggies

The Old AU Series III Fairmont Ghia, Sunroof, Leather, Prem Sound, Lowered On SSSL+SSL King Springs,Tint,19" BF Super Pursuit Rims, 6000K HID's, 2.5 Inch Exhaust+Twin Tips. Fairlane Chrome Mirrors.
System:Alpine Dvd Player, 2x12" Alpine TyreR Subs, Pioneer Mono Amp.
DashXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP-GHIA
Im a nightfiller too, now you got me worried about my job :( I hope it aint for all Woolies in Melb..
ive what ive got told it is only some selected woolworths will stay with nightfill the rest will go.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a duty manager with Woolworths, and I havn't heard a thing. We're in country Vic, and we're open till midnight.

The only reason I can think of is, they would avoid paying penalties you would receive working after midnight and into the morning.

But I couldn't imagine having a team of night fillers in during the evening, unless every thing came in roll cages. We're usually busy right up till 11-11.30pm most nights and having stock and pallets floating around just after and during peak hours would be crazy.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^^^^^^^ Same here only DM for Coles. (Guess thats why we are posting at this time of day) lol. We still have night fill and couldn't fill the shop with only regular staff. Our shop open till 10 but fillers on till 11 or 12. We used to do dawn fill but that became night fill about 10 years ago. I was one who it effected most but they will say its a business decision and tough titty for you. We as with Woolies have everything basically on roll cages and pallets not allowed on shop floor till at least store closes. Not much left by then. Sorry bud but thats life.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
sxckevo
Ford motor company

when i was working at coles doing night shift last year they were considering get rid of night shift to cut costs. because where i worked it closed at 12 but we worked right through to open the next morning so the lights etc were never turned off and i think they were losing to much money paying night shift wages. so they were just going to stack shelves in the day instead which would be silly as customers would forever be walking around us :

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find they will just work within the boundrys of the times where there is no penalties. ie there is no penalty rates up till midnight so thats when the nightfill will end. Mostly shifts will be from 7-11 or 8-12. It either gets done by then or it is finished off the next day by daystaff. Up till about 7 or 8 years ago penalties were paid after 10pm but that changed allowing for the evening/night fills. Of course Coles , Woolies IGA etc all have their own but similar award agreements so it will depend on those agreements when penalties apply.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Mostly shifts will be from 7-11 or 8-12.
thats what time my new rooster says them 2 hours that you have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I'm a duty manager with Woolworths, and I havn't heard a thing. We're in country Vic, and we're open till midnight.

The only reason I can think of is, they would avoid paying penalties you would receive working after midnight and into the morning.

But I couldn't imagine having a team of night fillers in during the evening, unless every thing came in roll cages. We're usually busy right up till 11-11.30pm most nights and having stock and pallets floating around just after and during peak hours would be crazy.
you haven't heard anything yet but it may happen in the coming months ahead, really depends how your store are going with profit if they making money nightfill will stay open, if there're not nightfill will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
. We as with Woolies have everything basically on roll cages and pallets not allowed on shop floor till at least store closes. Not much left by then. Sorry bud but thats life.
yeah true you not allowed to have rollcages on the fllor only the rollcage that your currently working on.

Last edited by Ralliart; 06-02-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, its just the new management going thrugh their BS to attempt to improve things.

I do deliveries for woolworths and i am telling you, there is NO damn way at all that they will be able to tighten up the delievery schedules for the trucks any more than they already have..

Some stores have even been missing out on their deliveries latley due to warehouse delays and etc..
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Sorry to hear about this mate, maybe you can get a job doing something else in the store, there must be some postitions avaliable?

Hope you find something soon!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Since when has Woolworths been operating in Victoria? I haven't lived in Vic for 5 years and it was Safeway then. From memory there was only one Woolies in Victoria which was in Mildrua. I'm guessing that safeway has been changed to woolworths due to Woolies new branding.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Sorry to hear about this mate, maybe you can get a job doing something else in the store, there must be some postitions avaliable?

Hope you find something soon!
i can but i don't think i will bother with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Since when has Woolworths been operating in Victoria? I haven't lived in Vic for 5 years and it was Safeway then. From memory there was only one Woolies in Victoria which was in Mildrua. I'm guessing that safeway has been changed to woolworths due to Woolies new branding.
mate they been rebrading safeway since late 09
Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #16
WarNerve
And look how happy he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
all safeway are turning wollies and all bilo are going coles.

except fountain gate as there is a coles a bilo right near each other and until they get off thier asses new development it could end up being the only bilo left in vic

FGX XR8 Blue
[/b][/SIZE]
WarNerve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #17
JAYMZ
My Deception

i can tell you right now, if they have said that nightfill will be going to evening fill then your lucky you still have hours to work.

As at the moment cost cutting is huge, cant believe it myself how crazy it is, it goes deeper than wages.

Hey Ralliart, my opinion is stay with them as you will have hours still and money,( not as much though) and your still in the safest job - Everyone needs food.

No jobs will be going, they have said that's not how they want to do it.
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
JAYMZ
My Deception

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueI6
all safeway are turning wollies and all bilo are going coles.

except fountain gate as there is a coles a bilo right near each other and until they get off thier asses new development it could end up being the only bilo left in vic

thats because fountain gate center management have said either leave it as bilo or sell it, as they dont want 2 coles stores.

Southland was the same, they had to sell it. now aldi have got it.
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

A department manager/Duty manager here albeit it in QLD. Ive heard nothing at all in regards to Woolworths getting rid of NF staff or removing the night shift. The only reason they would do this is obvious to save penalty rates.
Our end builds have been shifted from Sunday night to Monday morn, saving money.
As for shelves being filled during the day our nightfillers arent allowed to 'drop' stock untill 8pm (1hr before close). My department still fills stock during the day (Perishables) Wait until around April with the new sales and wages budgets to come they are ridiculous to say the least its not going to get any easier
Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #20
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

many thanks guys, i have not lost my job but now having a long think of resigning from job since the money that i'll use everyweek will signally reduced will be gone there is no point staying in the job if can't pay my bill with the money i get with this job, there is no way i'm going to work night and get $580, id rather get a new job than i'm going have make a quick desicion through because i will have to give in my resignation tonight since they need two weeks notice.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why? I would just hang it out untill you get your pro-rata long service, then resign. Be thankful that you even have a job, especially since you can't spell!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Crap!!! So I'm not the only one being stooged by Woolworths either?!

What's going on?! I've been given that "low profit" and "tight budget" rubbish for the last 2 weeks, going on 3 weeks now!
I work nightfill at Big W in Melbourne, I call often to ask if there's any work, and they turn me away!
I am 2 seconds away from just telling them to shove it, I can't live on no income!

It just doesn't make any sense at all, I was one of 900 applicants only a few months ago, they went through all the effort of interviewing all these people, doing inductions, finally I start working over Christmas break. I was reliable and I did my job well, and now I'm wondering why they even bothered hiring me at all!?
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
What's going on?! I've been given that "low profit" and "tight budget" rubbish for the last 2 weeks, going on 3 weeks now!
I work nightfill at Big W in Melbourne, I call often to ask if there's any work, and they turn me away!
I am 2 seconds away from just telling them to shove it, I can't live on no income!

It just doesn't make any sense at all, I was one of 900 applicants only a few months ago, they went through all the effort of interviewing all these people, doing inductions, finally I start working over Christmas break. I was reliable and I did my job well, and now I'm wondering why they even bothered hiring me at all!?
How about because Christmas and school holidays are over and thing are back to being 'normal'. So they don't need as many people. I take it that your only casual/part time?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #24
MAV50L
Banned

Quote:
Crap!!! So I'm not the only one being stooged by Woolworths either?!

You did exactly what they wanted you to do.
Kept the store stocked over Christmas. If they had of advertised the job as casual and just for the christmas break noone would apply.
It sucks but has been happening for years.
The building trade is incrediable for it! Major building companies will have a huge project to get knocked over , employee people on the word of a long and rich career with the company. Get you to work your **** off , keep the overtime up to you so you get the job done and once the project is finished and signed off , then come the forced holidays.
"Take 3 weeks off and we have another big one coming in..............."
Generally you come back to work on the Monday after your 3 weeks off and get laid off.
When I was in the game I used to beatthem to the punch. As soon as the talk of having some time off started , I would just ask for the redundancy straight up. I always knew it was coming.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #25
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

I am only casual, but it's gone from EVERY day of the week to nothing overnight.

I'm starting to agree with MAV, I'm probably being stoodged after Christmas is over, which I think is extremely appauling for such a big, glorified Australian company.

I am going to give them a couple of days, then go down there personally and deliver an ultimatum, I can't live on no income, and I can't sit around hoping for them to give me work any more.
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

Build Thread
Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Why? I would just hang it out untill you get your pro-rata long service, then resign. Be thankful that you even have a job, especially since you can't spell!
Untill = Until.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #27
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Untill = Until.
pwned! hahaha.

Build Thread
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #28
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Untill = Until.
Yes but we could understand what he was saying.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #29
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am only casual, but it's gone from EVERY day of the week to nothing overnight.

I'm starting to agree with MAV, I'm probably being stoodged after Christmas is over, which I think is extremely appauling for such a big, glorified Australian company.

I am going to give them a couple of days, then go down there personally and deliver an ultimatum, I can't live on no income, and I can't sit around hoping for them to give me work any more.
MAV50L is exactly correct, so start looking for other work. They might give you a shift or two in the next month but unless you are now willing to hang on till Easter holidays then there wont be much else. You won't be the only one thinking of resigning but if you stay those who do go will leave more work for the others including you. Frustrating I know but unfortunatly thats the way supermarkets work. None are any different. My own stores daily sales are down 10-20k a day in just two weeks since the last of the school hols.

As for you "going down there personally" they won't give a toss as it happens all the time and who do you think you are thinking you can give them an ultimatum.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not wanting to sound rude but how old are you?

Big companies have always employed more staff over the Christmas period. Usually leaning toward younger people, who need money for the holidays and who don't think that it will only be for a short term.