Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation 6 speed gear box???

Just saw the add on TV for the new Pulsar with a 6 speed gear box, whats with that??
Like it would be battling to use 5th, does it have that much top end it needs a 6th?
:

Old 24-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Really short gearing?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ummm...

There is no new Pulsar !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, well it was some little Nissan, was paying much attention until they said 6 speed.
Its the add where the bloke and the woman both want different things but both agree on this little shoe box and they rattle off what all its features are.
Old 24-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tiida(sp)?

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTom
Tiida(sp)?
Thats the one.

I would say it has short gear ratios otherwise as you said you would hardly get into 5th gear let alone 6th.
Old 24-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Yeah I think the 6 speed has been out for a while. I remember the salesman telling me about it in January. In case you were wondering, no I wasn't thinking of buying one. I just wanted to see what rubbish they brought in instead of the rock solid Pulsar. I'm happy with my Focus

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

what i really wanna know tho, is who the hell came up with such a ****** up name?
Old 25-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
SirJuggsalot

the 6th gear is reverse, isnt it?

jk
Old 25-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Are you serious about these cars not having the urge to use a 5th or 6th gear???

And why not?? 4cyl engines are not what they were 20 years ago thats for sure.

In the Festiva im already in 5th by 65km/h.... and this gear has to be held even when im doing almost double that speed so I only wish I had another cog to choose.

Take any modern 1.8 or 2ltr small / med car for a spin and you will be impressed. The only people who will think there is not enough power or that the car doesnt pull 5th gear fast enough are the people woh are used to driving cars with more cubes...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Ummm...

There is no new Pulsar !
They do say on the ad "replacement for the Pulsar", so he prob just picked that bit up...
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Are you serious about these cars not having the urge to use a 5th or 6th gear???

And why not?? 4cyl engines are not what they were 20 years ago thats for sure.

In the Festiva im already in 5th by 65km/h.... and this gear has to be held even when im doing almost double that speed so I only wish I had another cog to choose.

Take any modern 1.8 or 2ltr small / med car for a spin and you will be impressed. The only people who will think there is not enough power or that the car doesnt pull 5th gear fast enough are the people woh are used to driving cars with more cubes...

This is a common mis-conception, that the 6 speed auto has the same gears as a 4 speed plus another 2 overdrives - this is false.

When manufacturers put more gears in, they spread it evenly over the speed range, as to allow the engine to be in its "sweet spot" longer.

For example, the 6 speed auto in the Falcon has 5 of the 6 gears LOWER than 4th in the 4 speed box. Even then, 6th is only 1.47% taller, which is sweet f&*k all.

This "sweet spot" idea is pretty simple. Say the Falcon generates max power @ 3000-5000rpm, then if it was a one speed box, then sweet spot would be available in one range, say 30-60km/h, if it had a two speed, then it would be available in two ranges, say 20-35km/h and 40-65km/h. Add more gears, and you can continually cover more and more roadspeed in the "sweet spot". This is why the Nissan Micra's CVT (continually variable transmission) is a good idea for small cars, cause the engine will always be on tune where it generates max power.

They will never push overdrive much past this ratio (currently .89:1), as our present speed limits means that there is simply no need for taller gearing.

Yellow_Festiva your Festiva is geared as such because a) the engine probably lacks torque to use even higher gears at freeway speeds, you would be changing gears for hills all the time and b) the Festiva is a towncar, as isnt designed for contunual freeway driving.

Hope this clears it up.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post