Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Now this is a Toyota I WILL be buying.

A bigger fuel tank a bull bar and some decent suspension, and I reckon that this will be one of the best 4X4's sold in Australia. Check out the torque on the V8 turbo diesel.

http://www.lc70.toyota.com.au/toyota...epagePromoLC70

Old 30-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

They will be the biggest waste of money you could get..... $54k with no airbags, no ABS and NO AIR-CONDITIONING, plus the engine has been absolutely strangled to only produce those pathetic power out puts....
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
pb02
inconceivable!

Awesome! Thanks for that link. I was really dissapointed they didn't have one at the Melbourne Motor Show. Would love one of these things!!!
Mate of mine has over 700,000ks on his 75 series and it's never stopped once!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I've had the opportunity to drive one of these, and whilst I'm obviously not an enthusiast for big utes or trucks, this was a cool truck to drive! The ideal market for this vehicle is for farmers and as such Toyota doesn't believe it needs the safety mod cons that every day cars need these days.

Awesome engine, lots of torque and really gets up and boogies when you need it to. The top mount intercooler is huge too! Heh
Old 30-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

Honestly, how can they equate the pricing?
R&D costs would have been quite minimal. It's not really any different to a 75 series landcruiser.

I mean, you said it yourself. It still has leaf springs! And how the hell does it pass safety standards without airbags and ABS? Thos chunky tyres wouldn't be much chop in the wet!

I love the fact that it has vinyl seats/roof/floor/steering wheel? But this was all available on a 75 series 'cruiser. And I'm tipping the dash will be familiar to 75 series owners.

Just go and buy an old 75 series if you REALLY need something like this. Just ensure you get one that has had "A bigger fuel tank a bull bar and some decent suspension" fitted already.
Old 30-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
MON10A

at least they are a 4 wheel drive you can take real off roading and not a powder puff suv
MON10A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston
They will be the biggest waste of money you could get..... $54k with no airbags, no ABS and NO AIR-CONDITIONING, plus the engine has been absolutely strangled to only produce those pathetic power out puts....
Have a look around at other offerings...... The engine outputs are good. Most 4x4 drivers avaoid ABS like the plague. And Air con is a option, no big deal. Airbags?? Who cares. Seems like you should do some more homework on 4 wheelers.
Old 30-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

So they've put a new engine and front on a 25y/o body & chassis.Trouble is,they will still sell like hotcakes.
Old 30-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Have a look around at other offerings...... The engine outputs are good. Most 4x4 drivers avaoid ABS like the plague. And Air con is a option, no big deal. Airbags?? Who cares. Seems like you should do some more homework on 4 wheelers.
I wouldn't waste my breathe. The people that know about them and NEED them, love them and swear by them. I was looking at a Hilux but now might be persuaded to look at one of these now they are out.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklier
Honestly, how can they equate the pricing?
R&D costs would have been quite minimal. It's not really any different to a 75 series landcruiser.

I mean, you said it yourself. It still has leaf springs! And how the hell does it pass safety standards without airbags and ABS? Thos chunky tyres wouldn't be much chop in the wet!

I love the fact that it has vinyl seats/roof/floor/steering wheel? But this was all available on a 75 series 'cruiser. And I'm tipping the dash will be familiar to 75 series owners.

Just go and buy an old 75 series if you REALLY need something like this. Just ensure you get one that has had "A bigger fuel tank a bull bar and some decent suspension" fitted already.
The GXL wagon is nicely optioned up. And as MON10A has said at least it is a proper off roader. LEAF springs are the way to go off road. Their strength is far better that coil. I wont be long before ARB will be touting bull bars and tanks and things.
Old 30-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

being a country bumpkin i've always liked the 4wd's and utes. the new 'cruiser looks like they've mixed old and new new front and bottom with old school 'cruiser back end. no good to me in the city though. nice :
Old 30-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
So they've put a new engine and front on a 25y/o body & chassis.Trouble is,they will still sell like hotcakes.
Trouble..... why trouble? They will be a robust capable off roader that I can load up the family, hook up the camper and head where ever I want. Where's the trouble??

Last edited by Outbackjack; 30-03-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a terrible vehicle. It looks like it was designed to drive in the bush or something.

How am I supposed to cruise around the inner city in my "designer series" Crocodile Dundee outfit and travel to "The Outback" (an nice metro wine bar I frequent) or wander up and down the freeway blocking the fast lane so everyone can see how hot I look if it does not have a MP3 capable stereo or dual zone aircon or imported leather seats or colour keyed interior or dual cooled vodka cruiser holders with fake beer tin exteriors?

Obviously not a vehicle for the serious 4WD enthusiest market.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
mcnamg

they brought out the 5 door version as the new 200 series thats coming out later this year has dropped the stripper model that had barn doors and skinny wheels and a vinyl interior that was popular with fleets and rentals. This car will fill that gap and I personally love the shape just wish that they had done something with the dash is all.

The V8 uses less fuel than the old straight six as well and funnily enough Toyota even said that if it wasnt for Euro 4 requiring them to drop the 6 it would have stayed and they wouldnt have even restyled the front end (which was only done to fit the new V8 in)
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamg
they brought out the 5 door version as the new 200 series thats coming out later this year has dropped the stripper model that had barn doors and skinny wheels and a vinyl interior that was popular with fleets and rentals. This car will fill that gap and I personally love the shape just wish that they had done something with the dash is all.

The V8 uses less fuel than the old straight six as well and funnily enough Toyota even said that if it wasnt for Euro 4 requiring them to drop the 6 it would have stayed and they wouldnt have even restyled the front end (which was only done to fit the new V8 in)
Flap, you still got a little venom on your lip there, just wipe it off, right, there ya go.

:P

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #16
Teza_XR8ute
HiLux SR5 & 68 XT ute

i have a 03 td landcruiser ute for work. ive got big tool boxes that run accross the sides, drums of cable and 3 ladders. this new rig is awesome!! i get on average 1200clicks to a tank.. pulling about 1 tonne on the back and a towing capacity of over 3t! im forever towing transformers around quite easily! sure it has vinyl seats and old style dash board but i dont think you can go past them for a work or fame ute!

dont knock them till you have driven one!

cant wait till my lease is up, one of these will definalty be in the driveway!
Old 30-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #17
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree it is a tad pricey but diesel engines aren't cheap.

And those that are bagging its output have not taken into consideration how diesel power is delivered. My guess is that all 420Nm of torque will be available near the 1000RPM.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
Agree it is a tad pricey but diesel engines aren't cheap.

And those that are bagging its output have not taken into consideration how diesel power is delivered. My guess is that all 420Nm of torque will be available near the 1000RPM.
Yep, the torque kick's in at 1200 rpm and stays all the way to 3200rpm. Most people that dont understand to relationship between torque and KW's will think that is it gutless.
Old 30-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #19
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What a terrible vehicle. It looks like it was designed to drive in the bush or something.

How am I supposed to cruise around the inner city in my "designer series" Crocodile Dundee outfit and travel to "The Outback" (an nice metro wine bar I frequent) or wander up and down the freeway blocking the fast lane so everyone can see how hot I look if it does not have a MP3 capable stereo or dual zone aircon or imported leather seats or colour keyed interior or dual cooled vodka cruiser holders with fake beer tin exteriors?

Obviously not a vehicle for the serious 4WD enthusiest market.......

: how very true, I don't think many BMW X3 drivers are going to be trading in any time soon.

It seems funny to me that people would whinge about leaf springs? They give you a better a load carrying capacity and off road ability (I mean thats what you want when you buy a work ute). It also has a massive 180 ltr fuel tank in the GLX. They are definatley going to sell a lot of these. (just not in the city thank god)
Old 30-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #20
BleedBlue

Hot rumour ATM is that the new Toyota 4WD are having alot of gearbox issues and the way to go is Nissan for reliable outback 4WDing as they use a truck gearbox which is apparently bulletproof. :
Life is a path, Death a destination
BleedBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #21
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue
Hot rumour ATM is that the new Toyota 4WD are having alot of gearbox issues and the way to go is Nissan for reliable outback 4WDing as they use a truck gearbox which is apparently bulletproof. :
Time will tell...... Seems like one of those nissan/toyota rival rumours.
Old 30-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #22
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

if ya dont like the lack of ABS, airbags, and all the rest of the flashy things, go buy a bloody prado
Old 30-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #23
Poetic Justice

Quote:

Nissans gearboxes might be good, but the power and torque you feel in them is pathetic! I've driven numerous 3ltr t/d Nissans and they are absolutely shocking in comparison to the Toyota alternatives.
Old 30-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

At least it doesn't have independant front on it. IFS just isn't suited to proper off-roading at all.

Although I have heard similar things about the current Toyota boxes as well ... a shame really ... they used to be really indestructible ... I guess time will tell though.

Keep any eye out for the 4WD magazine tests on these.

Looks like a decent package all-round for what the vehicle is intended for.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #25
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
At least it doesn't have independant front on it. IFS just isn't suited to proper off-roading at all.

Although I have heard similar things about the current Toyota boxes as well ... a shame really ... they used to be really indestructible ... I guess time will tell though.

Keep any eye out for the 4WD magazine tests on these.

Looks like a decent package all-round for what the vehicle is intended for.
Very tue, it is a very good all round package. The 100 series will now be seen as what it really is, a over sized prado, with soft road capabilities only. The bar has been raised quite substancially. Will be interested to see what Nissan and Land Rover do to compete.
Old 30-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #26
Ringo
I see you....

Wow there are some extremely hard to please and ignorant people on this thread.

Totoya have once again built and spec'd vehicles to the demand of their customers...and they know their customers pretty well. The amount of retail customers from these commercial vehicles is minimal, most of the sales with be with one of a number of fleet discounts applied, plus perhaps a bulk buy discount.

These style cruisers are big with rural people, rural business' and mines. As a fuss free, tough sturdy vehicle with no frills to bust or repair and half decent resale value the HZJ75/78 is the benchmark. Reliability and build quality is consistent and as such they get away with charging a premium for their product.

In rural area bloke don't give a toss between ford and holden, its more Toyota and Nissan.

As for having weak gearbox's I think this comment is also a little ignorant. BOTH Patrols and Cruisers risk having a 5th gear failure if you tow heavy loads at 100 kph or more. Neither product is immune from this. Neither is bulletproof - neither will put up with abuse. You should be in 4th gear where it is a 1:1 ratio instead of overdrive and the load is on the engine, not the gearbox. By the way they get very very hot before they go, the oil thins and you can smell it. Also the gearstick gets hot to the touch.

Patrols do have big gearbox's which weigh a hideous amount - 2 trolley jacks and 2 or 3 sets of hands to get them in and out.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
if ya dont like the lack of ABS, airbags, and all the rest of the flashy things, go buy a bloody prado

Than block up the freeways, etc as flappist said..
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #28
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We have blown 2 gear box's in 260,000 kms in one of our GU 4.2 TD Partol Utes.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #29
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
A bigger fuel tank a bull bar and some decent suspension, and I reckon that this will be one of the best 4X4's sold in Australia. Check out the torque on the V8 turbo diesel.
I say support Ford or Holden and buy their product!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #30
Poetic Justice

Ford and Holden don't supply a direct competitor to this vehicle if you haven't noticed...