Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
cobbadan

Default Bonnet opens at 100kmph -- what happens next ??

Driving along the Diagular highway just outside Wamuran yesterday (QLD)

I was about three cars behind a toxic BA/BF XR8 who's bonnet decided to open at 100kmph.

He managed to bring it to a stop on the shoulder without hitting anything or anyone so thumbs up to the driver if he's on here.

The bit that surprised me is that the bonnet/struts held strong and didn't end up resting on the roof.

How it happened is a bit of a mystery, I'd been behind them for atleast 15 - 20 mins so its not like they just pulled out of a servo or anything.

They are great cars but the build quality is crap
cobbadan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadan
Driving along the Diagular highway just outside Wamuran yesterday (QLD)

I was about three cars behind a toxic BA/BF XR8 who's bonnet decided to open at 100kmph.

He managed to bring it to a stop on the shoulder without hitting anything or anyone so thumbs up to the driver if he's on here.

The bit that surprised me is that the bonnet/struts held strong and didn't end up resting on the roof.

How it happened is a bit of a mystery, I'd been behind them for atleast 15 - 20 mins so its not like they just pulled out of a servo or anything.
Kudos to the driver Nice work in a tricky situation with a myriad of possibilities. Sounds like the abilities of an enthusiast.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

had it happen to me in a mini. 80km/h at night down a winding hill. managed to pull over no worries. there is a surprising amount of room under the bonnet, or head out window. unfortunately with mine the bonnet did hit the roof so it was cactus.

what happened was, i'd recently had the car in at a crashy getting a few things touched up. they'd decided to remove the bonnet and when they put it back on they didn't check the latch was working as it should. obviously it wasn't.

all got fixed free.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it happened to me as a young bloke at 100 kph while over takeing a car on the highway ....change of under wear anyone , stuck my head out the window and and slowed a little then pulled back in to the left, ahhh to be young again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Mate of mine had an ea wagon and he forgot he'd released but not opened the bonnet, at 100 the bonnet flipped right back and cracked the windscreen
Old 26-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

bonnet came up om my old XC once at about 40kmh . didn`t do much damage but convinced me to get bonnet locks and to make sure that the catch is always adjusted properly and lubed up.

overtaking a young guy in a beat up old corolla one day and his bonnet came up just as i was beside him. wraped right back over the roof. look on his face was pricless.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Off topic but a mate had a semi trailer blow a r/h/f tyre out as he passed it showering his car with bits of rubber and crud. Did a fair bit of damage too.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I had it happen to me once after I changed the oil in my old BA. I guess I didnt latch the bonnet properly. I was doing 100 at the time but you can see under the bonnet when it is open, so I just pulled over and shut it. No dramas, but it is a bit of a surprise when it happens.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
BLDNUT01

it is fun it happened to me aswell driving the parents XB futura interstate truck oncoming as the truck went past the wind blew the bonnet up had to look under the bonnet and slow down of to side of rd something you,ll never forget still scary all i could think of at the time was the bonnet going thru the windscreen
Old 26-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Thankfull
Banned

Have seen the consequences of that same incidence occur to a 1977 LTD Town car doing 100 kph back in 1977.

If you can... imagine a big cloud of dust with a car body rolling through it off to one side of the road.

They where all stoned ofcourse....no drug checks in those days...the era of the happy driverers...until the bonnet flew up that is...

Ripleys...Believe it or not.... section of this post now, out of the 4 occupants 3 walked away, the fourth got a broken left ankle.

Very lucky boys....
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #11
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Was driving our LH torana down home from our block and shed and just over took mum in her car when up came the bonnet. I just looked under the bonnet and drove the 200m home lol. Mind you it had no nose cone or front gaurds on it so bonnet couldnt latch down if i wanted it to. No damage so all was good.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post