Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
distortion

Default Neighbor parking

Hi all,

After a bit of advice! Is it illegal for someone to park in front of your driveway - even partially?

I'm having issues where the next door neighbors (one mum, and three teenage daughters) boyfriends x4 are parking in front of our driveway, or on the road in front of our property (no nature strip) in front of my car that is on my lawn.

This means I'm constantly having to ask them to move their cars, so I can leave my property (or my wife does).

After asking politely for 18 months, I'm thinking about taking further action to get someone to stop them parking on/across/in front of, our driveway at least.

Anyone else had a similar problem? My concern is, with 2 children under 3, if there was a medical emergency, the few minutes it would take for them to move their cars, could cause serious issues! Not only that, when I'm not home, the boyfriends are meat heads who are very intimidating for my wife... Asking them to move their utes etc for her is not worth the fear.

I'm not sure whether it's a council or police matter?

distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Neighbor parking

If QLD it is Police. They will issue a ticket.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If QLD it is Police. They will issue a ticket.
Same in NSW. Was told this by the police when we came home one night to find a car nicely parked in our driveway right up to our garage door... He decided parking on the street away from the people he was visiting in the next unit block was too much effort.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Now this is what people should get their cars crushed for. Just completely & utterly inconsiderate, given how blatantly obvious it is. Plus, as it was pointed out, how dangerous it can be in an emergency situation.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
distortion

Victoria here - not sure the police will care unless the stationary car is speeding? j'k
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Same in NSW. Was told this by the police when we came home one night to find a car nicely parked in our driveway right up to our garage door... He decided parking on the street away from the people he was visiting in the next unit block was too much effort.
should have put it up on bricks, note the look on his face

to the op the police will issue a ticket.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Just position your car in such a way to park them in one night and go to bed.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD road rules state:
Quote:
(2) A driver must not stop on or across a driveway or other way of
access for vehicles travelling to or from adjacent land
unless—
(a) the driver—
(i) is dropping off or picking up passengers; and
(ii) does not leave the vehicle unattended; and
(iii) completes the dropping off or picking up of the
passengers, and drives on, as soon as practicable
and, in any case, within 2 minutes after stopping;
I cant find the distance (unless its been removed) but I always though you needed to be 1m away from the edge of a formed driveway when parking.

I would be taking photos everytime they park there and block (even if partially). Had the same issue with the "houso" next door who did it on purpose regularly.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
distortion

Thanks all - wasn't sure whether it was just me getting annoyed over a small matter... I try to be fair and reasonable with neighbors - I actually have tried very hard to get along with them! I'm not sure what I've done wrong but oh well. Regardless, hopefully the council or police will sort them out and things will calm down
Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortion
Hi all,

After a bit of advice! Is it illegal for someone to park in front of your driveway - even partially?

I'm having issues where the next door neighbors (one mum, and three teenage daughters) boyfriends x4 are parking in front of our driveway, or on the road in front of our property (no nature strip) in front of my car that is on my lawn.

This means I'm constantly having to ask them to move their cars, so I can leave my property (or my wife does).

After asking politely for 18 months, I'm thinking about taking further action to get someone to stop them parking on/across/in front of, our driveway at least.

Anyone else had a similar problem? My concern is, with 2 children under 3, if there was a medical emergency, the few minutes it would take for them to move their cars, could cause serious issues! Not only that, when I'm not home, the boyfriends are meat heads who are very intimidating for my wife... Asking them to move their utes etc for her is not worth the fear.

I'm not sure whether it's a council or police matter?
Locally here in Qld it's police , so have you written to them requesting they keep it clear ?
Asking doesn't work at all (experience) we wrote and were ignored so I borrowed a flat bed and moved the car , never happened again but I suggest you visit your local Sargent and procede from there
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
Then wake up to find your car vandalized.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the wifes car got broken into one night so parked the work van across my driveway the next 8pm. got up in the mornin 4am and had a parking fine on the wiper. must be an parkin inspector in the street as not on main road that thought he would put in some overtime.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in a semi rural area and we get lots of pythons and other snakes around the house. I usually grab the pythons and take them down the road to a forest and toss them in there.
A few weeks ago a car was parked obstructing my driveway and just by chance I'd caught a python half an hour before and put him in a bag to take him to the forest later.
The driver of the obstructing car had left the windows partially open to let heat out, so knowing pythons like a hot place to have a doze I let him slide in.
Caused quite a commotion when the driver returned a couple of hours later.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its now a council law in some parts of brissie,even parking on footpath, obstructing the walkway of pedestrians is a fineable offence
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if it would be illegal to put a spike strip down at the front of your driveway.

But parking in front of a drive way is illegal. Most states it is council, but as some said it can be police.

If a car is parked call the council get advice, and try get them down to arrange the car to be towed.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give them an inch & they will take a mile (old saying but sadly very true) oh yeh & for all you young people 1"= 2.5cm 1 mile = 1.6klm lol
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
Miss_XR6

In NSW yes
Ring the police or even your local council which can issue them fines as well or have the cars towed
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
AU Mont
Banned

my advice would be to swallow alot of pride, and write a light hearted letter to them

im going through somewhat related rubbish with my neighbour who is not very approachable to say the least. ive had alot of sleepless nights because my brain was working overtime thinking of different ways to dispose of the corpse....

only kidding, well sort of.

anyway wrote a letter which might seem stupid because they are next door, but this has resulted in the problem being removed, and i sent another letter saying thanks blah blah

the outcome is certainly looking better than if i had jumped the gun and did something that wouldve gave them the excuse to keep the ******** going.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem.

I asked them, they moved it after carring on like it was a big inconvenience to them.
Wrote them a letter another time when I tried to ask a second time & they wouldnt answer the door.
So I then I used my two cars at the time to park them in so I gave them a bit of their own back & hope they would get the hint.
That still didnt work so I was on the brink of making some no stopping signs at work & getting a cop mate to book them. When I asked him if he would do it He told me that it was illegal in NSW to park within 1m of a driveway.
He fined them $85 & after put a report into the other police to do a driveby if they were in the area & make sure that they werent doing it again.
Never had a problem again after.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
AU Mont
Banned

all peaches & cream if you have a good mate at the local police station, but for every other mere mortal trying to get basic council & government regulations enforced for our own benefit is almost impossible

it took me a heap of emails, phonecalls, and visits to my local govenrment dep to get them to enforce a simple road/traffic breach which would have put an end to my neighbour's crap. About 3 months later they finally got off there **** and took action.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are not even allowed to park over your own driveway (well in Tasmania)
however you are allowed to block your driveway on your own property
but on council/ government land, you can not block a driveway or footpath
Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
We get on quite well with the neighbour. When they have visitors they will generally park in the driveway and the neighbour sits out on the balcony while puffing away watching over the parking area (we live in a unit block). When he sees us he instructs the visitor to move the car. We pretty much only go home to sleep and eat on the odd occasion, so we are not all that fussed.

Last time, we got home at 10ish and the usual Corolla was there. 2 beeps on the horn and no-one came out so we parked them in. I was expecting them to knock on the door to ask me to move the car, at which time I was going to 'request' that they no longer park there. Instead, I look down after about an hr only to watch the mongrel reversing back and forth 3 inches at a time to inch the car out..... I blasted the guy.

They haven't parked there since.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
should have put it up on bricks, note the look on his face
Ah yes.... the closet warrior in me wanted to do all sorts of stuff to 'teach them a lesson'... cept, when the 3 gym junkies returned to the car the outcome of the argument didn't look like it would end too well for me. I was told, in no uncertian terms that a "jihad" would be declared on me and my family.... (Or.. perhaps I 'mis-understood / mis-interpreted' what they were saying - as is often the case, isn't it?)...

Anyway, I didn't back down, even though it got nose to nose at one stage and they haven't parked in my spot again either (even though they visit the next unit block on a weekly basis). What have I got on them? A number plate and rough description. No point trying to start a war over a parking spot at your own place, even though you are 'in the right'...

Meh to them anyway...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I wonder if it would be illegal to put a spike strip down at the front of your driveway.
Yes it is. Shame though if some rascally neighbourhood hoodlums put a couple of thick four inch nails in front or behind all four tyres of the offending car jammed up against the treads at 2am...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #24
Torment47
Mr Hoon

It's common sense really, the thought of me parking my car across someone's driveway or even partially... the only thing that would be going through my head is "they're going to do somthing to my car in anger"
mind you... 2 of my neighbours (all own toyota camry's and there family's who visit own camry's) always park there car half way/quarter of the way between 1 driveway and another, so when i come home from work, i can't park on the street outside my place because the nit-wits parked so only there car can park there..... and they do the same on the opposite side of the road... me and my housemate were going to talk to them but they don;t speak english??!
wat to do???
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been issued a ticket for parking across MY OWN driveway before, so I assume so
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Yes it is. Shame though if some rascally neighbourhood hoodlums put a couple of thick four inch nails in front or behind all four tyres of the offending car jammed up against the treads at 2am...

Oh yes I forgot about those rascally neighborhood kids.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment47
It's common sense really, the thought of me parking my car across someone's driveway or even partially... the only thing that would be going through my head is "they're going to do somthing to my car in anger"
mind you... 2 of my neighbours (all own toyota camry's and there family's who visit own camry's) always park there car half way/quarter of the way between 1 driveway and another, so when i come home from work, i can't park on the street outside my place because the nit-wits parked so only there car can park there..... and they do the same on the opposite side of the road... me and my housemate were going to talk to them but they don;t speak english??!
wat to do???

Go up to them, sternly looking at them, pointing at their car and going "No."
Or, alternatively, try talking to them in some way shape or form, and if all else fails, provide them with pictures with big green ticks and crosses on them.
I've done it before (the pictures), as politically incorrect it seems, a lot of people with difficulties in English appreciate being helped out like that, and appreciate the effort you've put into it. You might even get a free casserole out of it (yeah, I'm not kidding on that one )
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #28
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
Go up to them, sternly looking at them, pointing at their car and going "No."
Or, alternatively, try talking to them in some way shape or form, and if all else fails, provide them with pictures with big green ticks and crosses on them.
I've done it before (the pictures), as politically incorrect it seems, a lot of people with difficulties in English appreciate being helped out like that, and appreciate the effort you've put into it. You might even get a free casserole out of it (yeah, I'm not kidding on that one )
I hear ya, though 1 time someone left there window down and it ****ed down with rain and i saw the same neighbour and i asked him and his mate " Is that your car??" the dude looked at me and gave me the "p!ss of gesture" i kid you not, i mean i tried right?
haha then a week later i parked on his side of the street as there were no other spots and the next day i had no p plates on my car and my windscreen wipers got tampered with :S :S
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #29
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I'd just report them. If they're tampering with yer car.

Or just wear the nastiest pair of new rocks you own next time you say something to them. OR (I love that word today), do it with a MASSIVE smile on your face, and be obnoxiously nice....
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

In WA it's usually a breach of council bylaws and your council ranger will ticket them on request.

I used to live opposite a church (United) and many members of its congregation though it was fine to park on my lawn and in my driveway for Sunday services. It was before the days of water restrictions so I just used to turn on the brown bore water based reticulation just before and after services but despite wet Sunday bests and stained duco many never got the message. Then one day I had to rush the extremely ill good wife to hospital and the drive was blocked so I barged into the middle of their morning services and let loose with few expletives explaining what I though of their selfish attitude. The rector said he would offer some prayers of forgiveness for their mad Catholic neighbour (me) but I hardly ever had any further issues. Apparently the risk of me rudely interrupting their Sunday service was an extremely effective deterrent.