Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
J_Putz

Default where to start looking to buy a pet dog?

If I want to buy a quality pure breed dog where do I start looking?
A pet shop has their reputation to maintain so that's one reason to buy from a pet shop.
Or would it be best to join a club and enquire through them?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

J_Putz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
J.Molloy
Territorial

Default Re: where to start looking to buy a pet dog?

Depending on what sort of dog your after, check the papers sometimes registered breeders advertise in there.
otherwise look up aus breeders of the dog your after and give them a call, they will be able to let you know when they have a litter or perhaps pass on some numbers of other breeders.
I got my purebred black Labrador out the paper, looked up his sides history and breeding name to get an idea of heritage.
Hope this helps mate

Jake
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Sorry to say but I'm a believer that petshops are bad bad news. Most dogs end up coming from puppies farms where they're in terrible conditions and made to breed all the time just so the breeder can make a 'quick buck' they also usually suffer from many health problems later in life.

Best way to get a dog is to look at a rescue shelter. There are sooo many animals that need homes and a shelter is another way to give them a second chance. All my dogs that I've had in my adult life have been rescues.
You can get pure breeds as well as cross breeds but that's a good place to start.
http://www.petrescue.com.au is a great site to have a look at. There are many dogs on there from rescue groups all over the country and some will even transport interstate.
If you're on the Gold Coast, the Animal Welfare League at Coombabah has a site for their animals as well.
http://www.awlqld.com.au/awlq-adoption/

Just thought I'd put that out there.
Good luck with your search.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree
but if you're not after a "purebred" and depending on your needs, find a shelter.
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon
Sorry to say but I'm a believer that petshops are bad bad news. Most dogs end up coming from puppies farms where they're in terrible conditions and made to breed all the time just so the breeder can make a 'quick buck' they also usually suffer from many health problems later in life.

Best way to get a dog is to look at a rescue shelter. There are sooo many animals that need homes and a shelter is another way to give them a second chance. All my dogs that I've had in my adult life have been rescues.
You can get pure breeds as well as cross breeds but that's a good place to start.
http://www.petrescue.com.au is a great site to have a look at. There are many dogs on there from rescue groups all over the country and some will even transport interstate.
If you're on the Gold Coast, the Animal Welfare League at Coombabah has a site for their animals as well.
http://www.awlqld.com.au/awlq-adoption/

Just thought I'd put that out there.
Good luck with your search.
I agree, pet shops have their reps to think about but making the sale tops quality and health of the dog in a lot of cases. I'm sure there are legit pet shops though. But a lot of times pet shop puppies come from puppy mills (puppy farms) and when these puppy mills are discovered, investigated and shut down the living conditions of these dogs are horrendous and unimaginable. The life of a puppy mill breeding dog is sad and tears my heart. Even after they're rescued from the mills not all are "adoptable" because of their deteriorated health. How sad.

A reputable breeder from a dog association or club, a referral from a vet or dog training school, or a rescue dog would be your best bet imo. Look into the breed so you know what their needs are. Then, have fun with your new buddy!
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Putz
A pet shop has their reputation to maintain so that's one reason to buy from a pet shop.
Best way to buy pegigree is once the breed is decided is check the show and obedience clubs online , attend a few shows and make enquiries , maybe the papers just incase some are listed and be patient , remember if the animal isn't registered with your state dog association and doesn't have registration papers it is NOT pedigree and the price should reflect this . In Qld it's http://www.cccq.org.au/
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/
Is a good place to find exactly what your looking for
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
agree
but if you're not after a "purebred" and depending on your needs, find a shelter.
Agree.
At this time of the year, it's sad to say there will be a few unwanted presents there.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pet rescue or the RSPCA.... too many dogs which have been abandonned by their owners.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Kil4Collingwood

Never ever buy from a pet shop, a search online will find a breeder for you
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Your best bet is to visit some of your local veterinarians.
They will know, after all... Where do breeders need to take their animals for immunization, chipping, ect.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

What breed are you after? I have a purebred female english staffy that will have a litter winter, the father is a pedigree english staffy with papers. If your intrested let me know
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't know where you are, but our local westfield has a RSPCA pet shop in it
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I agree with the notion of checking the lost dogs home, RSPCA or other rescue agencies. They often have pedigree dogs come up and if having papers and showing them is not important to you then this is the way to get the dog you want and give the poor pooch a second chance at getting the loving family it deserves.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

cats are my thing, but the last three have come from shelters. Before you get accustomed to the idea of wanting something perfect, take the time to think how many innocent animals are dumped by heartless ***** and need a home.

this list was about 6 times this size just a few weeks ago, sickening.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I understand there are animals in shelters that need good homes but for me, my next family member will be another British Bulldog and he/she will come from a reputable breeder.

If you are after a purebreed dog, I would only go through a reputable breeder. I keep saying reputable as there are some shonksters out there who don't do the right thing.

So definitely check out a website for Breeders of the dog you are after, really do your research and then have a chat to them. Go to dog shows if you can and check out how they handle their dogs. They should be able to show you the family line of the dog you are buying and answer any questions you may have about the breed.

The thing with pets...any pets is, they are a commitment...sometimes for as long as 15+yrs and they rely on you for everything. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Sadly that is why there are so many pets in shelters.

Best of luck and keep us updated with what you decide.

Cheers
Col
Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Breeders aren't far from being puppy farms. The adult dog gives birth and next time they're in season, they're mated again. Doesn't take long to screw up the adult dog.

The majority of pet shops do have vets come in and vet check their pups before they go on sale. The same applies to breeders. IMA, it's the luck of the draw whether a dog has problems in it's adult life or not. Not because of where it was conceived.

Personally I'd be keeping my eye on the paper, or visiting animal welfare league/rspca or friends.

I recently had to put my staffy down after 13 years of having him. He ended up with cancer....was going blind and deaf, so it was the most humane thing to do, as much as it hurt me. I got him for free from a friend.

Now I have 2 chowa (spelling I know) x's. Mother and daughter. Again, got the mother free from a friend. So don't discount that angle.

Good luck with the search.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I understand there are animals in shelters that need good homes but for me, my next family member will be another British Bulldog and he/she will come from a reputable breeder.

If you are after a purebreed dog, I would only go through a reputable breeder. I keep saying reputable as there are some shonksters out there who don't do the right thing.

So definitely check out a website for Breeders of the dog you are after, really do your research and then have a chat to them. Go to dog shows if you can and check out how they handle their dogs. They should be able to show you the family line of the dog you are buying and answer any questions you may have about the breed.

The thing with pets...any pets is, they are a commitment...sometimes for as long as 15+yrs and they rely on you for everything. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Sadly that is why there are so many pets in shelters.

Best of luck and keep us updated with what you decide.

Cheers
Col
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
They will know, after all... Where do breeders need to take their animals for immunization, chipping, ect.
Best replies so far. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

come and take mine i'll hand ball it to you!!
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
anolade
trigger happy

contact registed dog clubs they will have all the information for you and more then likely directly provide contact numbers or email of club members that have pups or will see a little in near future
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Best replies so far. Thanks for your input.
No Probs.

I actually used to work next door to a Vet Hospital.
You'd regularly have breeders coming into to our shops too with their dogs and cats. Was interesting to see all the different breeder coming through... Clogging up our car park, LOL

One of our regular customers was the owner CHUM Dog, he brought the dog in all the time. Poor fella(Dog) was getting old last I saw him a few years ago. Apparently that dog was the second one of that blood line he's used for Chum.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #22
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Breeders actually do relocations as well. Our's houses Schnauzers that familys have decided that was not for them.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon

Absolutely positively agree with you, my GSD is a rescue and he is the best dog I could have ever asked for. Would not hesitate to have a rescue dog again.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #24
Matty4
Banana

Whilst I also agree with getting a dog from a shelter, RSPCA etc., just be advised, we got our last dog from the VAAT (Victorian Animal Aid Trust) and whilst they vaccinate, microchip and give them the once over, they don't cover everything.

We've had him 5 years now and in the space of the first 2 years of ownership we spent close enough to $10K on 2 hip replacements due to displasia and front knee surgery for arthritis!!!....

At least with reputable breeders you will have the assurance that displasia will be bred out and "shouldn't" be an issue.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
J_Putz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Whilst I also agree with getting a dog from a shelter, RSPCA etc., just be advised, we got our last dog from the VAAT (Victorian Animal Aid Trust) and whilst they vaccinate, microchip and give them the once over, they don't cover everything.

We've had him 5 years now and in the space of the first 2 years of ownership we spent close enough to $10K on 2 hip replacements due to displasia and front knee surgery for arthritis!!!....

At least with reputable breeders you will have the assurance that displasia will be bred out and "shouldn't" be an issue.
Another good post.
All the people saying I shouldn't be considering anything other than a dog from a shelter are being extremely naive.
Either that or they have money trees growing in the back yards.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

For a purebred dog, start here http://www.ankc.org.au/

Find the state club. Contact them and discuss your breed. Find out all the good and not so good aspects for that breed, temperament, suitability to your lifestyle and importantly genetic defects associated with the breed.

Then contact breeders and discuss these things with them. Good breeders spend a lot of time to minimise the chances of their dog being affected.

Discuss with your local vet and get their recommendations. Google the breed and breeder.

Finally, when you are ready to choose your dog, go buy a Border Collie.

good luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4

These sorts of issues are to do with the breed of the dog, so it's virtually impossible to "breed" it out of the dog.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Compare the pedigree dog to the low mileage genuine GT.

Where would you buy the latter?

Club member?
Dealer?
Privately?

The answer is that most sales happen through your contacts your contacts with the first.

Pound is the next best answer.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
Miss_XR6

If you want good quality and what not buy from a registered breeder...
You can get details of registered breeders from the local clubs of that said breed...
Ive once been a breeder of Amstaffs and will only ever buy from pedigree breeders with paper...

If you want a dog for a bit of fun and for company than the cheaper dog shop like pets paradise might be the answer for you.
Where ever you do choose to buy ask questions especially about both the parents and any problems the parents might have...
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC

Knowing a vet, she says most breeders out there treat the animals horribly. To them it is just another money maker and they have no real care for the animals. If they get into fights and are injured, they often just dump them at the vet and never return. There should be a licensing system to be a breeder, and a similar license to actually own an animal.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post