Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Why Manual Ferrari's Are Gone For Good

Quote:

Why you won't see another manual Ferrari

Italian car maker has a simple reason behind its automatic-only line-up.

Sam Charlwood
September 17, 2015

Auto only: Ferrari will not offer a manual version of its new 488 Spider. Photo: Supplied.

Ferrari has emphatically ruled out offering a manual gearbox in its next generation of vehicles, for one simple reason: performance.

Speaking at the Frankfurt motor show this week, stakeholders at Ferrari said the manual transmission had become obsolete in a performance sense because modern dual-clutch transmissions were much faster and effective in their shifts.

"We never say no, but today we say no," a spokesman said.

"We are very convinced with our strategy about the automatic gearbox, it's the fastest gearbox in the market and this is a distinctive component for us. Right now we are not thinking about a manual because the performance is [less]."

Ferrari last offered a manual gearbox in 2012 as an option on the California. Only three customers took up the three-pedal proposition.

"I think the best answer is the client answer. The client answer to the California was very limited," the spokesman said.

The company's newly-unveiled 488 Spider will not be a proponent of the manual cause, Ferrari confirmed to journalists, and its seven-speed dual clutch transmission perfectly demonstrates why: teamed with a new 3.9-litre twin-turbo V8 engine also found in the new 488 GTB coupe, it facilitates an official 0-100km/h time of just 3.0 seconds, a top speed of more than 330km/h and a claimed fuel consumption rating of 11.4L/100km.

While current Ferrari customer feedback reflects little demand for manuals, the gearboxes remain highly sought-after in second-hand circles due to their rarity. Earlier this month an exceptionally rare Ferrari 599 GTB with a six-speed manual sold well above pre-auction estimates, at about $950,000 (AUD).

However, Ferrari said those such buyers were a completely different demographic to prospective new car customers.

"It's another story," the spokesman said.

"Those people aren't looking for something special, they are just looking for something very few cars in the world have. It's not economical to have a special version."

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/w...16-gjoft8.html
Old 17-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Why Manual Ferrari's Are Gone For Good

Those 3 manual California's will be worth something one day.
6 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
snowcone

Maybe it's because the woosie millionaire buyers of these can't drive manuals!
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
Old 17-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

oh well, that's my custom they've lost then.
Old 17-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Raced a porsche 991 GT3 in the states, The revised PDK dual clutch transmission was literally outstanding ultra smooth and fast.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manuals aren't their problem anymore. A lot of 458 owners aren't putting their names down for the 488 due to the new engine note of the turbo Ferrari.
Old 17-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
Manuals aren't their problem anymore. A lot of 458 owners aren't putting their names down for the 488 due to the new engine note of the turbo Ferrari.
So true 488 sounds terrible. 458 looks better and sounds 100000x better.

This exhaust just wicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWhWD_YK3IQ

Last edited by 99AUXR; 17-09-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 17-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooo, oo, let me guess...

Is it because the staggeringly vast majority of them are bought by wealthy elderly fat cats who will never get over 60kph while tootling down to the coffee shop for a latte on a sunday morning and who can barely turn the steering wheel against their guts while a vapid peroxide blonde pneumatic chested 20 year old giggles in the passenger seat while her three functioning brain cells try to talk to one another...?

Am I close...?

Last edited by 2011G6E; 17-09-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 17-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #9
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let's be honest it's because of the americans....

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
AussieCJ7

As much as I love my manual XR8, if it was offered with a proper dual clutch 7 or 8 speed auto I would have been tempted the 6 speed ZF is a nice auto but not a shade on modern dual clutch options

having been a in a couple of audi/VW dual clutch can certainly see the attraction in them and lead to consistent launch for faster times
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
As much as I love my manual XR8, if it was offered with a proper dual clutch 7 or 8 speed auto I would have been tempted the 6 speed ZF is a nice auto but not a shade on modern dual clutch options

having been a in a couple of audi/VW dual clutch can certainly see the attraction in them and lead to consistent launch for faster times
And yet some makers are going back to single clutch setups because they provide better feel and lighter weight...

Everything old is new again.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Ooo, oo, let me guess...

Is it because the staggeringly vast majority of them are bought by wealthy elderly fat cats who will never get over 60kph while tootling down to the coffee shop for a latte on a sunday morning and who can barely turn the steering wheel against their guts while a vapid peroxide blonde pneumatic chested 20 year old giggles in the passenger seat while her three functioning brain cells try to talk to one another...?

Am I close...?

I have to say, when I bought my 1st BF F6 I went straight for a manual on the test drive but it was clunky and awkward. The salesman noted my negative comments and coerced me into taking a ZF equipped one for a spin. I was an instant conversion for me.
Old 17-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Ooo, oo, let me guess...

Am I close...?
I don’t know about if I want the dual-clutch transmission but you’ve definitely sold me on the ‘vapid peroxide blonde pneumatic chested 20 year old giggling in the passenger seat’.

Sign me up for one.
5 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder what the reliability of the ferrari dual clutch box is , even if it was pretty average , anyone that could fork out for a fezaz probably would not be worrying about maintenance cost or repairs, they probably are rarely used as dailys /do bugger all k`s anyway .
Old 18-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sleeper View Post
Let's be honest it's because of the americans....
Chinese actually.

Manual performance cars in the US still have a market.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 18-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I don’t know about if I want the dual-clutch transmission but you’ve definitely sold me on the ‘vapid peroxide blonde pneumatic chested 20 year old giggling in the passenger seat’.

Sign me up for one.
Dont do it man its a trap!
Old 18-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW screwed up one their DSGs and now every DSG from any manufacturer is unreliable.

Maybe we should all not buy cars with ball joints as they are all prone to failure like on a Territory
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i wonder what the reliability of the ferrari dual clutch box is , even if it was pretty average , anyone that could fork out for a fezaz probably would not be worrying about maintenance cost or repairs, they probably are rarely used as dailys /do bugger all k`s anyway .
Ferrari have a long history using automised manuals so I wouldn't be too concerned, beyond any regular DCT issues.
Old 18-09-2015, 10:17 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
VW screwed up one their DSGs and now every DSG from any manufacturer is unreliable.

Maybe we should all not buy cars with ball joints as they are all prone to failure like on a Territory
Well a ball joint is a pretty simple item , and in most cases not a problem unless its has a poor design , and mine are rocking 15 years old and not a problem so im not worried about that ,

however dsg are more complex bit of gear, and as you know with complexity very often comes more chance of failure or problems and higher maintenance.
Old 18-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Dont do it man its a trap!
And when you marry them the trap slams shut.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
And when you marry them the trap slams shut.
Umm...I don't think that's the sort of "trap" he was talking about...
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #22
Trump
bitch lasagne

The problem with DSG gearbox applications isn't just the stigma associated with the colossal failures of the VW unit. Even a well built one will wear and need replacing at some point. At this point, a reco isn't possible because no one carries spare parts for them. They were designed as a throwaway item when it crapped out. If a transmission shop went to the trouble of buying several complete DSG boxes for the purpose of dismantling them for parts, the labour would be too cost prohibitive (both the disassembly and remanufacture of the customers box).

Ferrari in choosing not to have a traditional manual boxes won't lose customers over it. They spend bulk coin in knowing their market better than they know themselves. And when the market is fat, well to do Caucasian males in the latter halves of their lives (and increasingly their equally fat Chinese counterparts), they know they are onto a winner.
Old 18-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #23
Sioso
irregular member

My dream car has always been an NA flat 6 911 with a manual box and these won't exist after March 2016.........very sad.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #24
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Maybe I'm old school and a little bit slow, but it's not about the outright acceleration figures I'm after.

To me, it's about the timing and synchronicity between hand, leg, foot, sound, mind and machine that appeals to me about a manual gearbox. They may not be the fastest anymore, but they still sound the best compared to an artificially changed box.
8 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not like you're gonna knock back a super car because it doesn't have a manual option (the sales prove it in Ferrari's case) but for cars which are in the average persons price range, I'd never go the auto if I can get a manual.

I don't think it will be very long before manuals are gone completely unfortunately.
Old 18-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #26
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Thumbs down Re: Why Manual Ferrari's Are Gone For Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

I don't think it will be very long before manuals are gone completely unfortunately.
Unfortunately, I think the same.
Old 18-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #27
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I wouldn't turn down a 911 GT3 RS even with the PDK. Performance is the point of the car, going around a track as fast as possible.
It'd be a bonus if it were manual.
Old 18-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #28
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manuals are outdated, it is simple. Times have changed. Autos are now far superior and no longer are the days when 4 on the floor was king. Can't wait to **** off my manual Ute for FG turbo falcon with a ZF auto. After driving modern autos, i will personally never buy another manual car.
Old 18-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #29
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

^^^ Why not??? ^^^
Old 18-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #30
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dual clutch automated shift gearboxes are very different beasts to torque converter transmissions . DSG is basically a manual box that eliminates driver from operating the clutch(es) . You still retain the manual gearbox feel and efficiency of direct mechanical connection between engine and driven wheels.
Torque converter transmissions are ( despite some really great ones nowadays) still a bit "doughy" in delivery . Ferrari ,Porsche and other manufacturers still maintain that manual feel with superfast shifts . I would class those as automated manual gearboxes rather than automatics.
Closed Thread