Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
620hp_gt

Default Land Speed Records,(DLRA) SA.

Anyone building cars or entering old cars in this years Land speed record attemps, in March.

This is something that would be good to get into for something different.

ONLY catch, you need and a VERY strong engine. It is extreme conditions.

The Moe racing coupe, always a crowd pleaser, as well as the lads that travel from Vic, in their RED EL.

All trying to crack the 200mph. not that easy.

My mate went 191mph in his VL, 650hp 5lt.(spent thousands with not much improvement).

Would love to put my 620hp engine with a 5-6 speed\2.75:1 in a Mulberry XBGT Replica that i have, to see how that would go. But starting to run out of time.

Need some good sponsers like FTG and AFF.LOL.

620hp_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
620hp_gt

bump.
Old 15-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

I have read a bit about DLR and I said a few years ago it is one place I want to go to before I am to old to enjoy it ..So better be in the next few years...
Them guys in the red EL even busted a tko5sp 5th gear broke at 188MPH and it still had more in it.. Then changed boxs to there spare and tryed it again and lucked out at just under 200MPH.(iirc)
It would be good to be known in the 200MPH club .. not a lot of people are there.
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
620hp_gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
I have read a bit about DLR and I said a few years ago it is one place I want to go to before I am to old to enjoy it ..So better be in the next few years...
Them guys in the red EL even busted a tko5sp 5th gear broke at 188MPH and it still had more in it.. Then changed boxs to there spare and tryed it again and lucked out at just under 200MPH.(iirc)
It would be good to be known in the 200MPH club .. not a lot of people are there.
Yeah I was at their camp last year, top lads.

They knew me from when i raced at Heathcotte.They were racing a cortina their at the time, nice car, back the front scoop.

Party ever night up at the "Club Animal", (jock boy-Animal runs the show, after dark)..Large decked out Bus, powered by a cleveland.

Looked like it wasn't in gear properly before the cutch dumped,,,,,MY OPION ONLY!!! Thats why the gearbox died.
Old 15-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
all4ford
XW 351

My father is taking his ZX 14 Kawasaki there this year, hoping to run 200+ MPH.

I've never been but he's showed me footage of over there and there's a DVD called "the big white dyno" which shows just how tough it is to run these sort of speeds.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
bartaxr8

I go every year and have to say that it is the best event of the year that I go to. I go with one of my dads mates from Castlemaine. Although the car is fairly high matainence, we all have a fun time, which is the most important thing.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
620hp_gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford

I've never been but he's showed me footage of over there and there's a DVD called "the big white dyno" which shows just how tough it is to run these sort of speeds.
MORE and MORE Bikes ever year,, Some people say the bikes should be one week and the cars the next..

There was a Fully worked Hyibusa, with a turbo..I think it went around 300+mph, they were riding it around like a scooter. Came from USA just for the races.
Old 16-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 200 mph barrier

Its amazing that here we are still trying to get into the 200 mph. I know there are those very few that do get their machines over that but on a whole, old bert from NZ with his indian. It amazes me is all. I know where there is a boss 290 being done up with a spend of about $40,000 to get to the 200+mph barrier. Don't rightly know if it will be there this time round, hope so.
Old 16-01-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620hp_gt
MORE and MORE Bikes ever year,, Some people say the bikes should be one week and the cars the next..
They may need to turn this into a two week thing, as dad said as well, there is a lot of bikes going, a lot of small bikes as well like <250.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 620hp_gt
There was a Fully worked Hyibusa, with a turbo..I think it went around 300+mph, they were riding it around like a scooter. Came from USA just for the races.
Yeah I think I saw that one. There is suppose to be a lot of press there this year, as a few big boys are coming across from the states again, and as the sport is growing in popularity.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #10
Sledgehammer
Banned

200 MPH at the lake is not as easy as everyone thinks it is.

620HP, its on my agenda once the car is finished as its something that Ive always wanted to compete in (being an ex-castlemaine guy), now the engines done just the cage and diff and box and and and.....wont be this year, mabey next year.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
Sledgehammer
Banned

We should start a Salt Lake Racing section in the Motorsport section here?
Old 16-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #12
620hp_gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
We should start a Salt Lake Racing section in the Motorsport section here?
Maybe, it gets bigger every year.

Was a quite event, for a lot of years.

These days, the lake is hired for alot of TV commicals as well.

You just don't know, it could be all over, if the greenies had their way and cars keep blowing up like last year.

Amazing, the dollars involed.

Some better setups than you see at the drags.

Dry sumps, twin dominators, Mega Horsepower set-ups.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
200 MPH at the lake is not as easy as everyone thinks it is.
It took me a while to get this. But I've seen tough as blown cars pulling a whopping 120MPH. Its very hard out there and many cars engines just cannot stand up to the punishment.

I think everyone goes there thinking they're going to eclipse records but it just doesnt happen that easy.

As I've said with my dad he is hoping to run over 200MPH on his bike, but even that which is meant to do it from the factory has only ever run over 200MPH once in the world, albeit at an air strip as well.
Old 16-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

what makes it so tough out there? My dads stock standard falcon can do 180kmh so why can real tough cars only do 192kmh
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
what makes it so tough out there? My dads stock standard falcon can do 180kmh so why can real tough cars only do 192kmh

Restistance increases by squared factor. We are also talking 200MPH which is 320Kmh (or thereabouts), I believe their are only a dozen of Aussie cars that have run over 200 MPH in Australia at Lake Gardiner.
Old 16-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

yeah aero would be an issue, hence why I dont like your chances in a XB...LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
Sledgehammer
Banned

Just means you need more power.
Old 16-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
I dont really understand it either. Everyone I ask, says you have to experience it to see what its like.
Old 16-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
620hp_gt

Quote:
At The Salt, They talk in MILES PER HOUR, mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1kph=1.6mph
Old 16-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

200 mph is 321.9 klm. A v8 super car gets to just on 300 k's on conrod and some times not.

I would love to go to this salt lake landspeed event. Just to spectate of course.
Old 16-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #21
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford

Where would I get a copy of this dvd ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #22
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
A v8 super car gets to just on 300 k's on conrod and some times not.
And they could have higher speeds with free diff ratios. Don’t some of the salt lake racers run such high gearing that they need “pusher” trucks to get them moving?

I know of a guy who was getting a BOSS 290 ute together to run there, don’t know if it was ready for this year.

How is it run? Is it a getting up to speed section, a measured timing run section and then a braking section? Is this so that it doesn’t matter so much what the takeoffs are like? How do you go with tires? Wide enough for traction but narrow enough so as not to add to the rolling resistance? Do you have to do a return run within an hour so any effect of slope/wind resistance is minimized? Can the competitors time themselves (unofficially) with GPS?

You are meant to get the centre of aerodynamic pressure behind (or is that ahead?) the centre of gravity aren’t you? How do you calculate the centre of pressure? Is it just suck it and see? What makes a “sweet” handling car? Do you run a slight amount of toe in for stability or just run it at zero toe for less drag?

Didn’t Rod Hadfield run a Commodore-based car there one year?

I realize that it is specialized stuff and that you can’t just turn up in your road car first time and expect to post a record.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 16-01-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #23
Sledgehammer
Banned

Salt lake site is http://www.dlra.org.au/

I would be interested in meeting with Bris guys who would be interested in a group effort next year as well.

We have a couple of folk up here that are regulars as well, just not sure if they are Ford Boys.
Old 16-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #24
bartaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
And they could have higher speeds with free diff ratios. Don’t some of the salt lake racers run such high gearing that they need “pusher” trucks to get them moving?

I know of a guy who was getting a BOSS 290 ute together to run there, don’t know if it was ready for this year.

How is it run? Is it a getting up to speed section, a measured timing run section and then a braking section? Is this so that it doesn’t matter so much what the takeoffs are like? How do you go with tires? Wide enough for traction but narrow enough so as not to add to the rolling resistance? Do you have to do a return run within an hour so any effect of slope/wind resistance is minimized? Can the competitors time themselves (unofficially) with GPS?

You are meant to get the centre of aerodynamic pressure behind (or is that ahead?) the centre of gravity aren’t you? How do you calculate the centre of pressure? Is it just suck it and see? What makes a “sweet” handling car? Do you run a slight amount of toe in for stability or just run it at zero toe for less drag?

Didn’t Rod Hadfield run a Commodore-based car there one year?

I realize that it is specialized stuff and that you can’t just turn up in your road car first time and expect to post a record.
We push the car that I go with to 30-40 MPH before the driver takes off. On the short course, which you have to run 175 MPH on to become eligable for the long course, you get 2 miles to get to speed, you are timed over 3 miles and get 4 miles to slow down. It doesn't matter how long it takes to slow down as the lake is over 90 miles long, the 4 mile stopping area is graded though like the rest of the track. Once you are able to run on the long course you get an extra mile to get up to speed. One of the reasons cars and bikes don't go as quick on the salt as on the asphalt is that the salt, especially when damp, has more friction for the tires to overcome. Rod Hadfield has been running a VS Commodore at the salt for the last 5 years or so but last last year the engine blew up and there was an oil fire which made the Nitrous bottles explode which did alot of damage to the car.
bartaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #25
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Where would I get a copy of this dvd ?
http://www.dlra.org.au/detail.htm

Try calling Rob Carrol and he should be able to organise a copy for you.
Old 16-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #26
rodderz

I remember the wheels article when Mickey Taylor drove the APS XR6T at Avalon airfield, he got it up to 307km/hr and said at that speed the car was all over the track. He said to go faster they would have to improve the aero of the package to keep it stable
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #27
620hp_gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
200 mph is 321.9 klm. A v8 super car gets to just on 300 k's on conrod and some times not.

I would love to go to this salt lake landspeed event. Just to spectate of course.
DONT take the GT,, Hardcore outback. dirt roads..Hire car or 4x4.

But well worth a look.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #28
620hp_gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I remember the wheels article when Mickey Taylor drove the APS XR6T at Avalon airfield, he got it up to 307km/hr and said at that speed the car was all over the track. He said to go faster they would have to improve the aero of the package to keep it stable
One year an Black XWGT, Biante Models on the side, Blew the back window out, spraying 5mm peices of glass everywhere.. should have seen the team effort of people picking up the glass to get racing again.

I think that was around 190+mph. and just sucked it out.
Old 16-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #29
620hp_gt

Quote:
Salt lake site is http://www.dlra.org.au/
who would be interested in a group effort next year as well..
It is around 4hrs from my place, if a group come over, I'll show ya's the way and Help out at this end if required.
Old 16-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #30
620hp_gt

Sixty minutes went one year, here is a link.

http://ninemsn.video.msn.com/l.htm?m...ws_AU60minutes