Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How much for an early X-series wagon?

Sorry if I shouldn't be putting this in the Pub, but wasn't too sure where it should go.

I'm just wondering how much I should be looking to pay for a road worthy early X-series wagon that is relatively rust free. I'm looking mainly at XT/XR/XW's but would consider an XY. I'd also prefer with a V8/manual (clevo if possible) but a wheezer or six would do for now.
Could I get one for around 5-6k? I've seen rebuilt ones going for around 10,000 fairly often. I don't care about the interior very much as i'll be doing my own theme, as long as it runs well with fairly strong motor/gearbox, and has a relatively straight body with little rust.
There's a fairmont XW on the bay right now with 'little rust' for $1900 (discs up front, electric back window etc).
So what are my chances of finding something like i'm after?

Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think you will find one if you look around, id say 4-6g is what you will be looking at, something restored will be a bit more, although considering you dont want the interior you may get one cheaper then 4000.
you should also consider buying a restored one and selling the full interior (may get $2000 for that alone) and then do your own thing.
id say you will have more luck in the X-Series general disscusion...
and i believe there is a very nice bronze wine xy wagon for sale for $10000 (i think) in the sale section
XR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-351
i think you will find one if you look around, id say 4-6g is what you will be looking at, something restored will be a bit more, although considering you dont want the interior you may get one cheaper then 4000.
you should also consider buying a restored one and selling the full interior (may get $2000 for that alone) and then do your own thing.
id say you will have more luck in the X-Series general disscusion...
and i believe there is a very nice bronze wine xy wagon for sale for $10000 (i think) in the sale section
Cheers mate. Yeah i've seen that wagon on eBay as well (i think it's that anyway). Looks great but it's kinda outta my price range straight up, and i'd prefer one a little less in the restored phase so I can do my own thing with it as it seems a shame to take off nice paint and interior to re-do it etc (i'll be going old surf green and cream paint theme and interior). I'll be keeping almost all the original interior in there but doing custom work on it.. So more the condition doesn't matter (rips/tears etc).

As long as I can drive it whilst I work on the majority of it as well, i'll be happy.

Oh yeah, and if mods want this in X-series could they please move it
Old 18-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

... Wayy delayed double post.
Old 19-07-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, and if anyone knows of someone letting one go in VIC/NSW/SA that sounds what i'm after, please let me know. I'm willing to drive to pick it up if it's the right car.
I've made a wanted thread as well.

Cheers.
Old 19-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

As someone who has an unhealthy interest in wagons, I'd say you'd be looking at about five or six grand for a really nice one. Double it for a restored one.

Or you could do what I did and go a bit more modern and save yourself a few grand... mine cost me $600.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
As someone who has an unhealthy interest in wagons, I'd say you'd be looking at about five or six grand for a really nice one. Double it for a restored one.

Or you could do what I did and go a bit more modern and save yourself a few grand... mine cost me $600.
Yeah, I was thinking about an XB, but I've already had an XC ute and would really like something a little older. If an XA-C comes around at a real good price I might consider it though..

Cheers.