Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
hagarone

Default Vehicle test notice

I received a letter from the EPA the other day stating that my 1 tonne Ute was too noisy.The car was road worthied two and half months ago The funny thing is it has a standard exhaust and if it was any quieter it would be classed as electric.

hagarone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vehicle test notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagarone View Post
I received a letter from the EPA the other day stating that my 1 tonne Ute was too noisy.The car was road worthied two and half months ago The funny thing is it has a standard exhaust and if it was any quieter it would be classed as electric.
you don't think someone might have reported it as noisy just too annoy you. It wouldn't surprise me the way some people are
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
hagarone

It states that a report has been lodged by member of the Victoria police indicating that the vehicle was considered to be either excessively noisy or to have had faulty exhaust system.
Old 13-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

noise emissions do not only cover exhaust but any noise coming from the car, ie induction noise, rattly engines etc.

If yours is all stock and in good condition you should pass, but the problem is you need to take the time and pay the money to do the test, not quite fair if all is legit.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that is a bit unfair you have too pay for the test. I can understand if you had too pay for it if you fail but what if you've done nothing wrong and you pass???
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
hagarone

He must of got the number plate wrong or it was another car next to me making the noise.
Old 13-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Unfortanately even if it complies your still going to have to pay for the test and take time off to do it.A shyte rule the police officer or any relevant authority should pull you over and test the car.The only good outcome is that you wont cop the $600 fine
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
He must of got the number plate wrong or it was another car next to me making the noise.
Wouldnt be suprised if he wrote down the other car aswell, a waste of time and a real pain in the a$$
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
hagarone

I rang the EPA on Friday when l got the letter, and told them what happened, they took my details and said they couldn't do anything till Monday! I asked if l could be compensated for this false report and they said yes! It's unfair all the BS you have to go through when your Innocent! The boys at work even stir me how QUIET it is! What a joke!!!
Old 13-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I got reported for 'excessive exhaust emissions' by some local do-good-er... only problem was I got passed about a week prior by the transport authority on a road side check... that and the fact that I was at WORK and NOWHERE NEAR where it claimed I was...

Maybe someone mucked up the plates? Or maybe someone is just trying to get in your grill
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I rang the EPA on Friday when l got the letter, and told them what happened, they took my details and said they couldn't do anything till Monday! I asked if l could be compensated for this false report and they said yes! It's unfair all the BS you have to go through when your Innocent! The boys at work even stir me how QUIET it is! What a joke!!!
Not much you can do, you can fight it but that means going to court. 2 and a half months is a long time. I think the test is $30 bucks and last time I did it, was a place in Altona. Just book it in and get done. Clear the EPA notice. It is a lot quicker and easier.

There excuse for not doing anything will be you could of changed the exhaust since you got the letter.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6 View Post
I got reported for 'excessive exhaust emissions' by some local do-good-er... only problem was I got passed about a week prior by the transport authority on a road side check... that and the fact that I was at WORK and NOWHERE NEAR where it claimed I was...

Maybe someone mucked up the plates? Or maybe someone is just trying to get in your grill
The letter was issued by a police officer not a member of the public.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
jmak44

Quote:
It states that a report has been lodged by member of the Victoria police indicating that the vehicle was considered to be either excessively noisy or to have had faulty exhaust system.
When this happened to me i was so outraged because i knew my car wasn't excessively loud (i was under by 4dB). By the member of Victoria police using their hearing and opinion to determine that the car is excessively loud, allows for too much bias.

Secondly there is no system of appeals and the only way out is too waste time running around doing a test then you are out of pocket 40 bucks for no good reason, and in all that time your car was never over the limit. To me it's just a revenue raising tactic.

Thirdly i see a conflict of interest where the testing is conducted at exhaust shops who try to push the car over the limit so that they can charge you for installing a new exhaust to put the car back under the limit. Testing should be independently done by the EPA and a fee should only be payed if the car is over the limit.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think you will find that it was reported by a do gooder but needs to be issued by police hence the police name on report ive had this before also if a cop thought it was loud they would of pulled you over and issued you with a defect

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck...hope it passes.

The problem is that even a brand new car a few months out of the showroom won't usually pass the ADR's. Motorbikes have had this issue for decades. For noise for example, they set a decibel limit and that's that...no leeway for wear and tear is usually allowed, and I got a "warning" about the stock factory exhaust on my 2008 Suzuki just after I bought it when it was only two years old. "Just over the dB limit there mate...but I'll let it go this time". This on a bike that had less than 10,000km on it, is absolutely unmodified, and which was literally like new.
Of course, Harleys are exempt from these testings under law apparently...that's how they can ride around with open pipes and literally zero muffling and never get booked...

Cars are a whole different kettle of fish. The problem is that once you change a muffler...even for a standard replacement aftermarket one...it probably won't meet the sound requirements that it was tested with at the factory.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 15-01-2013 at 07:49 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jealous are we,just sit outside said copshop,take personel regos down and have some fun reporting yourself,lucky i live in an area where there are a lot of bikies,hot rods musclecars,sorry should have just said evil hoons
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v View Post
i think you will find that it was reported by a do gooder
i once reported an old landcruiser because it was BELCHING huge amounts of black smoke. i thought it was on fire. i had to wind up the windows and turn off the vents it was so bad.
Old 16-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my wife once got reported to the EPA for throwing cigarette butts out the window 200km from where we live! She wasnt there (was home) , and has never smoked a single butt in her life!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
hagarone

I got the test done today.And well hello!!!
Old 16-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Wow you got it tested same time last year ....lol
Old 16-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Would be nice to go back to that officer and ask ... "which part of 80Db is over the legal noise limit?"

Unfortunately you cant though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
hagarone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75 View Post
Wow you got it tested same time last year ....lol
He put in the wrong date
Old 16-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you know that in NSW certain new vehicles (commodores and falcons) have an exemption to the db limits and are allowed to be noisier because they are green (environmentally efficient) but if you take the complete running gear and put it into an older vehicle with absolutely no modifications what so ever the db levels put out are then illegal. Figure that one out!

It doesn't matter how you look at it its not a level playing field
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #24
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

and why the hell do harleys have full noise allocations???
i can hear the things 5 acres away and thats legal?
but if my car makes half the volume and sits at 100db its illegal???

wtf is up with that?
someone explain
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
baxtc1

So do you get reimbursed for the cost of the test, maybe send them a bill for your time?
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

MercurySilver, I was talking about this with a bikie friend of a friend with a Harley and he said that they do get stopped for having loud bikes and he has a quieter exhaust fitted to avoid any issues. Those we see driving around with the really loud pipes are doing so at their own risk, but it does seem like they make their own speed limits and noise limit rules a lot of the time.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

as mentioned, Harleys do have to meet noise levels, owners mod at their own risks as do car owners do with some of their mods.

Harleys do get targeted for noise, just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I'm not saying it doesn't happen just never seen it
There's about 5 blokes at work with Harley's all modded and they have never ever had a prob
Even when being pulled over for a breatho.
It should be standard
sadly it seems they get away with it more than car drivers do.
Oh well
Such is life
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Dad used to have an old Ford D-series truck that he used to drive between his farm and their other block of land a couple of kms down the road. By the end, the engine was getting tired and it was belching out a lot of smoke. Sure enough he got an EPA notice for it but the weird thing was it was reported at Glen Waverley. That is about 200kms from Maffra, where Dad actually drove it! I doubt it would have even made the distance to Glen Waverley!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
caprispecial

If your registration dept. is anything like the one I went to recently they will knock that cert. back as its not the right date. Pedantic yes.
caprispecial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post