Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default insurance claim help

i had an accident on the 21st of june and it was my fault (no damage to my steel tray : ). The other insurance company rang me a couple weeks later asking if i had made a claim through my insurance which i hadnt as i was waiting to know how much the bill was to fix their car because i have $750 excess. So they still havent contacted me about it and i havent made a claim yet. I tried contacting them the other week and sent them through the details i knew so they could try and find the claim of the other driver and they havent responded. Im going to try again this week but what do you all think is happening because if i need to make a claim through my insurance i dont think it is a good idea to leave it too late. Or do you think it will just be better to make a claim now and get it over with but im not sure the bill will be less than my excess so i will lose my no claim bonus aswell. sorry for all that jiberish i hope you understand what i mean. thanks

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps make it known to the insurance company there was an accident and that you are waiting on action from the other party. Once you know how much it will be, you will decide whether to claim or not. At least get a claim up and running, which you can cancel at a later date.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Call your insurance company and make a claim as a "Report Only" make sure you take down the date, time and name of the person you spoke to at the insurance company - as sometimes insurance company's fail to keep record of these "report only" reports

Its not a real big issue to report the claim as the date of accident will be on the letter of claim that the other party's insurer will send you.

We have had claims go though upto 24 months after the accident.

Anyway you have two other options:-

1. As its your fault and you have advised the other party your name and address you can just wait till the mail you a claim

2. Ask for quotes for repairs to the other party's car to be sent to you as soon as possible so you know how much it will approx cost for repairs

If the other person has made a claim with their insurer this is the procedure:-

1. They supply the insurer with a Quote
2. The insurer get an Assessor to assess the quote
3. The insurer will authorise repairs after the quote has been assessed
4. Once the repairs are authorised they will book the car in for repairs
5. The other party's car will be repaired
6. The repiarer will then send the final invoice to the insurer for the total repair costs.
7. After all that has been done thats when the other party's insurer will send you a letter with the cost of repairs.

I usually tell clients if they are in an at fault claim and the other party has not contacted then to "let sleeping dogs lie" as they have done their duty its now up to the other party or other party's insurer to contact them

Hope this helps

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Call your insurance company and make a claim as a "Report Only" make sure you take down the date, time and name of the person you spoke to at the insurance company - as sometimes insurance company's fail to keep record of these "report only" reports

You have two other options:-

1. As its your fault and you have advised the other party your name and address you can just wait till the mail you a claim

2. Ask for quotes for repairs to the other party's car to be sent to you as soon as possible so you know how much it will approx cost for repairs

If the other person has made a claim with their insurer this is the procedure:-

1. They supply the insurer with a Quote
2. The insurer get an Assessor to assess the quote
3. The insurer will authorise repairs after the quote has been assessed
4. Once the repairs are authorised they will book the car in for repairs
5. The other party's car will be repaired
6. The repiarer will then send the final invoice to the insurer for the total repair costs.
7. After all that has been done thats when the other party's insurer will send you a letter with the cost of repairs.

I usually tell clients if they are in an at fault claim and the other party has not contacted then to "let sleeping dogs lie" as they have done their duty its up now up to the other party or other party's insurer to contact them

Hope this helps
ok, i did ring my insurance and tell them about it as you mention like a report only however i dont have the date and time i did it. now say the other insurer sends me the bill/letter for the cost of the repairs and i want to go ahead and claim through my insurance can i still do that even though it is quite some time after the incident?

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 06-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
ok, i did ring my insurance and tell them about it as you mention like a report only however i dont have the date and time i did it. now say the other insurer sends me the bill/letter for the cost of the repairs and i want to go ahead and claim through my insurance can i still do that even though it is quite some time after the incident?
Dont stress about the time that has passed, as I said the letter of claim from the other party will have the date of accident noted on it and as long as you had a current insurance policy at that time it will be covered.

You could even change insurer's today and your previous insurer will still come to the party and you will be able to claim.

You are worrying about nothing..................

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
kenz
BOSS Pilot

got the bill in the mail today. $720 which is $30 less than my excess so dont need to make a claim and i can keep my no claim bonus. i was stressing abit about it as this was my first accident but its all good now. thanks for your help DRHEMI

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote: