Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
dazzahh
Starter Motor

Default decision trade in

Hi due to problem and what not i am going to trade in my 2005 XR6 Falcon for either a 2006 - 7 XR6 Falcon or a Holden.

I cant quite makeup my mind, i have had extremely bad experiences with the XR6 and regret buying it, So i wanted to try holden out but even though they have the VZ 190W i heard that the XR6 still outperforms it in most aspects as in acceleration, Speed, Torque and interior design and looks more sporty. even though its a 180~ ish KW but it still has the 4.0L other then 3.6 or 3.8L

Although i am still learning about all these can i have recommendations, i mostly wanting the power and torque thats what i love about the XR6 but then again if the holden is better in the regard i will go to them.

Last night in my xr6 i was doing some intense driving, for an hour i was maxing out the engine to its limits, 0 - 150 continuously, hitting 5 - 6K revs and repeating this however on the 3RD go my engine completely shutdown on me and everything stopped working, luckily i was in the country and no one got hurt and all that showed was a battery light. If this is the case and normal for XR6 then i will goto a holden so what does everyone think?

no bias ford posters please just want it straight.

dazzahh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
guy351
Mr EFicient

i would personally go for the typhoon as it should be able to beat the rival holdens, and it is rather luxurious inside.
guy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol floggin a XR6 like that eh... Doesnt sound legal but neways.. I think youd be better off with a 4 cylinder Magna, 1980s vintage.. Just make sure you buy some stop smoke for those 0 - 150 sprints.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
dazzahh
Starter Motor

i have visited ford 13 times with 9 sheets of invoices of repairs and i only done 8000k's, so "floggin" is the only option atm, as for the sprints, they are merely tests but if the 4 cylinder magna has less problems then this junk then yeah sure i grab it, especially if its cheaper then the 30,000$ i paid for this car and works

Thanks guy351, but i can't drive any Turbos or V8's.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

You probably overheated it or something so it shut down.

I have seen your other thread so I know the rest of the problems you have. Some of them just sound like Ford traits actually. But I would say you got a lemon unfortunately.

Take a VZ S out for a drive and see if you like it. The Ford I6 has heaps more torque than the 3.6 and 3.8 V6s which you will feel as drivability around town rather than flat to the floor accelleration tests. I think as far as 0-100 goes they make similar times.

If you dont mind the front wheels providing the power try a Magna VRX, or a 380 VRX if the buget stretches. They are a very underated car.

But seriously, if you just gonna be a dropkick hoon buy a 4cyl buzzbox. You will have more excitement at lower speeds and reduce your chances of wiping yourself or someone else out.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzahh
Thanks guy351, but i can't drive any Turbos or V8's.
Hey fellas, heres the reason for those P plate restrictions... each time you wonder why the government does these things, read the first post.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
dazzahh
Starter Motor

Hi

Thanks for all suggestions, Yeah i know about the torque thats why i love the XR6 at the moment, I don't normally go full out, i drive normally to get to A - B, home and to work. As for my problems they are increasing and the list is getting bigger, As for the overheat i check my dash every 5 seconds of driving about 2 seconds before it cut out all i saw was Everything was up as normal but the battery light appeared and engine shut down, if i did overheat it then my bad looks like i need to get some better cooling in there if i want to try that again :P.

All i want is a XR6 with no problems, or one or two which i can fix (nothing is perfect)

Yeah true P plater restrictions however in most cases people with there full license and their big engines do the damage.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Lol floggin a XR6 like that eh... Doesnt sound legal but neways.. I think youd be better off with a 4 cylinder Magna, 1980s vintage.. Just make sure you buy some stop smoke for those 0 - 150 sprints.
Are you sure 150 is going to be possible in that? :eclipsee_

To the original poster, if you want reliability, going Commodore isnt your answer. Both Falcon and Commodore are about the same in that department.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
dazzahh
Starter Motor

Torxteer

He was taking the .
Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

So was I
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
dazzahh
Starter Motor

hahahah
Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi due to problem and what not i am going to trade in my 2005 XR6 Falcon for either a 2006 - 7 XR6 Falcon or a Holden.

I cant quite makeup my mind, i have had extremely bad experiences with the XR6 and regret buying it, So i wanted to try holden out but even though they have the VZ 190W i heard that the XR6 still outperforms it in most aspects as in acceleration, Speed, Torque and interior design and looks more sporty. even though its a 180~ ish KW but it still has the 4.0L other then 3.6 or 3.8L

Although i am still learning about all these can i have recommendations, i mostly wanting the power and torque thats what i love about the XR6 but then again if the holden is better in the regard i will go to them.

Last night in my xr6 i was doing some intense driving, for an hour i was maxing out the engine to its limits, 0 - 150 continuously, hitting 5 - 6K revs and repeating this however on the 3RD go my engine completely shutdown on me and everything stopped working, luckily i was in the country and no one got hurt and all that showed was a battery light. If this is the case and normal for XR6 then i will goto a holden so what does everyone think?

no bias ford posters please just want it straight.
Might be an idea of you consider another brand , I have had Fords for many years but on recently running a Golf gti2 and adding a blower> rapes pretty much anything around town through the twistys and costs little run , maybe you can find a suitable compromise ?
Sometimes a change is good as a rest ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Maybe you need to get a Honda or a Supra. With comments like your driving in the first post you are obviously "too fast and too furious!" for the Falcon.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #14
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

yes it is very disapointing to have a lemon !! may have you considerd a xr5 turbo ! i have so many bad thing people have said about the ba falcons ! i have had very good reports from people that has bf falcons who had had ba falcons ! it all up to you budd you will know the right thing to do when you make the decision !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
You probably overheated it or something so it shut down.
Take a VZ S out for a drive and see if you like it. The Ford I6 has heaps more torque than the 3.6 and 3.8 V6s which you will feel as drivability around town rather than flat to the floor accelleration tests. I think as far as 0-100 goes they make similar times.

If you dont mind the front wheels providing the power try a Magna VRX, or a 380 VRX if the buget stretches. They are a very underated car.

But seriously, if you just gonna be a dropkick hoon buy a 4cyl buzzbox. You will have more excitement at lower speeds and reduce your chances of wiping yourself or someone else out.
No such thing as a VZ 'S' only SV6, but as others have said you more then likely got a lemon. Buying a holden wont solve your problem though.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
yes it is very disapointing to have a lemon !! may have you considerd a xr5 turbo ! i have so many bad thing people have said about the ba falcons ! i have had very good reports from people that has bf falcons who had had ba falcons ! it all up to you budd you will know the right thing to do when you make the decision !

Exclamation marks are not comma's............ :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
Sonik
Banned

Maybe sell up and get a TJ VRX Magna? if you find a manual it will kill any stock AU and auto BA's.
Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Umm, I do know that they do make it though is very hairy! though I have grown up since then so dont bother flaming me about it cos I know it was stupid and 5 years ago
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
dazzahh
Starter Motor

Keep the suggestions rolling, Thanks for everyones input

According to my dad im quite a fast driver, not to the point of breaking law or dangerous driving, i just want to reach my destination as quick as possible.

XR5 Turbo sounds good but i cannot drive because of restrictions however i heard that the People switching from BA falcon to BF falcon are happy. That would be my next step is to get a BF however i may look at other types of branded cars.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #20
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Last night in my xr6 i was doing some intense driving, for an hour i was maxing out the engine to its limits, 0 - 150 continuously,
Quote:
According to my dad im quite a fast driver, not to the point of breaking law or dangerous driving,
so your dad is on the same drugs as you?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

The fords your talking about are 190kw with about 40 more Nm of torque. In terms of performance the Falcons are better.

I assume your XR is a BAII so it would have the 4speed auto, and they aren't the best box (mind you the Commodore 4sp isn't flash either). Try finding a 6sp auto or manual. In terms of reliability the last figures I saw on both models of these years was about par with the XT having slightly less claims and the XR having slightly more claims (in terms of claims per 100 units).

Have a look in here for problems that the BF's have had http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=40927 , but if your driving the XR like your saying then dont expect either the Ford or the Holden models to stand up to the punishment as abusing a car is going to lead to failures. Mind you the BA I had took alot of punishment and it was a tough cookie.

Also as someone said earlier the car prob shut down becuase it was going to overheat.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #22
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Yeah mate, go get the Commodore, it's a winner!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #23
ingall9

firstly if you drive a car like that wears out quicker, just like stuff on 4wd's wears out when you actually use it for its intended purpose and get it dirty. If you are driving like that on public roads you need to wake up a bit, if you dont kill yourself you are likely to kill someone else. look into track days and have fun legally.

I reckon get an XR5 Turbo Ford Focus, those things are seriously hot, 10-20kw less than the standard XR6 in a lighter smaller car.

But i think no matter what you buy, if you drive it like that you will brake stuff and wear things out quicker, especially the motor.
ingall9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #24
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

If you want to drive a car like you said in your first post & give it a flogging, then you're going to have to get an FPV.
But then you can't drive a Turbo or V8.

This is just a suggestion, but maybe slow down a bit & take it easy maybe then you'll actually get off your P's & be able to drive performance cars.

It doesn't really matter what you drive 4 cyl, 6cyl, V8, or turbo, if you drive it like you said, with your (believe it or not) LACK of EXPERIENCE, it's only a matter of time before you wrap yourself around a power pole or tree or kill someone else. Maybe the car shutting down was the universe saving your *** from the tree around the next corner?
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #25
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your car probably went into guard mode to stop engine damage from occuring. Or possibly you could have overheated the oil... I think that you would be better off getting a newer XR6 if you are trying to decide between a VZ SV6 and BF XR6 because those Commodore Alloytec's are devoid any low down torque compared to the I6 in Falcons. And not to mention that if your young the insurance for SV6's is significantly dearer than for an XR6. (I know this because I was considering buying a manual SV6 before I decided on my BA and priced up insurance and test drove etc. : )
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #26
dazzahh
Starter Motor

oh seems everyone is misunderstanding, i am not one of those nutters that drive 120 in a 60 zone, I always abide by the speed limits and i pay close attention around hazard area's have never had an accident and i have had my P's for 9months only when i goto the country or newcastle or nelsons bay i tend to flog it to really push the limits, I agree i am inexperienced but im just after a reliable car that has the power when its needed and the looks , by fast driver i mean i like to flog it to the speed limit, when merging do it ASAP, entering Highways i get to the max speed limit possible while others take there time.

When i move onto my full license i will be looking at getting a FPV Like a typhoon or something along the lines, they are great looking cars, really sexy and i have seen the power that they can produce and outstanding torque but thats 2 Years away and who knows what might come out then :P

anyhow anyone know any good suggestions in cars that are have the power and nice torque, i have been looking at some Honda's and Suburu's but none has grabed my taste yet....

any recommendations?

Last edited by dazzahh; 06-04-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Seriously, If you like the power and looks of the XR6, get one. Go for a 6 Speed (manual or auto, just not the 4 speed) BF, and you should loose a lot of the issues you would of gotten with your BA, if your looking at '07 that would be a BF MKII which is even better again.

Don't go for a Commodore if you are looking for a reliable cars, they have just as many issues as the Falcon. A TJ VRX Magna (manual) will look great and go hard, as well as being cheaper but they are Front wheel drive, and you may not like that sort of thing.

As for a Japanese car, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, there will not be anything with the power of a big Aussie 6 without going for a turbo (which you can't drive of course) and even then, it will be a grey import, and that in its own right is something to steer clear of.

As others of said, try to avoiding driving like an idiot, apart from the obvious legal and safety aspects of this behavior, the cars just don't appreciate it, and will eventually something will go wrong for you.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #28
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
No such thing as a VZ 'S' only SV6
You can tell I'm a big Holden nut :

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #29
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
According to my dad im quite a fast driver

Quote:
oh seems everyone is misunderstanding, i am not one of those nutters that drive 120 in a 60 zone, I always abide by the speed limits
Um, ok... I'm not sure how they'd misunderstand it from your below post...

Quote:
Last night in my xr6 i was doing some intense driving, for an hour i was maxing out the engine to its limits, 0 - 150 continuously, hitting 5 - 6K revs
Where in your area are there 150km speed limits? I'd love to know...

Sounds to me like you're an inexperienced P-plate fool of a driver and we're lucky the new laws prevent you buying anything more powerful. (then again, you can kill yourself, or someone else, just as easily in a slow car I guess...)

Last edited by Deadman; 06-04-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #30
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

I think you need to sell up, relax and just calm down man. That is ridiculous 150kms..its people like yourself who give other P plates a bad reputation. How do people like yourself even get there license? I don't care whether you go 150 in the city or the country..it's still ridiculously high speeds to be driving at coming from a driver with only 9 MONTHS driving experience! It's crazy..

2004 BAII XR6T - Lowered, Exhaust, Tint, Flash Tune, K&N Filter..what next? :

PREVIOUS CARS:

2000 Ford Falcon AUII Forte - Exhaust, lowered & tint

MK III Ford Cortina - Completely Stock!
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post