Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-09-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 
Default Ebay prices

I was having a look around ebay (as i often do), and i really can't believe how many people put absolutely rediculous prices on things, and what gets me more is these items getting sold. I thought ebay was all about bargain hunting, not top dollar marketing.

Thats it im putting my 20 year old 68cm AWA TV on there and asking for $500 cause its vintage and rare, since this one is still working.

Old 20-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should see some of the X series stuff they have on there.

$500 for a GT knob from memory. There was a coupe shell that was rusted completely and the moron wanted 2k or so for it (the ad is pretty famous around here). Any idiot with an XY thinks it's worth an arm and a leg too (I've seen standard XY falcons in the mid 20's.

Ebay is pretty expensive, stupid people pay those prices so sellers take advantage.

Unfortunately it hurts everyone not just idiots.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 20-09-2008 at 06:51 AM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

I think a lot of ebayers see something on their and assume that cause its on ebay it much be cheap, and thats why things get sold.

Personally before i purchase anything, i check the stores and ebay and research it before buying.
Old 20-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
The Dark One

Cool

it can be cheaper if you want to save a dollar or two
but look at the bigger picture where else can you find all the parts you need in one place ... but it always seems that the part you are after so is every one else so the price goes thro the roof
some times you may be lucky to find that one piece for .99 and win it
other times some one out bids you in the last second :
The Dark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Munch
CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

I sell on the Bay.. and it's not cheap... $3-4 to list, then $15-20 if it sells, then paypal takes the same again... so the item that sells for ^$500 really only makes you $440-$450 in the end..

I was trying to sell a brand new dual FPV V8 throttlebody for $800 (others were ^$1700) I paid a lil bit less than $800 for it, just wanted my money back...

and I had one guy say he'll give me $300 cash for it... WTF?

and even then, at $800 it didn't sell...

So show me the idiots lol
Munch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
JAYMZ
My Deception

Tell me bout it, those Hamish and Andy chips were selling for over $20 each pack and it had bids on it:, so went to my local supermarket and bought them for $1.20ea. :
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
FordSteve
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia

Thats it im putting my 20 year old 68cm AWA TV on there and asking for $500 cause its vintage and rare, since this one is still working.
Can I put in a bid for $502.50
FordSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
I sell on the Bay.. and it's not cheap... $3-4 to list, then $15-20 if it sells, then paypal takes the same again... so the item that sells for ^$500 really only makes you $440-$450 in the end..

I was trying to sell a brand new dual FPV V8 throttlebody for $800 (others were ^$1700) I paid a lil bit less than $800 for it, just wanted my money back...

and I had one guy say he'll give me $300 cash for it... WTF?

and even then, at $800 it didn't sell...

Sorry about that !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok fordsteve sold to you the highest bidder, and everyone here is a witness or i'll give you bad feedback :
Old 21-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Ebay is pretty expensive, stupid people pay those prices so sellers take advantage.
I've sold dozens of items on ebay, and the vast majority of the time, I list every item at a 99c starting bid with no reserve.

As a seller, I'm not exactly taking advantage when I list something with no reserve and a non existent starting bid. What people will bid to though is another matter, and I have no control of that.

I personally rarely buy off ebay via auctions, as most of the things I'm interested in go for silly prices.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont see the problem.

I have bought a few things for reasonable prices, I bought 8 42lb injectors new $300.

Basically if an item is too dear, no one will buy it, then it will get relisted until someone buys it, or it gets binned.

I reckon its great, but only for buyers.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 02:04 AM   #12
FPV GT40
Banned

Its an open market, if you do not like it do not bid, I for one love e bay as it has allowed me to collect parts that otherwise I would never have found for my restoration project, You pay the price, but where else are you going to find parts world wide?

The sellers fees have skyrocketed especially with pay pal as well, taking a big chunk of sellers profits but selling some parts you get lots more exposure to buyers than any other place.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #13
HUNTER8

I didn't think this was a bad price for a sweet potato.....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/-Sweet-Potato...QQcmdZViewItem
HUNTER8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER8
I didn't think this was a bad price for a sweet potato.....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/-Sweet-Potato...QQcmdZViewItem
How disturbing/funny.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #15
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I've sold dozens of items on ebay, and the vast majority of the time, I list every item at a 99c starting bid with no reserve.

As a seller, I'm not exactly taking advantage when I list something with no reserve and a non existent starting bid. What people will bid to though is another matter, and I have no control of that.

I personally rarely buy off ebay via auctions, as most of the things I'm interested in go for silly prices.
Yeah sorry mate.

I also sell on ebay, mainly it's just stupid people paying high prices, most sellers as you've said put a 0.99 starting bid.

But you do get the idiots with a vintage items that have no value and make stupid suggestions (trying to justify their price), Eg. 1957 Fender stratocaster (vintage guitar), unplayable due to rot/warped. Make a great wall piece, price $5000.
Old 21-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #16
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
I dont see the problem.

I have bought a few things for reasonable prices, I bought 8 42lb injectors new $300.

Basically if an item is too dear, no one will buy it, then it will get relisted until someone buys it, or it gets binned.

I reckon its great, but only for buyers.
I disagree.

There are many idiots buying items for ridiculous prices.
Old 21-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #17
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe sweet potatoe, if you peel'd it you'd squirm.

The postage on ebay is the one that annoys me, people putting in rediculous postage costs, a lot of the time i'll look at that and just won't bid because of it. I was looking at fuel reg's a little while ago, and there was one that was about 10minutes from my work and wanted $25 postage, yet wouldn't allow pickup. So i just don't buy from him.
Old 21-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #18
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hehe sweet potatoe, if you peel'd it you'd squirm.

The postage on ebay is the one that annoys me, people putting in rediculous postage costs, a lot of the time i'll look at that and just won't bid because of it. I was looking at fuel reg's a little while ago, and there was one that was about 10minutes from my work and wanted $25 postage, yet wouldn't allow pickup. So i just don't buy from him.
Should see the Chinese guitars.

$1 each buy it now. $300 postage.

And they can get a way with it (shouldn't it's deceiving as all hell) because it's postage and HANDLING.

Stupid, I had the idea to request the postage receipt to see what the postage really cost. However it doesn't matter, they can charge what they want for handling.
Old 21-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
The Mighty Red

I only have a problem with ebay when something I want is on there and the sellers starting price is over the top, he's dreamin.
/99c auctions are the best , they start low and they are a truer reflection of what the item is worth..
Old 21-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i do selectivly buy on ebay i might watch 50 to 70 items a week and buy 2 or 3 ( mainly computer parts) and when I but it is price drivena lot of stuff goes for too much but there are some bargains to be had. I can generaly double my $ when i resell ( not on ebay) what I buy

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

I have purchased so many bargains off ebay I cant remember them all.

To name a few:
EF Xr8 5 speed with AU windsor motor - $1800
Ford Telstar(VGC) - $230
Ford XE Falcon duel fuel, exhaust, mags - $140
18ft half cabin with 90hp yamaha late model - $4300 (Sold the motor for $3800 on ebay a year later)
Shirts - $30-$50 in the shops... $10 on ebay

Trick is with things like clothing and so on, bundle a number of items with your order to the same seller... save a crap load on postage. I buy things from Hong Kong and bundle them, and receive the item within 7 days...

Had over 200 transactions on ebay and I cant really think of 1 ive been dissapointed with.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
That's my main gripe as well. Some people think they can sell an item for 20% below market value, then charge 1000% increase on postage.

I was looking at a few SD cards a while back, 'no pickups' even though they were in Sydney and then they thought that $20 for regular post was a fair price for a SD card.

To be fair, the most an SD card should be to post is around $5 and that's with registered post as well.

Anyway, 2 weeks later they were being sold in Strathfield for less anyway.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #23
shane3
FPV GT 0915

On Friday night I picked up a Talon lawnmower for $112.50 second hand (the guy said that it didn't run right and kept on cutting out on him) they retail new for $450.00, went to bunnings and spent $12.00 for new blades, $6.50 for new pull cord, 1/2 a ltr of petrol for cleaning out the carby and other parts, so for under $132.50 ($112.50 plus $20.00 on parts), and 3 hours of playing around in the garage, I have a great lawnmower that this guy was ready to throw away (all due to the carby inlet being clogged with a big piece of foam from the air filter)

Some really great bargains out there, as well as some fine rip offs.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #24
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I disagree.

There are many idiots buying items for ridiculous prices.

Whats wrong with that, they know the price and the product they are bidding on, they have piece of mind that the item they are buying if its through paypal, I dont see the problem.

My last few purchases have been good, I have bought a sales brochure in immaculate condition for the 77 cl panel van range for $20, Mopar rocker covers for half the price they retail at speed shops here as well as a few injectors and a few carparts.

After all its their money and its what they want. You could also deal with the Trading post to sell goods, but they obviously charge a bit and you dont get the exposure the internet can have.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

Old 21-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #25
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Whats wrong with that, they know the price and the product they are bidding on, they have piece of mind that the item they are buying if its through paypal, I dont see the problem.

My last few purchases have been good, I have bought a sales brochure in immaculate condition for the 77 cl panel van range for $20, Mopar rocker covers for half the price they retail at speed shops here as well as a few injectors and a few carparts.

After all its their money and its what they want. You could also deal with the Trading post to sell goods, but they obviously charge a bit and you dont get the exposure the internet can have.

Trading post is on the internet
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #26
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People get caught up in competing to win auctions. I sold an XR8 body kit for an insane amount. I had a bidding war and made $1200 in 60 seconds.

From a buyers perspective I've found many bargains and hard to find bits on there.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #27
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Trading post is on the internet
I realise that, but how many people go looking throught hte trading post on the Net compared to Ebay ?

Then it isnt as easy as put a bid on an item, you have to contact them, nothing is auctioned off so you wont ever pick up something for little unless the seller only wants that amount.

The ease and exposure is a big selling point of Ebay.

Old 22-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres no denying that ebay is a really good thing, and i have been thru the trading post online before looking for stuff, its much harder to find anything you may want, and a lack of pictures too. So i don't really look there anymore..

I used to like buying blown up amplifiers and repairing them and selling em on ebay again, that made me some money while in between jobs a while back.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #29
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
I've tried selling a genuine FPV BA GT rear bar for 450 on there, and had multiple clowns contacting me say that they can buy new fibreglass for 300, so no way would they pay 450 for GENUINE GT.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
HOEBAG
Banned

ebay prices are there because people will pay them
it's not hard to find a bargain either.
sometimes if theres an item thats half the cost of the RRP in a shop, ill put in a pretty high max bid because im still happy to not have to get off my
HOEBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post