Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default T5 just died

was driving home this morning after doing the right thing taking the gf to work, took off, changed from 1st to 2nd and put my foot down a bit.

hear this vibration and the whole car started to shake, backed off and quickly changed to 4th.

car then started making weird rattle noises coming from the gearbox, when you shift into neutral the noises go away, but when it is is gear it rattles and doesnt sound very nice. a lower gear like 1st or 2nd the rattles are worst and this is when the car start to gets a harsh vibration.

the gearbox has been on its way out for a while, but it only changed a bit notchy. when it was i gear it felt fine i thought it still had a good 3-6months left in it. ohwell i guess not.

anyway ive been ringing around this morning trying to find a replacement gearbox which no body seems to have in SA. one place did have a normal t5 out of a v8 ute, but wanted 1475 change over and the box has done 180,000km's. mal wood has exchange boxes for $1900 that have had a rebuild.

does anyone else know where i could source a t5 from to suit a 220kw xr8?

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at getting the box rebuilt may be a better option. I had the same noise with my gearbox twice. If all the gears still work then take it to a shop and get them to acess the damage and give you a quote. Its sounds like your bearings are gone which means that it may not be an expensive fix. A rebuild may save you a few $$$ and headaches from getting a second hand box.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
5L
[ 5L ]

all the gears work, but second seems to be gone. i took it for a quick drive before to recheck the damage and as soon as i tried to put it into 2nd it gave a decent clunk that was felt through the whole car. so i changed to 3rd, where it still makes the rattling noise but it seems to drive ok.

do you think it will be ok to drive it to the shop? the place that gave me the best price is about 45km's away. after i described it to him he thinks it is the cluster and 2nd gear.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 14-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
EvilChief
Boost Addict

if 4 is ok to drive in sounds like just bearings on the secondary shaft, if its a particular gear it might be the gear for the that gear ratio, or if its a vibration at speed its out put shaft bearing or rev related vibration or noise its input shaft bearing

if its hard tyo change its synchro
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Have you tried athol park ford wreckers? they had one their a couple of weeks ago I think when I got my seats..

Not good to hear...
Old 14-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
5L
[ 5L ]

athol park, have a normal t5 not a t5z that im after, for $1470 and they want my box. they are unsure of the km's it has on it. the bloke took a rough guess on km's.

only second seems to be giving a vibration through the car, in 1st 3rd 4th and 5th there is no vibration just a rattly noise coming from the gearbox.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 14-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know Hart Transmissions here in brisbane does rebuilds to saloon car spec for $1800 approx from memory.
they change some bearings around to make the gearset not float and yeah

apparently have them behind some TOUGH motors and are driven VERY hard.. and a saloon car they race demolished a bunch of dog and straight cut boxes and now runs this T5G spec box and has had NO issues...
may be worth a look into mate
Old 15-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
5L
[ 5L ]

hart transmissions sound like the go, full rebuild to t5g specs for around 1600-1800.

cheers for that blackers.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 21-08-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
5L
[ 5L ]

in the end i just went with a local mob here, i find out today what is wrong with it and how much it will be.

ohwell no more 2nd and 3rd gear chirpys.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...t=MOV00199.flv

video wasnt done on a public road ;)

:( im gonna miss em.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 21-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

hey hey
great opportunity
for an auto conversion upgrade!
make your car smoother, more reliable and easier to drive for less!
what's a manual? a broken automatic!
Old 27-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
5L
[ 5L ]

thought id post up, i got a full gearbox rebuild for 1700.

here is the main bit i smashed, i also have second gear at my house but that only has some chips taken out the top of some teeth and some gouges that barely shop up on camera.

lol notice any teeth missing.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 27-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Who did you go with to get the box rebuilt and is a standard build or upgrade?
Old 27-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
5L
[ 5L ]

i actually got it done through GTEK around the conrer from bruce, they sourced it out to someone else though to do the build. R and R gearbox is what it says on the reciept.

it is actually there at the moment, a weird noise in second gear while downshifting and a little bit of a noise while cruising. juat got off the phone to the guy then, they rebuilt my gearbox with the wrong bloody cut gears. should have it back tomorrow.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 27-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Whoopsie! Thats some good chunkage. Glad to hear you got it rebuilt and didn't go with a bloody auto.

Be interesting to hear how the new one goes.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad to see its all worked out

btw that video you posted, sounds friggin tough
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
5L
[ 5L ]

haha cheers grechie,

i followed your e series build when i had my eb (eb5speed) and your car is tough 13.7 from an I6 is impressive.

www.ignitionimages.com