Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
sallad61

Red face steering rack in AU

Hi peoples,not sure if in right spot but if not someone may point me there?.has anyone replaced a steering rack?,was told by mechanic today(rego ticket)leak`s oil,270$ to fix,could anyone help me by sending info to me on how i can fix myself?.if someone could e-mail me with pic`s or help out would really be great!am pensioner &not much money,am trying to get out cheaper.

sallad61 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think you'll find a reco rack won't be much, if any, cheaper than that. i wouldn't get a 2nd hand one because it may have the same problem. also, keep in mind, if you do it yourself, you will need to be able to get the car to somewhere to get a wheel alignment done, if it is quite a way out after replacing the rack, it may scrub the tyres out just driving it a short distance to a tyre shop...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
EvilChief
Boost Addict

steering rack itself a reco one you would be looking around the 200 to 250 mark.

The replacement itself can be a little bit of pita sometimes, if its a S2 onwards you need to undo the two swaybar D mounts and flip the swaybar out of the way. undoing the pressure lines is sometimes easier when the rack is already dropped from its mounting point. btw i highly recommend pipe spanners for undoing the flare nuts. also add around 1.5l of agri fluid to the shopping bill (please DO NOT use DXIII !!!!)

also start the whole excercise by undoing the tie rod ends (requires a large hammer and dont be scared to use it). do not take the toe rods off until you have the rack out of the car. when it is out of teh car measure the over length of teh rack from tie rod to tie rod. then you can undo the tie rods, keep count on how many turns they have gone on by. then on teh new rack scfrew the tie rods back on as many turns as they have come off, sometimes the amount of turns varys from side to side. the remeasure the overall length from tie rod to tie rod. if its within a millimtere or two, your wheel alignment will be reasonably close, however a wheel alignment is still a MUST!

BTW if your mechanic is gonna replace your rack for $270 id take it, thats a damn good price, but i have a funny feelingit mught just be the [price for teh rack, unless they rebuild them inhouse (which we dont due to time constraints - takes about an hour to do, parts are around $50, but you really need to know what your are doing).
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree with both above post`s, not even worth contemplating this job unless you are well tooled up imo, i did mine myself lots of mucking around, a few pics if your interested, http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...g+rack+rebuild
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post