Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
HSE2

Default AU 1 brake upgrade

Hi all.

As some of you will know I own a slightly modified AU 1 Xr8 purchased new in 98.

It’s time for the old girl to get a bit of a refresh as much of the mods were done over 6 years ago.

Some of the little stuff I have a handle on like a replacement momo wheel but the brakes have become a bit of an issue for two reasons.

A few years ago I fitted a cebco brake kit to it. At the time it was probably the best option and required new front struts to allow twin piston callipers to be fitted. With the help of Cat 600 I have discovered the correct term for these uprights would be modified and not series 2 so I have been given a part list of all the stuff I need to change to make it work. Over the years I have missed out on some good Brembo deals but in the last week found another pretty good deal so I was all set to move until I found a wheel issue.

I have also change the wheels X2 and am running 19 inch cheetah speedys that were originally purchased to go on my BF GT-P. Supposedly they clear the Brembo so as a last check to make sure my brake plan would work I tried swapping the wheels over and have discovered my XR8 rims won’t work with the Brembo’s.

Too much time has passed to go back to Speedy, as I just never got around to doing the swap which brings me to my predicament.

My brakes need work as they vibrate rather badly now. They are ok around town but anything north of 80 kph and they have issues. They have already been machined once and perhaps might have one more left in them but I was sort of hoping I might be able to get the XR8 closer to GT-P braking performance so I wanted to look at my options.

The rims were pretty expensive so I don’t really want to get rid of them which now rules out a Brembo install which brings me to a question.

I need to explore options that aren’t so demanding as the fitment of Brembo and am after recommendations and advice on what I will need to do and what options I have.

Here is a picture of the car in question

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Ian,

Give Matt @ Race brakes a call, and see if he can set you up with the 355mm C5 twin piston kit. They may actually work with your existing uprights and the caliper is a lot better than the previous generation PBR that the Cebco kit runs (they are the same as the T-series basic setup as well as ELGT)

Failing that, you could splash out on the BAI/II FPV Standard setup, with the "newer" C6 caliper and 325 x 32mm rotor (Cebco's are 330 x 28mm). These calipers are better than what you have and the pads are isolated from the caliper sliding pins to dampen/reduce any shudder that the earlier calipers had. The only downside here is that the AUII onwards front suspension will still require fitment.

For the rears, you can just buy the Territory rear setup from a wrecker, or Matt had a special on them for around $600-700. These rears measure 328 x 16mm from memory, and are a ventilated rotor and are standard fitment on FPV. They are more than sufficient.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post