Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

Default Resonator Question

Gday all,

Just wondering what difference it makes putting a resonator on my XR6 before the first muffler, as opposed to the traditional way of putting it where the rear muffler usually is.

I am getting one put in soon on my Lukey system which only has the centre muffler (just doesn't sound quite right to me, too raspy) and there is no difference in price for the position of the resonator.

My mate did have a Lukey single muffler/single resonator on his XR6 before the centre muffler and it was much deeper sounding than anything I have heard on a 6.

Thanks.

2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
JoesAu

the best ive heard, centre muffler, then a hot dog muffler where the wheel well is at the back do this it will sound mint, deep on idle.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

Thanks mate. Going off people's build threads, that seems to be the general consensus around here. I am looking for a nice deep sound. Not too concerned how loud it is.
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
Old 29-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
the best ive heard, centre muffler, then a hot dog muffler where the wheel well is at the back do this it will sound mint, deep on idle.
thats what i got. lukey muffler, mercury hot dog. sounds grouse.
Old 30-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

The further to the rear of the pipe you put resonators/mufflers the more it removes drown's and makes them sound less deeper, just think about the fact that your exhaust is a big ecco'in piece of pipe and that if the muffer is right up the back it'll absorb the ecco's at the end of the pipe, if you put it at the front then what comes out of the muffler will then ecco down the rest of the pipe. I think that makes sense.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

That does make sense, but if the resonator is taking out the higher (raspier) notes before it hits the muffler, would that have a different effect on the final note?
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
Old 30-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
thats my system exactly except the extractors(lukeys) are cut on the collector at 3"and is 3" all the way through, sounds awesome at idle an cruise very hard to pick from an v8, a tad loud at full throttle.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

Hmm, definately sounds like that a ressy in the tailpipe section is the go, but I think I will get it installed before the first muffler just to see how it goes. If it sounds bad, I'll get it put in the rear section.
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
Old 01-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
JoesAu

ive seen The Pex exhaust systems put the hot dog resonator before the first muffler. I reckon it would nt sound any good. Im adding Paccie Comps to my System on Sat morning hopefully it will sound even better over the Hi tech's
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post