Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Big Daz
XW Fairmont V8

Default Sydney Motorshow Tezza Diesel

Hey Fellow Ford Forum Devotees,
My first post so bear with me.
Recently I heard from a Ford salesman that a Diesel Territory would be shown at the Sydney Motorshow possibly for sale to the public at a similar time...
Any truth to that or is it just a salesman talking out his bot bot... Cheers Daz.

Big Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Ill get to it.

BS. Its in the works...but wont be ready that soon. I wouldn't expect it for atleast another 12 months. But you never know, they might give it priority.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

im going to go to sydney MS this year, didnt get to the melbourne one so sydney would be good....
that and i havent been to sydney for a few years

hopefully theres some truth to it, there have been mules getting around for a bit now
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

This is totally true - just which year is the question?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I don't think so.

Didn't a salesman tell a member that the GTHO was coming out last year also ?

IMO it won't happen in the next 18 months.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why wont it happen??

Theres been talk of it for the last 12 months so it wouldnt suprise me, whether it will go on sale straight away is another question.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Why wont it happen??
Hey I may be wrong mate but heres what I think:

1. Orion is FoA's priority right now they have limited resources and all of them are devoted to 'cost cutting' and Orion launch. A diesel motor won't just 'bolt' into the engine bay, it would need new engine bay sheet metal (therefore tooling), and also changes to the transmission etc. Big bucks, & lots of resource.

2. Why would FoA release the Diesel in the current Territory if there is 'supposedly' (as mentioned in this Forum), a 'new' Territory some time after Orion ?

Hasn't Tom Gorman stated something along these lines ? Hmmmmm ?

3. As much as you'd like to believe salesmen really don't know THAT much about forward model programs.

Ok there may even be a current Diesel Territory 'concept car' at Sydney to gauge public reaction (but that may even take the shine away from Orion launch early in 2008).

I don't think a diesel Tezza will be for sale for quite a while after Orion is released - that's why I say AT LEAST 18 months.

I'm prepared to put a couple of beers on the fact that my logic is right.
Old 15-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
im going to go to sydney MS this year, didnt get to the melbourne one so sydney would be good....
that and i havent been to sydney for a few years

hopefully theres some truth to it, there have been mules getting around for a bit now
There were territory mules in the Alice about 6 months ago. Couldn't tell you what motor was in them, but I dont know of any other territory that needed heat/speed testing in that time period....
Old 15-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Interesting.

We've just orded a RWD SR as my GF's company car, be spewin' if a diesel hit the streets now.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
Big Daz
XW Fairmont V8

It may lift interest in the Ford brand, give people something to talk about at the motor show... if it goes up for sale soonish I'd be lining up... I've driven the TD Discovery 3 and was very impressed... if the Territory gets this engine and being the best part of a tonne lighter It'd be a cracker of a drive... particularly if it gets less than 10l per 100k's... hope the salesman wasn't pulling my chain..
Old 15-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Perth motor show is on next week or so ,so I'll see if it's there (lets hope so ) .
But yer I'm hearing there is a diesel coming up soon for the Falcon utes as well as the Territory ........lets just hope sooner than latter I say
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daz
It may lift interest in the Ford brand, give people something to talk about at the motor show... if it goes up for sale soonish I'd be lining up... I've driven the TD Discovery 3 and was very impressed... if the Territory gets this engine and being the best part of a tonne lighter It'd be a cracker of a drive... particularly if it gets less than 10l per 100k's... hope the salesman wasn't pulling my chain..
Don't discount the possibility of the engine coming from Volvo, remember they are in the Ford group too.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

You'll be seeing a Territory with an FPV badge first.......... _2:

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #14
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daz
I hope you're right and I'm wrong and a diesel Tezza in released in the next 6 months.

Ford really need it !!!!!!

The vibes I'm getting from all the news in the media and here so far is it won't happen for a while....

How long ? Who really knows ?

Any hints from insiders ?
Old 15-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #15
XRated
Shoot.

I know this may sound extremely silly, but is there anyway Ford could engineer the I6 to run on diesel? All I ever hear talk of is V6 diesels...

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I know this may sound extremely silly, but is there anyway Ford could engineer the I6 to run on diesel? All I ever hear talk of is V6 diesels...
V6 would mean less cost. Also, IIRC the I6 plant is pretty flat out, and I dont know what the costs of another variation would be.

Also easier for Ford in general to just drop something in.

/imagines the torque from a diesel I6!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #17
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big possiblility... Its been talked about for ages and with Holden bringing it in in the Territorys competitor (whatever its called) Ford would be well and trully working on it.

Hope its something decent as Ford will end up needing a Diesel for Falcon to compete with Holden who are bringing that Diesel within 18 months they have developed for Commodore with something like 170+kw and 550nm.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #18
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
/imagines the torque from a diesel I6!
Hahaha yeah exactly what I was thinking - turbo diesel I6. A 10-second caravan-pulling Territory.

I know the V6 option would be cheaper, but still curious if that's the only reason why they wouldn't spend time adapting the current I6 to diesel (as you can tell, I don't know what major differences are between normal and diesel engines).

20V Turbo

Old 16-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #19
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Well they're going to have to pull the stops out at some point...They may be in a different class to the Territory but that hasnt stopped Holden Re Dubbing a Dodgy Captiva Ad to Promote it's New Diesel and having a Direct go at the Territory's Economy.
Old 16-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hahaha yeah exactly what I was thinking - turbo diesel I6. A 10-second caravan-pulling Territory.

I know the V6 option would be cheaper, but still curious if that's the only reason why they wouldn't spend time adapting the current I6 to diesel (as you can tell, I don't know what major differences are between normal and diesel engines).
Because a CGI block is lighter than a cast iron block, and 50% stronger, the V6 diesel IS a caravan pulling engine, it already exists - and we can only hope Ford use technology that has already been developed rather than pretend to be diesel experts and say "lets have a go." I have never seen a petrol converted to a diesel as being a good engine. But i do admit if they made a good CGI 4L I6 turbo diesel with 4th generation Common Rail, and made it well, would be a good thing. But realistically, they would be better off going for a 3.3LV6 version of the Discovery 3 motor with about 200kw/600Nm, with a 4.4L V8 option.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #21
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Because a CGI block is lighter than a cast iron block, and 50% stronger, the V6 diesel IS a caravan pulling engine, it already exists - and we can only hope Ford use technology that has already been developed rather than pretend to be diesel experts and say "lets have a go." I have never seen a petrol converted to a diesel as being a good engine. But i do admit if they made a good CGI 4L I6 turbo diesel with 4th generation Common Rail, and made it well, would be a good thing. But realistically, they would be better off going for a 3.3LV6 version of the Discovery 3 motor with about 200kw/600Nm, with a 4.4L V8 option.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is CGI?

Diesel seems to be gaining popularity in general consumer cars at a fast pace. And finally Australia is taking heed too; which can only be a good thing. As time goes on it seems like a vastly superior fuel compared to petrol (more power, better economy etc), so can we expect to see Falcons (sedans) being optioned with a diesel option in the future? If so, do you think we can expect to say good-bye to our much beloved 4l I6 in several years?

20V Turbo

Old 16-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #22
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I reckon a gas Tezza is more likely before a diesel version.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #23
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

For anyone interested, an interesting article has popped up backing up the possibility of a Diesel Tezza this year.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...D?OpenDocument
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is CGI?
Here is a good explanation on CGI

http://www.manufacturingcenter.com/t...3/0903iron.asp

The new Land Rover diesels use CGI, so does the new GM 2.9 V6
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #25
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
For anyone interested, an interesting article has popped up backing up the possibility of a Diesel Tezza this year.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...D?OpenDocument
It says that the possibility hasn't been denied for this year. But if you read the direct quotes it says all energies are going into Orion.

In the end it's just a media story with no confirmation either way directly from Ford.

I think it's a while away from the tone of the story.....
Old 16-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #26
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i hope they do release a turbo diesel terry, I can claim it on tax, haha.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #27
BLDNUT01

i got told by 1 of the Quality Launch Assistants that they are working on it and its due out by the end of the year
Old 16-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Whens the sydney motor show?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #29
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

They were looking at doing a diesel version of the Falcon six about a decade ago, obviously it hasn't happened. Maybe the Volvo inline diesel engine (5cyl) might be easier to fit than the 2.7 V6 if it has the same problems as fitting a V8
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #30
Big Daz
XW Fairmont V8

Both Volvo and Landrover diesels look okay, 136kw and 400NM for the Volvo and 140kw and 445NM for the Landrover... Just that the Tezza already runs the ZF gearbox that mates to the Landrover engine... it appears to be the easiest engine to fit... Guess they could fit a Mazda diesel to it... just hope the big fella gets an oil burner... would make it heaps cheaper to run...