Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Due to Australian demand, Ford to spend $250 million increasing Ranger & Everest production in Thailand

Ranger is turning into a bit of a blockbuster here.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/400166/f...ng-thai-plant/

Quote:
Rampant demand for the Australia-developed Ford Ranger across the Asia Pacific has seen the company commit $254 million to increase its Thai production capability.

Ford is adding production equipment and facilities to its Ford Thailand Manufacturing (FTM) plant to meet huge demand across our region, and to supplement the joint-venture plant with Mazda that currently makes the Ranger.

FTM was opened officially in May 2012 and builds passenger models such as the Fiesta and Focus for Australia, plus the EcoSport. The flexible plant can build up to six models simultaneously. Current installed capacity is 180,000 units per year. This will obviously grow.

ford-ranger

The Ranger is currently built at Ford’s joint venture facility with Mazda, AutoAlliance Thailand (AAT), and this will remain the company’s main production facility for Ranger in the Asia Pacific.

But, as Just Auto points out, AAT is forecast to operate at or near maximum capacity for the foreseeable future.

AAT produces the Ranger and Mazda BT-50. As we reported recently, though, speculation suggests Mazda might be considering a JV with Toyota and its HiLux to form the base for the next-generation BT-50. That’s pure educated speculation, however.

“This investment and new Ranger production will help us meet the extraordinary customer demand we’re experiencing for Ranger,” said Ford ASEAN president Mark Kaufman.

Why is this interesting? Ford’s Asia Pacific design and develop hub is in Melbourne, and the Ranger’s incubation program took place here.

Australia is one of the Ranger’s biggest markets. In Australia, it’s the clear number two seller behind the HiLux, and makes up about 40 per cent of Ford Australia’s total sales with a shade over 23,000 units delivered TYD.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Due to Australian demand, Ford to spend $250 million increasing Ranger & Everest production in Thaila

I was watching the Manheim vehicle auctions yesterday and the Rangers were being bid on pretty fiercely, it was crazy, they all sold and there was a big bidding war on every single one.

Very popular car.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Due to Australian demand, Ford to spend $250 million increasing Ranger & Everest production in Thaila

Have they made a fire extinguisher standard!!!!!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such a shame it wasn't built here in Australia :( :(.. What could have been.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

What I'd really like to see is somebody continuing to build a "proper" ute after GMH & Ford have gone?
Have a look at the amount Commie & Falcon utes still on the road now... They're everywhere!
What is going to replace them????
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I hope they plan on building more Wildtraks.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
zilo
BANNED

Good for the Thai workers I suppose.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
I hope they plan on building more Wildtraks.

Stuff Wildtracks, Navaras, B50's, SR5's etc!
I want a "car" based ute with a bit of ooomph!
Maybe a great opening for Chrysler to do a SRT V8 ute?
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
4 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Interesting they say their 'educated' guess is Mazda is leaving fords co venture an joining the hilix. Seems a lot of money to be shelling out to do that. They(ford and Mazda) spent a shed load upgrading the same facilities not long ago right?
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
What I'd really like to see is somebody continuing to build a "proper" ute after GMH & Ford have gone?
Have a look at the amount Commie & Falcon utes still on the road now... They're everywhere!
I was wondering the same thing.
Maybe GM might bring back the El Camino!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In my eyes the only proper ute is the Falcon , as it can actually carry proper loads and has a removable tub design. The Holden is in my eyes useless, with it's crappy IRS and lack of fit-out flexibility. WB was the last real holden ute.

The falcon ute will be replaced with import dual and single cab utes as currently seen in today. Like go on a construction site and you will be lucky to see a falcon ute there, all littered in huluxs and dual cab Utes. The humble falcon ute is slowly being phased out.

Personally, I will always use a falcon ute for work as nothing else comes close to it's sheer comfort, reliability, fuel economy with ecolpi and performance. But unfortunately it the end of an era of when falcon utes were king and tradie's no.1 go to. It will soon to be over.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #12
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I still believe there's a huge market for a performance based ute in Australia?
Someone build one and they WILL sell...
The overwhelming acceptance of the Mustang proves we are still revheads.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #13
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Real U.S Utes are coming with decent towing capacity.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I really wonder if I'm on the right forum at times. We finally have a market leading model and all so called "ford fans" can do is knock it down.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
The last thing we need on our roads are these yank monstrosities.
This what we need!! http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/f650-f750/
Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post

Yay lets just all become Americans

Why do some many people want our country to be just like the states ? We had a bloody good thing going for years with the Falcon and Commodore now we're happy just to sell our souls to the American multinational mass marketing machine. Loosing a part of our individuality now we're just another country buying the same mass produced product rather than being individual.

Rant over back on topic the ranger deserves to be where it is it's a solid competitor to the hilux.
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #17
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
I really wonder if I'm on the right forum at times. We finally have a market leading model and all so called "ford fans" can do is knock it down.
I think some "fans" are sore by the treatment ford aus gave their once hero product. Pulling out of V8's on the eve of the great race last year didn't win any "fans" either but that's a topic for another thread.....
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
If you have 140k to spend
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why stop there? You may as well buy one of these
Noooooooo. They steer like a small boat, are horribly rough to ride in, get lousy fuel consumption, have a very small cab and the auto version is rubbish
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #20
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Accolades to Ranger... And a top job by our own Aussie designers in making it truly world class!
It still AINT a bloody proper ute though!

My point is... I don't reckon people actually realise what a massive void is going to be left with the demise of both the Holden & Ford "sedan inspired" utility!!
The Great Aussie ute!.. A vehicle SO unique to our Australian motoring culture! SO suited to not just our vast country, or to our occupations, but to the great Aussie lifestyle and a large part of our heritage... ALL gone!
Maybe I'm just a silly old fool reminiscing? But I reckon there's going to be a massive number of guys like me that won't have a clue what to buy once "our" utes are gone forever?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6 View Post
Yay lets just all become Americans

Why do some many people want our country to be just like the states ? We had a bloody good thing going for years with the Falcon and Commodore now we're happy just to sell our souls to the American multinational mass marketing machine.
Since when were australian roads being overrun with American cars. Grand Cherokee is the only real popular US car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
But I reckon there's going to be a massive number of guys like me that won't have a clue what to buy once "our" utes are gone forever?
Weeeeel, you could buy a Commodore Ute from Seppoland and then re-convert it back to RHD.................
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/how-au...-up-1557594577
Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
My point is... I don't reckon people actually realise what a massive void is going to be left with the demise of both the Holden & Ford "sedan inspired" utility!!
actually, I think most people don't give a stuff or they'd be buying those utes now instead of Korean sedans and SUV's. While I respect your views, I think perhaps you've described yourself to a tee The generations that have grown up with "real Aussie cars" are in a minority now and buy with their head not their heart.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #24
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
actually, I think most people don't give a stuff or they'd be buying those utes now instead of Korean sedans and SUV's. While I respect your views, I think perhaps you've described yourself to a tee The generations that have grown up with "real Aussie cars" are in a minority now and buy with their head not their heart.
To be fair I think people are buying traditional Aussie cars, but they arnt built here... Rugged, durable, versatile are the traditional traits but the car makers started listening to the journos and enthusiasts and made everything low to ground and impractical. So all the traditional buyers moved on.

I was at the traffic lights yesterday and the old EL Falcon wagon had as much ground clearance as the Forester next to it. Now you have to fall into a Falcon to get in and clamber up to get out.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #25
FGX008

Quote:
Accolades to Ranger... And a top job by our own Aussie designers in making it truly world class!
It still AINT a bloody proper ute though!

The Great Aussie ute!.. A vehicle SO unique to our Australian motoring culture! SO suited to not just our vast country, or to our occupations, but to the great Aussie lifestyle and a large part of our heritage... ALL gone!
Maybe I'm just a silly old fool reminiscing? But I reckon there's going to be a massive number of guys like me that won't have a clue what to buy once "our" utes are gone forever?

I totally agree with you. This is why I have just bought a low mileage second hand Ford Falcon FG Mark 2 ute with only 27,000 Klms on the clock as my daily drive to meet my load carrying needs because there is nothing in the global car market that I see or know about that will provide the general car based load carrying capabilities that I need when Australian car production totally stops in 2017.

I think the second hand reconditioning/rebuild market for Australian made utes will steadily grow and fill a critical supply void to some degree. However eventually maybe Ford or Holden will realize that they will have to supply or develop a car based ute product and not something that isn't based on an SUV or small truck design. One can only hope!

Kind Regards, Brent
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 AM   #26
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[eQUOTE=tempted;5532295]The last thing we need on our roads are these yank monstrosities.[/QUOTE]you need to keep up. Big demand for them and their towing capacity way above the toys we currently have on offer!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #27
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
I will not buy an import because the way I see it, we have been robbed of our unique products which have a long and proud heritage in this country and have been left with no other viable option that even comes close to what we had.
I refuse to support manufacturers who are now shamelessly pushing this generic rubbish onto us which is built for next to nothing in Asian slum factories where there are no OH&S regulations and workers are paid with bags of rice, then offloaded to the Australian consumer for a hefty premium. They are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense.
Nice sentiment,
Better throw out most of your clothing, electronic goods
and even the computer you're posting on this forum with.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #28
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I will not buy an import because the way I see it, we have been robbed of our unique products which have a long and proud heritage in this country and have been left with no other viable option that even comes close to what we had.
I refuse to support manufacturers who are now shamelessly pushing this generic rubbish onto us which is built for next to nothing in Asian slum factories where there are no OH&S regulations and workers are paid with bags of rice, then offloaded to the Australian consumer for a hefty premium. They are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense.
Easy too see you've never seen a hi tech Asian factory. In fact that pathetic diatribe confirms you haven't been anywhere outside your back yard....
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #29
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Easy to see you don't know the meaning of sarcasm.
Non existent here so went with the flow. Bring on the real Utes or should that be 'trucks'
Old 04-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #30
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its obvious ladyboys work for peanuts, woops I mean penises.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post