Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Focused

Default Annual road worthy in NSW?

Hi all,
I've just moved to NSW and am curious to know, do I need to get a road worthy on my car every 12 months? It's a 2011 Focus with 38,000kms on it.

Whilst I agree with the idea of an annual road worthy, surely it's more appropriate once a car is over a certain age (5-7 years maybe?) I guess the policy was probably bought in last time Labor were in charge and thought they'd help out their automotive union buddies?

Thanks in advance.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Annual road worthy in NSW?

I think its anything over 3 years old needs a yearly check. It's been around as long as I can remember
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 2010 doesnt need one until next year, 5 years
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black F6 View Post
my 2010 doesnt need one until next year, 5 years
Great thanks.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
Hi all,
I've just moved to NSW and am curious to know, do I need to get a road worthy on my car every 12 months? It's a 2011 Focus with 38,000kms on it.

Whilst I agree with the idea of an annual road worthy, surely it's more appropriate once a car is over a certain age (5-7 years maybe?) I guess the policy was probably bought in last time Labor were in charge and thought they'd help out their automotive union buddies?

Thanks in advance.
No unions involved, just mechanics, and unlike the rippoff Victorian workshops our mechanics cant charge more than $45 (I think)
Old 13-01-2015, 12:56 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

5 years and I think the official fee is $34.10 actually.

Some workshops still do if for $25.

Will say on the rego renewal if an inspection is needed or not, and ask around for recommendations as to who to use, some are real tough and some are a little less stringent.

I think you only pay when they supply the slip, so if you take the car somewhere and they tell you you need a grand of repairs to pass just say OK and drive to another joint for a second opinion.

Just don't leave it till the last day!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 13-01-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #7
Focused

Great thanks for the info. Since my car is just over 3 years old I should be fine for a while.
Old 13-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You pay for the inspection, so if it fails you still pay

I don't see a problem with it. It helps to keep **** boxes off the road. I know there will always be some getting "phone worthies" and others driving un registered but if it gets just some of the cars with stuffed front ends and the likes repaired before they go back on the road I don't see any harm in it at all

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
You pay for the inspection, so if it fails you still pay

I don't see a problem with it. It helps to keep **** boxes off the road. I know there will always be some getting "phone worthies" and others driving un registered but if it gets just some of the cars with stuffed front ends and the likes repaired before they go back on the road I don't see any harm in it at all
I have taken a car to one place and they knocked me back because tyres were worn, seat belt had some fuzz and apparently my rotors were shot. The place just happens to sell tyres and brakes mind you.

All this from a visual 'inspection' - a walk around and quick sticky beak when it was parked.

I told him to quote it for me and it was something silly... I said that I will get it done elsewhere with a thanks and drove out. Didn't pay anything.

Took it to another place, tyres had 50% (fine) rotors were fine with meat left and he ran a lighter down the seat belt with the 2cm of offending fuzz and that was now fine.

Just be wary of the sharks that will try and gouge you for unnecessary stuff - I know of ladies at work that have been very badly taken advantage of financially when getting these inspections done.

Old 13-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

I think you only pay when they supply the slip, so if you take the car somewhere and they tell you you need a grand of repairs to pass just say OK and drive to another joint for a second opinion.

Just don't leave it till the last day!
They are supposed to fill out a white slip(fail) so if you then shop around and the place you get it from has a history of being easy, you can expect a visit from the inspectors.

Best tip is good tyres and a clean tidy vehicle. They are less likely to be as picky.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that any workshop that charges less than 3/4 hr labour isn,t checking properly considering the time to check all moving parts,removing wheels to check rotor condition and pad wear,and removing brake drums to check lining thickness and drum diameters.PS i also think that some low mileage vehicles are in better condition than a 2 Y.O that has done over 100k and probably has worn out brakes and tyres yet doesn,t require a check because it is less than required age.PPS in Tassie aren,t even required for Rego transfer,should see some of absolute Sxxxheaps driving around here.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have taken a car to one place and they knocked me back because tyres were worn, seat belt had some fuzz and apparently my rotors were shot. The place just happens to sell tyres and brakes mind you.

All this from a visual 'inspection' - a walk around and quick sticky beak when it was parked.

I told him to quote it for me and it was something silly... I said that I will get it done elsewhere with a thanks and drove out. Didn't pay anything.

Took it to another place, tyres had 50% (fine) rotors were fine with meat left and he ran a lighter down the seat belt with the 2cm of offending fuzz and that was now fine.

Just be wary of the sharks that will try and gouge you for unnecessary stuff - I know of ladies at work that have been very badly taken advantage of financially when getting these inspections done.
I didn't say the system was fool proof, or wasn't open to a few opportunistic operators but as a whole its not a bad system

Bill, Bob & Ben's Tyre's brakes and suspension you went to should have written you out a white slip (failure) I suspect he new he was shonky and giving you a failure for something that clearly isn't leaves the inspection station open to a "Please explain your over zellious inspections) I've had one of these when I had my shop but it was easily explained, I've had plenty more get rejected only to then shop it around and the inspector pay them a visit only to have their car defected and the other shop have their own please explain, in some cases they got a warning in others they got a little holiday from writing regos (word travels fast when your on a strip that has a number of mechanics)

Old 13-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Are you bringing your vehicle interstate? If so, you might still need a Pink slip part of the first time registration in NSW. Pretty sure I needed one on the Falcon I bought in Victoria that was brand new but I could be wrong. Worth checking.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your changing from VIC to NSW rego you will need a BLUE slip

its basically a pinkslip roadworthy with an vehicle ID check as well

3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't lived in NZ for years but I always liked the independent testing stations.
not sure of their cost, but you know they wont fail you to make extra cash

http://www.vtnz.co.nz/services/wof?g...3TdBoC1q3w_wcB
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
Lunch
Wait, what?

This is a great idea and should be introduced in Victoria.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I think that any workshop that charges less than 3/4 hr labour isn,t checking properly considering the time to check all moving parts,removing wheels to check rotor condition and pad wear,and removing brake drums to check lining thickness and drum diameters.PS i also think that some low mileage vehicles are in better condition than a 2 Y.O that has done over 100k and probably has worn out brakes and tyres yet doesn,t require a check because it is less than required age.PPS in Tassie aren,t even required for Rego transfer,should see some of absolute Sxxxheaps driving around here.
Time is not a factor. It's a set fee whether the inspection takes 20 min or 2hrs.

Old 13-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #18
Focused

Quote:

I will be, thankyou. I plan to head down to the RTA shortly and start the paperwork rolling...

Quote:
This is a great idea and should be introduced in Victoria.
I'd agree that the annual roadworthy is a good idea, although only on cars older than 5 or so years (which does seem to be RTA's policy).

Last edited by Focused; 13-01-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 13-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

If memory serves, it is not as involved as a full blue slip, I had one done when I swapped an engine and the guy tried to charge me the full rate. The ID check is a lower fee. This was several years ago now but perhaps if you come from a state that doesn't do regular inspections a full blue slip is needed?

The RMS site has all this info broken down into each type and price.

Old 13-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #20
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Time is not a factor. It's a set fee whether the inspection takes 20 min or 2hrs.
So you reckon a mechanic is going to spend 2 hours to gross
Less than $40 yeah I bet
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If memory serves, it is not as involved as a full blue slip, I had one done when I swapped an engine and the guy tried to charge me the full rate. The ID check is a lower fee. This was several years ago now but perhaps if you come from a state that doesn't do regular inspections a full blue slip is needed?

The RMS site has all this info broken down into each type and price.
An engine swap blue slip is just an ID check on the engine in the vehicle, but an unregistered vehicle blue slip (an interstate car is classed as unregistered) is the full road worthy pinkslip inspection + ID check

Quote:
I think that any workshop that charges less than 3/4 hr labour isn,t checking properly considering the time to check all moving parts,removing wheels to check rotor condition and pad wear,and removing brake drums to check lining thickness and drum diameters.PS i also think that some low mileage vehicles are in better condition than a 2 Y.O that has done over 100k and probably has worn out brakes and tyres yet doesn't require a check because it is less than required age.PPS in Tassie aren't even required for Rego transfer,should see some of absolute Sxxxheaps driving around here.
In NSW the inspection does not involve checking brake condition so pad thickness rotor thickness drum and lining thickness arn't checked, (or at least it didnt when I was doing them back in the late 90's) it simply checks performance via a brake performance inertia meter

Last edited by The Yeti; 13-01-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 13-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if brake condition doesn,t matter I don,t suppose ball joints and tierod ends about to fall apart are classed as important either
Old 13-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
So if brake condition doesn,t matter I don,t suppose ball joints and tierod ends about to fall apart are classed as important either
I don't see where anyone said that brake condition doesn't matter, when a car is on a hoist, suspension, pads, exhaust, underbody etc can be checked.
Old 13-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #24
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I don't see where anyone said that brake condition doesn't matter, when a car is on a hoist, suspension, pads, exhaust, underbody etc can be checked.
Yeti said brake condition didn,t matter as long as they passed an inertia test which they would do even if they were worn below acceptable tolerences
Old 13-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #25
Focused

I've just got back from the RTA and changing the license seems easy but the rego sounds painful. Are there any problems keeping the car rego'd in Victoria whilst living in NSW?
Old 13-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #26
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not a big deal at all

if the car is safe, book it in for a blue slip then organise your greenslip and pay the rego and its all sorted

I used to love it when guys would try to get you to rush a pink slip when it was 89 days out of rego, I'd be paying the few dollars more for the blue slip and getting a full 12 months rego rather than paying the rego at nearly 3 months out and only getting 9 drivable months for the same rego fee

Old 13-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #27
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So if brake condition doesn't matter I don,t suppose ball joints and tierod ends about to fall apart are classed as important either
Steering and suspension is VERY much as part of the inspection, just because the brakes aren't disassembled doesn't mean they arn't checked.

Its just that good pads and rotors / drums and linings doesn't mean the breaks will perform satisfactorily, and I can tell you if an inspector puts his foot down during the brake test and hears / feels metal to metal or a horrid shudder something will be said to the owner, the inspector CAN say that the vehicle isn't safe to drive and have it towed from his / her workshop if need be

I did this on a ZH Fairlane once that had 2 broken steering box mounting bolts

I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and that I was a FXXXXX n CXXX and so on. but I didn't want that car to share the same road as my family until it was roadworthy

Old 13-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yeti said brake condition didn,t matter as long as they passed an inertia test which they would do even if they were worn below acceptable tolerences
I can assure you that pad thickness and rotor wear are checked, and a road test for the handbrake (although perhaps not to your seemingly high tolerance) along with ball joints, tie rods, oil leaks, exhaust system and so on ........ but they are looked at whilst up on a hoist............ Been there, seen that!

Workshops that are really picky will fail you for things like torn seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
but the rego sounds painful. Are there any problems keeping the car rego'd in Victoria whilst living in NSW?
The only painful part is paying our rego Fees.

The Ute in my Avatar was transferred from Qld 8 months ago, needing a Blue slip (Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection) The entire process from inspection to Rego took all of a day and a $60 fee............
would've been quicker but I had shopping to do as well
Old 13-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
So you reckon a mechanic is going to spend 2 hours to gross
Less than $40 yeah I bet
That's not what I said. The inspection is a set fee. It has nothing to do with how long the inspection takes.

The current fee is $37.40 for a light vehicle. The fee is set by the RMS.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...andinspections

You implied in your previous post that if they don't charge at least 3/4 hr labour that they are not doing the inspection properly.

Time is an irrelevant factor in the fee. It is a set fee and that's that. I mentioned 2 hrs for arguments sake.

Some places charge $35 even because thay can't be bothered with the change, some the 'correct' fee and NRMA members get a discount and only pay $20 or something similar.

Old 13-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
An engine swap blue slip is just an ID check on the engine in the vehicle, but an unregistered vehicle blue slip (an interstate car is classed as unregistered) is the full road worthy pinkslip inspection + ID check
Thanks for clearing that up.