Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

Default Why did you choose your car?

So I'm reasonably new here and we are all here because we like/love our Fords.
But I'm wondering what made you choose YOUR car?

There are people on here that have all sorts from new GT's to old Mustangs, little Focus turbos, Cortinas, Mondeos, Territories and even Festivas.

So why did you decide on that model?
What attracted you to it? Why by a new Falcon when for the same money you can get a classic Falcon that will go up in value? Or why by and old Falcon when for the same cash you can get a brand new one with all the go fast bits and handling?

I chose my car because I have wanted one since I was 6, the old man loved them and got me into them and I finally had enough cash and found a good original example.

Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
SuspectEB

haha, mines bad. I could not afford a nissan or Toyota that I liked. E series Falcon was the next best thing. at 1/4th the price, with a 5 speed. bargin. Loved E series fords ever since.
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

The EA was my first car and as an 18 year old, it looked like the right car for my price range. In 2002, E-series were still worth something and I was finding an EB had a price premium over the EA but Ghias were worth a lot more than GLs. In the end it came down to choosing between a very clean EB1 GL or an equally good condition EAII Ghia. Quite an easy choice, I went the Ghia! With a mint condition interior, low kms, body in very good shape, paint pretty much perfect (unfortunately didn't stay that way) and the fact it drove very well, it's been a great car still doing a good job 8 years later.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a little turbo focus person and I chose it because it's fun, nimble, unique, fun, fun, fun
Old 28-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what made me choose my current car? or what made me choose all my cars?

I am going to assume you mean current which is an XR6 T heres why : My father has had fords for as long as I can remember and the straight six has been bomb proof and I aspired to own one, I then discovered turbochargers (at the age of around 12) and at that point it became a life goal to own a turbocharged straight 6 Falcon as I knew then what is apparent today - and that is they would go like stink I was looking into turbocharging an AU XR6 that I owned with VCT then Ford announced the mighty BA the looks of the thing the fact it was turbo six that was it I had to own one but sadly at the time I wasn't financial enough to purchase a new one so I got one secondhand.

My wife after seeing how ballistic turbocharged cars are decided she wanted one as well so she has an XR5 that I have slipped on more than one occasion and said is mine straight 5 cylinder turbocharged in something that weighs slightly more than a flys fart. she loves it as do I

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
StrokedXT
Banned

My xr6turbo - needed a reliable daily driver that had some grunt and was fairly cheap to modify and have always had a falcon of some type in the line up

My XT - Ford style from Australias muscle car era and different to all the xw xys around, that and i regretted selling my xw i had when i was younger

Mrs Fiesta - Small, Cheap with a ford badge
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Simple... i fell in love with it...
Old 28-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
glavas

i have a e2 maloo because there the best ute in the world and i love v8s and utes as all real man should!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I didnt choose my TE it choose me. I wasnt looking for another car i only had my XR6 12mths, and see the TE in the street, went and had a look next day it was mine.
Old 28-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
TurboMad
Starter Motor

I get paid a car allowance for a work car. I can have anything up to 6 cyl.
I test drove an SIDI SV6 Commodore and didn't like it, so pulled into the Ford dealership and drove an XR6 Turbo, and fell in love!
Now I have had my black XR6T for 4 months and love it even more than when I first got it.

Previously I had a 2008 Aurion SX6 and before that lots of Holdens each for a couple of years only.
Mostly they were all good cars but this Ford is the most exciting for a long time.
Old 28-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Am a turbo man, didn't want a barge, wanted something smaller and nimble and wanted something more driver orientated within a budget.
Old 28-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
dishpig
Only an xr6...

For me I needed a ute for work and wanted something different to all the BA's and BF's you see everywhere on the road nowadays, so decided to get an AU and fell in love with the shape and the way it drove immediatly

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
wonk123
Starter Motor

I bought my xy in 1983 after reading a reprint of the phase 3 wheels article where the speedo was on 140mph!
wonk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
Kryton

I chose my BA because of the price.
It was just $12650.
The same car with the same Km's at any car yard was $21000+ at that time.

I was looking at AU III XR8's, BA 5.4L XT's, AU LTD's and the likes.
The one i got was just an I6 Fairmont but i have been very happy with both the comfort levels and also the power the DOHC engine puts out.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I had wanted an XR6 BA ever since my mate got an XT GT fakie. When the money became available, I went down to the dealer and priced up a few. Nothing was quite what I wanted. Drove plenty of cars. Then I spotted a black XR6, "just in" with 88k on the clock, premo sound and dead sexy. Had to have. Knocked a bit off the price, signed the papers, drove out that day. Was in love ever since till some scum knocked it off....
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
CFOUR
The Destroyer

mine was black and had a v8.
Old 28-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #17
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I chose my BF Turbo because its reliable, easy to get power out of, refined and can carry 4 adults in comfort. Great at the track and great as a daily

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
daz69zb
Starter Motor

I bought my 1969 zb fairlane because I liked the car, new most of its history & couldn't find or afford an xw-xy in the same condition. I bought my 1966 xp falcon because i like the model & it was too good to pass up (1 owner with 65,000 orginal miles) and the Territory was based on the size, shape and price (young family) so basically all purchased based on looks/price.
daz69zb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
FPV70

My Panelvan waited for me. My Wife and I were looking for houses and she saw the PV and pointed it out to me. When I asked if I could buy it, she said no. Later that night she said if it was still there in 6 months time, I could make an offer on it. 6 months went by, she reminded me of it, we went to the house it was at, asked if they were interested in selling it, they said yes and the rest is history.
Old 28-04-2010, 05:10 PM   #20
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cause i was an idiot and didnt shop around
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car I drive is a trusty and tired mega-high mileage AUII Fairmont. Bought it brand new, ordered it with Limited Slip Diff and Heavy Duty tow pack, been basically towing horses with it ever since. Just a fantastic and rugged car that never lets me down. Its also the car Ive owned the longest.

Bought it as I have always had Fords including quite a few Falcons and I needed something great for long trips, comfortable and can tow - Falcon it is! I have been looking around for something to replace it, had my heart set on a new FG Falcon station wagon but I need to look at Plan B now. In the end when I do get a new car, Il probably still keep the Fairmont in the shed or something, Im very attached to it and its worth nothing anyway.

Weve bought a few Fords for my wife over the years, she recently got a silver Fiesta LX which is a fantastic little car, we traded a Ford Escape in on it. She has now become a big Ford fan too.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

I liked my brothers lol.
It is P-Plate friendly, but still goes alright and I love the look of the EF/EL Xr's

Oh, and it was also only $4000. And have only spent about $2000 all up (cosmetic and mechanical) to make it what it is now.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cos it does big skid's.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #24
Falcman0o7
Banned

I chose my first falcon because it was a ford. Dad loved em and uno the rest. I did however buy a VB commodore to see why my mates liked em and arrr...F.....ed that off and soon jumped into another FALCON!

UP THE MIGHTY FALCONS!!!!!!!!!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #25
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I went from a Subaru Liberty wagon to the AU2 I have today. The subaru craps on the AU by way of refinement and reliability, but I have built up my AU to handle and go 5 times harder than the subaru did. Would I do it again? No. Probably spend the money on a Liberty GT or Audi and not have the farting about.

I chose the AU mainly due to the extra room for traveling interstate with. My mum needed to do some interstate trips often. So I got it mainly for those duties. Now she has bought a Toyota Kluger Grande to do those duties. Carries 5 people much more comfortably than the Subaru did. The Subaru was always awesome for carrying stuff though. Just wish it had more go.

I'll never sell my AU now though. I have spent far too much on it to just settle for 20% of what it owes me. :P

If anything, I'll buy another car as a daily as keep the AU for weekend fun.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red AU XR8 220 - from new, ride, leather, handling, economy with grunt - what more could a Ford nut wan't.

Started off with an XY Fairmont, then an XY GT, XC two door, EA Ghia, EL XR8 and this is the one I have kept the longest and will probably not sell.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #27
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Started with my Dad's LTD when I was a kid. I bought a DA LTD, then an AU Fairlane, then had a BF XT, and a BF MkII as repmobiles, and when I got another job, I bought an AU to get me through (which I'm now trying to sell!). I bought a BA Fairmont Ghia two weeks ago, fiddling with it every day. And the wife has an SY Territory Ghia. So a few Fords, I tend to go for lux than poke. Would love an XR or FPV if the money stretched far enough though!
Old 28-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Cos it does big skid's.....
hahahaha
Old 28-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #29
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Says it all really.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #30
billo

i bought my ba 2003 model because
i decided we needed a safer car
car prior was a 98 1.8 ltr lazer
that was written off with 1 swift hit in the ***
prior to that id had a commodore and was after the com,fort and reliability a large car can give
my wifes mum has a g6e and this model swayed me to ford
i just had to have a ba as it was the style i love
im now sitting on a stock xt with plans of making it a custom daily fuel friendly and easy on the eye,sadly yhte plans i have for it wont return in $$ at sale time so i might just havta keep her well loved
so far by far its the most easy going comfortable reliable car ive had
id go as far as saying im now a ford fan...
take care
bil
16" rims(gay 1s)
..this is my 1st ever ford.plans to style a wee bit...
billo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post