Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Question Lead Additive

Hey all, I drive a 82 Meteor which is still running on leaded petrol. However I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find lead additive in my area. Since I'm not the only one out there who owns a pre 86 car, I was just wondering what products people use and where they purchase them from?

Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lead Additive

technically speaking there is no such thing as "lead" additive... upper cyclinder lube or similar is/should be available at any servo or car parts place.

The other option is to keep driving until the engine needs a rebuild and then redo the head with hardened valve seats...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

And if for some reason you actually can't find it wherever you are (which would be good to know), then most if not all auto parts stores should carry large bottles of it, you'd just have to measure it each fill.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use te Valvemaster in the corty, made by Castrol & its cheap & treats 300 litres per bottle. I did use the Caltex one that I found at the Caltex servo but it only treats 100 litres per bottle.

I buy the Valvemaster at Repco but I've never had a drama being able to get lead replacement at any parts shop or servo.

The lead replacement stuff is the cheap option as re doing the head may cost more than the car is worth.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I used a white bottle of stuff from supercheap, was pretty big, perhaps 1 litre. Morleys or something that starts with l ? Upper cylinder lube was its name.

There are kits I've seen that plumb it into the fuel line, don't know how good they are in terms of safety or correct dosage.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
rushing on acid

those moreys kits from memory are called flash lube and were fitted to earlier lpg converted cars.
rushing on acid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Moreys that's it ;). Ran that through a worked Sprite for years with no ill effects.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Gavin Thomas
* 1973 ZF Fairlane 500 *

Your wasting your money if you pay to put anything other than "standard" unleaded in a POS Meteor....

As it has an alloy cylinder head, it will already have hardened valve seats from factory - proberly stelite valve seats or such. In any case there will be an insert of some type of hardened material - & in any alloy head, with most being of a suitable type for unleaded fuel use.

Enquire with a couple of engine machine shops / cylinder head shops for confirmation with your vehicle.

Even if not, then as others here have mentioned, do what the majortiy are doing & just run the fuel without additives, & then worry about options if or when the seat wear may cause valve recession.....

Don't cause any further polution from your "Ford" than the minimum needed whilst burning up the precious oil resorces of our planet.

Cheers.

* 2023 Camry Hybrid

* 2004 Camry, still going good

* 1973 ZF Fairlane 500

Previous Classic Fords

* 1960 XK Deluxe Sedan

* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Partially agree with above, seeing as its an alloy head you can run fuel without the upper cylinder lubricant.
But id probably run 95 octane as leaded fuel had higher octane than regular unleaded which it may ping on.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Flash lube value saver Lead replacement is what I had been using, however in Pakenham (vic) I have been having troubles trying to find it in large quantities. All I could find were these single dose squirt bottles. Now it seems to be labelled as LPG/CNG Protection which I'm not entirely sure is the same stuff.

I don't often walk into Caltex as I'm always using BP, but I'll have a look. The valvemaster stuff I have also seen, but again I've only seen it in small bottles.

Thanks for the help guys.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Phil B
Clevo power!

I get the Moreys stuff from my local Autopro, they always have a range of similar products. Had no problems in my Clevo. It's a good excuse to get an engine rebuild past the Mrs though: "If we get the engine rebuilt we wont need to keep buying this stuff!"

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your car should be ok without it jap cars were ready for unleaded long before Australian cars ( meteors were brought into Australia in CKD form and assembled here) check with an engine rebuilder and you'll find out if the valve seats are ok for unleaded ( hardened seats). if not install a flashlube kit, LPG installers swear by it . you just use ordinary petrol and top up the flashlube bottle (a bottle full lasts a few tanks )

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go to a LPG installer they sell it in 5L bottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82 View Post
Flash lube value saver Lead replacement is what I had been using, however in Pakenham (vic) I have been having troubles trying to find it in large quantities. All I could find were these single dose squirt bottles. Now it seems to be labelled as LPG/CNG Protection which I'm not entirely sure is the same stuff.

I don't often walk into Caltex as I'm always using BP, but I'll have a look. The valvemaster stuff I have also seen, but again I've only seen it in small bottles.

Thanks for the help guys.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Any autobarn can order the Flashlube stuff in 5L quantities. Ive got about 5 bottles of it in that size on the shelf.