Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Have you gone soft? Or just grown up?

Over the years I've always owned cars with an emphasis on performance.

Owned 8 V8s over the years, all modded from cams to superchargers, some real nice machines, owned more than one at a time for periods. Also owned 2 modded xr6 turbos, modded i6's, few sporty coupes, entered car shows, attended drags etc etc.

But just recently sold off the Ls1, sold the modded i6, first time in about 15 years that I have not owned a V8 powered car.

I bought a ford territory loving the size, comfort, practicality and versatility of the vehicle. Have not looked back nor missed the v8 rumble. If anything I feel a car with an exhaust is a bit embarrassing to drive.

I still have a modded xr6t but I have not driven it all year and it's for sale. Don't buy stuff for it anymore, don't read much about them and rarely even start it. It has not been on the road this year.

I look forward to driving the territory and just don't miss the other cars at all

Have I gone soft? Or just grown up? Will the interest for performance cars return?

What is your gone soft/grown up story? What did you sell to then buy a "soft" car
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 01:00 AM   #2
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Have you gone soft? Or just grown up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

Owned 8 V8s over the years, all modded from cams to superchargers, some real nice machines, owned more than one at a time for periods. Also owned 2 modded xr6 turbos, modded i6's, few sporty coupes, entered car shows, attended drags etc etc.

But just recently sold off the Ls1, sold the modded i6, first time in about 15 years that I have not owned a V8 powered car.

I bought a ford territory loving the size, comfort, practicality and versatility of the vehicle. Have not looked back nor missed the v8 rumble. If anything I feel a car with an exhaust is a bit embarrassing to drive.
Have I gone soft? Or just grown up? Will the interest for performance cars return?

What is your gone soft/grown up story? What did you sell to then buy a "soft" car
Ha- never owned a v8. When single and young, had the modded 4s with spitty cams, then modded Cortina TE alloy head, big valves, high compression-actually dangerous power for brakes/handling. Actually both cars were dangerously overpowered, and the 4 cylinder had a massive oversteer problem, remember returning from a midnight oil concert, racing a v8 onto mulgrave freeway onramp and in front, revs coming to 4000 in 4th (round 100) and into cam hit accelerator as it hit peak of cam at 4500 in wet just coming onto straight, not very pretty let me tell you, 360 and a further 180 and up the grass freeway embankment going some 100kph....those were the days -crap rubber, crap brakes, crap handling but raw hp...

Then- married, conservative cars- little festiva, then camry v6, now Honda Euro manual. House paid off, older kid in Uni, so I guess time to go back to my roots.

For me-now is the time to live-first of the last and best v8s, fgx xr8 manual, just getting an intercooler, leaving exhaust stock, but will put in a brass bypass valve to open when I want noise-when work and need to appear conservative will close it. That's why I have now gone the FGx Xr8-is conservative in smoke, no big boy racer spoilers, and I can work the crap out of it in a sleeper way....

So yeah- my journey polar opposite to you- so bored of driving crap fridges with no grunt...only fun I get is driving euro in wet round corners and getting 4 wheel drifts...not the same as real grunt though

Everyones journey is different...just need to enjoy it while we can

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

43yo car person here, but never owned a performance car until recently.

Now I've got a 2006 BF FPV Tornado ute (ie F6). Absolutely loving the turbo 6, and having a blast driving this thing around. I'm hooked. I don't have the cash to buy another car right now, but I check the auction sites for an FG F6 ute regularly anyway.

Now I look at web sites of new Ford XR6 Turbos and HSV stuff to see what I might be buying secondhand in years time.

Damn sad that there won't be a choice of these cars in a few years, and in 10 years they'll all be history.

Obsessed about protecting my licence because I drive for a living (taxi driver). For me, it's not just a matter of not driving for a while, there are insurance issues and the matter of Dept of Transport denying me a taxi licence if I lose my driver's licence. Bugger.

Despite having an interest in performance cars I've only ever owned boring cars.

However, I haven't been up to any motorbike antics for years. I miss the social rides, riding along like it's a GP.

I've got an Aprilia SXV550 with all sorts of aftermarket stuff. It's been sitting inside the house for the two years that I've had it and I haven't even started the engine yet. I know how fast the SXVs are (sold my other one) and knowing just how quickly one could destroy my licence (and livelihood) I've been procrastinating in putting it on the road. Can't do track days because I work weekends.

At least I got to spend some time in the 90s and most of the 2000s doing fast stuff. I've had a few speeding tickets for 60 over the limit ($200 and 6 points). These days that would result in impounding of the vehicle and a court ordered suspension.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
If anything I feel a car with an exhaust is a bit embarrassing to drive.
That means no C63 for you than.

As far as I'm concerned you're never too old for a sweet sounding V8.

I will always have a V8 powered car in my garage until the day I leave this world.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 02:24 AM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I like my car, I miss having a V8. I'm hoping I will get another in the future, but we will see.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 02:53 AM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Closer to 50 than 40, and about to buy another V8, that will make it three V8's in my current fleet, a modded Boss 290 FPV GT 6 Speed manual, Big Block 460 powered XB Coupe 4 speed manual, and about to pick up a 351 XB manual for my daily driver, also have a 351 Fairmont project car and a V8 ute project which may soon be for sale.

So all up five V8's, I been driving V8's since I was 17, will always be driving them, and they are getting better, bigger and faster as I get older as I have more cash available

So everyone is different, some people do stuff to follow the Johnses other do it because they have a passion. No good lying on my death bed telling the grand kids about all the eco 4 cylinders I drove and the money I saved on fuel driving boring cars, life is too short to be boring.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Definitely gone soft.

Next car, Camry!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love my V8's That will never change......EVA!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if I'd classify it as going soft and much more like growing up, definitely. As we all age we have less testosterone flowing through our bodies and had many years of driving to see and understand the consequences of driving fast cars can sometimes bring. We understand risk with more detail and have a better respect for life. It's not that we don't enjoy fast cars or want to drive them like we did when we were young but we understand that it's not safe to do so on the street. Not to mention the antisocial stigma that is now attached to being a performance enthusiast (hoon).

I still drive my car with passion (WOT) at times but I'm very selective about where and when I do it to ensure the risk of being hurt or hurting someone else is greatly reduced. At this stage I can't see myself not having some sort of performance car in the future but you never know what the future holds. I have ordered a Wildtrak so I could be heading that way, lol. The plan for me is to keep the GT for now, drive it on the weekends and just stick with my daily to get me too and from work.

Can't also forget that people's interests and tastes change so there will be plenty who decide a fast car is no longer their interest and buy a boat to hit the water with the family rather to enjoy time together.

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.

Last edited by GTBenny; 26-03-2015 at 08:49 AM.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
XW-BAXR6T

Ive diffidently gone soft. almost 50 year old here & no more burnouts or dragging just plain cruizing at legal speeds. Gone are the days of blown up or shredded tyres from donuts skids etc & popping out rear axels from diffs. Where its 60k zone id be doing 58k

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
superyob
Banned

It's not about going soft or 'growing up'. It's just called change...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My definition of "going soft" isn't lowering horsepower, but the fact I now "can't be bothered" driving the old, interesting car because it's isn't as comfortable, can't demist the windscreen properly, doesn't have air conditioning, might breakdown, can't make it to the destination without being filled up twice, etc, etc.

When I was a younger man I always owned and drove only older cars just because they were interesting. It didn't phase me to drive them everywhere in all conditions. My best mate always had roadsters and convertibles and we always drove them rain, hail or shine and never with the roof up .. and our pillarless coupes and hardtops always driven with all the windows down.

This Saturday I'll guarantee that I wont drive my Javelin 160km to Melbourne inner suburbs to an event (and take the FG instead) because I'm too soft to be bothered with the Javelin's idocyncracies.

I have a convertible which is taking me forever to finish, and often I look at it and think why did I bother because I don't like sitting out in the sun .. what makes me think I like driving around in it all the time!?

Yes .. I'm soft in my old age.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It can be a bit hard to justify when you've grown up, got bills and school fees to pay, just because you had a V8 when you were 20.
I agree with the guys in their 50s, their spare money and time might mean they can rediscover their passion.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #14
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Going to drive Melbourne to Sydney today in the GT-E, can't think of a better car for the job.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think as you get older/more experienced the fun of a modded car for a daily drags a bit.

In saying that if you have the cash to do it right like some around here then no worries.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I think as you get older/more experienced the fun of a modded car for a daily drags a bit.

In saying that if you have the cash to do it right like some around here then no worries.
people have been gobsmacked about why I dont drive my cars. be honest just get bored of them. even it it had 600rwkw id still get bored of them.

You sort of just grow out of them. Id prefer a nice new prestige car than some modded up car
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will always love performance cars, but that doesn't mean I will always have one no matter what. It's one of those things that is nice to have, but I am not going to drown myself financially to get one. But I also want plenty of other toys, I am not someone who is satisfied with one performance car and nothing else.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #18
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I won't ever grow up, performance cars are too much fun, especially putting them through their paces on race tracks.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I still have a modded xr6t but I have not driven it all year and it's for sale. Don't buy stuff for it anymore, don't read much about them and rarely even start it. It has not been on the road this year.

I look forward to driving the territory and just don't miss the other cars at all

Territory is a great car to drive. To me, performance is not how fast it goes in a straight line but how it handles a typical curving road on everyday drives. I've owned two V8s and, while they were good, I'd prefer the Territory. And I still enjoy driving as much as I did in my 20s. Certainly haven't gone soft - my wife still keeps telling me to slow down and not go around corners so fast!

The only downside is the driving environment in Australia nowadays - nannied to death and driving skills of a lot of the population gone downhill. Cars are safer but driving more frustrating and risky. Get me back to Europe for one more fling where I can enjoy myself!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
snopony

I kinda went the opposite..... grew up with the old 8's.... they went....phase in between with children, houses.... then 23 years later when the opportunity came up, straight back to a 42 yr old clevo. The difference for me.. if it breaks down its a lot more effort to walk home than when i was 18, and I have bills to consider before throwing a wad of cash at a mechanic. Probably they might not seem so much fun for people as they get older not due to being soft, but so much more to consider than if you were younger.
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

This and other posts ring with me.

When I started out, pushbike, rich kids had good 10 speed racers, I got a normal bike modded to have 5 gears- always rocking up to school with greasy hands due to chain falling off.

Then second hand modded fords, non holistically modded, blown diffs, alternators crapping out due to revs and vibrations of modded rally motors- rocking up to Uni/then work with greasy hands.

So yes- the idea of getting a holistically well engineered reliable 380 rw kw odd (intercooler/conservative tune) in a manual that does not break down and can look "conservative" and not hoonish really appeals now.

I also agree, having a car like this- first priority is to not hurt anybody, avoid licence being stripped/car impounded, so it will be a case of being sensible, and picking the time and place to let it off the leash.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I`m thinking it might be more that life just changes in ways that make your priorities change, once you get a bit older and start burying people around you , the penny drops about life and what is important to you, and despite still winding the window down and getting a dopey smile on your face when a GT or or a hot 6 stops at the lights next to you................................ you now refrain from standing on the brake a bit harder and loading the engine up............................... thinking about the extra wear and tear on your corolla automatic with fluffy white pillows with tassels on the rear parcel shelf and color matched fluffy steering wheel cover.
I don`t know weather its getting soft or growing up , but getting old sucks in some ways and rocks in others.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #23
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Have you gone soft ? Or just grown up? Try Viagra.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
people have been gobsmacked about why I dont drive my cars. be honest just get bored of them. even it it had 600rwkw id still get bored of them.

You sort of just grow out of them. Id prefer a nice new prestige car than some modded up car
Buy a modern sportsbike
Old 26-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an older ride, something 60s/70s but modernise it, EFI conversion, coil on plug or wasted spark ignition system, A/C, 6sp manual, nice comfy seats, IFS, digital gauges etc.

Old school body but everything else is modern, turn key, away you go type stuff.

No BS hard to drive, can't drive it in X conditions, etc.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-03-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Have you gone soft ? Or just grown up? Try Viagra.
good idea, might stop me rolling out of bed .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I believe Im growing up.

It's less about what looks fully sick to my mates and the impression I wanted to make to total strangers, and more about what I want and need. Don't get me wrong I haven't completely turned into a cold fish either. I still love power and looks, but I have refined my tastes a bit more to suit my lifestyle without it completely dominating me the way it used to.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
good idea, might stop me rolling out of bed .
I don't think its designed to lever on bro
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #29
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me (and I am 33) at the moment its all about priorities... When I was younger and single I did the fast car thing and spent my whole life either at the Drifting, working on the cars or driving them.. spritedly... Now I have a wife and a young son.. as well as going through the process of building our first home together, means that high performance, modified cars are not the right thing at the moment... The wife knows my passion for cars but as a team we decided right now is not the best time for buying the GT I want...

I genuinly think as a "car guy" you never outgrow or go soft, you just sometimes have to put other things first...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #30
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience, having just sold my 460rwkw, mid 10s G6ET, It's all about trying something new. I'll never get over the power and acceleration of a car that fast. Having said that, I wanted a change and something a bit less serious.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post