Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Default ATT: Car Drivers should read

This may give some of you guys / girls a bit more insight into the life of a rider. And the many dangers we come across everyday. Its a bit long, but well worth the read.

I also posted this in the motorcycle section, but I thought it would be good to see in the pub. Might get a few more 'cagers' to have a look

hi all

came across this and i thought it made alot of sense.

I saw you, hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line. But, you didn't see me, put an extra $10 in the collection plate last Sunday.

I saw you, pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk.
But, you didn’t see me, playing Santa at the local mall.

I saw you, change your mind about going into the restaurant.
But, you didn’t see me, attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you, roll up your window and shake your head when I drove by.
But, you didn’t see me, driving behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you, frown at me when I smiled at your children.
But, you didn’t see me, when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you, stare at my long hair.
But, you didn’t see me, and my friends cut 10 inches off for Shave for a cure.

I saw you, roll your eyes at our leather coats and gloves.
But, you didn’t see me, and my brothers donate our old coats and gloves to those that had none.

I saw you, look in fright at my tattoos.
But, you didn’t see me, cry as my children were born and have their name written over and in my heart.

I saw you, change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere.
But, you didn’t see me, going home to be with my family.

I saw you, complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be.
But, you didn’t see me, when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you, yelling at your kids in the car.
But, you didn’t see me, pat my child’s hands, knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you, reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road.
But, you didn’t see me, squeeze my wife’s leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you, race down the road in the rain.
But, you didn’t see me, get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.

I saw you, run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time.
But, you didn’t see me, trying to turn right.

I saw you, cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in.
But, you didn’t see me, leave the road.

I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass.
But, you didn’t see me.
I wasn’t there.

I saw you, go home to your family.
But, you didn’t see me.
Because, I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker,.....
A person with friends and a family.
But, you didn’t see me.

THE BIKER

When you see us moving past you quickly:
Don't take offence or think we're trying to "show off". Ninety five percent of the time, we're trying to get out of your blind spot or taking ourselves out of a potential dangerous situation that has evolved around us.
Distancing ourselves from you does not mean we want to race, but that we're giving ourselves the edge we need at the moment.

When you hear our horn:
Don't take offence or think we're trying to aggravate you.
All we're doing is letting you know where we are in relation to you on the road, and we're more than likely aware of your inattentiveness to us while you're talking on a cell phone, eating, reading or involved in some other distracting aspect to
your driving. It's important to us, and you, that you know we're there.

When you hear our loud pipes:
Don't become angry and hostile toward us. Yes, some are quite loud, but for some, there's a purpose behind being loud. It's about letting you know we're close by and we're constantly hoping that our investment in this accessory will help save our lives. Our pipes are really not about our ego...it's a pride and personalization to our form of transportation.

When you see us in our clothes:

Don't become fearful of us or think us weird. Our leather jackets, chaps, gloves and boots are the barriers between loosing massive amounts of flesh should something cause us to go down...nothing more, nothing less. Safety
gear is paramount to our riding. We wear patches on our jackets, and pins on our vests. These are symbols of pride and honour within our group(s), individuals giving back to those who gave. These things bond us as a brotherhood and sisterhood among bikers. Not that we're better than anyone else, but that we have the same kind of nobility and pride in our accomplishments as you may have in the various aspects of your life. I guess one could say; our patches and pins are the decals and the bumper stickers of our involvement with society and the general public, of which we are very pleased to be a part of in our own little way.

When you see us in a restaurant:
You don't have to shield your child or feel intimidated. We have family, wives, husbands, children and loved ones too, just like you. We smile; we laugh and enjoy the moments we have. We are approachable, and would befriend you, if given the opportunity.

When you see us in a parking lot:

Don't convince yourself that we're there to "get you". More than likely, we just finished a long ride and are taking a break. Or, we may be meeting up with other riders for a charity run for young children, or another very worthy cause. We may just be admiring one another's bikes, sharing our pride with other brothers and sisters, just like you do with your personal vehicle.
It's what we do...it's a part of our lives, and we'd be more than welcome to share with you what riding a bike is all about...if you'd only ask.

When you see aggressive riding bikers:
Don't put us all in the same stereotypical category as those whose behaviour and actions would cause you to react in disgust and intolerance. Many of us do not agree with this style of riding either, and we know and understand that human nature tends to blend us all together as the "same group". Most of us don't want that title...and don't deserve it.

When you see a group of bikers on the roadways:
Give us the courtesy of sharing the road with you.
Please don't "move in" between several bikers in formation. This gets us very excited and nervous, especially when it's done with no due regard for our safety.
Provide us with your awareness of the fact that we are much more vulnerable than you. We don't want to challenge you, for all of us are wise enough to know...we'd lose that battle.

When you are turning left or entering a roadway/highway:
Look, then look again...and then one more time. For we can be easily hidden, and appear to be invisible by such things as a telephone pole, another vehicle, bright lights or the glare of the sun...or possibly, the beads hanging from your rear-view mirror, among numerous other items that are displayed there. If you see us flashing our lights at you or blowing our horn, we're only trying to ensure that you will see us before tragedy changes both our lives.

When you are behind us:
Please give us the room we need and don't tailgate us. If you hit us, we're going down...HARD! We don't want to play games with you, we just want to enjoy the ride and the fresh air, and experience that which many of you have never lived for. If we accelerate away from you, don't interpret this action as though we want to drag race you. We're only trying to take ourselves out of a bad situation if you insist on being too close.

When, and if, you experience road rage:
Don't take it out on us just because we're smaller than you and more vulnerable. Think about what you're doing and the end result that may become a reality. The consequences of your actions and choices could be very detrimental to our well being, our families, our children and our loved ones.
Yes, there are those that can tend to you off, however, rage towards them will not solve the issues, but accentuate them. Nine out of ten bikers will do everything they can to take themselves out of that situation without causing you or them harm.

When you have an opportunity to talk to us:
You'll discover, outside any influenced or stereotypical mindset you may have, that we are just as human as you are, just with different interests and toys. Many of us would give you the shirt off our back if it would tend to brighten your day or console you in some way. We're really no different...and we drive cars, trucks and vans too. So, meet us and greet us...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that you'll be met with open arms.

Thank You for attempting to understand.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very very nice. i congratulate whoever wrote that. i always look out for bikers as i love all bikes (ill hopefully buy a monsterdark this year)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
andrewts
White Car Driver

That's an eye opener.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I never realised how vulnerable a rider was until my old man got his motorcycle licence quite some time back...

I found the more people around you that ride the more alert and aware you are of them when driving
Old 23-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
SVTVNM
Guzzler

That is great!
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Well said.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Boosh Brus

:

In my opinion, riding makes you a much better driver
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Well said......
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
discus177

Great thread, should be a sticky! *bowes
-4.1L
-Extractors, 2.5' Exhaust - Black Interior
-Resprayed original Pine & Lime, GT Blackouts!

1994 Mazda 323 Astina Hardtop-2.0L V6 24 Valve DOHC
-Lowered
-Sports Exhaust :
discus177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by discus177
Great thread, should be a sticky! *bowes
I was thinking that too, its a real eye opener, and I ride lol

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry_buckle
:

In my opinion, riding makes you a much better driver
Yeah, always thought that part of getting your car licence, you should have to get your bike licence first...

Good read none-the-less.
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Edit: Removed in order to keep the peace.....

Last edited by 05MkIIFutura; 23-01-2008 at 03:43 PM.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Lets not turn this thread into a debate.

Edit: Thanks 05MkIIFutura.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 23-01-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

You forgot to mention that you should NEVER challenge a bike rider to a game of pinball.

Most, if not all, bike riders have cat like reflexes.
Old 23-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #15
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I have meet at a few bikers and been to a biker bar. They are nice people. Show them respect and they will respect you.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
boss 300

yep,i agree,learn to ride,drive a b double,and than learn to drive a car.
Old 23-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #17
boss 300

and if you got fear of driving;take public transport.....

Last edited by wulos; 23-01-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary pottymouthing
boss 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmmm, I've ridden a few bikes in my time (20 odd years and never been hit), both road bikes and trail bikes, still have an old vintage I ride now and then.
I find it's safer to ride like I'm a car not a bike.
That is I sit behind a car in the same lane so they can see me in their rear view mirror, that way you don't need to worry about the so called blind spot that riders say they're always trying to get out of.

As for the noisy exhausts, well you can't hear them from a car when the bike is behind you with the window up, A/C and radio on, you only hear it when thay blast past at max rev's going between the lanes at the lights.
If bikes didn't weave in and out of traffic and just go with the flow car drivers would be aware they're there, not just suddenly appearing out of no where. Lets face it, the sports bikes are built to go fast and thats what they do. I car driver pulling out from a stop sign isn't expecting a missile coming down the road.

Don't take this as bike bashing 'cause it's not and as I said I used to ride and still do occassionally but I rather come home in one piece after work because no matter how careful you are it just takes a minor bump to put you in casualty.
Old 23-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
bo0

yep that is a great read... so true though, there is a LOT to consider and be aware of when riding, no doubt.

Quote:
yep,i agree,learn to ride,drive a b double,and than learn to drive a car.
Ha, yes! You see all the forms of road disrespect from others... would really make you appreciate the road around you.

Daily/Project:
'92 EBII Fairmont 5L Build

Old Rides:
'01 AUII XR6
'97 EL GLi
'90 EA S-Pack
bo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #20
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

very good read, should become a sticky.

should open up a few peoples eyes who dont ride i hope.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked the first one best...

Great post. Hats off to ya...

I will say though that those old TAC commercials about riders always stuck in my mind, plus a person from Uni years back said that riding his own bike has made him far more considerate when he's in his car and there are bikies near him.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

If you ride and waeve in and out of lanes, you don't indicate and you fly past cars doing high speed. Don't expect to be seen, expect to be hit.

As a rider you choose your fate.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #23
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't like the bikes that have an exhaust that is way too load. A loudish exhaust that can readily be heard is one thing, but a lot of the Harleys are deafening.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #24
dave289
Banned

There are too many morons on the road these days to be riding a bike.Riding a bike on the sydney streets these days is eqivilant to playing russian roulette,only a matter of time before you here the bang,if your lucky.

and i do enjoy a good ride ,its such a good feeling being on a bike,but i enjoy my life and limbs a bit more.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
If you ride and waeve in and out of lanes, you don't indicate and you fly past cars doing high speed. Don't expect to be seen, expect to be hit.

As a rider you choose your fate.
Got to agree there. Most motorcyclists are pretty good and I respect them, move over where I can. But then you get the heroes as mentioned above, they get hit and blame the car driver.
How many times coming home on the Monash FWY do I blink and BANG there goes a motorcyclist doing 150+km/h cutting through traffic? One even over took me in my own lane.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #26
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
There are too many morons on the road these days to be riding a bike.Riding a bike on the sydney streets these days is eqivilant to playing russian roulette,only a matter of time before you here the bang,if your lucky.

and i do enjoy a good ride ,its such a good feeling being on a bike,but i enjoy my life and limbs a bit more.
I have to agree with Dave here. I am a bike rider who rides to work at least 3 days a week. My ride takes me from the heights on North Western Sydney to the CBD, a trip of 80 k's. I have never been hit or had an accident in the last 2 years, but I ride like I drive. I sit in traffic and don't split, or act like a tool.

I do see in my travels and more so from the younger guys on P's and L's who split moving traffic and have no regard to other road users. Same as many young drivers. I guess these are the same people who log onto bike forums and abuse "Cagers" for not seeing them and getting involved in an accident.

I guess it is common today for people not have a hard look at themselves and how they behave on the roads. They are very quick to blame drivers and riders.

As a rider if I have a close call, I look at what happened and try and avoid getting the to the same situation. Where I position myself on the road, how I ride my bike, helps me avoid getting into a nasty situation.

I still love to fang and the Blackbird has hit $2.50 on Putty Rd more than once but I am selective on where and when I open up the throttle. The last time I lost points on my licence was back in 92.

Just my views as a Car and Bike nut.

Cheers
Mark

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #27
gozza

I am a bike fan - I have not ridden on the road but i am well aware of Motorcyclists and respect them.

I find that passage rather annoying to read. Ive seen plenty of Motorbike riders doing the wrong thing. I work on a service road next to the pacific highway and hear and see bikes doing rather excessive speeds. Which doesn't actually bother me, in fact i like to see it.. But when this passage reads like the Poor Little Biker man i can't swallow it

People tend to be stupid on roads... Your unlucky if you get hit my someone becuase if it wasn't a bike it would be a car. You know the risks

Last edited by gozza; 24-01-2008 at 11:41 AM.
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
Casablanca
carburettor

touching stuff mate but then again the same thing can be said about cars to motorcycles, now don't kill me just yet as i ride a motorbike too
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #29
theunfairadvant

Thanks for all that as it was a great deal of info on riders.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #30
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca
touching stuff mate but then again the same thing can be said about cars to motorcycles, now don't kill me just yet as i ride a motorbike too
Yes it is a two way street, this is what I wanted to say earlier but removed for the fact that my views have a habit of starting heated arguments.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote