Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
66 coupe
around the place

Default Traffic Infringement - Can they fine you for an offence over 3 months ago?

I just received an infringement in the mail, my mrs was driving the XR6 and got caught doing about 6k's over the limit.
The offence happened late october last year, yet the fine was issued late feb this year.
Does anyone know what the rules are here - can they fine you for something that happened 3, 6, 12 or more months ago?

Old 03-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

as far as i'm aware, you can receive an infringement that was dated no longer than 12 months ago.

edit: just seen, you're from perth.. might be the same there too ?
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Cooper69S

I heard there was a major backlog of fines they were working through... I got done last year 6th October. 90 in 80 zone just out of Bunbury. I saw the camera flash, but thought I got away with it when the fine never turned up but it came in the mail 2 weeks ago... 4 months late but oh well...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
BLDNUT01

it took em 9 mths for 1 of mine quite a while ago
Old 03-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Im pretty sure they have up to 12 months to issue it to you. Not good when you see it happen and think you got away with it just to have it turn up months later. I thought I got done over xmas break but still waiting to see if I did or not.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, I can confirm there is a big back log at camera section that process the fines. My brothers Mrs got pinged just over 3 months ago and just got the fine, he rang up to find out whats the go and thats what he was told.
His arguement is 3 months ago there may well have been a legitimate reason why she was 7 kays over the limit, bvut 3 months later can't remember why.

If you can afford a day in Court do it, you may get it thrown out because it ties up a lot of people in the prosecution of the matter, or the Magistrate might think it so trivial he may dismiss it or give you a lower fine.
As I say you gotta be prepared to spend all day in Court because if you haven't got a solicitor you go to the bottome of the pile.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

In Victoria there is a statute of limitations for traffic and summary offences. It is 12 months, not sure about WA.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 coupe
I just received an infringement in the mail, my mrs was driving the XR6 and got caught doing about 6k's over the limit.
The offence happened late october last year, yet the fine was issued late feb this year.
Does anyone know what the rules are here - can they fine you for something that happened 3, 6, 12 or more months ago?

You normally find that the state transport closes from dec to 1st week in jan ... i got my court date like 6 months after my infringment here in qld due to a 2 month period where QLD transport head office was closed ... gotta love the slack Aussie gov roflmao
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Hows this for nazi style governments. I recieved a letter from the New Zealand traffic revenue people about six months ago. Apparently I went through a red light back in 1988. They said that I was nominated the driver of the car. WTF. They could not tell me the rego plate of the car that was being driven or the time. Just the date. I had a choice, pay the $140 or take the issue to court (in person) or ignore it and have the Australian police come to my house and take anything of value to the value of $2500. If this is not government sponsored extortion I dont know what is. This one reason I will never again set foot in NZ or spend a penny there.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Hows this for nazi style governments. I recieved a letter from the New Zealand traffic revenue people about six months ago. Apparently I went through a red light back in 1988. They said that I was nominated the driver of the car. WTF. They could not tell me the rego plate of the car that was being driven or the time. Just the date. I had a choice, pay the $140 or take the issue to court (in person) or ignore it and have the Australian police come to my house and take anything of value to the value of $2500. If this is not government sponsored extortion I dont know what is. This one reason I will never again set foot in NZ or spend a penny there.
That is just awesome !! I can just imagine how they were looking at the 18 year old offence thinking how embarrassing it would to be to send it on ... then saw there was 140 bucks in it for them and sent it. I would elect to contest it ... adjourn it a few times and them pay the 140 bucks after they have spent way more than that in admin costs.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
That is just awesome !! I can just imagine how they were looking at the 18 year old offence thinking how embarrassing it would to be to send it on ... then saw there was 140 bucks in it for them and sent it. I would elect to contest it ... adjourn it a few times and them pay the 140 bucks after they have spent way more than that in admin costs.
To be honest, I just paid the Nazi's their $140 and vowed never to have anything to do with NZ or their products ever again.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be honest, I just paid the Nazi's their $140 and vowed never to have anything to do with NZ or their products ever again.
It's abysmal that their laws allowed it to happen in the first place. Even 12 months like vic is a bit rich.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
It's abysmal that their laws allowed it to happen in the first place. Even 12 months like vic is a bit rich.
The Aussie and NZ governments started data sharing a couple of years ago....... This is the result. Our government is no better.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #14
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would not of paid..I would've made them come after me..they would've thrown it in the to hard bin.

More detail to this tactic than can be posted here.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #15
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Did the letter say sherriffs or police? Its a big difference in Australia. In no state of Australia will the police come and remove property for unpaid fines. Wherever this was written it should be brought to the attention of the police in that state.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my mate has $2,000+?? worth of fines that he hasn't paid(police or anyone in that area hasn't contacted him either, he stil has his stuff lol) .. they keep sending reminders and addming more $$ and cents on to the original fine/s. he said the police told him they'll take the fines to court (the ones who issue them) and the court will give my mate a payment thing ?? anyways, this been going on for 2+ years ... probably doesn't help he has adhd .. he'll never learn !

all the fines was mainly riding a motor scooter around "unregistered" "no hemet" "no license" - he since got his license .. doesn't do it anymore.. i'm suprised :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Turbs
Did the letter say sherriffs or police? Its a big difference in Australia. In no state of Australia will the police come and remove property for unpaid fines. Wherever this was written it should be brought to the attention of the police in that state.
come to think about it, I think that it did say sheriff. I thought that it was a bit old western gung ho at the time. I thought that in the end you cant win against state run extortion, so I just paid to make it go away.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #18
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
my mate has $2,000+?? worth of fines that he hasn't paid(police or anyone in that area hasn't contacted him either, he stil has his stuff lol) .. they keep sending reminders and addming more $$ and cents on to the original fine/s. he said the police told him they'll take the fines to court (the ones who issue them) and the court will give my mate a payment thing ?? anyways, this been going on for 2+ years ... probably doesn't help he has adhd .. he'll never learn !

all the fines was mainly riding a motor scooter around "unregistered" "no hemet" "no license" - he since got his license .. doesn't do it anymore.. i'm suprised :P
Your mate will have sherriff's warrants out for him, but th eamount is not high enough to make them come after him. If the Sheriffs do find him, they will take him into a 'police gaol' (it means write him through the book at the police station, he won't actually go into the gaol) then release him on a payment plan.

The Attorney General of Victoria wanted to start a system where outstanding fines are linked to driver's licences and car regos. ie - Unpaid fines, suspend your licence and car reg. I can see this assisting people to accrue more fines rather than anything else, but that was his idea.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
AUTickford
XD197

Yep wa cops are pretty laid back most of the time[dont be a dick while your drivin, and they will leave you well alone]very lax about the late fines though.I was speedin and one of those ********* that guard the multinovas was setting up and he got me on the gun while speed checkin people and made out he was writing my licence plate down.HAHAHA loser, as far as i know you cant get done with a radar gun without bein stopped on the spot,something to do with proof of speeding duh.Those people must have no mates with a dumbass, people hater job like that.
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #20
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
I was speedin and one of those ********* that guard the multinovas was setting up and he got me on the gun while speed checkin people and made out he was writing my licence plate down.HAHAHA loser, as far as i know you cant get done with a radar gun without bein stopped on the spot,something to do with proof of speeding duh.Those people must have no mates with a dumbass, people hater job like that.
When they're setting up they have to get a reading by a laser gun and compare it to the reading on the money maker, sorry multinova, and thats what he would have been writing down, time date readings location etc.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post