Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which Compact SUV?
Ford Escape V6 13 10.66%
Holden Captiva V6/Deisel 4 3.28%
Honda CR-V 2.4L 6 4.92%
Mitsu Outlander V6 21 17.21%
Toyota Rav4 Upcoming 3.5 V6 8 6.56%
Mazda Tribute V6 7 5.74%
Mazda CX-7 2.3 Direct Injection Turbo 41 33.61%
Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 8 6.56%
Nissan new Xtrail 2.5L 14 11.48%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
perrys

Default Which compact SUV to buy?

Just wanna hear some opinions/stories from you guys (if you like SUVs). Im interested in "powerful" ones only...

Last edited by perrys; 17-06-2007 at 01:09 PM.
perrys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Ford Territory, 6 or turbo. Not much bigger/same size as above and is more powerful.
Old 17-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

You missed the Turbo Territory, easily more powerful than any on that list.
Come to think of it, the base model is too.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 17-06-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Territory is not a compact SUV.

My pick and that of most of the 'experts' is the x-trail (especially if you want to take it a bit off road).

It'll be interesting to see how good and 'when' the Ford Iosis X is released.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Try the upcoming Toyota Kluger in August. 200kw V6 To give you an Idea, that’s the same motor used in the Lexus RX350, which has achieved a 0-100 time of 7 seconds flat! The same motor also acheives mid 7's when it is used in the Aurion. Plus the Kluger will give you a bit more space than the Rav. (To make a direct comparison) Certainly dont go for the Captiva...I think you would be less than Captivated!

CX-7 is good also. Its quite powerful for a 2.4, and the luxury model is especially nice. Theres also a CX-9 due for release a bit later on with a 6 cyl.

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Escape & Tribute are too old now, CRV & X-Trail only 4cyl, don't like the CX7, would probably go for an Outlander over the Rav4 although the new V6 will make it pretty quick. I haven't really been following them closely but the Suzuki were always better offroad, the current model doesn't have a separate chassis any more (I think) but still retain decent offroad ability.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

CX7 is a great car!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
perrys

Sorry guys for not including Territory, but its just too big for my needs. I am seriously considering Rav4 V6 (instead of the bigger Kluger), since its the most powerful compact SUV outthere (200Kw). It feels special!
Old 17-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

CX7 Luxury, have driven and with spec level its hard to beat, 6spd auto Bose sound, leather , sunroof. And it does handle like a sports car which is more than i can say for the rest.
Old 17-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Escape. In black. It just looks awesome. Friend of mine's parents have a Tribute V6 Luxury and its a great car, but it doesn't have the nicer looks of its re-badged Escape twin IMO.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Outlander or Rav 4 here. Escape/Tribute is nice but just to old, 4 speed auto's is a bit beyond it- They are very nice drive otherwise, but yeah too old.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
Falcon Freak
Banned

Anything on that list but the Captiva.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

How about the Hyundai Tucson?? Can get them in V6 at the moment for just under $30K drive away with 5 year unlimited km warranty.

12 months ago I visited a mates panel shop. There was one of these Hyundais in being repaired from a shunt up the rear. The panel beater said a truck had it's way with it and he thought it'd be an insurance write-off. The insurance company decided to repair it. When he stripped off all the damaged panels he was suprised at how well the rear structure stood up and was also suprised at how well built they were.

Another mate is a sub-agent for a rental car mob. He has had 2 of these at his disposal and he thinks they're great. Drive well, have enough grunt, well built and great value. He has used a couple of these to make sure he didn't get a fluke one. He's looking at buying one himself as a daily runabout. His main job is an engine builder and is a muscle car nut so he understands cars.

There you have it, 2 very credible recommendations for a car that is one of the cheapest options. I'd get one myself based on this.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
mean & green
EL XR6

i know its getting old and its not on the list but the xt forrester (the turbo) is a pretty good thing have driven a few forresters and they go well ,and there is no end to the mods available for them if thats your thing ,look good in black too!!

but as a pick of the list go the cx-7 very hot(but you will get a xt cheaper and its nearly as good)
mean & green is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If you had seen the car show a few weeks back you would no that a XF Fairmont ghia with an EFI motor can go anywhere a RAV4 does, and almost go anywhere a Landcruiser does lol!
Old 17-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #16
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

I agree, the CX7 is a very sexy car, SUV or not. They have class and presence, I would get one of those over a Terry any day.

But its not quite a compact.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #17
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Honda CR-V auto 2.4L brother just got one, outstanding finish inside and after looking at 5 different models brands its the class leader in mid sized SUV's, IMO.
haggle hard $34,000 drive away for the auto base model, 7 spoke alloys $1500...nice looking unit..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #18
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 door pajero? that would be awesome and its compact
or a landrover small and compact go almost anywhere a cruiser or offroad 4x4 would, but a bit more class

i went mazda CX-7, cause the rest look like crap, arent as functional, or is a holden/daewoo.

in all honesty id go and check them all out, you need an SUV becuase you need the space to carry and power to haul but dont want a truck...so id go and see how the seats fold down, how far the doors open out, how much room in the car, the way the boot is designed to access it, towing capacity vs power figures, fuel econ and other things, then check whats parts cost..just go straight to spare parts section...

then price wise vs power vs features vs looks and feel

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #19
perrys

CX-7 is very very nice, but the fuel comsuption is terrible and some interior bits are very cheap (though the overall interior design is very sleek). The price of CX-7 is a little steep, too. I am waiting to see Rav4 V6's pricing.
Old 17-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #20
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I voted for the CX7 but I would also consider an Outlander out of those cars.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #21
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Either the CX7 or the RAV
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

If you manage to narrow your list down to the Escape or The Tribute, Go the Tribute.
Until the current model both were made in Japan, The current Escape is made in Tiawan. I think you will also find like I have with my Escape that Mazda parts that are interchangable are usually a lot cheaper than the Ford Part.

2 examples of this:
Radiator Tank From various Ford dealerships ranged between $250-$310
Exact same part from Mazda rec retail was $173.00 which I got at $130.00 trade price because they kept me waiting at the counter...I did not even ask for a further discount.

Inside Door handle assembly from vairous Ford Dealers between $150.-$190
Exact Same part from Mazda was $91
Old 17-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #23
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FYI CX-7 is a 17L/100 slurper for fuel. If you can live with the consumption then its a good car. Otherwise the Outlander or Rav 4
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #24
QualityCounts

I'll take the V6 Rav4 anytime. The CX-7 looks nice but it requires premium unleaded fuel, weighs 1771 kg, doesn't have a telescopic steering wheel, has a space saver spare and has inadequate storage. The V6 Rav4 weighs less (around 1650 kg) and has the same powerful but frugal 3.5L V6 engine found in millions of Toyota and Lexus vehicles worldwide. Plus it has downhill and hill start assists.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-13232,00.html
QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #25
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

out of all these cars i think the outlander VRX is the pick of the bunch.
the list of standard equipment on them is outstanding.fridge, dvd,side airbags,leather,bluetooth,ect. and at a very fair price.

when we bought the Turbo Tezza our second choice was the outlander. well not really first choice was a volkswagon touareg but only 5 seats.

The turbo Tezza has been a fantastic car, prolly the best family car i have owned. you should consider this a an option aswell.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #26
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Rav4's roll to easy. Not just my opinion, but NRMA's, and experience from 3 mates who rolled theirs (well, one of them was their parents car). I don't see why the Territory is too big... Half of these cars (listed) are the same size...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #27
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Ford escape= old an well and truly outdated.
Holden captiva= brilliant and well suited to my needs. Goes well off road and tow's a decent load daily withoput fuss.
Honda crv=excellent car and quality but sadly only 4cyl and no 7 seats
Mitsubishi outlander=very expensive for leather v6 and rear suspension cope's very poorly at towing and 7 seats look like 1950's designed cardboard bench.
Rav 4= unknown at the present time.
Mazda tribute= Great 10 years ago. Same as escape.
Mazda cx7= Cant stand the god awfull styling. Great quality but poor fuel consumption.
Suzuki vitara= Great style, quality, decent off road but poor outdated v6.
New xtrail= Too much like outdated model style wise. Nissan questionable on quality.
If your budget is good then my pick would be the new freelander for style and off road abilty but no 7 seats. Also the subaru tribeca if you can get past the wierd style.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #28
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Has anyone looked at the Nissan new Xtrail 2.5L there was one thing that let this car down having the speedo in the centre of the dash instead of directly in front of you makes it hard to look at.
I am surprised its allowed to be there to me its not safe, it turned us off the the car all together.
I have been told they do this so they can use the same dash board on the left hand drive Country's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7404255.jpg (37.6 KB, 61 views)

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #29
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Also the subaru tribeca if you can get past the wierd style.
I think they look great, odd yes, but atleast its different. But I like the CX7 aswell....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #30
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean & green
i know its getting old and its not on the list but the xt forrester (the turbo) is a pretty good thing have driven a few forresters and they go well ,and there is no end to the mods available for them if thats your thing ,look good in black too!!

but as a pick of the list go the cx-7 very hot(but you will get a xt cheaper and its nearly as good)
Anouther vote for a Suby here.
I have a h6 outback and love it.A forester is in the class you are looking at and the xt turbo will have the fun factor you want.