Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
FLYXR6
Silvester

Default Parking sensors on the front spoiler..

I am having my XR6 lowered next sat, and from experience from my last couple of cars unless i reverse park everywhere or leave my *** hanging out my front bumber (well lower section anyway) cops a absolute pounding from gutters and steps and the like. To the point..... I was wondering if anyone knew of a way of fitting an aftermarket parking sensor to the front spoiler low enough to catch gutters and bumb stops, but still hiden in the air dam or the like so it doesn't look stupid?

I know it sounds crazy but my mate and i thought it would save on a repair bill every 12 months, and may even stop the misses from ripping the bar clean off when she reverses out from a park that she has gone to far in (has happened twice before).

I hate that sickining crunch you get when you have gone to far and you know you have to back it up.

Food for thought... Any ideas guys???

(sorry if in wrong section mods)

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
FLYXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Sounds like a good idea.
Old 29-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an after market rear park sensor that I bought from Super Cheap for $40. It works very well. It starts beeping at a metre or more distance and is unajustable, so it would not work in the situation you are after.
I tried fitting the sensor out of sight to the mesh in the rear bumper of my F6 but when it was that low it was activated by the road surface.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I don't know if you've seen them but some cars have a best way I can decribe it is like a small car phone arieal on the left hand side of thier car that is angled down and towards the gutter. it is for this very reason, it scrapes before the bumpers do and because its attached to the car you can hear it. (obviously fitted near the mud flaps) You could perhaps fit this to the front also.
Old 29-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They were a good invention and were to stop you hitting the kerb with your wheels when parking. I tried to locate them for my kerb hitting wife's car but from what I could find out no one makes them any more.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

You could rig up a micro switch momentary on that activates a buzzer in the cabin. Maybe use a small peice of wire or simular that protrudes ~25 mm from the front bumper.

Video camera could also be installed.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
FLYXR6
Silvester

great tips guys, the micro switch sounds good. only thing is id have to switch it off at speed or ot would go off its head. Might go down to dick smiths and see what i can scrounge up.

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
FLYXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post