Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default january motor

just had a flick through this edition, there have a driving impression of the fpv range including gtp / f6 typhoon and tornado all in auto. pick of the range by a long way is the typhoon :1syellow1 . no performance figures listed tho.

rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000
just had a flick through this edition, there have a driving impression of the fpv range including gtp / f6 typhoon and tornado all in auto. pick of the range by a long way is the typhoon :1syellow1 . no performance figures listed tho.

last paragraph reads: so, is f6 typhoon finally the aussie muscle car king we always hoped it would be? very probably. in fact, it may just be the best aussie muscle car EVER MADE. all it needs to do is dispose of hsv's manual clubsport. quote
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
HSE2

And they plan on doing that evaluation next issue.

Disappointing to see the GT brand relegated to such an extent that it no longer warrants a direct comparison with its intended rival.

Obviously Motor doesn’t agree the six pot caters to a different mindset, either that or that mindset is perfectly happy to see the GT brand heralded as second string. There isn't much equality going on here despite claims to the contrary, not in the performance category.

Shame FPV couldn’t find it in the hearts to give the GT brand some much deserved credibility.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
jspec_sti

Agree, it's a scary parallel to when us Ford Enthusiasts were told we don't need anything more than an EFI six...
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladexr8
Agree, it's a scary parallel to when us Ford Enthusiasts were told we don't need anything more than an EFI six...
Big difference is this time around... the six has this miracle called a turbocharger hanging off the side...

FPV's own fault that the GT is inferior now. Its heavy, heavy and heavy. And doesn't make the power to compensate.

Long live Typhoon!!
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

If they are going to do the Clubby vs Phoon, they should throw the GT into the mix as well, at least run the numbers and a general impression
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
HSE2

While I agree with the "Long live Typhoon" comment the rest is a tad harsh.

The GT needs work in the suspension area to compensate for a weigh distribution issue that leads to the sensation felt behind the tiller.

If the P in GT-P stands for package then fair enough but personally I don’t think too many people these days particularly care how the performance gets there they just care that it is there. Sure there is the noise and Motor mention that twice in the small section they gave the GT-P but basically that’s what people are saying. It looks awesome and it sounds awesome and in isolation it is awesome but the F6 is deservedly the performance package and will be tested accordingly by the looks of it.

It’s hard to be hugely critical of the V8 program when FPV have to basically invent an engine in order to compete with the vast options the General can muster, but it is curious given the price structure. From comments on this site the GT-P would seem questionable but a F6-P would appear worthy of head line billing.

Enormous effort went into fixing any and all criticism leveled at F6 while the GT seems to be struggling on with the same journo observations that were made early in the piece. To me that doesn't suggest Total commitment. Perhaps the GT name was a wrong choice given peoples feelings towards that perceived pinnacle?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
It’s hard to be hugely critical of the V8 program when FPV have to basically invent an engine in order to compete with the vast options the General can muster,
But that's the thing... they DON'T have to. They CHOOSE to.

They had an engine available to them full well capable of laying waste to HSV's 300kW motor - it was in the 2003/04 Mustang Cobra. Did they use it? Nope. Instead, they built the inferior (and more expensive) Boss 290. So, like I say, it's their own fault that the Typhoon is smashing the GT.

The new GT500 Mustang will have a 450hp 450ftlbs (336kW 610Nm) 5.4 S/C V8... and they'll have the option of using it. Lets see if they do....

:
Old 14-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
While I agree with the "Long live Typhoon" comment the rest is a tad harsh.

The GT needs work in the suspension area to compensate for a weigh distribution issue that leads to the sensation felt behind the tiller.

If the P in GT-P stands for package then fair enough but personally I don’t think too many people these days particularly care how the performance gets there they just care that it is there. Sure there is the noise and Motor mention that twice in the small section they gave the GT-P but basically that’s what people are saying. It looks awesome and it sounds awesome and in isolation it is awesome but the F6 is deservedly the performance package and will be tested accordingly by the looks of it.

It’s hard to be hugely critical of the V8 program when FPV have to basically invent an engine in order to compete with the vast options the General can muster, but it is curious given the price structure. From comments on this site the GT-P would seem questionable but a F6-P would appear worthy of head line billing.

Enormous effort went into fixing any and all criticism leveled at F6 while the GT seems to be struggling on with the same journo observations that were made early in the piece. To me that doesn't suggest Total commitment. Perhaps the GT name was a wrong choice given peoples feelings towards that perceived pinnacle?
Amen bro......

You speak the truth!

Still glad I bought the GT.... not interested in being the quickest any more....
there will always be someone with more money to knock you off the top spot.

D:
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Shame FPV couldn’t find it in the hearts to give the GT brand some much deserved credibility.
I raised this issue in the FPV section, as I'm seriously keen on a Super Pursuit though I have reservations because the Tornado is perceived to be so much better overall.

I've gathered the opinion that even some of the V8 GT, GTP and Pursuit owners aren't phased by the fact that their premuim spec cars are eclipsed by their turbo 6 cousins.

To me this is a worry. The original GT was beaten by nothing locally when it was available, and given the EB and EL GTs were a shadow of the former cars, the new BA and BF series cars should be back at the top of the tree.

They promised so much when they were released, and now they should deliver. The cars now need to live up to their heritage more than ever if they are to continue the legend.

If I was a Phase III, I wouldn't be impressed!!!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
But that's the thing... they DON'T have to. They CHOOSE to.

They had an engine available to them full well capable of laying waste to HSV's 300kW motor - it was in the 2003/04 Mustang Cobra. Did they use it? Nope. Instead, they built the inferior (and more expensive) Boss 290. So, like I say, it's their own fault that the Typhoon is smashing the GT.

The new GT500 Mustang will have a 450hp 450ftlbs (336kW 610Nm) 5.4 S/C V8... and they'll have the option of using it. Lets see if they do....
yes but its all marketing, 4.6l vs 6.0l really doesnt sound too good when marketing an engine, plus they probably wanted to keep forced induction to the I6s. now FPV throwing a supercharger onto our Boss5.4, now, that would lay waste to both the motors you mentioned
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
yes but its all marketing, 4.6l vs 6.0l really doesnt sound too good when marketing an engine
That mustang has the 5.4lt we use here, not the 4V one i think though
Old 14-12-2005, 08:59 PM   #13
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
yes but its all marketing, 4.6l vs 6.0l really doesnt sound too good when marketing an engine, plus they probably wanted to keep forced induction to the I6s. now FPV throwing a supercharger onto our Boss5.4, now, that would lay waste to both the motors you mentioned
What makes you say it would lay waste to both engines? The Mustang engine basically is a Boss motor with lower comp and a supercharger? What's different? What about the Boss is sooo much better? It's a modular quad-cam 32-valve 5.4 litre V8... without the blower.

:
Old 14-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
That mustang has the 5.4lt we use here, not the 4V one i think though
The Mustang GT has a 4.6litre V8, 3 v per cyl, 224kW 434Nm (300hp 320ftlbs).

The upcoming Shelby Cobra GT500 will have a 5.4litre V8, 4 v per cyl, supercharged, 336kW 610Nm (450hp 450ftlbs). For US$39,995....

:
Old 15-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #15
gtfpv
GT

this topic is peerssing me off. i might start working my boss 290. if it has so much more potential then why hasn't it or why shouldn't it .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #16
Valknutr

they build the engines so people can work them, whats the big deal?? stop complaining everyone and go make your engines purr
oh and i wouldnt mind a new GT-P when im older like 45 or something, but since im 20 ill take a typhoon or tornado thanks