Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
dylancox

Default Opening a Car Wash

Has anybody opened an auto car wash system or know someone who has? I would like to invest in one, but don't quite know where to start. I am able to source the machine, but who would be qualified to install it? How about finding a site, is it possible to rent out space from a shopping mall/service station rather than buying a site? Cheers.

dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Opening a Car Wash

A lot of the hand car wash cafe places are going into receivership atm because we're not in a drought anymore and people just wash their own cars generally.
If you had your location in your profile it would help.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

There's a carwash near my house, and its always busy.

The problem with these carwash's is its all done in a way thats.

Get in, get out within 10mins even when the car is "polished"

I had my car done there for the giggles, they 'polished' it, i went across the road and hit it with the high power hose, roughly 3 hours later. and all that smoothness was gone. Poor quality work, just to get the money in.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Maybe drop down to a couple of your local ones and ask some questions and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Whats prompted the idea to open one mate? Is there money in the car wash business that I'm not aware of?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest I would of thought anybody who really cares for their car like people on this forum would not trust taking their car to a car wash.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
freeze_dk

youll never lose with a carwash if you got good service and prices.. and stuff the machines.. all you need is a couple industrial vacuums,, and a couple of pressure washes.. then soaps,, chemicals,, chamios sponges.. the car wash i always go to is always packed,, sometimes have nowhere to park thats how busy it is
freeze_dk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

I hate to be racist, but its all prodominantly staffed by Indians, Students mainly. Who need to make a cheap buck.

I applied for work at one near my house, they offered me $13 an hour, and told me that was the "going rate"

Put that into theory, when they have 4 staff per car.

$40 for a wash and "polish"
$20 for a vaccuum.
$30 for a interior shine
$10 for a window clean.
or all of the above for $70.

on average of just wash and 'polish' .. 10mins per car/60mins p/hour.

6cars per hour, 6x70 = $420 per hour.
8 staff on in a single day on a saturday. = Wage(13 p/h)xStaff(8)xHours(8) = $832 daily wages.

Straight away they're -$832.

Then over an 8 hour period, 6 cars per hour. Cars(6 p/h) x Wash & Polish (70) x Hours (8) = $3,360.

Total Gained (3,360) - Total Wages (832) = Total Profit (2,528) Per DAY.
1x20L bottle of product will get you close to 30 cars washed, and is roughly $140 per bottle.

There is money to be made in the Car Wash Industry.

Last edited by R1XSTA; 02-08-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Hard part would be getting past your local council mate with problems with water run off, chemicals, recycling water etc. But good luck, is a great idea and doesn't matter what the business need to get past these first issues. There might be a few up front costs which might take a few months to break even etc.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1XSTA
I hate to be racist, but its all prodominantly staffed by Indians, Students mainly. Who need to make a cheap buck.

I applied for work at one near my house, they offered me $13 an hour, and told me that was the "going rate"

$20 for a vaccuum.
$30 for a interior shine
$10 for a window clean.

8 staff on in a single day on a saturday. = Wage(13 p/h)xStaff(8)xHours(8) = $832 daily wages.

Then over an 8 hour period, 6 cars per hour. Cars(6 p/h) x Wash & Polish (70) x Hours (8) = $3,360.

1x20L bottle of product will get you close to 30 cars washed, and is roughly $140 per bottle.

I gues you do not know much about business

If it was that easy to make $2500 in a day everyone would be doing it

Even though they may be paying $13 per hour staff costs at least double to triple that per hour, there is a LOT more to it, workers comp, public liability, sick days, annual leave entilements etc etc all have to be payed.

Rent, insurance, power, water, council rates, penalty rates, gas, tax, accountants, cashier staff, cleaning staff, maintenance on premises, loans for equipment, equipment maintenance and replacement etc etc all have to be payed for.

And this is only the top of my head, and with the above you are assuming that the guys (staff) will be working every minute of the day, with no rest, no meals, no lunch, no morning tea, and that there is cars waiting in line to be washed from the minute the place opens till it closes. and that no staff stand around ever waiting for cars to come in.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Robos F6

And how about days lost when it rains. You still have to pay your overheads and staff.
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

I'm more than aware of them. I listed them as your start base. I didn't want to start moving into the overheads, the costs. This is your basic margin for your basic day, and you remove the overheads from this cost run into a weekly figure.

I know about running a business, as i'm the assistant manager at my work currently, and dealing with all the overheads involved at the moment. we have our base figure, and work from that.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a bit of car washing when I was at school. I went around the nursing homes with a wheelbarrow & my stuff in it because I didnt have a car.

It was a great way to make some pocket money because the residents didnt have to go anywhere & alot of the older people found it hard to wash their car properly. Alot would book me in to wash the car the same time every month so there was alot of repeat business. Also I eneded up doing thier family's cars aswell when they visited on the weekends.

Turned into a great buisiness, but I left to do a signwriting Apprenticeship. I should have kept doing it.

Why dont you look into something like a mobile car wash aswell. Less start up, but I suppose more work in the long run. But you can charge more per car.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
StrokedXT
Banned

Sounds like ge means an auto wash, so not many helpful replies so far

The only bit I can help with is yes you can lease space at servos, shopping centers etc.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this sounds right in theory but a lot of these operations are paying cash in hand to students on visas who work over their hours, or illegals. no workers comp no sickies probably no public liability
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
I gues you do not know much about business

If it was that easy to make $2500 in a day everyone would be doing it

Even though they may be paying $13 per hour staff costs at least double to triple that per hour, there is a LOT more to it, workers comp, public liability, sick days, annual leave entilements etc etc all have to be payed.

Rent, insurance, power, water, council rates, penalty rates, gas, tax, accountants, cashier staff, cleaning staff, maintenance on premises, loans for equipment, equipment maintenance and replacement etc etc all have to be payed for.

And this is only the top of my head, and with the above you are assuming that the guys (staff) will be working every minute of the day, with no rest, no meals, no lunch, no morning tea, and that there is cars waiting in line to be washed from the minute the place opens till it closes. and that no staff stand around ever waiting for cars to come in.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you install and auto wash and 3-4 self serve bays in the right spot you will never have to work again,

trouble is most of the good posts are taken but if you can think of someone to put one go for it.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the bloke who runs a car wash in Geelong, from what he tells me, and he gave no exact figures, the start up costs for these operations are massive and will take a while to get on top of. It does make money eventually, but you need time and big $$$ up front.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #17
GT-Pete
Breaking stuff...

Quote:

$20 for a vaccuum.
$30 for a interior shine
$10 for a window clean.

As others have said there are a LOT more things to consider before you know that this will be a viable business. "worrying about calculating overheads later" is not a wise business strategy.
GT-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
GT-Pete
Breaking stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia
I know the bloke who runs a car wash in Geelong, from what he tells me, and he gave no exact figures, the start up costs for these operations are massive and will take a while to get on top of. It does make money eventually, but you need time and big $$$ up front.
Like any business........ lol, hence why we are not all filthy rich running our own carwashes
GT-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Pete
Like any business........ lol, hence why we are not all filthy rich running our own carwashes
lol I get that and it was actually my point, but I have had this conversation many a times where people think carwashes are the easiest buck to make, and eventually they may be, but fair dinkum like you said, if it were that easy we'd all be doing it...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
Scott

If you opened a carwash in my street, I'd use it.  
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

I assumed you meant a manual car wash. Not a labour intensive and not a brush wash. If you haver the credit up front and with the right location, you will make a buck or two.

Do not go for a brush washer, or prepared to be sued.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #22
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you should call it "the car day spa" and attract all the yummy mummies
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #23
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Do not go for a brush washer, or prepared to be sued.
they all have a disclaimer on their terms " all care but no responsibility" they cover themselves legally, also they normally quote a large number of things making a car unsuitable for the wash , in reality most cars have something fitting the unsuitable criteria so if someone tries to sue they just say you shouldn't have used the was your car was not suitable

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #24
Tobey
BF Ute...

I used to work at a hand car wash, if it rains, you dont pay your workers.

We were on cash in hand, no tax, etc.

Biggest thing would be setting up the premises with necessary drainage/filtering/recycling...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Don't mean to be a cynic, but if they don't pay workers comp etc, and pay in hand, how good is the recycling/filtering?

Surely there's non-dolphin killing car soaps around now, and they use that little with the high pressure washes that this shouldn't be an issue now. Is it? I don't know.

There's one near where I live and there are always people washing their cars, there's a couple more where the helpful people from the sub-continent wash the cars, and they are always packed.

They also sell other stuff like coffee (what's the mark up there? 100%?) and other food and junk stuff for cars. There has to be money in it. But the location would be the killer.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
they all have a disclaimer on their terms " all care but no responsibility" they cover themselves legally, also they normally quote a large number of things making a car unsuitable for the wash , in reality most cars have something fitting the unsuitable criteria so if someone tries to sue they just say you shouldn't have used the was your car was not suitable
You're preaching to the choir mate. :P
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #27
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:

$20 for a vaccuum.
$30 for a interior shine
$10 for a window clean.

Those figures are not a 'basic margin for a basic day', they are a MAXIMUM revenue possible for that crew.
You state the time figures on a basic 'wash & polish' of 10 min. which you get $40 for, then you do your sums on charging them $70 for it.
Please explain.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #28
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
"all care but no responsibility" got dealt with a long time ago

ACC warranties and refunds pdf

Quote:
Services – ‘no responsibility’ policies

Service providers must also not mislead
consumers about their rights – for example, by
implying that consumers have no rights if services
are not carried out with due care and skill.

Misleading claims may include:

• No responsibility for loss or damage.
• Goods left for repair at your own risk.
• All care taken but no responsibility.

ACCC action against businesses that
mislead consumers

The ACCC treats misleading conduct very
seriously, and can take court action against
businesses that mislead or deceive consumers
about their rights. This can result in fines of up
to $1.1 million for businesses and $220 000 for
individuals.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #29
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Value for money is a big factor. We have 2 washes here, Car wash one has 3 bays and 1 automatic. The bays just do your usual stuff, pre soak, wash, clear coat etc. The auto wash is just high pressure boom that rotates around your car. The Auto is between $10 and $14 depending on what you want done, the manual bays are $2 for 2mins.

Car Wash number 2 it has 5 bays and an auto. The Auto one looks like a brush wash but it is actually pressure spray, the nozzles on top move side to side and as they come over the car, they come down on a boom and once at front that boom twists so it is facing the bumper and then does it's side to side thing. It also has 2 wheel scrubs and it is pretty good at cleaning the rims, but if I had chromies or really expensive rims I prob wouldn't want it. This wash does all your usual stuff, but it also dries. A wash is between $10 and $15, $10 is basic, $13 is everything but dry and $15 is the works, so already they are charging the ame as the first car wash, but offering way better service. As for their manual bays, all have wash, wax, clear coat etc, but they also have a blow dryer so you can dry your car. For your $2 you get 3mins, now that is the best value for money I have seen at any car wash I have ever been to. They also have drink and coffee machines, carpet shampooer, 3 vacuum's and a dog wash. There is also a friendly person there who walks around and will show you how to use the car wash if need be, also a few times been washing the car and noticed my time not running out and it because the owner has just randomly gone around and dropped credits into the bays people are using. You can guess which one I use lol. It is all about service and value for money.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #30
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

A mate of mine has one in country NSW. Looked at the site, land was relatively cheap from the council, plenty of fishing traffic, drought in full swing.

After seven years he has now paid off the equipment and is starting to get a reasonable return from it. Until now he has just provided jobs for the workers and paid some tax.

He'll make his money when the council move through traffic one block back so it passes his car wash and he'll sell the site to a developer.

Conclusion:

The money is in the location and the land upon which the car wash operates. You have to find a good location cheap.

Droughts are good for business, full dams are not.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post