Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
crannersEL
Banned

Question Is this new Law for real (vic members)

As ive just bought a set of rims for my car this topic has become of interest to me. The tread on the rears isnt the best <50%, so the other night i mentioned to my mate that i might put my stockies back onto the rear wheels only. He told me that its against the law to have rims on the front and stockies on the rear and that his mate has been warned with the following,

* 1st offence $175 Fine + 2 D points
* Loss of Licence for 3 Months
* Loss of Licence for 6 Months
* Car taken away and sold :

My mates, mate had the first step inforced which is the fine and points, the cops actually came around to his house after seeing the car out on the road.

He told me the new law started on the 1st of June which means its been in power for almost a month.

My question is has anyone had any trouble with this so called new law, or is it false information that i shouldn't listen too?

Thanks Paul

Last edited by crannersEL; 29-06-2006 at 06:26 PM.
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
XzLr8
Banned

i was driving my car wit rims on the front and stockies on the back and i passed a million cop cars and they didnt even give me a glance and im on my p's to. I couldnt tell u indefinetly these laws are real but ive had no problem what so ever.
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am not aware of this being the case but will make enquiries. My understanding is that the wheels and tyres should be of the same type across the rear and across the front, but not front to rear.

Can't have 8" by 10" one side and 8" by 8" the other, although not sure how this works with spares and space savers....
Old 29-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
crannersEL
Banned

I dont know how i can find out information about this, the vic roads site has no such information i can see

Last edited by crannersEL; 29-06-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 29-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cranners wait til redrum gets back to ya he can find out anything about the laws the police have in power at the moment

also look for the indicators that you see normally below the tread height is the tread worn so that the indicators are the same height as the tread if so they are unroadworthy if not they are roadworthy

hope this helps mate

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
crannersEL
Banned

What happends if they are roadworthy on one half but not the other half, i bought these tyres with the idea they were 75%, but the blokes given me two not so good tyres :-( and new ones are $150ea. Thats why the stockies going back on is my only option...
Old 29-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Your mate's info is false. It is quite legal to drive around with your interceptor wheels on the back and alloys on the front.

This look in my humble opinion looks ****e and will attract attention as most that do this, usually do lots of burn outs..........
Old 29-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

wow cool, you to can look like a sweet as VL!

Your asking to get pulled over if you do it, so just dont. Looks povo anyway. If you are going to do burnouts find a place where you can switch back.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
crannersEL
Banned

Funnyist part of all is im on my P's and drive like a grandma, only ever done the one burnout which was by accident in the wet, but i guess its others that spoil things for everyone else and as soon as the police see the P plate and the stockies they pounce.

Thank you very much Redrum for your quick reply, didnt think i would get an answer that quick. I owe you a drink mate :-)

Cheers Paul

Last edited by crannersEL; 29-06-2006 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Because heljas says so
Old 29-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Your mate's info is false. It is quite legal to drive around with your interceptor wheels on the back and alloys on the front.

This look in my humble opinion looks ****e and will attract attention as most that do this, usually do lots of burn outs..........
That used to be the case, i think it's now a case of tossers doing it so people think they are CAPABLE of doing a skid.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Kryton

if you need 2 stockies on the car then put them on the front and put your alloys on the rear. you cant be accused of doing burnouts then.
this is what i did with the AU and the cop even mentioned that it is very rare to see 2 stockies on the front instead of the rear. no accusation of illegal activity and i was on my way.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

No. Comon, it came from a "mate of a mate".

The cop might have been a ***** and written it up as something else but defects dont carry demerit points although its only in the last year or so that they started issuing fines along with them too.

Most likely they saw your mate driving like a dick in a car that looked like it did alot of burnouts and came to his house to scare him about the new laws coming into effect July 1st.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 06:59 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

CrannersEL - I know on another forum, a guy is getting a RWC and he has put standards on the back and mags on the front to pass as his rear mags had low tread.

I'd say you were spun some BS.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #14
all4ford
XW 351

A mate of mine WAS pulled up by police in Campbelltown, NSW, and told he had to change his back wheels from stockers to match the front mags. I'm not sure if police actually have any authority, but they DID do it, and he was forced to come back to mine to get his other wheels.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:00 AM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless your coming back from the drags or a circuit, IMO if you have stockies on, you're asking for trouble. May not be fair but that's how it goes because of so many idiots who feel the need to light them up every single corner there is.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
Jet-Star

Having Stockies on the back seems to be the "in thing" for dunny-dore drivers, there's always some nob driving round town through the main street, windows down, subs cranking with stockies on the rear...I mean come on guys...How much cooler can you get?
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
EA2BA
PM me if you want

One good reason you "may" get fined for it is having different size wheels front to back, i.e. 18" rims at the fornt and 15" rims at the back, no car that I know has been ADR compliant released this way.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #18
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tell the copper you've been getting a few punctures lately and these are your spare wheels - the other 2 have punctures
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
if you need 2 stockies on the car then put them on the front and put your alloys on the rear. you cant be accused of doing burnouts then.
this is what i did with the AU and the cop even mentioned that it is very rare to see 2 stockies on the front instead of the rear. no accusation of illegal activity and i was on my way.
When ever i need to put my stockies on (rooted tyres etc etc), i always put them on the rear.. Reason ? I want the best tyres on the front that i can have, i dont want my 50% tread 215's on the front, when i could have 90% tread 235/245's. I think you might find others have this reason as well, not just to look cool or do burnouts.
Old 30-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #20
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
When ever i need to put my stockies on (rooted tyres etc etc), i always put them on the rear.. Reason ? I want the best tyres on the front that i can have, i dont want my 50% tread 215's on the front, when i could have 90% tread 235/245's.
well, my stockies were on the front for that reason....they had more tread.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #21
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Laughed so hard today, on holidays in Port Maquarie in NSW and saw a civic with stockies on the rear! Kinda defeats the purpose if he only had them on for burnouts. Maybe he has them on cause he likes to use his handbrake? ha. who knows. looked mega GHEY anyway!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 03:00 AM   #22
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Where I live , if you see a few young guys with stockies on the back & Mags on the front Fri or Sat nights , you can guarantee there's a "Burn-out Comp" just out of town . Dead give-away...

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #23
The Monty
Just slidin'

Didnt see this thread before I started my one in the tire tech forums. Im driving with 15's on the back and 17's on the front as the 17/s on the back were worn when I got them and have just slowly worn down to the wear marker. The actual overall diameter difference is only .2 of an inch, which is sweet stuff all, and I have printed off a conversion for both for if I do get pulled up. I only left the 17's on the front as the AU has very light steering and when putting the 235's on, it tightened it up a bit, so I thought Id leave them on the front.
I am also fairly aware of stockcars from overseas coming out with 18's and 19's, and 19's and 20's on them from the factory.