Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speed limit survey. Your idea, what you think it is, what roads dangerous...etc*pics*

I just went for a drive today, did 1050km.

Roads I came across were these:

A) Dirt roads, these often go from town to town along train tracks maybe not too far away from and kind of parallel with main roads. In perhaps 200km I saw 1 tractor, 2 farmers. Can go from sand, holes, mud etc.

B) Main country highways, maybe see an average of a car per 2-5 minutes. Usually in good condition. Did perhaps 200km on these.

C) Small Country roads, perhaps see 1 car per hour. and maybe a truck every 2 hours. Often bumpy and potholed and sometimes stock on roads. These roads go anywhere you could ever need to go between towns. I did maybe 250km on these.

D) Freeways, safe roads with barriers, no stop signs etc, and not much traffic at most times of the day and night. 2 to 4 lanes of one way traffic. I did 400km on these.

road survey -
1. give these roads a speed limit you think would be appropriate. and
2. what do you think the actual speed limit is?
3. which ones do you think are the most dangerous at a good speed 120ish and most safe?
4. which ones would, do you think have police patrols?
5. so which ones would someone drive on and speed on to get where they want to go quick and without a ticket?

Last edited by EDManual; 29-06-2006 at 11:07 PM.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So why are there police on the safe roads like the Hume, and not on the little roads? Its wierd.
Old 29-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
VSSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
So why are there police on the safe roads like the Hume, and not on the little roads? Its wierd.
How do you know they are not???
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I have done tens and tens of thousands of km down dirt roads and little country roads and have NEVER seen a police car with radar of any sort. That is NEVER in 10 years in NSW, VIC, SA, ACT, ....
Old 29-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

A) Guess Unsigned (ie 100) - Should be 80 (70 maybe but they wont do that)
B) Guessing 100 Should be 110
C) Guessing 60- Should be 80 - Probably the most dangerous road there though
D) Guessing 100- Should be 130

The small country road is probably the most dangerous road there in my opinion.

Highway and Freeway would have Police patrols

Probably you could get away with speeding on the dirt and back country roads. That lattter in my opinion is probably the most dangerous of all the roads though.

*I must admit i would probably fly along the counrty back road

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the answer to my question, is that there arent enough people speeding on the small roads, so they dont bother. Why would you have a police car on a dirt road for a week and catch one maybe dangerous speeder when you could have caught 100 safe speeders on the Hume doing 10km over.
Old 29-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. A.Unlimited/60km near towns,60kmh and 80km/h.
B.Both 100kmh
C.80kmh and 100kmh
D.100kmh

2. Close to the ones i've mentioned.

3. I'd say the most dangerous would be the 3rd photo,it looks like it has a muddy surface so any loss of control your gooooone.

4. Thats easy....the main arterial roads and freeways.

5.Well i'd travel as fast as i was comfortable with on the dirt roads,I wouldnt speed on the freeways as you never know where a cop car could be sitting around a corner with a blow dryer and proberbly travel a bit quicker on the small country roads as there aint many cars travelling on them except locals but when its dusk or dawn i would go slower than the posted limit cause of skippy.

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny, every photo there is a 100zone but the 2nd last which is a 110 zone. I study my maps before trips and head for either the dirt or small country roads instead of the others, as its more fun, you dont have to be looking at your speedo all the time, you are actually concentrating on your driving as its interesting you rather than boring you. You dont have to feel bad about having some fun.

Its not the way it should be though, and it would be better if we could drive like this(having an interesting drive) on the safe roads instead of having to go to these poor roads...
Old 30-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

#1 - Dirt Roads - 40km/h. Things can get very dangerous on dirt roads, which are generally places of poor grip and such. Had a very bad experience once...

#2 - Main Country Highways - 80km/h. Look like they can comfortably support that speed, not too slow, not too fast...

#3 - Small Country Roads - 60km/h.

#4 - Freeways - 150km/h.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Is that a UFO in one of those pix?? (refer to C)

Back on topic, It would appear that some roads are not in any condition to handle high speeds, however if driven safely, it shouldn't be a problem. If it is an open road and you can see far enough in the distance, then 100 is safe speed.

I do agree to a degree with Steffo. #4 is correct.
#1 can be travelled safely @ 60kph.
#2 can travel up to 100, depending on the site ahead.
#3 can travel up t0 80, again depending on how far ahead you can see. (bends should be 60)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a supporter of upping the speed limits. All of those roads with the exception of the dirt ones I could easily go over 100 comfortably. But then again we are only seeing snippets here.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are the sort of roads that I spend a lot of time driving on.

Appropriate speed limits:
Dirt roads - 100km/h
Back country roads - 100km/h
Main Country roads - 120km/h
Highways - 140km/h

Actual Limits
Dirt roads - 100km/h
Back country roads - 100km/h
Main Country roads - 10km/h
Highways - 110km/h

Safest at 120km/h in order
Highway
Back country road
Main country road
Dirt road

Police Patrol both the Highways and Main Country roads.

If you want to get somewhere fast, all of the alternatives need to be considered. Sometimes the main roads are a lot more direct and hence the trip time will be faster taking the main road and strictly observing the speed limit. Other times the back roads are more direct and are unpoliced.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 08:42 AM   #13
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
#1 - Dirt Roads - 40km/h. Things can get very dangerous on dirt roads, which are generally places of poor grip and such. Had a very bad experience once...

#2 - Main Country Highways - 80km/h. Look like they can comfortably support that speed, not too slow, not too fast...

#3 - Small Country Roads - 60km/h.

#4 - Freeways - 150km/h.
Would I be correct in my assumption that you live in a city?
Old 30-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
Miss_XR6

i dont think its a UFO i think its just a big bug that got killed on the windscreen
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

a) Dirt and gravel roads per pic, DEFAULT 80km/h and signed using the R4-12 "End Speed Limit" sign. (R4-12 = This sign is meant to invoke particular caution, alerting you to such hazards as hidden driveways, rail crossings, soft edges, poor surface, a length of road with camber issues or other hazards).

b) Rural asphalt roads and highways DEFAULT 80km/h UNLESS otherwise signposted, here, many would be signposted 100 - 110km/h.

c) Freeways; signposted 80 - 130km/h range AND (//) for certain lengths where median barrier and U-Turn bay barrier is in place.

Victoria will *not* raise speed limits full stop, end of discussion.

On the other hand, we here in NSW . . .
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #16
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why wont Vic raise speed limits?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #17
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Dude if our roads where i am were like that i would be in heaven
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
the answer to my question, is that there arent enough people speeding on the small roads, so they dont bother. Why would you have a police car on a dirt road for a week and catch one maybe dangerous speeder when you could have caught 100 safe speeders on the Hume doing 10km over.
Got it in one. A simple case of supply and demand, if they (the HP) want to get their numbers up for their quota (that does'nt exist, yeah right) they have to go where there are the most potential customers.
Old 30-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love dirt roads myself, and always head for them :-) I get practice in for rally racing on weekends....

Its a laugh passing cars doing 100 or so on highways, while you are hooting along a parallel dirt road making massive plumes of dust!

Last edited by EDManual; 30-06-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 30-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Would I be correct in my assumption that you live in a city?
Well, my location thing on the left does say 'Sydney, NSW, Australia'
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Why wont Vic raise speed limits?
This would go against the millions of dollars spend on "Speed Kills".

Whilst the government have convinced the general public that moving fast will end life, they will never increase speeds on the roads.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #22
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Well, my location thing on the left does say 'Sydney, NSW, Australia'
That it does.

I just doubted anybody from the country would ever suggest such ridiculously low speed limits for dirt and country roads and such high speed limits for Freeways. If people aren't capable of driving at more than 40 km/h on a dirt road they sure are not capable of driving at 150 km/h on a freeway. In fact if they can't drive at more than 40 km/h on a dirt road they probably couldn't even drive at more than 40 km/h on a wet road.
Old 30-06-2006, 04:09 PM   #23
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, I'll be a bit controversial. I'm sick of having City based people with no understanding of rural issues dictate policy to the rest of the state.
A) Unrestricted, The conditions can vary so much on a blacksoil road like this that it might be safe to do 150 KM/H on it or it might be dangerous to do 40
B) 120 Km /h or, in an ideal world unrestricted.
C) Unrestricted
D) 140 Km /H

The definition of unrestricted would mean that you could prove to the police's satisfaction that you were not driving in a dangerous manner or inappropriately for the conditionsif you were pulled over.
I have driven hundreds of thousands of kilometres throughout NSW in the last 20 years on roads like the ones shown and have discovered that the best balance of economy and time to cover distance equates to around 130 Km/h. Unfortunately nowhere in our fine state is this legal.
I would hasten to add that these limits could not apply to roads like the Pacific Highway as the amount of traffic is simply too large for the dual lane infrastructure to handle.
And for Steffo, maybe you should drive from Bourke to Wanaaring at 40 Km/h to see if your opinion changes.
By the way I don't expect that any of the above will ever change but at least I can take comfort from the fact that most of the roads pictured above would be very rarely policed anyway. (everyone knows police dont like to get HP vehicles dirty)
/Rant

Regards,
Tote
Old 30-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
And for Steffo, maybe you should drive from Bourke to Wanaaring at 40 Km/h to see if your opinion changes.
Agreed, unless it's raining, then you'd be lucky to get up to 40k's without exiting offroad and into the table drain
Old 30-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #25
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I would like to see Steffo get the short distance from Deniliquin to Jerliderie at 60 km/h. I suspect he would end up doing 140 to 160 km/h like everybody else does.
Old 30-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:

Regards,
Tote
Ive done that stretch in the Hilux,pulling a trailer with 2 quads and 2 bikes on,4 up in the cab with a heap of gear for 2 weeks away.
It was very dry and dusty,like driving on sand,it's very tireing only being able to do 60 tops on those long stretches. When I can I go as fast as I safely can on the back roads, who wants to spend 17hrs behind the wheel if you can do it in 12.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 07:17 PM   #27
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The strezlecki track is an interesting dirt road. When wet, its hard to even stay on the road at 50! But when dry, I am happy sitting on 160-180* or so. And I'm still here. Many SA dirt roads are hard and as grippy as asphalt and smoother!

The roads above, on dirt I like to drive to the conditions, *************** Another day, maybe 50 is all you could do cos of mud or whatever.

*what I say may or may not be the truth*

*********edited by xa coupe... you know forum policy*********

Last edited by XA-Coupe; 01-07-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 30-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #28
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

The Gov wont raise limits because it would disagree with the speed kills campaignes.

That said, most rural roads are designed according to a design speed. Each curve (either horizontal or vertical) is required to have set minimum sight distances, as well as grade changes for drainage.

This would certainly have a large impact on the max speed of roads.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post